PDA

View Full Version : Wellington Share Traders Meeting - August 30

shasta
08-07-2008, 02:09 PM
With the Southern Bretheren having already set there next date for August 23rd, it's time to sort out our next catch up...

I may look to try a different venue from the Mac's Brewery, depending on "confirmed" numbers, so please post your preference on the poll as early as possible, as well as your confirmation on this thread.

Any suggestions, improvements, ideas please PM me...:rolleyes:

Lizard has come up with a great idea for later in the year, but i will leave that for the meeting to discuss...:p

Would be good to see all the regulars, & a few new faces from both Wellington, & around the country!

Am still looking to hold these on a Saturday afternoon to allow those from out of the Nations Capital to attend...

Please keep an eye on this thread for more details! :)

Oiler
08-07-2008, 05:54 PM
With the Southern Bretheren having already set there next date for August 23rd, it's time to sort out our next catch up...

I may look to try a different venue from the Mac's Brewery, depending on "confirmed" numbers, so please post your preference on the poll as early as possible, as well as your confirmation on this thread.

Any suggestions, improvements, ideas please PM me...:rolleyes:

Lizard has come up with a great idea for later in the year, but i will leave that for the meeting to discuss...:p

Would be good to see all the regulars, & a few new faces from both Wellington, & around the country!

Am still looking to hold these on a Saturday afternoon to allow those from out of the Nations Capital to attend...

Please keep an eye on this thread for more details! :)

Shasta

Count me in ...... either date at this stage.

As you suggest it might be time to for a change of venue and I am thinking the same for the Auckland meet next month.

Christchurch made changes and we all know the results... a huge success.:D

Oiler

Crypto Crude
08-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Lizard has come up with a great idea for later in the year

Go on go on... we're listening...
spit it out...
Oiler and I are dying to hear...
:cool:
.^sc

shasta
08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Go on go on... we're listening...
spit it out...
Oiler and I are dying to hear...
.^sc

Since Wellington had the inaugural meeting to start off, its only fitting we become the most "progressive" event...:p

You will have plenty of time to join in when the time comes...

Crypto Crude
13-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Shasta,
With only 3 polled votes... You, Liz, and Oilman, will have plenty of time to sit around and talk about it...:D

Come on Wellington people... start voting and turning up....

This is looking rather embarrassing...

We dont poll meetings, our turnout numbers are confidential...
:)
.^sc

shasta
13-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Shasta,
With only 3 polled votes... You, Liz, and Oilman, will have plenty of time to sit around and talk about it...:D

Come on Wellington people... start voting and turning up....

This is looking rather embarrassing...

We dont poll meetings, our turnout numbers are confidential...
:)
.^sc

Most of the Wellington members aren't as prolific at posting as others, SC.

I'll name & shame a few closer to the meeting though...:D

duncan macgregor
13-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Most of the Wellington members aren't as prolific at posting as others, SC.

I'll name & shame a few closer to the meeting though...:D All hiding in the cupboard i presume being a bunch of govt employees. The real people all reside north of the bombay hills where the sun shines most of the time. I think you will find that as the market downtrends people tend to lose interest. The average Wellington investor has lost 25% of their capital in the market this year with the real dummies averaging down into a worsening position. Being of sound mind the Macdunks doubled their money the previous year, then rushed out the door seeking safer pastures. I expect even in Auckland we might nave trouble increasing the numbers now that the market is about to crash. Macdunk

Serpie
13-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I expect even in Auckland we might nave trouble increasing the numbers now that the market is about to crash. Macdunk

If the market is about to crash then surely everyone should be getting very interested? That's when fortunes are made.
But that's a discussion for another thread.

So it's looking like Wellington meeting is on the 30th August judging by the poll results?

shasta
13-07-2008, 08:23 PM
If the market is about to crash then surely everyone should be getting very interested? That's when fortunes are made.
But that's a discussion for another thread.

So it's looking like Wellington meeting is on the 30th August judging by the poll results?

Serpie

I voted for the 30th, but either date is fine for me.

By then we may be talking about all the "bargins" we picked up :D

shasta
16-07-2008, 09:46 PM
300+ views & hardly any posts...

This weekend i will name & shame those i've written down as being located in the Nations Capital.

All those that have attended before know the drill, & those who haven't we would love to see a few more faces behind the profiles...

I might drag Vince along, kicking & screaming & all!

QOH
16-07-2008, 10:16 PM
but don't like driving far at night.

shasta
16-07-2008, 10:25 PM
but don't like driving far at night.

We usually have a Saturday 4pm kick off, & it doesn't go too late

I haven't decided where yet, but will be near a main bus route (if you take the train in from Pram?).

When i have an idea of numbers, i will source a suitable venue.

The past meetings have been right next to the NZX Headquarters @ St Johns Heineken Hotel & the Mac's Brewery.

Lizard
18-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Shasta,
With only 3 polled votes... You, Liz, and Oilman, will have plenty of time to sit

Just the three of us? We'll be able to get out the Grange! :D

Any chance of YOTT turning up for some gender balance?

shasta
18-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Just the three of us? We'll be able to get out the Grange! :D

Any chance of YOTT turning up for some gender balance?

Gryffyn should be coming this time :eek:

Lizard
18-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Gryffyn should be coming this time :eek:

I will believe that when I finally get to see it!!! :p

shasta
18-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I will believe that when I finally get to see it!!! :p

Off the football thread...

Good work that man!

I'll be back aiming for a hat-trick of titles :)

Also, will hopefully have more time to talk serious football matters and make it to one of Shasta's events.

Gryf

shasta
19-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Off the football thread...

Good work that man!

I'll be back aiming for a hat-trick of titles :)

Also, will hopefully have more time to talk serious football matters and make it to one of Shasta's events.

Gryf

The following is a list of those ST members "suspected" to be living in the Nations Capital.

It would be nice to see a few new faces at the next meeting...

Vince the young punk * :D
Casa Del Energia
Whiteheron *
Mr Tommy
Lakeys *
GOTJ *
Stephen *
Mothership *
Gryffyn *
Toulouse- Lucern *
Axion
Lissica?
Ptolemy
Clearasmud
Taijon
Shephejame
QOH
Hiawatha
Caesius *
Baywatch *
Mothman *
Mosteph * (He may fly back especially, from Austria/Switzerland?) :D

* Indicates have previously attended

Apologies to anyone i maybe have omitted or incorrectly listed.

At this point we may have more out of towners than locals :eek:

It's looking like the 30th August will be the date, venue to be advised.

macduffy
19-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi shasta
I won't vote, but if it's the 30th I'll try to crawl down off the mountain and make it downtown.

;)

bermuda
19-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi shasta
I won't vote, but if it's the 30th I'll try to crawl down off the mountain and make it downtown.

;)

Shasta,
I cant promise anything but I would like to come up and meet you and your fellow Sharetraders. Be good if you and any others could make it to CHCH on the 23rd.

Cheers

shasta
19-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Shasta,
I cant promise anything but I would like to come up and meet you and your fellow Sharetraders. Be good if you and any others could make it to CHCH on the 23rd.

Cheers

I cant make any promises, but will try & come down to Chch if not for this meeting, perhaps the next one?

bermuda
19-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I cant make any promises, but will try & come down to Chch if not for this meeting, perhaps the next one?

I will be looking keenly to see the result of your vote for the date of your meeting.

joey
24-07-2008, 06:08 PM
just testing. The number of times I have written a posting and went to post and found I was not logged in, have been numerous. SO THIS IS A TEST.

I'm sending this from my ASUS and the link can drop for no reason at all.

Anyway I am going to post now. If it works, I will have a comment about the meeting at the end of the month.

regards
joey

shasta
24-07-2008, 06:09 PM
just testing. The number of times I have written a posting and went to post and found I was not logged in, have been numerous. SO THIS IS A TEST.

I'm sending this from my ASUS and the link can drop for no reason at all.

Anyway I am going to post now. If it works, I will have a comment about the meeting at the end of the month.

regards
joey

Would be good to see you come along Joey :cool:

Lizard
24-07-2008, 06:34 PM

When this happens, you can usually just log in, then back arrow through your browser pages until you get to your post and submit again.

joey
24-07-2008, 07:09 PM
When this happens, you can usually just log in, then back arrow through your browser pages until you get to your post and submit again.

Thanks Lizard I will try that next time it happens.

My suggestion is to have our meeting in the Monteith bar in Mana. There is a atmosphere in the bar and the staff are friendly and competant. This suggestion will be great for people living up the Kapiti Coast(where a lot of rich posters live) and I intend to retire up there shortly. It's on easy assess to railway, which is great, nobody is now stupid enough to drink alcohol and drive.

Anyway just a suggestion. What do other posters think?

joey

Lizard
24-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Perfect for me. Is that next to the Sandbar?

QOH
24-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Perfect for me too. I'm up the coast.

shasta
24-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Lizard I will try that next time it happens.

My suggestion is to have our meeting in the Monteith bar in Mana. There is a atmosphere in the bar and the staff are friendly and competant. This suggestion will be great for people living up the Kapiti Coast(where a lot of rich posters live) and I intend to retire up there shortly. It's on easy assess to railway, which is great, nobody is now stupid enough to drink alcohol and drive.

Anyway just a suggestion. What do other posters think?

joey

Joey

Apart from QOH & perhaps Lizard i don't know of any others up that way.

In the past we went to the St John Heineken Hotel & that was deemed too noisy (though we were there on the night of an All Black test, duh!).

I'm all for a change of venue, but it seems the troops prefer a quieter place, where they can impart there wisedom to the masses :D

If the place is walking distance from the Mana station, i'm sure i can round up the Wellington folk & all meet at the Wellington railway station?

Lets see what responses we get?

Serpie
24-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Have you set a date yet Shasta?

shasta
24-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Have you set a date yet Shasta?

Looks like the 30th Serpie :cool:

Serpie
24-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks Shasta,

Is Vince coming? After his latest post on NZO (an absolute classic) I'd like to meet him and buy him a drink.

A belated congratulations on 4000 posts too Shasta.

shasta
24-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Shasta,

Is Vince coming? After his latest post on NZO (an absolute classic) I'd like to meet him and buy him a drink.

A belated congratulations on 4000 posts too Shasta.

Vince having just turned 18 can now drink, so i'll drag him out!

Cheers Serpie, at least 15 decent posts among all those :D

Lizard
24-07-2008, 08:58 PM
That reminds me, a certain high-profile financial adviser was recently slagging off share forums as a source of information, noting that they were managed by lads without wisdom...

Had to laugh. Perhaps he'd been reading ShareTrader and taking some of the Vince jokes at face value? Even more amusing when I heard the owner of ShareTrader being interviewed as a source of wisdom on Radio NZ...

joey
25-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Perfect for me. Is that next to the Sandbar?

Hi Lizard
It is exactly where the Sandbar was. Monteith are building quite a few really pleasant small taverns. Another is in Khandallah where the Cock and Whistle used to be.

joey

lakeys
27-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Im in and back from 4 weeks in the tropics. Shas i will give you a ride if we end up heading up the coast but i would prefer town.

shasta
27-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Im in and back from 4 weeks in the tropics. Shas i will give you a ride if we end up heading up the coast but i would prefer town.

Lakeys - Weathers been warm & lovely since you left!

I don't mind having the meeting up the coast, if thats what the majority are happy with?

If the numbers are for in the city, then the city it shall be...

Joey, i like your idea we just need the numbers to support it!

Can all those likely to attend please post your preferences.

1. Up the coast (Joey's suggestion)
2. Wellington Central (venue to be advised)
3. Flexible, & will go where the numbers dictate...

I'm going with #3 :)

QOH
28-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Maybe we could also organise a drink after the NZO AGM.

Lizard
28-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm for Joey's suggestion in Mana/Plimmerton. Odds on chance I can persuade Mothership to join us if it's there. Hope it works okay for Oiler though, if he's still planning go beam in.

Oiler
28-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm for Joey's suggestion in Mana/Plimmerton. Odds on chance I can persuade Mothership to join us if it's there. Hope it works okay for Oiler though, if he's still planning go beam in.

Liz .. I will be "beaming in" just need to tell me where and when to beam?? :confused:

Oiler

Lizard
30-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi Oiler,
It seems to be 4pm 30 August - just a question of venue. Will you need transport if it is held north of Porirua?

shasta
30-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Oiler,
It seems to be 4pm 30 August - just a question of venue. Will you need transport if it is held north of Porirua?

Oiler/Serpie & other possibles from around the traps...

Should the Venue end up being in Mana/Plimmerton, i will try & arrange some transport for those in Wellington.

Lakeys - what do you reckon?

Oiler
30-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Oiler/Serpie & other possibles from around the traps...

Should the Venue end up being in Mana/Plimmerton, i will try & arrange some transport for those in Wellington.

Lakeys - what do you reckon?

Shasta

Thanks for the offer....... lets decide the venue then we can sort the transport arrangements.

Would be nice to ride in Lakeys new Lambo.....:cool::cool::cool:

Looking forward to the Nations Capital meeting.

Oiler

shasta
30-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Shasta

Thanks for the offer....... lets decide the venue then we can sort the transport arrangements.

Would be nice to ride in Lakeys new Lambo.....:cool::cool::cool:

Looking forward to the Nations Capital meeting.

Oiler

Last time i saw Lakey's in town he was driving a stretch hummer :D

Pure gold too, honest ;)

lakeys
30-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Na more like a go cart..........or one of those long skateboards that i have just brought after selling one those big houses in your street shasta

shasta
04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Na more like a go cart..........or one of those long skateboards that i have just brought after selling one those big houses in your street shasta

Thread's gone awfully quiet, where are the Wellingtonians at? :confused:

Come & commiserate with the rest of us on the 30th August.

Joey, how's the weather been up your way, any issues with flooding around the proposed venue, (might be thinking of Paekakariki though?)

Toulouse - Luzern
08-08-2008, 07:54 PM
We are back in town after some R&R in Singapore and Malaysia.
Saw lots of people there in cafes and hotels working on their laptops.
I see NZX rose over the last 3 weeks.
Met some Antares investors and an Aussie Sakhillan Island (Chemical Engineer).
I am a possible starter for the ST mtg.
rgds

shasta
08-08-2008, 07:59 PM
We are back in town after some R&R in Singapore and Malaysia.
Saw lots of people there in cafes and hotels working on their laptops.
I see NZX rose over the last 3 weeks.
Met some Antares investors and an Aussie Sakhillan Island (Chemical Engineer).
I am a possible starter for the ST mtg.
rgds

It's been nice & sunny & rather warm in your absense Toulouse :D

Looks like the meeting is up north at Mana/Plimmerton this time...

Be good to see yourself & Mrs Toulouse at the meeting ;)

Crypto Crude
10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
toulouse-luzern,
Met some Antares investors

Hummm... Ive been watching that company for quite some time...
I never understood why it was once worth one dollar...
I looked at the stock up and down and saw no revenues, development, production... and exploration drilling worth microns of what the company was valued at....
theres great learning experiences to be had by just watching...
.^sc

shasta
12-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Hummm... Ive been watching that company for quite some time...
I never understood why it was once worth one dollar...
I looked at the stock up and down and saw no revenues, development, production... and exploration drilling worth microns of what the company was valued at....
theres great learning experiences to be had by just watching...
.^sc

Joey/Lizard

Wanna post some directions to the venue for the masses....:confused:

Might be good to have directions from the nearest train station too.

4pm kick off as usual, Saturday 30th August folks...:cool:

Lizard can inform everyone of the plan for the next meeting, when its nice & warm in the Nations Capital!

joey
14-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Joey/Lizard

Wanna post some directions to the venue for the masses....:confused:

Might be good to have directions from the nearest train station too.

