PDA

View Full Version : IMP - Imperial Coorporation

Damo79
06-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Here's an interesting little microcap I've been watching for a while. A few years ago, I traded it a few times for some nice profits when it was just a cash box company doing nothing except holding a 5% share in Bemax (BMX). At that point, their BMX shares were worth more than the market cap, so I traded on that basis. Ended up missing a big run when they got into the natural gas market though.

Anyway, these days, they're 'almost' a break even cashflow natural gas producer in the Appalachian basin of the US. They started off their gas assets with a purchase of about $10 million of assets (funded by debt). They still have their 5% BMX holding, which is worth a little more than that. They have a slightly complicated structure (for me at least) in which they have a 75% interest in a venture called Empire energy, to which they assign their gas producing wells. They drilled 20 successful wells last year, and are drilling 18 this coming year. The area Appalachian basin is very low risk (with 100% success rate on their first 20 wells).

Definately a microcap, with a market cap of about $20 mil. However, they have managed to score a $100 mil debt facility with Maquarie to fund expansion and drilling, which seems like a pretty big coup for a very small fish.

With listed assets covering current debt, access to more debt amounting to 5x their market cap, cashflows moving towards positive territory, and an funded drilling program coming up, I see this as an pretty interesting spec play (which isn't really that speculative).

1.3 cents at the moment, and that looks to be the support for the last year. I've bought a couple of parcels at that price in the last few weeks.

Cheers
Damo

Damo79
04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Interesting... has moved up almost 50% today on no news. One of the benefits of extreme illiquidity I guess (of course it goes the other way too). Given the lack of news, I couldn't justify continuing to hold with that much paper profit, and sold half my holding. Will be interesting to watch and see if there's news coming, which would definately imply insider trading. Alternatively, similar movements have been prompted previoulsy by invester newsletter articles...

Still holding 250000

Cheers
Damo

Edit: Couldn't help it - just sold the other half at 1.9 cents (48% profit). This has been a great trading stock for me :-) If I work out what caused the jump, i'll post (just in case anyones reading :p)

Damo79
04-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Aha! Though it would be something like this. A "stock tipping guru" had a segment on A Current Affair last night, and picked IMP as one of his three "hot tips". I think I need to buy him a drink for making me $3000 this morning ;)

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=441724

POSSUM THE CAT
04-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Damo 79 how much did he make selling the ones he bought in the last week?

Damo79
04-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Damo 79 how much did he make selling the ones he bought in the last week?

That question had definately crossed my mind. One wonders whether his "hot tip" was more to do with IMP being so illiquid that any interest would generate large returns than it was about the actual company.

However, since I was a holder, in this particular case I'm willing to forgive ;)

STRAT
10-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi Phaedrus.

A question if I may.

What value as a signal would you place on the obvious divergence seen here with IMP?

Phaedrus
10-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't see that as a signal, Strat.
(1) The OBV has only gone from 75 to 90 in over 4 years. I would call that flat.
(2) OBV divergences don't mean much in any case.
(3) IMP would need to break above the resistance at 12 cents to be in an uptrend.
(4) There are divergences here, though. Bearish ones.

Not for me!

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/IMP910.gif

STRAT
10-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Phaedrus.

How was your holiday in the sun?

Spring is in the air in Auckland today at last

Phaedrus
10-09-2010, 12:44 PM
The holiday was so good that we are now planning the next.

Re IMP - An interesting chart. Here is an illustration of the opportunities offered by such a lightly traded stock. My legal team say I should not post this on a public forum - but I have never been any good at taking advice.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/IMP910mugs.gif

STRAT
10-09-2010, 01:29 PM
The holiday was so good that we are now planning the next.

Re IMP - An interesting chart. Here is an illustration of the opportunities offered by such a lightly traded stock. My legal team say I should not post this on a public forum - but I have never been any good at taking advice.

Thanks Phaedrus. There are a lot of very good lessons in that one chart. That ones being printed and going to the back of the Loo door for those moments of quiet contemplation.

I reckon you are safe from any legal implications having not named any of the said Mug Punters.

That was also appreciated :lol: