PDA

View Full Version : Hebel Panels

ritchie
24-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Has anyone built with Hebel panels latley. If so....Whats the end result like..Any problems with the building side of things..any other info you might have.

Am thinking of using the product.

Cheers.

ari
29-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm currently building a new home and looked at Hebel in the planning stages but have gone with rendered brick...the Roman's were doing it, so must be fairly sorted by now!
One thing that put me off Hebel was comment that tradesman perceive that you have money to use product, with all the different expertise required etc and therefore quote accordingly.

Capybara
29-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Have assisted with the building of a place that used this product. I think they are a really neat idea and super energy efficent. Would probably choose an architect and builder that has worked with them before as you don't need any trial and error on your own place.

ritchie
30-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Hi Aria and capybara.

Thanks for the replies.

Ari....I have scourced the 2006 Rawlinson cost comparison re building products and 70mm clay bricks and plaster on timber frame costs $274.55 compared to 75mm hebel panel on timber frame at $232.57...I take it this is for a square meter.

That cost includes interior fix...plastering...framing...batts....building paper..applying exterior product...plaster and paint.

I just got a price for a 200sqm house that the Hebel supplier was /had done. They supply and Install.

Hebel....$18,589.00
Installation...$8,988.00
Texture Coating and paint...$16,154.00.

Total....approx $44,000.00.

How does that compare ARI to your project.

minimoke
30-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Ritchie
A few years ago in one of my builds we looked at hebel as we were in a rural setting and liked the idea of a rustic look as well as the other added benefits of Hebel. But a back of an envelope calculation put hebel significantly higher build costs so we settled on a large tumbled brick cladding. A neighbour down the road built in hebel and did it himself. By all accounts the build went well but as he lived 80kms away I didn’t see a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff in the build.

Hebel still isn’t a “traditional” method so you will probably find a pile of unknown costs. Rather than your builder coming out with a box of nails they will come out with all sorts of different anchors – which on a per unit price will always add more. You may find things like engineer costs go up as they try to do bracing calculations. As I recall I quite liked the idea of a rough textured hebel interior but then got onto practical issues like how was I going to run wires, acoustics and dust collection – but didn’t dwell on these things as the costs was prohibitive on a 350 sqm build. One thing I’ve learnt is that the moment you step out of non-standard design/build/construction your hidden costs escalate.

This time around I’ve gone for Rockote on a brick, concrete block and polystyrene walls. Hebel was never mentioned anywhere along the way so didn’t consider it. The concrete block might be the closest to the hebel and the results are excellent. The blocks have internal battens and lined with polystyrene insulation (and I can cut tracks for cables) and then gib over the top. Temperature is a constant 16 degress and soundproofing (with double glazing) excellent.

ari
04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Ritchie...sorry have not worked a final figure for cladding & plaster...all I know is that every inv. I receive has an xtra hidden cost. My trusses were going up today, but every part of the project has had stuff ups, from ribraft floor being too large in some places and too small in others, not boxing out for showers (being cut out today), prenail wrong in 3 places so far....asphalt shingles held for my job going on house down road as they thought is was mine etc etc

BRICKY
04-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Bricks are permenant material ,no need for any mantinance in a few years.As for price Bricks work out cheaper in most cases
(I might be a bit biased as i am a bricklayer)

Financially dependant
05-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Has anyone built with Hebel panels latley. If so....Whats the end result like..Any problems with the building side of things..any other info you might have.

Am thinking of using the product.

Cheers.

No but I have recommended them in the past, the Power panel over timber construction appeals to me. The panel is a good stable substrate for plaster and what I have seen is comparable to other products (brick normally a bit cheaper). They have there own licensed installers and because they are fixed on a dead air cavity (compared to ventilated one) they improve insulation level of wall system (which is an important aspect in these times). I give it the thumbs up!

airedale
05-11-2008, 09:07 AM
There was a Hebel house built near me recently. I spoke to the builder at the time. He said that the Hebel system gives you a good level of sound proofing between rooms and a quiet interior without the minor creaks from timber framing and floors.

ritchie
06-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks to all.

Just using it for external cladding.

As for maintanance...just the same as brick and plaster...still has to be painted.

Bricky..if you are still there....whats the normal brick size for a plastered house.

we live in a brick house at moment and they are the 70mm series.

Im sure there is a bigger more economical size for plastering.....not concrete block though.

ari
06-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Interesting talking with my builder who says he has done numerous repair jobs on Masonary houses (concrete block). They have had to cut out windows and reseal because of leaking/moisture/condensation etc as all you have to rely on is the silicon to seal and no cavity does not help situation.

ritchie
07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Ari...brick and plaster has a 50 to 70mm gap from brick to building paper and framing.

Bricks are tied back with metal ties.

Ive had 2 brick houses now and have had no problems at all....solid as in those waiararapa north westers