PDA

View Full Version : TGR-Tassal Group-something fishy?

lewinsky
25-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Has anyone been following this Tasmanian Salmon producer and exporter?
The shares reached $1.12 in March but have tracked down since then reaching a low of 78 cents.They have picked up over the last three days to 87 cents.Of more interest is the fact that GPG have increased their holding to over 10%. They have stated that they will achieve their forecasted profit for the year. May not be an instant profit maker but could quietly build up underpinned by GPG interest?
Haven't bought in yet because I remember listed salmon farms in NZ going belly up.
Anyone have any views?

floyd
16-09-2004, 06:21 PM
just noticed today, gpg upped there stake to over 15 percent....one to keep an eye on maybe

Media Release

Tuesday, 31 August 2004

Tassal Group Limited announces a net profit of $11.4 million for the year ended 30 June 2004 and a Dividend of 2 cents per share

Results and Performance Overview

Tassal Group Limited today announced a maiden net profit after tax of $11.4 million for the period from the commencement of trading, 10 November 2003 to 30 June 2004. A pre SGARA Australian Accounting Standard AASB 1037 “Self-generating and Regenerating Assets” (SGARA) and Discount on Acquisition (“DOA”) net profit after tax of $3.9 million was reported, compared with the net profit after tax of $3.5 million projected in the Prospectus dated 9 October 2003. The profit is after restructuring and redundancy costs and other abnormal items totalling $0.6 million

An earnings per share (“EPS”) was recorded at 13.95 cents per share. Pre SGARA and DOA EPS was recorded at 4.76 cents per share for this trading period.

The directors of Tassal Group have declared a final dividend of 2 cents per share.

The Company’s consolidated revenue from ordinary activities was $102.8 million. This was translated to a pre SGARA and DOA trading revenue of $59.7 million, which was in line with the Prospectus projection $57.8 million.

lewinsky
25-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Hope someone followed my post on this little fishy. Now back up to $1.12!
And I didn't follow my nose on this :(.
Maybe a case of doing research,hooking one and then forgetting to pull it over the side,so to speak.

Benlamnz
25-01-2005, 07:50 PM
All of GPGs food related interests, including Greens Food rallied over the last week. I don't think it happened by accident. Once they are done with the restructuring of Coats, I expect them to lead or part take in a huge consolidation in the freah food produce sector in Aussie, much similar to what they did with Enza and Turners and Growers in NZ. Maybe be a vertical integration of fresh salmon produce all the way to the canned final product on the shelves is on the cards.

robbo
28-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Tassal (TGR)

Caught a few Salmon yesterday .....

and popped in The Basket...:)

For Uncle Maxie to cook up.... hree at The PUB...

Could Go well with beer Batter... he thought...

So I said: "Make sure it is Crownie Beer Batter, MAXIE .... !!:)"

Regards,

Robbo

Halebop
28-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey Robbo what's the interest in TGR? I've looked at them a couple of times but can't really figure them out.

$1.12/$1.13 seems a key resistance point.

robbo
28-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Tassal Group (TGR)

Hi Haleop,

Put out a relatively significant PROFIT Up Grade Forecast the other day .....

My sources are also relatively Bullish, but someone is selling down today, so could be an inverse opportunity....

The officially upgraded TProfit Forecast for TGR... --- Haleop is:

Earnings to improve by 44.4%, so from current 6.9 cps to 10.1 cps.... and Dividends to double to 5.1 cents per share... which shows "maybe" -- but I tend to agree--- that Free cash Flow-- is also improving....

All that; if that IS in fact achieved regards: TGR Earnings/Profit Forecast Improveemnt.... will undoubtably Improve RETURN on Capital (ROE).....

So trick is, do we agree with TGR... or wait for Market to Agree...??

I'm doing the typical Robbo thing, and "sticking my neck out" .... but am watching the current re tracement quite closely ...... to see how many sellers will be flushed out first....

My initial Target for TGR is say: # $1.45- $1.50-- with a approx: 3 month time frame..... [?]:)

---....Needless to say Haleop, that is NOT advice, just my own view........ !!).

