PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Metal

MrDevine
09-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Just read an interesting article here, posted on HC

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/karn/2008/0108.html

It makes a lot of sense to me in regards to commodity prices, vis a vis cost overruns on new projects contributing to mergers of existing mines ipso facto reduced spending on explorations due to inflation of all contributing currencies.

Anyone have any ideas on recycling plays on the ASX?

Cheers, Mr D.

rev
09-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I think CMV may be in that field.

whiteheron
09-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Metals recycling would seem to be potentially a high growth/profit business for the future with the high base metals prices now being obtained

I watched a TV programme last night on a huge metals recycling operation in the UK and must say it was most impressive
Recycling must become ever increasingly important as raw materials continue in short supply and the world becomes more conscious of environmental matters

I intend to explore recycling investment opportunities in Aussie and will be appreciative of any leads

winner69
09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Sims Group SMG has been a success story on the ASX over the last few years more than doubling it's share price

Global and recycles a variety of metals and plastics

slam
09-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Sims Group SMG has been a success story on the ASX over the last few years more than doubling it's share price

SGM ;)
Cheers
Slam

Steve
09-01-2008, 02:56 PM

They take scrap metal out of Dunedin by the boat load! It's shipped to China I think...

kura
09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I hold some shares in SOE (Sauls Private Equity, a small investment company holding listed and unlisted investments) they have a holding in CMA Corporation (ASX code CMV) which has recycling interest in NZ as well as Oz.

To be honest I know nothing much about CMA, but if you are doing research on the sector, you may as well add it to your list to look at.

MrDevine
09-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks all, will have a look, report anything more I find.

Mr D

kline
10-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Just read an interesting article here, posted on HC

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/karn/2008/0108.html

It makes a lot of sense to me in regards to commodity prices, vis a vis cost overruns on new projects contributing to mergers of existing mines ipso facto reduced spending on explorations due to inflation of all contributing currencies.

Cheers, Mr D.
Have a look at Intec(INL) on ASX.They have a process to recover metal out of residues

J_Gold
11-09-2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?8548-Sims-Metal-Management-%28SGM%29

Anyone watching Sims Metal Management? (ASX: SGM)

Worlds largest listed metal and electronic recycling company
Its subsidiary Sims Group UK ltd acquired Dunn Brothers a month ago so its a big UK player.

Year end 25 August 2011 resulted in a 51.6% increase in Net Profit after-tax from 2010 using only an 18.7% increase in revenue. EPS increased 44.7%.

Was a $48 stock back in mid-2008. Nailed in the GFC. Fought back to $28 mid-2009, was a $21 stock at the start of the year and its taken a massive beating down to $14ish.
IMO very overly-beaten. Think it should return to its start-of-year price and beyond over the next 6 months if its performance keeps going like it has been. The future looks promising for this one.

Anyone else have an opinion?

airedale
12-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Definitely one for the watch list to see if it finds support somewhere, but I wouldn't dive in yet.3605

drillfix
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Actually, Airdale and J Gold I myself am not too keen the 60 minute chart there with SGM making another 60 min lower low.

Like many stocks, this one seems to be continuing its current downtrend and if it breaches its yearly low of 13.36 then surely that is enough to put anybody adding such risk, dont ya think?

Snoopy
12-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Onesteel (OST) recycles mainly steel in Australia and in the USA, transforming it into billet for further manufacture. However this is more a production hedge against the Whyalla blast furnance that they also own so they can offset high ore and coal costs if they need to. I wouldn't class OST fundamentally as a metal recycler.

SNOOPY