PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

DoctorG
22-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Soon I will hopefully have abou NZ$700,000 to invest, what advice could anyone give me?

rev
22-01-2008, 07:47 PM
A drug habit and some lady-boys should take care of that in no time.

Otherwise have a look at a horse, lots of fun on race days.

AMR
22-01-2008, 07:54 PM
At the moment, leave it in a bank for those juicy interest rates. Global markets are an absolute mess. Spend a few bucks buying sharemarket books first and then study technical analysis and fundamental analysis. Knowledge is the most important thing here. Any money spent here will be the best money spent

How is your risk profile? Can you live with losing 40% of your capital? Are you close to retirement?

shasta
22-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Soon I will hopefully have abou NZ$700,000 to invest, what advice could anyone give me?

We get these threads started all the time, but to help you to help yourself.

1. Have you invested in shares before?

2. If not, whats the attraction now/whats your risk profile?

3. Most advice you will get from this site (ie AMR) will suggest the following:

* - Buy some books & read up/research, i recommend "The Intelligent Investor" as a MUST READ, for anyone contemplating investing in the sharemarket.

I also rate the AFR Smart Investor monthly magazine as a great source.

The ASX & NZX websites have plenty of "self help" topics too & are free.

* - Paper trade for a while until you feel confident to invest, you might wanna spread $100k over 7 different stocks to start with?

(Do this for 3 - 6 months & see how you go, BEFORE jumping in)

* - Devise a system/strategy (after studying TA/FA) & stick to it, no matter what, discipline & common sense are your biggest tools!

* Ask questions - there are plenty of helpful posters on this site :cool:

Steve
22-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Could I suggest a punt on a recovery in the finance sector? You could donate a large chunk of your funds to say, Bridgecorp.

Before you disregard this suggestion, there have been a number of financial planners who have 'researched' this company and have found it to be a secure, well-managed investment opportunity.

With so many touting its prospects, Bridgecorp must be a sure-fire winner once the finance sector recovers!!!

Invest and reap what you sow...

:D ;)

Deev8
23-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Certainly think about investing a significant proportion overseas in more major markets. Of course there are always currency risks when you do that, but the NZ dollar is near the top of its historic exchange rate range against both the US dollar and the pound and you can minimise the risk if you are confident that you won't need to bring back cash to NZ in a hurry.

Halebop
23-01-2008, 10:05 AM
A drug habit and some lady-boys should take care of that in no time.

Otherwise have a look at a horse, lots of fun on race days.

Niice. :D

With great advice like that "rev" must be short for "reverend"? :p

Hoop
23-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Apologies DoctorG if I sound harsh and if a assume wrong, but it sounds like you are new to this.

This may seem harsh words but if you are a newbie...
...this is the scenario happening at the moment....

Kid you not, it is pure carnage in the market place. I wish a could put you off investing in shares for the moment..it will save you your money. Experts and experienced investors are bleeding, you as a newbie will be slaughtered.

There are many expert investors out there which thought they were "bullet proof "and took this ugly market head-on and are now probably have 20% less money than they had a Xmas, and are licking their wounds during this hiatus.

Many sharetrader posters are probably feeling pain at the moment but many will not admit it publicly on this website so we don't know the full extent of the damage, so read these posts as info/dis-info and be cautious.

I suggest

You read Shasta's posts several times, there is sound advice in this post
Also register at a brokering website I use Direct Brokering (http://http://www.directbroking.co.nz/directtrade/dynamic/marketsummary.aspx) (there are many others)and set out a dummy portfolio and assign stocks you like to it and practice while you are learning and see how much play money you have earned or lost. Like other brokerage sites registration is free.

My best investment website is investopedia (http://www.investopedia.com/), this is a "one stop shop" site. this huge site can teach you everything, a must have site.

During Bear market phases stock prices are dictated more by human behaviour than by pure financial fundamentals so see this sharetrader thread (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?t=5540) for some good books to read.