4pm kick off as usual, Saturday 30th August folks...:cool:

Lizard can inform everyone of the plan for the next meeting, when its nice & warm in the Nations Capital!
Walking directions to Monteiths Brewery Bar, 105 Mana Esplanade, Mana, 5026
0.4 km – about 9 mins

Mana Station (on Paraparaumu line from Wellington)
1. Head north on Dolly Varden Crescent toward Mana Esplanade
92 m
2. Turn left at Mana Esplanade
0.2 km
3. Turn left at Service Ln
0.1 km

Monteiths Brew Bar
105 Mana Esplanade, Mana, 5026

Hope to meet you guys there.

joey

shasta
14-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Walking directions to Monteiths Brewery Bar, 105 Mana Esplanade, Mana, 5026
0.4 km – about 9 mins

Mana Station (on Paraparaumu line from Wellington)
1. Head north on Dolly Varden Crescent toward Mana Esplanade
92 m
2. Turn left at Mana Esplanade
0.2 km
3. Turn left at Service Ln
0.1 km

Monteiths Brew Bar
105 Mana Esplanade, Mana, 5026

Hope to meet you guys there.

joey

Thanks Joey

Hopefully with the details now out, a few more might show some interest.

shasta
16-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks Joey

Hopefully with the details now out, a few more might show some interest.

Obviously the Wellingtonians are all outside enjoying the sunshine, rather than posting there confirmation of the Wellington Share Traders meeting, in 2 weeks time at the Monteiths bar in Mana. (4 pm on the 30th).

Confirmations, so far

Shasta
Joey
Lizard
QOH
Mothership?
Oiler
Lakeys
Serpie?
Macduffy?
Bermuda?
Toulouse-Luzern
Gryffyn? - Don't disappoint the masses this time will you!
Vince the Young Punk :D

I know this thread gets plenty of views, bout time those viewing took the plunge & posted!

Those in Wellington that may require transport, please post on this thread, so i can try & arrange something.

QOH
16-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I'll definitely come, just want to know is this bar in the same block of buildings as The Sand Bar?

shasta
16-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Lizard
It is exactly where the Sandbar was. Monteith are building quite a few really pleasant small taverns. Another is in Khandallah where the Cock and Whistle used to be.

joey

I'll definitely come, just want to know is this bar in the same block of buildings as The Sand Bar?

It is the old Sand bar, i think Joey mentioned this a page or so back?

Manolo:)
18-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi guys, I just registered ... :D I'd love to meet with you guys although I dont really know many of you. Is the meeting still on? Or are we waiting for more ppl to confirm? :)

joey
18-08-2008, 09:13 PM

Hi QOH
Yes.The Sand Bar is at one end and Monteiths Brewery Bar is at the other end. If you can make it to the Sand Bar you are almost there.

I am away for some shut eye now as I have an Operation/procedure at Bowen in the morning. Hope to see you all there. Hopefully I will be fit and well by them.

joey

shasta
18-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi guys, I just registered ... :D I'd love to meet with you guys although I dont really know many of you. Is the meeting still on? Or are we waiting for more ppl to confirm? :)

Welcome to Share Trader Manolo ;)

It's on regardless, so come along & have a drink with the Wellington folk...

Joey - Hope is goes well tomorrow :rolleyes:

I'm awaiting some BIG NEWS tomorrow myself :D

drillfix
20-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun shasta.

I have never been to NZ before, perhaps next year I can make it if I am still alive...lol

Would like to do a little trip their sometime and take in a few scenes, but at the moment I aint got 2 bob to roll together.

Good luck with it and I hope your good news rolls in for you tomorrow~!

shasta
20-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun shasta.

I have never been to NZ before, perhaps next year I can make it if I am still alive...lol

Would like to do a little trip their sometime and take in a few scenes, but at the moment I aint got 2 bob to roll together.

Good luck with it and I hope your good news rolls in for you tomorrow~!

Drillfix

I've held a few of these meetings before & really enjoy meeting the various posters from Wellington & beyond...

Changes your perspective of a poster once you have talked to them ;)

I might have to secure the rights to "international events" & expand into Australia :D

Good news day yesterday didn't happen, hopefully today?

shasta
22-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Drillfix

I've held a few of these meetings before & really enjoy meeting the various posters from Wellington & beyond...

Changes your perspective of a poster once you have talked to them ;)

I might have to secure the rights to "international events" & expand into Australia :D

Good news day yesterday didn't happen, hopefully today?

Joey

Hope your stay at Bowen was successful & you're ready for next week!

Have you informed the staff of the meeting, & perhaps secured an area for us?

We will need some method of identifying you, unless Lizard is there before 4pm.

For those in Wellington or coming from out of town, please post in here during the week, so i can try & organise transport.

This is the first meeting outside Wellington Central, but i'd like to see a good turn out up there.

Gryffyn - we have plenty of Chelsea matters to discuss :D

With the drink drive laws, there is no reason why public transport cannot be used to get there to/from the venue (ie, buses/trains)

Vince - can you get your mum to drop you off? :D

bermuda
22-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Would love to come. But cant see it. It my birthday and NZO goes up 20 cents.

Cant handle two nights in a row. I will get up there sometime.

Have a great night.

shasta
22-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Would love to come. But cant see it. It my birthday and NZO goes up 20 cents.

Cant handle two nights in a row. I will get up there sometime.

Have a great night.

Nevermind, hope to see you at a future event. ;)

BTW, the National Convention in Chch on the 29th Nov is MY birthday, which will rule me out of a trip to Christchurch (unless its changed!)

I'll try & get to both Auckland & Christchurch events in the future...

macduffy
24-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi shasta.
Regret I won't be able to make it to the Wgtn meeting but hope to get there some other time.
Have a great time!

Cheers;

;)

shasta
24-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi shasta.
Regret I won't be able to make it to the Wgtn meeting but hope to get there some other time.
Have a great time!

Cheers;

;)

No worries Macduffy, hope to see you at a future event...

Our plans for the next one, will hopefully draw a few more along...

