PDA

View Full Version : Agriculture Stocks

Dazza
30-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Right people, we seem to have increasing prices of food , wheat , you name it .

75% jump in 1 day of pork meat in china.

I want to know what stocks would give us this kind of exposure

Supposedly Nufarm is it? the failed chinese take over target is a strong blue chip to think about

any others got more experience in this sector.

Im more prone to just buy WOW and WES lol

AMR
31-01-2008, 12:05 AM
NZS on the New Zealand exchange could benefit significantly from the continued uptrend in milk prices. I ran the numbers over PAG.ASX (Prime Ag) a while back but thought it looked expensive.

I suppose ADY and their potash as well?

Although the China pork situation does seem to be more of a excess liquidity issue.

tommy
31-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Daz dude,

If you are interested in Ag-related stocks, check out following:

GNC
ABB
AWB
FCL
IPL
RIC
NUF
TFS
ARJ
AAC
NAM
WBA
RHL
TIM
TFC
GTP

Remember that ag sector does not consist of farming and cattle only, those who supply materials and equipment like fertilizers, ag tools and implements also heavily benefit from ag boom and will prosper regardless of the outcome of the harvesting season :-)

BRICKS
31-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Ag to Food stocks to watch :-

GFF
AAC
TGR
PFL
WCB

Have just bought some PFL which is Four & Twenty Meat PIES.. YUM..

winner69
31-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Dazza ..... Mick was on to this a year or so ago
http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?t=4612&highlight=commodities

Most of the big money has been already made on a lot of ag related stocks ..... they have been rerated already

Returns from these stocks will still be OK but in line with commodity price movements and company performance ..... the money from the rerating of these stocks has already been made ...... like would you expect IPL for instance which has from $20 to $120 in 2 years to go from $120 to $720 in the next 2 years ..... doubt it

Mick probably thinking about what might be the next sector to be rerated and catch the early movements .... i would say Mick is in maintenace mode insofar as his ag commodity stocks

Good thread back then Mick

winner69
31-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Im more prone to just buy WOW and WES lol

WOW .... wow haven't they taking a beating since the sales growth wasn't what the market wanted ....... today might be a good time to buy eh

Mick100
31-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Mick probably thinking about what might be the next sector to be rerated and catch the early movements .... i would say Mick is in maintenace mode insofar as his ag commodity stocks

Good thread back then Mick

Thanks winner

I have bought a couple of start-up aquaculture stocks in the past few months - AAQ & WKL, but I don't see either of them outperforming over the short term

As far as the ags go, the two I like best currently would be GTP and WBA.
GTP's shareprice is particuarly depressed at the moment

For short term gains, i'm picking junior gold miners (next 2-3 months)

Disc. hold - AAC, GTP, WBA, PGW.nz, AAQ, WKL

stephen
31-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks winner

I have bought a couple of start-up aquaculture stocks in the past few months - AAQ & WKL, but I don't see either of them outperforming over the short term

As far as the ags go, the two I like best currently would be GTP and WBA.
GTP's shareprice is particuarly depressed at the moment

For short term gains, i'm picking junior gold miners (next 2-3 months)

Disc. hold - AAC, GTP, WBA, PGW.nz, AAQ, WKL

Interested to hear you say that Mick. I finally gave up on GTP a few months ago.

I have to say I find their capital structure totally opaque. That may be one reason why they have never become "loved" and are less so now.

Mick100
31-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Interested to hear you say that Mick. I finally gave up on GTP a few months ago.

I have to say I find their capital structure totally opaque. That may be one reason why they have never become "loved" and are less so now.

Hi stephen

The balance sheet looks OK to me
NTA is over $2.00 per share

I expect land values to increase significantly over the next 5 - 10 yrs which is a real bonus over and above earnings from operations
AAC is another co which has extensive land holdings

stephen
31-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi stephen

The balance sheet liiks OK to me

What did my head in was the combination of the TREES and the securitised loans that may be assets or are they?

soulman
24-10-2012, 04:45 AM
While the likes of AWB and ABB has been taken over by foreigner, GNC seems like a likely T/O target. Now an offer is on the table, the biggest winner will again be J Pac. I missed my chance again getting in before the offer.

Awamoa
06-11-2012, 08:08 PM
I have been in Australia and bought the weekend Financial Review which had an article headed 10 agri stocks to watch.
The one that got my attention was WCB-Warranbool Cheese & Butter Factory Company Holdings.
The article is as follows
For those worried they have missed the best part of the soft commodity rally,the diary industry might be a good option because it is a late cycle performer says Investorfirst Securities analyst Chris Gibson.
"The US drought has already pushed up a lot of soft commodity prices,which feed into US stock feed prices,"he adds."A lot of the diary producers have started to reduce production or their herds".
The market has yet to fully appreciate the potential drop in supply as diary prices have not yet risen as much as grains.
Dairy processors Bega Cheese And WCB will benefit from dairy prices.
While Bega might look more attractive from a valuation perspective,the one to keep an eye on is Warrambool because RBS Morgans believes it is inevitable the company will be involved in industry consolidation.
Bega owns around 17% of Warambool and the latter holds valuable strategic assets.Warambool operates the largest and most efficient dairy processing site in Australia,Moore says.
"The company also oprates in one of the best regions for dairy farming."
Further the company's significant export business makes it attractive for bidders wanting to secure dairy supply particularly from Asia.

Does anyone have any views on this one?

ratkin
07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Terrible time to buy judging by the chart , just crashedd down through resistance on
larger than normal volume

steve fleming
07-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I have been in Australia and bought the weekend Financial Review which had an article headed 10 agri stocks to watch.
The one that got my attention was WCB-Warranbool Cheese & Butter Factory Company Holdings.
The article is as follows
For those worried they have missed the best part of the soft commodity rally,the diary industry might be a good option because it is a late cycle performer says Investorfirst Securities analyst Chris Gibson.
"The US drought has already pushed up a lot of soft commodity prices,which feed into US stock feed prices,"he adds."A lot of the diary producers have started to reduce production or their herds".
The market has yet to fully appreciate the potential drop in supply as diary prices have not yet risen as much as grains.
Dairy processors Bega Cheese And WCB will benefit from dairy prices.
While Bega might look more attractive from a valuation perspective,the one to keep an eye on is Warrambool because RBS Morgans believes it is inevitable the company will be involved in industry consolidation.
Bega owns around 17% of Warambool and the latter holds valuable strategic assets.Warambool operates the largest and most efficient dairy processing site in Australia,Moore says.
"The company also oprates in one of the best regions for dairy farming."
Further the company's significant export business makes it attractive for bidders wanting to secure dairy supply particularly from Asia.

Does anyone have any views on this one?

Not the best of timing for the write up - WCB announced a profit downgrade on the Monday

"Following the completion of an internal analysis, WCB now expects that lower prices achieved in the
market in the first half, and adverse currency movements, will impact operating margins by
approximately $20 million compared to the corresponding period last year."

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=WCB&E=ASX&N=381835

NZSilver
07-11-2012, 12:57 PM
However - possibly a good time to buy once the price drops.