PDA

View Full Version : When to re-enter the market?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Joshuatree
05-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Cant wait to ask my self driven autonomous car for a tip too:D

moka
05-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Crickey JT. You reviving a thread that fell into the abyss 9 years ago??

My view (regarding the thread topic) is one does not need to worry about re-entering the market if one does not get out in the 1st place.

Thanks for reviving this thread JT. I wasn’t reading Sharetrader in 2009 so I didn’t know this thread existed. But I will have to read all of it now. Looks like there is some good information here. I do remember Phaedrus’s posts were worth reading. I’ve often wondered what people’s reaction was in 2008 when the market was falling and now I can find out.

Schrodinger
05-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Memo to self:

Must remember to ask my next Uber driver for a stock tip.

;)

Nice advice. DYI would be better =)

bull....
05-12-2017, 02:26 PM
most uber drivers i imagine dont even know what the share market is

Joshuatree
05-12-2017, 02:38 PM
They will just before the crash like the shoeshine boys in their time.

macduffy
05-12-2017, 02:45 PM
most uber drivers i imagine dont even know what the share market is

Neither did cab drivers in 1929 - but it didn't stop them offering "advice"!

;)

kiora
05-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Concur entirely JT. When is it going to crash?
Answer:
1:When euphoria is at its peak!
2:When you least expect it !
3:When you're thinking nothing can go wrong.Yeah right!

Jiggs
24-02-2021, 11:57 PM
Answer:

4. When the top 5 companies in the 2021 Sharepicking Competition lose an average of 5% percent each. (Oops! They have already dropped 8%!)
5. When Jardin's cash account payment of 1% gives me a better than my shares. (Oops! All my shares are already sold and earning a nice steady 1%)
6. When the NZX50 has dropped almost 10%. (Oops! ..............

Jiggs
25-02-2021, 12:01 AM
Answer:

4. When the top 5 companies in the 2021 Sharepicking Competition lose an average of 5% percent each.
. . . (Oops! They have already dropped 8%!)
5. When Jardin's cash account interest rate gives me a better than my shares.
. . .(Oops! All my shares are already sold and earning a nice steady 1%)
6. When the NZX50 has dropped almost 10%.
. . .(Oops! ..............

bull....
25-02-2021, 06:42 AM
my post in 2017 about uber drivers not knowing what the share market is , is not true now they know the share market well now

bull....
25-02-2021, 06:42 AM
my post in 2017 about uber drivers not knowing what the share market is , is not true now they know the share market well now

Brain
25-02-2021, 07:04 AM
1987 was an example of sharemarket euphoria. This is mild to Luke warm interest by comparison. Everybody thinks the sharemarket is overvalued but in 87 we all thought it still had legs. And then it crashed.

nztx
25-02-2021, 08:20 AM
1987 was an example of sharemarket euphoria. This is mild to Luke warm interest by comparison. Everybody thinks the sharemarket is overvalued but in 87 we all thought it still had legs. And then it crashed.

Still currently no end in sight of money looking to trade low bank rates for higher returns out there ..
so probably still legs on for further advances.. a few good major company results
coming in may be just enough for the next lifts upwards.. IMO

Triggers out there leading to any major retreat may well be promptly extinguished
by further artificial stimulus globally thrown at any small fires globally

Global Govts have enough crisis' on their hands and have demonstrated willingness
to pour vast bucket full's on perceived problems .. our own included ;)

While that's going on, none would appear to want a financial markets meltdown
or largescale retreat & further carnage thrown in the mix to have to deal with

If you like - keep massaging the markets to ensure all well with no major turning turtle .. ;)

bull....
25-02-2021, 08:43 AM
theres a 100% probability of a crash based on all known history. but they say this times different i keep hearing

nztx
25-02-2021, 09:00 AM
theres a 100% probability of a crash based on all known history. but they say this times different i keep hearing

What would the triggerpoint be ?

Some Economies are in turmoil with C-19, some opening up -- demand & activity would then start increasing

Govt's are continuing to print cheap money plugging the gaps too ..

bull....
25-02-2021, 09:03 AM
What would the triggerpoint be ?

Some Economies are in turmoil with C-19, some opening up -- demand & activity would then start increasing

Govt's are continuing to print cheap money plugging the gaps too ..

the million dollar question , very few people ever pick the top and every time is for different reasons. so i will refrain from guessing

nztx
25-02-2021, 09:06 AM
the million dollar question , very few people ever pick the top and every time is for different reasons. so i will refrain from guessing

It wont be for lack of dough out there .. maybe rapid outflows & influxes between certain sectors ? ;)

Heck .. in current times we have TSLA make a billion on B$ .. then Elon loses $20 bills the next day in a dip
and the market doesn't blink & instead TSLA recovers previously lost overnight ground .. - how resilient is that ? ;)

Brain
25-02-2021, 11:26 AM

There is always going to be a crash. That bit is easy to predict. It is the timing which is the issue. This year ,next year or 5 years time. The low interest rates make most shares look good.

nztx
25-02-2021, 12:01 PM
There is always going to be a crash. That bit is easy to predict. It is the timing which is the issue. This year ,next year or 5 years time. The low interest rates make most shares look good.

I don't disagree there .. what goes up may / often does come down .. so it's the all important happy entry points
and convenient timely exit points that count .. and just so long as one wins considerably more than
they lose .. ;)