I'll let Lizard post about it, after we discuss it at Saturday's catch-up.

Joey - All ok on the home front? :confused:

Serpie
25-08-2008, 08:17 AM
I'll put in my apologies too Shasta. Booked and paid for the flights some time ago just in case, but I've got too much on the go at the moment to have a whole weekend away.

Have a good meeting.

shasta
25-08-2008, 12:02 PM
I'll put in my apologies too Shasta. Booked and paid for the flights some time ago just in case, but I've got too much on the go at the moment to have a whole weekend away.

Have a good meeting.

No worries Serpie, unless the next National Convention conflicts with my birthday in November, then i'll be down & will drag Strat will me.

joey
26-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Joey

Hope your stay at Bowen was successful & you're ready for next week!

Have you informed the staff of the meeting, & perhaps secured an area for us?

We will need some method of identifying you, unless Lizard is there before 4pm.

For those in Wellington or coming from out of town, please post in here during the week, so i can try & organise transport.

This is the first meeting outside Wellington Central, but i'd like to see a good turn out up there.

Gryffyn - we have plenty of Chelsea matters to discuss :D

With the drink drive laws, there is no reason why public transport cannot be used to get there to/from the venue (ie, buses/trains)

Vince - can you get your mum to drop you off? :D

Hi Shasta - Stay in Bowen was successful, thanks for asking
I will have a chat to bar staff.
I will not be there until 5pm as I will be working until 4ish.
I will be wearing a turquois/navy Ice Breaker top and brown/black Asics. If you require me to have more identification, I could walk into the bar with a card above my head saying "I am joey" like they do at airports when a driver/chauffeur is trying to be identified. It Will provide a bit of entertainment for people in the bar, especially if we all started to do this. Which brings me to my next point. With reading all the apologies for people that people can not make the meeting, it does not seem likely many fellow sharetrader/investors will be there?

joey

shasta
26-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Shasta - Stay in Bowen was successful, thanks for asking
I will have a chat to bar staff.
I will not be there until 5pm as I will be working until 4ish.
I will be wearing a turquois/navy Ice Breaker top and brown/black Asics. If you require me to have more identification, I could walk into the bar with a card above my head saying "I am joey" like they do at airports when a driver/chauffeur is trying to be identified. It Will provide a bit of entertainment for people in the bar, especially if we all started to do this. Which brings me to my next point. With reading all the apologies for people that people can not make the meeting, it does not seem likely many fellow sharetrader/investors will be there?

joey

Hi Joey

The Wellington folk are notorious for last minute "walk up" crowds, we should get a decent number up there in any case.

This thread had had a huge amount of views :eek:

I'll be there from approx 4pm & should have at least Lakeys & Oiler with me?

Only yourself, QOH & Gryffyn haven't met me from those who have confirmed they are coming.

(So far we have Joey, Lizard, QOH, Lakeys, Shasta, Oiler, Toulouse, Gryffyn, Vince, & Mothership(?) from memory...where's WhiteHeron?)

I see off the Tranz Metro website the 3.30 train from Wellington gets to Mana @ 3.56 ($4.50 off peak fare - leave your cars at home!).

Return trips to Wellington from Mana after 6.30 are on the half hour til 8 pm (then hourly after 8.30).

http://www.tranzmetro.co.nz/default.aspx

$9 for a return trip on the train, c'mon Wellington people let's support Joey's idea & show why we are the most "Progressive ST meeting" :D

Here's a map showing the locations...

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&q=105+Mana+Esplanade%2C+Mana%2C+Porirua%2C+New+Zea land

lakeys
26-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I dont do trains so i will pick you up at Thompson st Shasta and others if you like

shasta
26-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I dont do trains so i will pick you up at Thompson st Shasta and others if you like

Perhaps Oiler will need a lift too :confused:

Might need you to go outside around lunch time & look out for his private jet coming round the Bays :cool:

I'll accept the lift with thanks (let's ignore the carbon footprints :D)

Gryffyn - There's room for ya if your quick :rolleyes:

Oiler
26-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Perhaps Oiler will need a lift too :confused:

Might need you to go outside around lunch time & look out for his private jet coming round the Bays :cool:

I'll accept the lift with thanks (let's ignore the carbon footprints :D)

Gryffyn - There's room for ya if your quick :rolleyes:

Shasta/Lakeys

My blue private jet :D will arrive at 3:30. Lakeys I will be in the lobby of the Holiday Inn on Featherston. Looking forward to riding in your new Lambo. :eek:

Oiler

shasta
26-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Shasta/Lakeys

My blue private jet :D will arrive at 3:30. Lakeys I will be in the lobby of the Holiday Inn on Featherston. Looking forward to riding in your new Lambo. :eek:

Oiler

Oiler

We'll swing by the front door step approx 16:15 hours :D

Lakeys will wanna skateboard down my hill first :eek:

Corporate
26-08-2008, 06:40 PM
damn i think I'm going to miss out on a good meet!

shasta
26-08-2008, 06:42 PM
damn i think I'm going to miss out on a good meet!

How come, still time to cancel other engagements :D

joey
27-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi Joey

The Wellington folk are notorious for last minute "walk up" crowds, we should get a decent number up there in any case.

This thread had had a huge amount of views :eek:

I'll be there from approx 4pm & should have at least Lakeys & Oiler with me?

Only yourself, QOH & Gryffyn haven't met me from those who have confirmed they are coming.

(So far we have Joey, Lizard, QOH, Lakeys, Shasta, Oiler, Toulouse, Gryffyn, Vince, & Mothership(?) from memory...where's WhiteHeron?)

