PDA

View Full Version : real silver where to buy??

JBmurc
17-06-2004, 09:14 AM
keen on buying some real silver anyone know where i could go about this in NZ not much -500-600 kilo[?]

willy_wonker
17-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Why would you want so much physical stock of silver? How will you carry it and where will you stock it?

Better to buy contracts or futures or stocks

Futurz
17-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Maybe he wants it for some good old fashioned Vampire hunting :D:D:D

kittydashwood
17-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Trade me has good offers on bullion from time to time.

neopole
17-06-2004, 12:31 PM
photo waste management
mt wellington
they have 100's of kilos of pure silver
ph 09 570 4783

lucky
17-06-2004, 01:20 PM
JB..your silver wedding comming up ??

JBmurc
18-06-2004, 10:44 AM
just looking;)could easyly store in steel container-at moment -oil nickel gold shares are the go for me -think warren buffet recenty brough tons of silver bullion[?] worth looking into anyway [?]was talking with chch silver dealer yesterday he belived the price would down
trend under $5-he couldn,t help with a big order -something i found
From now on higher oil prices should feed through the whole system fuelling a run in inflation in all goods and services due to embedded oil costs. This will force up the cost of fiat money and cause traditional asset prices to crumble. The economic impacts of peak oil compared to the oil shocks of the 70s (when gold hit $850 and silver flirted with $50 an ounce) are likely to be orders of magnitude worse. These earlier shocks were caused by a lesser shortfall in production ( under 6%) which was eventually reversed. The 70's oil-shock gives Jason Hommel's prediction of exponential price appreciation for the precious metals precedent, but this time there will be no reversion to the mean. We are caught in a Catch 22 hyperbolic financial & social discontinuity that will short out with resource wars (already underway

JBmurc
18-06-2004, 12:24 PM
-WORTH A READ-. Depletion of World Government Silver Inventories

Over the years we’ve seen systematic and persistent sell offs of world government stockpiles of silver, especially by the US, the largest former historical holder of silver. That means there is very little, or no real silver left that is available to dump on the market in case of a price emergency to the upside. Unlike gold, which world governments can still sell, they can't sell silver to contain a price rise, even if they wanted to. This is true for the first time in history. Never before have the government silver coffers been so bare. If the government fire trucks are called to put out a fire in the silver price, there won’t be any water to pump. This may not be a reason for silver to explode, in and of itself, but it certainly is a reason to expect that a silver rise will have to burn itself out, and will not be easily put out. In fact, given my observations for how governments react, it would not be terribly surprising to see some governments buying silver at exceptionally high prices, now that they have none left. They would finally realize just how vital and strategic this material is.

With government stockpiles exhausted, the only legitimate sellers of inventory will be those individuals who had the foresight to buy real silver in the first place. And these sellers, according to all free market principles, will be striving to get the highest price possible for their property, not seeking to cap the price rise. I am not saying to hold all your silver until it reaches $200, or $500, or $1000 an ounce, although those prices may be achieved. I am trying to explain what I see as valid conditions that may result in those price levels being hit. Any one of the reasons I mention could result in the price of silver hitting levels that will be talked about forever. Amazingly, all could kick in simultaneously. These conditions are peculiar and unique to silver. They don’t exist in any other commodity, nor have they ever.

6. Too Much Money, Too Many People, Too Little Metal

Because of the long-term structural deficit in silver, stretching back to World War II, we have consumed inventories for more than 60 years. Inventory data suggests that we have consumed over 95% of the world silver inventories in that time, some 10 billion ounces in total. This means that world silver inventories are at the lowest levels in hundreds of years. To make the point more graphically, if you use cumulative world production data, and subtract a generous one billion ounce total (known and unknown) remaining silver inventory (no one has been able to document more than 150 million ounces in known silver bullion inventory), we have the smallest amount of aboveground silver than at any time since 1300 AD I'm not making this up - there is less above ground silver bullion equivalent today than at any time in the past 700 years.

How can this be? Simple, up until the past 50 to 100 years, we never used silver for anything but for jewelry, utensils, coinage and investment. It was just like gold. Then came modern technologies that made use of silver in a wide variety of applications. We still use silver for jewelry, but its use in utensil and coinage has fallen off. Meanwhile, it has grown for photography, light and heat transfers, electrical, electronics, catalysts and medicine. The cumulative silver production of thousands of years was consumed in less than a hundred years in vital uses which benefited mankind. The accumulated world silver inventory is gone at precisely the time of greatest demand in history.

Against the disappearance of the world's silver inventories, we have the largest amount of people, money and credit in history while the supply of available silver shrinks. There is more money and buying power. This is reshaping Asia and other countries and it means more demand for silver.

If someone like Bunker Hunt or Warren Buffett goes to buy a chunk of silver, there's going to be a big problem. There isn't enough silver. This is a problem unique to silver th

willy_wonker
18-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Why dont you buy some shares in Aussie Silver minning stocks. Or you can buy long dated silver contracts. Call a options, futures dealer for more info.

Andrew
18-06-2004, 12:42 PM
I will sell you a certificate of silver, which can be redeemed at any time at the face value of silver less commission.

This reminds me of the rip off going on in the eighties. There is no silver to back up the securirty and even if there is supposed to be it may noy be there.

You should ring the Hunt brothers in their Debtors prison in the USA. They thought they would try and corner the silver narket. They lost their shirts.

Silver is reasonably plentiful, but it costs to get it out of the ground. When the price goes up it becomes more profitable and more is dug from the ground. As the price goes down usually due to more srock on hand less is dug up. This is the standard supply and demand model.

