PDA

View Full Version : Indicators for Newbies

whirly
28-04-2008, 04:23 PM
hey all

I am teaching myself how to chart and wonder what indicators you all use? If you want you could reply with each indicator and a newbies explanation to what they represent and how to read them.

There appears to be a good knowledge base on ST - thank you to those who take their time to share it with the rest of us.

Whirly

AMR
28-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Try www.incrediblecharts.com (http://www.incrediblecharts.com). It has an A-Z index of all indicators with worked examples.

axion
28-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Phaedrus wrote a really good post about TA in general a couple of years ago. I'll see if I still have it bookmarked somewhere.

axion
28-04-2008, 05:24 PM
http://www.sharechat.co.nz/archives/2002/03/msg00009.shtml :)

whirly
29-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks all

I got a bit of study ahead of me now. If someone wants to have a go at demonstrating how to use these in real time . ie. over the next few months not the last few i would appreciate the effort.

Could pick a stock, choose your indicators (and ultimately point out when to buy). i can already use TA to show when I should have bought in the past but find it more challenging to apply to real trades.

Thanks again for your input.

Steve
29-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Whirly, don't forget about the ShareTrader Indicator - when a share starts getting ramped, it is usually time to make sure that you sell (ignoring the fact that it is probably a share not worth holding in the first place!) ;)

AMR
29-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Whirly, don't forget about the ShareTrader Indicator - when a share starts getting ramped, it is usually time to make sure that you sell (ignoring the fact that it is probably a share not worth holding in the first place!) ;)

There's also the vince indicator - when moderators have to step into a thread, chances are the stock will stop falling soon.

Seriously though, there is so much more to TA than indicators. I started out with a trend following indicator approach but over time I am using chart patterns, support and resistance, and trendlines in preference now.

whirly
29-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Steve - I considered that possibility when I first started reading ST last year and thus stayed out of both NZO and PRC altogether. Its an interesting time to learn. General market going down but seemingly endless short term plays if you can pick them.

AMR - I guess the tools used continuously alter with the market and the share position at time. Its how to judge these I think I need to suss.

whirly
29-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks AA

I have burnt the midnight lamp myself since I got into this stuff. It came be very time consuming.

I can use charts to demonstrate a company with a strong uptrend but its knowing when that uptrend is over can be trickier. I tend to think that if a sp goes up 50% in 3 months I already missed it.

But I agree, hours in results out; I will find my way .

Appreciate your thoughts

Whirly