I see off the Tranz Metro website the 3.30 train from Wellington gets to Mana @ 3.56 ($4.50 off peak fare - leave your cars at home!).

Return trips to Wellington from Mana after 6.30 are on the half hour til 8 pm (then hourly after 8.30).

http://www.tranzmetro.co.nz/default.aspx

$9 for a return trip on the train, c'mon Wellington people let's support Joey's idea & show why we are the most "Progressive ST meeting" :D

Here's a map showing the locations...

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&q=105+Mana+Esplanade%2C+Mana%2C+Porirua%2C+New+Zea land

Hi Shasta
What exactly am I to arrange with the bar staff at Monteiths Brewery Bar in Mana??

joey

shasta
27-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Shasta
What exactly am I to arrange with the bar staff at Monteiths Brewery Bar in Mana??

joey

Nothing really, just perhaps to reserve an area for us?

Not sure Lizard wants to discuss "Rebuilding the NZX", around a bar leaner with the locals watching the TAB races!

I've always told bar staff to expect say (a dozen or so people), & could we reserve a table for a "Share Traders Meeting", so anyone coming into the bar can be redirected.

PS, I do not look anything like my avatar!

joey
27-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Nothing really, just perhaps to reserve an area for us?

Not sure Lizard wants to discuss "Rebuilding the NZX", around a bar leaner with the locals watching the TAB races!

I've always told bar staff to expect say (a dozen or so people), & could we reserve a table for a "Share Traders Meeting", so anyone coming into the bar can be redirected.

PS, I do not look anything like my avatar!

I'm on to it!

joey

shasta
27-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm on to it!

joey

Be cheeky & see if they will "come to the party" with some snax :D

Cheers should be a good day Saturday too...

Just hope to have a few more posters confirm there attendance

Corporate
28-08-2008, 04:02 PM
How come, still time to cancel other engagements :D

I've got a few things on and will have been away from wellington all week. I'll try though

shasta
28-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I've got a few things on and will have been away from wellington all week. I'll try though

If you can make it great, it's very informal/casual, but can be rewarding talking to others & pinching a few ideas :D

Lizard has a presentation on the 5,000 different stocks she holds :D

Corporate
28-08-2008, 05:43 PM
If you can make it great, it's very informal/casual, but can be rewarding talking to others & pinching a few ideas :D

Lizard has a presentation on the 5,000 different stocks she holds i:D

Yeah it would be good to put some faces to names. I'll try and lets hope there's something exciting coming out of NZO tomorrow, that would make a good conversation topic.

Lizard
28-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Lizard has a presentation on the 5,000 different stocks she holds :D

Naughty, naughty Shasta! You know you've exaggerated by at least a factor of ten! :eek::p

shasta
28-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Naughty, naughty Shasta! You know you've exaggerated by at least a factor of ten! :eek::p

Best you read up on GPG, me thinks Gryffyn will show up :eek:

QOH
29-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Is anyone going to be at the gathering at 4pm? Just reading back it seems like everyone is going to be there closer to 5pm.

Lizard
29-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I am aiming to be there around 4pm and Mothership says she is coming to help me drink the first bottle of Pinot...

QOH
29-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Lizard. I'll aim for 4pm too, still deciding whether to drive or catch train.

shasta
29-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks Lizard. I'll aim for 4pm too, still deciding whether to drive or catch train.

Lakeys & I will be picking up Oiler just after 4pm

Should be there around 4.30ish

STRAT
29-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry to butt in but if any of you Wellintonites are planning to be up in Auckland or round about over the next two months and would like to join us in sunny Aucland Id be more than happy to schedule the meeting around your travel plans if I can. Anyone interested let me know on the Jafa ST Meeting thread.

shasta
29-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Sorry to butt in but if any of you Wellintonites are planning to be up in Auckland or round about over the next two months and would like to join us in sunny Aucland Id be more than happy to schedule the meeting around your travel plans if I can. Anyone interested let me know on the Jaffa ST Meeting thread.

I haven't been up to Auckland in a wee while, i'll keep an eye on the dates & will try & make it up there at some stage. ;)

joey
29-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Re: Montheiths Brewery Paremata Saturday 30 August 2008.

Bar Manager: Mark.

Mention joey or shasta and he will escort you to the area reserved for the Sharetrader meeting.

Chips and peanuts may be provided.

It will be great to see you all.

joey

Lizard
29-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks Joey. Mothership has let me down... so hopefully you don't all leave me drinking at the bar by myself for too long or I'll start slurring that GPG presentation...

shasta
29-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Re: Montheiths Brewery Paremata Saturday 30 August 2008.

Bar Manager: Mark.

Mention joey or shasta and he will escort you to the area reserved for the Sharetrader meeting.

Chips and peanuts may be provided.

It will be great to see you all.

joey

Thanks for organising that Joey, am looking forward to it ;)

Just for everyone's info, i'll be checking in on this thread as late as 3.30 tomorrow arvo.

Any questions speak now or forever hold your peace :D

It would be good to see a few more show up, but please post if you intend doing so, i like to record who does attend :cool:

No one has come forward regarding transport, so i assume it's all ok?

Liz - I'll try & get Gryf's attention on the football threads

See you all tomorrow arvo...:)

Toulouse - Luzern
29-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Shasta et al

I am planning to be part of the fun tomorrow ...

Re: Any questions speak now or forever hold your peace

and tranny options

Is there a spare seat in the Oilermobile?

No problem if not as I will do the scenic rail route.