Check the silver price over the last 20 years. You would have not got rich holding onto it. The commission on sale of bullion also takes its bit. To make mpney out of silver apart from the small movements up and down ( cant buy and sell on this due to the commission and handling charges) the price will take you 20 years to keep pace with inflation. Better leaving it in the bank. Everyone must meet their waterloo, Buffet may have met his with his so called investment.

JBmurc
20-06-2004, 10:08 PM
_will be investing money into silver&gold miner MMN-home page www.macmin.com.au- i belive this would be the best way of investing in silver
once silver goes through the roof;) millions of onces of silver reserves will be worth many$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[8D]

willy_wonker
21-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Interesting precision metals rallied hard in the last few days. Gold gained $6.20, Silver $5.80 and Plat $15.30. :)

JBmurc
21-06-2004, 03:27 PM
MMN up 8% today :D

Just_roll_it
21-06-2004, 07:30 PM
JBmurc,

Try AGR Matthey - 14 Maidstone St Ponsonby tel:360-4830

They can sell you ingots of silver in (I think) 1 and/or 5 kg amounts. Just rock up with your cash and walk away a few kg heavier. I have done just this but it may pay to phone ahead as the last time I bought some they didn't have stock of the 1kg bars and I have to wait a few days to take delivery. They do of course operate on a margin, from memory it was around 12-14%.

Hope that helps.

JRI.

JBmurc
21-06-2004, 10:29 PM
sounds good will call soon -thanks[^]

ScrappyO
24-08-2011, 08:19 PM
where is the best place to buy silver, NZ Mint seem to have big margins

JBmurc
24-08-2011, 09:24 PM
JBmurc,

Try AGR Matthey - 14 Maidstone St Ponsonby tel:360-4830

They can sell you ingots of silver in (I think) 1 and/or 5 kg amounts. Just rock up with your cash and walk away a few kg heavier. I have done just this but it may pay to phone ahead as the last time I bought some they didn't have stock of the 1kg bars and I have to wait a few days to take delivery. They do of course operate on a margin, from memory it was around 12-14%.

Hope that helps.

JRI.

geezz this is an old thread bring's back memories I did actually ring the number above those many years ago guy reckon I was plain stupid to be buying silver at the time think it was $6-$7oz I remember putting my point across the reason I stated so many times on this forum ,,,he still reckon I was mad silver hasn't gone anywhere for years an will go nowhere as there'ssomuch of it...so I didn't buy any for many years later when it was trading in the low mid teens...

As for where to buy yes your've got the trademe sella personal I would go to the like of- http://www.regal.co.nz/bullion.php or http://www.buy-silver-gold-bullion.com/ both these guys will give you the best deals every day

miner
24-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Have only ever sold gold to Regal Castings but have always found them good to deal with,mate has been selling to them for years also with no problems.

Cheers
Miner

ScrappyO
25-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks JB, thought you might like the thread.

plpa
18-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi all, Im new to this, and have been looking for a place to ask others about ways of buying silver (real physical) in NZ and this seems to be the best place I have found.
Question is, has anyone else come across or used the Bullion Market site? I have bought off it and that all went well, and now im thinking about trying the part where you can list as a buyer what you want and how much you will pay, has anybody out there used this with any success?

PS - Looking forward to results from the FOMC meeting this week!

Titus
19-09-2011, 12:19 PM
This blog is worth a look-in if you're interested in gold and silver - http://www.silver-investor.com/blog/

I watched a video presentation this guy did where he said that the past few years has been the first time in about 30yrs there has been a silver surplus. But his future projections for silver demand were that we would soon be back in deficit due to the huge amount of uses for silver in so many industries - health, water purification, solar panels, textiles, electronics etc. And the fact is the US treasury have pretty much dumped most of their silver reserves.

So how is it there is such a huge difference between buy and sell thru NZ Mint? Are they just greedy? You'd have to see an increase in the order of 20%+ just to break even (as of today sell $59.90, buy$46.69).
I've read MilesFranklin.com in the US will deal directly with NZ customers and ship out the physical coins/ingots (insured). Not sure about the risk, shipping costs and/or possible gst fees applicable?

plpa
19-09-2011, 05:02 PM
In regards to the NZ Mint buy/sell difference, my guess is that they really dont want to buy back from the public and price their buy back rate accordingly. They also probably price in that the condition of the bullion they get back, which may not be suitable for immediate resale and will need repackaging etc... They really are only good if you are desperate to sell quickly and/or in volumes not suitable for the secondary markets around.

If you are looking for an increase I would forget selling back to them, at least in the short term.

However on the plus side the NZmint is fast to move their price whenever the spot price / currency moves because they sell tied to these.

silvertrading.net and westminster mint (coin-rare.com) both will ship insured to NZ however shipping can be expensive if not buying in volumes and silvertrading.net has a 500oz min, both have come through with the orders no problem. There are no GST issues/fees if you are buying .999+, worst i have come across is customs wanting confirmation in writing from the sellers that it was indeed that pure.

There are however some really good sellers in NZ apart from the mint.

skid
21-09-2011, 04:14 PM
500oz is a major shipping bill-

plpa
22-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah USD$149.85..... or US 30c per oz

skid
25-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Be Careful..that standard shipping rate Kitco puts on its buy order is just a guide to shipments close to home -When I dealt with them I got slammed with a major shipping bill--in the end I lucked out that my wifes sister lived 4 blocks away and had a place to store for me so I avoided it ,but it would have been a big hurt.