TA (technical analysis) is the analysis of investor buying and selling behaviour...a must know especially in this current environment. An excellent site (apart from investopedia) is Incredible Charts (http://http://www.incrediblecharts.com/) this site can teach you all you need to know about TA.

Well this info I have mentioned is the tip of the iceberg.
Best of luck
Hoop

A word of wisdom Tip; If you think you know everything there needs to know about share investing it means you know a little more than nothing.

peat
23-01-2008, 12:16 PM
certainly you need to consider an appropriate asset allocation strategy before you choose specific stocks etc
eg what proportion of the money is devoted to property stocks bonds or cash.
this will depend on your risk profile which is largely determined by age.

it shouldnt take too much googling to understand these concepts.

only THEN you can you begin to consider which stocks (in which countries) to buy

Bilo
23-01-2008, 09:02 PM

I have found that just having money is not a good reason to force yourself to do something with it. Hasty decisions are likely to be bad decisions. Better to take your time to review alternatives - act slowly, don't put it all on one horse...that much might take a year to invest beyond the bank unless you have been doing a bit of investing already. Also, unless you are completely clueless, don't trust other people to invest your money - take your time.

Do a I say don't do as I do.....

strayda
24-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Best thing to do in mix up the 700,000 into cash, nz shares, australian shares, bonds, funds, and indexes. Get out some portfolio construction books from the local library and have a careful read through. And if I were you, I wouldn't be putting more than 15-20k of the 700k in an individual share. Sure you'll limit the returns- but you'll also dramatically reduce the downside risk...

As for Bridgecorp, I'd be very careful before I'd put cash in any finance companies given the current environment, solid or not...

Only need check out the large number of NZ finance company failures, plus whats happening across the Tasman with AFG, MFS and CNP to see the risks..

Australian banks like SUN (+ insurance), NAB, etc.. all offering decent dividend yields and low risk in the current environment... Also BHP, despite a decent rise in the last two days, trading very cheap based on 2008/2009 earnings...

Specs are cheap- but take a lot more research, and are obviously higher risk.

David Hardman
25-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Best thing to do in mix up the 700,000 into cash, nz shares, australian shares, bonds, funds, and indexes. Get out some portfolio construction books from the local library and have a careful read through. And if I were you, I wouldn't be putting more than 15-20k of the 700k in an individual share. Sure you'll limit the returns- but you'll also dramatically reduce the downside risk...

Crikey.. Max 20k holdings for a 700k portfolio... that is diWorseification at its best.

If you allocated your investments like this then you have no real belief in your stock selections. Whats the point.. may as well throw a dart to pick your stocks.

If you decide to spread your money this thin buy an index fund.. save yourself the hassle.

Tok3n
25-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Just dump the 700K into NZ property market, its a permanent bull market that will go on for generations to come.

strayda
25-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I think my point was that if you're holding 700k and asking for advice on a share forum on what to do with it, you're probably not an experienced investor. If you're not experienced, and you're not prepared to patiently research things, diversification is important.

I have 40% in one share, so I don't follow my own advice- but I'm comfortable with such a position.

DoctorG
26-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Some of the $700,000, was made from buying two flats with a 20,000 deposit for one and a 50,000 deposit for the other, each costing $195,000.
and selling them now for some 400,000 each, after about 4 years.
Roughly speaking this is a huge return on my initial investment (deposits) even when one takes into account the shortfall in rent, the maintenance etc.
Property was a really easy investment. In the past I have invested in shares , never borrowed , so no leverage. I had BHP shares about 15,000 worth which went from something like $11 to $15 then I sold and they went up to what they are now. Just an example, but shares are so much harder, and leverage like I did above is inconceivable to me.
Shares do seem more interesting though.

Snow Leopard
27-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Given the current state of the financial world:

Diversify a bit within the sectors you understand which you feel give you best return on investment over the 3 to 6 month time frame.

und so weiter...