Cheers

shasta
29-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Shasta et al

I am planning to be part of the fun tomorrow ...

Re: Any questions speak now or forever hold your peace

and tranny options

Is there a spare seat in the Oilermobile?

No problem if not as I will do the scenic rail route.

Cheers

Toulouse

Will check with Lakeys...

PM me your details ;)

PS, It's the Monteiths Bar, not the Sand Bar

shasta
30-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Toulouse

Will check with Lakeys...

PM me your details ;)

PS, It's the Monteiths Bar, not the Sand Bar

I'm logging out now to get ready, see you all at the Monteiths Bar in Mana.

Any latecomers refer back over the thread for all the relevant details.

Those that can't make it until after 5, we'll still be there ;)

joey
30-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry guys, had a long and gruelling day at work. Have Regrettably decided not to make the meeting.

Hope all goes well.

I would be interested in what you thought of Monteiths? Did Mark have the area reserved. Were any chips and peanuts provided? Did bar staff know what you were talking about when you asked where joey or chasta's table was?

Hope to make the next meeting, I will make sure I'm not working Saturday of the meeting day.

Hope you all had a good time.

joey

Crypto Crude
31-08-2008, 06:20 PM
joey-Were any chips and peanuts provided?

the only peanuts that were provided were the sharetraders that turned up...:)
any goss on the event?
.^sc

Corporate
31-08-2008, 06:46 PM
yeah sorry guys never got there.

Good times?

Sideshow Bob
31-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Maybe no one who went has got back yet........

lakeys
31-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, a few new faces and few good yarns and ale's, as well as a great venue. It even had a flash LSD in the toilets! I forgot to ask Liz if the ladies room had such luxuries.
Great effort from Oiler to commute so far again.
Heard a rumour that Shrewd's organising a surprise guest to the next ChCh meeting from the other channel, by the name of K... B... can someone confirm?

shasta
01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, a few new faces and few good yarns and ale's, as well as a great venue. It even had a flash LSD in the toilets! I forgot to ask Liz if the ladies room had such luxuries.
Great effort from Oiler to commute so far again.
Heard a rumour that Shrewd's organising a surprise guest to the next ChCh meeting from the other channel, by the name of K... B... can someone confirm?

Have had some computer problems, but thanks to those who made it out to the Montieths Bar (Joey, very nice views of the harbour, pity you missed it!)

Nice to see some new faces to...

I have some idea's for the next meeting, & have a few venues in mind

Will post these in due course :cool:

QOH
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
for organising the get together. I enjoyed it, and it was nice to put some faces to names.

BIRMANBOY
18-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Just joined up and curious what happens at Wellington meetings and when is next one scheduled.

Lizard
22-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi Birmanboy,

Wellington meetings have just been the odd meet-up in a local bar. Anyone is free to organise, but mostly it has been Shasta who has made the effort. Numbers died off a bit after a few meetings, so hasn't been much incentive to run them - although we did have a good one a year ago when the Christchurch team decided to give it a kick by booking flights up.

If there is enough interest, we can organise another one - I haven't been to Foxglove (http://www.foxglovebar.co.nz/about) yet, but heading through the wardrobe to the Cocktail and Champagne Bar might be an option.

winner69
22-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I feel you would love the Foxglove Liz

Had a fantastic long lunch there a month or so ago .... and the chocolate pud was divine ... best i ever had anywhere

Gives Shed 5 a decent run for their money and a step above Dockside

Didn't get to go through the wardrobe door to Foxtails

And best of they had Little Creatures Pale Ale .... a signof true class

Lizard
22-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Well, if you promise to come, Winner, I'll start organising! :D

BIRMANBOY
22-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks Senor Lizard, being a non-drinker and non smoker tends to make me avoid watering holes...fuddy duddy indeed. I though perhaps it might be a little more formalized with everyone sitting in a tight circle clutching cups of tea in a sideroom at the library...True I dont get out much. I might be out of my age demographic perhaps. Is there a sub-section in wellington area for old farts who need comfy seats and dont drive Beamers? :-) (see I dont know how to use emoticons yet either)..new to this whole scene so all a bit unsure. Appreciate your response its nice of you.

Lizard
22-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Birmanboy,

We are all subsections here - turns out ShareTraders come in a few different types and all sorts of ages.

I had thought about trying to organise something more serious, possibly looking for a few "old-hand" STer's volunteering to tell their story as an investor/trader, but not sure if it would find many takers - either as listeners or talkers. Also, comfortable venues get tricky to find away from watering holes.

BIRMANBOY
22-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi Lizard, yes point taken about all types. I'm probably bit nervous about displaying my greenness to all and sundry. I would be interested in being a listener ...my goals are more geared to not losing what I have so listening to old hands whether they be old or not is of use. I see a gap in the market for people as they retire who are a bit loath to trust "financial advisors" and would like to develop some skills in managing their money more northerly of a 4.5% bank term deposit. So definitely interested in forming either a group of like minded individuals or tagging on to existing org if there is room/resiliance for conservative but competitive investor. I guess the first port of call is to see if there are people who have an interest in being "listeners or talkers" as you say. Thanks for your reply.

STRAT
24-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi Birmanboy,

We are all subsections here - turns out ShareTraders come in a few different types and all sorts of ages.
Hi Liz and Birmanboy.

Haha and our newish member Birmanboy is a great example. A non drinking AND non smoking Share Trader. I never knew such a fellow existed.

Hey Liz.Im in Wellywood this weekend. Want me to set fire to the sign?

Lizard
24-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Want me to set fire to the sign?

