PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tenants

Arbitrage
24-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for tenants for a property to rent in Auckland. Very quiet out there. Anyone else noticed?

Why? Too many accidental landlords swamping the rental market? Everyone staying put and hunkering down?

Any comments?

tricha
25-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for tenants for a property to rent in Auckland. Very quiet out there. Anyone else noticed?

Why? Too many accidental landlords swamping the rental market? Everyone staying put and hunkering down?

Any comments?

Anyone with a brain is going to OZ, hence thousands of empty beds in NZ, that leaves me with rocks in my head for coming back.

Does not solve your problem Arbitrage, maybe put your house on a barge and float it to OZ. ;)

fungus pudding
26-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi all,

Any comments?

It's quiet out there if you base your rents on other advertised rents, which also attract few enquiries, or on the rent you got last year.

Dr_Who
28-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Depends on the area.

If you have a decent house in the good areas, still alot of inquiries. The tenants are much more picky and want a good rental rate.

Arbitrage
03-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Great house in a top suburb. Talked to a letting agent today who agreed it is very quiet. Had over 1200 views on the internet site but very few calls. People seem to be looking but hunkering down and not really serious about moving until the economic fog clears.

srowe
04-11-2008, 08:24 AM
We have found things have slowed as well This time around there was alot more of"Ive got a few more places to look at and Ill get back to you" But it really boils down to the quality of your rental.
I take any opportunity I can to improve our places.Granted Im a Professsional Painter,and pretty handy,but nevertheless its even more important now to have places that appeal.
Its an investment in your buisness.
What right now will just get you a tenant will get you the cream in a few years when things pic up.

Arbitrage
25-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Finally got a tenant. Rent the same as this time last year. I agree with the quality thing. This place is well inside a good school zone (which attracted these tenants), faces north and has garaging so normally goes quickly. Looking at trademe some of the places in less salubrious areas have been empty for months. Other landlords I know are getting paranoid about phone calls in case it is tenants wanting to leave. Saw a story the other day about one landlord giving tenants petrol vouchers to stay on.
As for trying to lease out commercial property, that is even worse.... despite what the agents are saying.

srowe
10-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Mayby its just a fluke but when we were trying to rent our 1 bdrm flat in mt Albert [shared bung]about a month ago its was very slow.
So when our 2 bdrm flat became vacant [in another place in Mt Albert][shared Bung]we put it back on at about the same rent and got ready for a hard slog.
This time around the phone wont stop ringing.We have edited our ad in trade me for $10 more because so many people want to look. Mind you its a bung on full nothfacing section but so was the last one. its a crazy world i think that its still hard to rent the rubbish though.
i try to fix them up every chance I get. make those retirement years a bit easier

Dr_Who
10-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I had no problems renting out my recently acquired property.

Mind you the property is in a very good area, great location and in great condition. I rather have a nice house that attract good tenants than a crap place that attract tenants who cant pay and end up destroying the place.

rentex
26-05-2016, 06:58 PM
This is an old thread and the market has changed now but as we approach winter we are hearing the usual murmurs about difficulties finding tenants.
It's interesting that total numbers of available properties in the various Auckland 'districts' (North Shore, Central, West, etc) are all about the same as 2 years ago, despite all the noise in the news.

Dr Who's statement about maintaining properties in good locations is still relevant and the only way to go.
Combine that with reasonable market rents and you tend to get the best tenants applying, staying long term and taking good care of the place. Doing anything else just increases risk and stress unnecessarily. Hope you're all doing well.