PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Lawso
13-03-2009, 12:56 PM
After more than 5 years on ST and 1480 posts, suddenly I find I have to log in if I want to reply to a thread. I don't take kindly to being told: "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page" etc etc.
What's going on??

STRAT
13-03-2009, 01:39 PM
After more than 5 years on ST and 1480 posts, suddenly I find I have to log in if I want to reply to a thread. I don't take kindly to being told: "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page" etc etc.
What's going on??Hi Lawso. Lost your cookies? :D
Have you cleaned up your PC lately? of such things as temp internet files etc. Anyway, when you log on tick the "remember me box" and you shouldnt have to do it again. Let me know how you get on. Mind you if it gets tricky you may have to call in an expert like Trackers.

Lawso
13-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I've ticked the Remember Me? box, Strat, and it's made no difference. It's like email Xtra - they mess around with something that's working perfectly and only stuff things up.

fungus pudding
13-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I've ticked the Remember Me? box, Strat, and it's made no difference. It's like email Xtra - they mess around with something that's working perfectly and only stuff things up.

Are you using internet explorer, and if so what version?

STRAT
13-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I've ticked the Remember Me? box, Strat, and it's made no difference. It's like email Xtra - they mess around with something that's working perfectly and only stuff things up.Hi Lawso,
Can you think of anything at all that you have added, removed or changed on your PC around the time this started?

tobo
15-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Lawso, I've noticed lately I get timed out while I am reading along thread (eg reading an internet attchment). Maybe they changed the way the timeout works, or just shortened the time

Lawso
15-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Are you using internet explorer, and if so what version?
Hi Fungus: I'm using IE5 and I know it needs upgrading to IE7 or whatever. I'm waiting for someone to come and show me how it's done.
Strat: I don't think I've done anything like that.
tobo: That hasn't happened to me.
Thanks, guys, for your interest. Still no response from anyone at ST,

fish
15-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi Fungus: I'm using IE5 and I know it needs upgrading to IE7 or whatever. I'm waiting for someone to come and show me how it's done.
Strat: I don't think I've done anything like that.
tobo: That hasn't happened to me.
Thanks, guys, for your interest. Still no response from anyone at ST,

Digger had a similar problem-he ended up having to change his name to reggid !

Hopefully you will overcome such a frustration .

15-03-2009, 09:44 PM

I notice he is back as digger so must have solved the problem.

Lawso
16-03-2009, 03:24 PM
The logging-in nonsense seems to have corrected itself, or been corrected by some mysterious and anonymous hand.

Vince
17-03-2009, 10:03 PM
The logging-in nonsense seems to have corrected itself, or been corrected by some mysterious and anonymous hand.
Lawso, - Nothing has changed at all. Strat answered the way I would have answered. I thought that would have sorted it for you! Normally 99% of the time a cookie which is required has been deleted, - if you come accross this problem again > Log in again and make sure the 'remember me' box is ticked. If it still does not log you in, dump all your internet cache, cookies, temp file (inculding all offline content. (Found by right clicking on the IE5 icon and then properties.

I would suggest that you upgrade to IE7. It's very easy to perform and should only take about 5-10 minutes. Go here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9ae91ebe-3385-447c-8a30-081805b2f90b) and just click download. (The link is Microsoft) It self installs, and instructions are very easy to follow.

Hope that helps.

Vince

Vince
17-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Lawso, I've noticed lately I get timed out while I am reading along thread (eg reading an internet attchment). Maybe they changed the way the timeout works, or just shortened the time
Tobo, - Sessions did time out after 15 minutes and I've now changed it to 20 minutes unless you keep logged in under rremember me.

Vince

Vince
17-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Fish, - are you like the forum Nark or something?

fish
18-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Fish, - are you like the forum Nark or something?

Just trying to be helpful-I have a low computer literacy and didnt mean to infer anything negative about this great forum.
Thanks for explaining what happened

Vince
19-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Just trying to be helpful-I have a low computer literacy and didnt mean to infer anything negative about this great forum.
Thanks for explaining what happened
I was giving you a wind-up Fish..