Not sure you could get there quick enough once it goes up...

Will you have time to catch up while you're in town? We could do a prelim check on Foxglove and maybe drag Shasta out with us? :)

BIRMANBOY
24-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi there Strat, yes do feel a bit strange in NZ as a non drinker...sort of letting the side down almost. Anyway its difficult enough for me as a share trader when sober...It would be a disaster after a few beers. As a drinker of course, you have the added benefit of not only being able to set fire to the Wellywood sign, but also put out the fire soon afterward if second thoughts kick in(as long as you have taken enough on board). Enjoy your visit.
Hi Liz and Birmanboy.

Haha and our newish member Birmanboy is a great example. A non drinking AND non smoking Share Trader. I never knew such a fellow existed.

Hey Liz.Im in Wellywood this weekend. Want me to set fire to the sign?

Lizard
24-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Also, comfortable venues get tricky to find away from watering holes.

I got as far as checking with Pataka (Porirua) and discovered there are rooms for hire there for as little as $40 - $60/hr if we wanted to do some serious talk, although I'd probably have to think about how we could format something that people would turn up to. One of the problems with the "free" format is that there isn't a lot of commitment and the drop-out rate on the night is usually 30-50%.

Edit: Just checked, and Wellington Library can do even better with their Mezzanine Community Room (http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/venues/details/meetinglb.html) - around $20/hr and basic kitchen facilities, so presumably could do coffee and nibbles.

BIRMANBOY
24-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Lizard, thanks for taking an active interest in this. The library sounds good to me as a central spot. As a newish investor my level of understanding and comprehension would probably be too simplistic for your experienced members so maybe it would be a thought to say split the meeting into two sections with the gurus having say the first hour and then them hiking off for refreshments. Then some charitable gurus hanging around to answer enquiries, give insight share tips etc to the newer less experienced folk. I would certainly be keen and happy to chip in with either an entry/door charge or whatever seems right. As I mentioned I do think that there is an untapped market of investors who "settle" for a bank deposit because its safe and they dont know any other option. My limited investments have been above the bank deposit rate and I have done that with very limited knowledge so I can see the potential there not only for myself but others.
I got as far as checking with Pataka (Porirua) and discovered there are rooms for hire there for as little as $40 - $60/hr if we wanted to do some serious talk, although I'd probably have to think about how we could format something that people would turn up to. One of the problems with the "free" format is that there isn't a lot of commitment and the drop-out rate on the night is usually 30-50%.

Edit: Just checked, and Wellington Library can do even better with their Mezzanine Community Room (http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/venues/details/meetinglb.html) - around $20/hr and basic kitchen facilities, so presumably could do coffee and nibbles.

STRAT
25-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Hi there Strat, yes do feel a bit strange in NZ as a non drinker...sort of letting the side down almost. Anyway its difficult enough for me as a share trader when sober...It would be a disaster after a few beers. As a drinker of course, you have the added benefit of not only being able to set fire to the Wellywood sign, but also put out the fire soon afterward if second thoughts kick in(as long as you have taken enough on board). Enjoy your visit.Good on ya for steering away from the herd. As for the sign. More likely, Id roll down the hill and break my neck while trying to get the Zippo out of my pocket.

Lizard
26-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi Lizard, thanks for taking an active interest in this. The library sounds good to me as a central spot. As a newish investor my level of understanding and comprehension would probably be too simplistic for your experienced members so maybe it would be a thought to say split the meeting into two sections with the gurus having say the first hour and then them hiking off for refreshments. Then some charitable gurus hanging around to answer enquiries, give insight share tips etc to the newer less experienced folk. I would certainly be keen and happy to chip in with either an entry/door charge or whatever seems right. As I mentioned I do think that there is an untapped market of investors who "settle" for a bank deposit because its safe and they dont know any other option. My limited investments have been above the bank deposit rate and I have done that with very limited knowledge so I can see the potential there not only for myself but others.

Hi Birmanboy,
I'd be quite happy to organise such an event if I thought enough people would turn up to make it worthwhile. However, given the nature of ShareTrader, I suspect it would be lucky to get more than 4 or 5 turn up - and then there would be such differences in areas of interest that most would sigh that the content had been of little interest. Anyway, I've put a thread/poll up to test the theory.

The reality is that ShareTrader itself is a virtual form of that meeting that you are looking for - it allows the discussion to take place between unlimited participants over unlimited time and yet allows each participant to pursue their own interests and talk over each other. Maybe that is somewhat dissatisfying at times when no answers are obtained to seemingly important questions, but the reality is that a limited number of people in a physical "event" are likely to do even worse.

BIRMANBOY
26-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Lizard, yes I understand. Needs a near perfect allignment of too many variables and perhaps the forum is best option. If the situation does allign I am interested as a starter but will not hold my breath. If interest develops then so be it. Thanks again.
Hi Birmanboy,
I'd be quite happy to organise such an event if I thought enough people would turn up to make it worthwhile. However, given the nature of ShareTrader, I suspect it would be lucky to get more than 4 or 5 turn up - and then there would be such differences in areas of interest that most would sigh that the content had been of little interest. Anyway, I've put a thread/poll up to test the theory.

The reality is that ShareTrader itself is a virtual form of that meeting that you are looking for - it allows the discussion to take place between unlimited participants over unlimited time and yet allows each participant to pursue their own interests and talk over each other. Maybe that is somewhat dissatisfying at times when no answers are obtained to seemingly important questions, but the reality is that a limited number of people in a physical "event" are likely to do even worse.