PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Corporate Bonds

tobo
28-02-2009, 12:58 PM
It seems that secondary market in NZ Corporate Bonds are rather thin.
There seems to be no depth at all on many bonds, and on Govt Stock.
And it also seems that a lot of new Corporate Bond issues get completely swallowed up before their closing dates.

Can anyone comment on if this is the way it always is, or if this peculiar to the global credit crisis.

The only bonds I am seeing traded are Vector and South Canterbury Finance.
And the only new Issue I am seeing is Fontera (AIA seems to have disappeared even though it is supposed to be open till end of March).

My mother (who is long-since retired...and who I could well imagine arguing rates with the bank manager when rolling over fixed deposits) is looking to put some $ in Corporate Bonds.
Is that the practical extent of the choice? Vector, South Canterbury Finance, Fontera.
There are many others in existance, but they don't appear to be able to be purchased. (Can only consider amount to $10k per purchase, so can't consider the $100k ones).

Tobo

POSSUM THE CAT
28-02-2009, 04:02 PM
ToBo try this link http://www.directbroking.co.nz/directtrade/dynamic/fiissues.aspx

tobo
01-03-2009, 10:31 AM
thanks for that.
Also found their Fixed Securites NZX summary page and their Price calculator.
Direct Broking seem to present Fixed Securites info far better than ASB Securities do.

Still leaves the questions
- is thin trading in Fixed Securites the norm?
- is oversubscription of the likes of AIA and Fontera the norm?

POSSUM THE CAT
01-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Tobo I had several banks trying to sell me some Fonterra ones long after they closed. So maybe the banks got to greedy? I personally would not think them a good buy.