PDA

View Full Version : Home Equity Line of Credit

Hoop
19-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I can remember having a facility years ago where I could draw money out of a mortage up to a certain limit, kind of like having an overdraft. Don't know how common it is in NZ nowdays.

However in the USA, this facility called Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) is commonly used, and it seems many home owners use this faciity for their day to day spending such as to buy groceries, pay power bills etc.

There has been an increase lately in blogs about people complaining that there HELOC have been frozen, without warning, and without reason.
One blog was from a chap that had nearly paid of his mortgage so his HELOC was very large, he received a letter telling him that his HELOC was frozen.
Many other blogs are from people who have or recommend people who are thinking of buying to pull out as much money as needed for the future, quickly before their banks freeze their HELOC. Some commentators are expecting that there will be a sudden rush of money drawn out of the banking system within the next week or so when more US citizens become aware of what's happening.

Try Googling Banks freeze HELOCs ....very interesting reading.

The US Media have been slow to pick up on this one, hence the blogging.

The reason for the freezing of HELOC is blamed on the falling prices within the US housing market.

This maybe something home owners and property investors/ landlords in NZ should be made aware of..just in case...

Arbitrage
19-02-2008, 02:03 PM
ASB Orbit Home Loan operates like this. Was based on up to of ones 50% equity at floating rates. Handy as an operating account for investors, especially as it is interest only. However, they can be very dangerous in the wrong hands, especially in the Ferrari showroom..

minimoke
19-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I’ve got one of these with the ANZ. Can’t see NZ banks having too many problems with them provided the customer can repay the interest and the bank retains enough equity in the property.

If the bank has lent 90% or more I’d be concerned and be looking at closing the facility down. Some institutions have offered 100% finance and some dodgy property developers have ended up giving 140%. I’d be worried if I was them as well.

Steve
19-02-2008, 08:20 PM
If you are not disciplined with your finances, they generally end up costing you more in the longer term...

tim23
20-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Good products if your're ok with your money, I'e used one effectively when I bought a beach house way back.