PDA

View Full Version : Newby

kat
20-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I have been watching the sharemarket for approx 18 months now and had a teeny tiny amount of cash sitting in the call account. Then decided to play with this money just prior to the crash. I have been reading a couple of books on Technical Analysis and Fundamentals. I really enjoy statistics and graph reading. But have very limited experience.

I'm finding the testing out period very expensive. I enter too late and exit to early when buying and selling shares. I'm using DIY internet. I have been using the candle graphs and stochastic Oscillator combined with business and market news. In the meantime I have looked at this loss as paying for my education of how not to trade, silver linings and all that.

My questions are: 1/ Is it ok to ask the advice of experienced traders about graph reading etc or is that annoying and more of a tutoring thing? So therefore go stick my nose back into the books, and 2/ Can one ask opinions on entry and exit points of a particular stock or is that the kind of thing you DON'T ask on a public forum?:)

AMR
20-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I have been watching the sharemarket for approx 18 months now and had a teeny tiny amount of cash sitting in the call account. Then decided to play with this money just prior to the crash. I have been reading a couple of books on Technical Analysis and Fundamentals. I really enjoy statistics and graph reading. But have very limited experience.

I'm finding the testing out period very expensive. I enter too late and exit to early when buying and selling shares. I'm using DIY internet. I have been using the candle graphs and stochastic Oscillator combined with business and market news. In the meantime I have looked at this loss as paying for my education of how not to trade, silver linings and all that.

My questions are: 1/ Is it ok to ask the advice of experienced traders about graph reading etc or is that annoying and more of a tutoring thing? So therefore go stick my nose back into the books, and 2/ Can one ask opinions on entry and exit points of a particular stock or is that the kind of thing you DON'T ask on a public forum?:)

1. Yes
2. Yes

Even better, turn up to a sharetrader event and have some shares with your beers.

The thing to watch out for are new accounts with low post numbers talking about some massively undervalued stock and how they plan to buy 1 million on their very first post.

shasta
20-10-2008, 06:12 PM

Kat

Like AMR said, Sharetrader members run quarterly meetings, in Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch. if you live in one of those areas i would recommend attending one. (I run the Wellington ones)

These are very informal & have a diverse range of ages, experience & wealth in the market.

Feel free to ask questions on here, this is a community type forum where others will post helpful advice, or direct you to info sources.

We get alot of newcomers asking the same kind of questions, so learn to navigate around the site & what what other newcomers have asked, & learn to use the Search function (most threads on the NZX & ASX sections use the actual stock ticker code, ie NZO).

The Investment Strategies section contains alot of useful info as well.

Otherwise have a look around the various threads on the stocks you hold, & see who else holds etc, this is a friendly site & you will notice alot of friendly banter :D

There are many posters with fantastic TA skills, and many more who provide extensive FA analysis on here.

Once you have found your way around the site, you should start to locate information sources to assist your learning.

kat
20-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Thank you very much for your replies :)