Hope that, re: TGR...that may help a bit ..... Haleop,

You Take care mate,

Kindest Regards,

Robbo :)

winner69
28-09-2005, 12:38 PM
To see why look at Webster WBA.AX

GPG have about 20% of Webster and Elders is another large shareholder. Story on the street is that Websters will be broken up and the assets shared between Elders and GPG

Websters own 25% of Tassel ... GPG get that on top of what they already have and lo behold hold heaps of Tassel

And the salmon farming restructuring goes on

Good stuff eh

roget
18-01-2006, 08:53 PM
On a market cap of around $140m, sales last year of $159m look good. This company (salmon production and marketing) has taken a while to restructure from the old company but got the assets at the right price. Many one off costs won't reappear so earnings should pick up. Also with Chicken (bird flu) and meat (mad cow) going a bit out of favour what chances this will take off. Interesting chart recently with the highs of Feb 05 taken out. The company has done quite a bit of merger takeover and has a tightly held (88%) shareholding. EMAvol has gone through the roof and another insto getting on board. My bet is for a couple of good results over the next year. I am in at $1.23, time will tell.

yogi-in-oz
15-03-2006, 03:38 AM
:)

Hi folks,

TGR ... just some quick short-term analysis.

From the high on 15022006, the candle-count down to
the recent lows is about 9, so from that slide we can
expect a reversal soon.

Backing that up, we can see a big hammer on 09032006,
plus a weak double-bottom, a few days later, on 13032006.

Today's price action was essentially a weak engulfing low
..... high volume, but not enough strength by buyers to
lift it higher than the main body of the previous candle:

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/forums/messages/8/763401.gif

So, if we do get a weak rally, how far will it go ...???

Already, we can see that the price has dropped below the
moving averages, so it may well rally to about 1.23, before
falling again ..... 1.23 being about a 50% retracement of
the last downleg.

Wherever the rally fails, we might expect to see a bunch
of stop losses being triggered, as the price breaks below
that recent, weak double-bottom at about 1.11 ..... :-)

Finally, some analysis along the time axis tells us, that
we might expect some key dates for TGR, around:

16032006 ..... minor (finance-related)

23032006 ..... minor (intraday???)

30032006 ..... negative spotlight on TGR ???

Hope this helps some ..... :)

happy days

yogi

:)

=====

winner69
02-01-2008, 10:39 AM
When this thread 'died' or ran out of puff TGR was just over $1

Now 18 months later over $4 and not another word over this meteoric rise ..... mainly from increased earnings

Another acquisition announced this morning ... more action?

Seems GPG no longer a substantial shareholder ..... and no longer much involved with Websters WBA who own 30% of TGR ..... is this one that got away from GPG

Was on my watch list for years but seemed to forget about them .... like all fish stories this one did get away from winner

_Michael
02-01-2008, 11:00 AM
When this thread 'died' or ran out of puff TGR was just over $1

Now 18 months later over $4 and not another word over this meteoric rise ..... mainly from increased earnings

Another acquisition announced this morning ... more action?

Seems GPG no longer a substantial shareholder ..... and no longer much involved with Websters WBA who own 30% of TGR ..... is this one that got away from GPG

Was on my watch list for years but seemed to forget about them .... like all fish stories this one did get away from winner
Haha - yeah literally!

Poor old GPG seem to be pulling the flowers and watering the weeds of late don't they!

Mick100
02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
you would be better off to just buy shares in websters to get an interest in tassel at the moment

WBA's 30% holding in tassal is worth $2.35 per WBA share

WBA currently trading around $1.80

The rest of WBA's business look's fairly solid and profitable as well, being fresh produce and walnuts

winner69
03-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Mick ... well spotted

Websters operations in their own right look pretty solid as you say ........ even without their share of TGR profits 2007 NPBT was about $5M .... add a bit of growth and you would expect WBA to be worth about $60-$70M.

Market cap currently $117M so you could be saying that the market is valuing WBA 30%share of TGR worth $145M at only $40M-$50M

Sounds like a good picnic ........ smoked salmon with pickled walnuts and some onion marmalade

Tempting eh

ENP
14-05-2010, 01:28 PM
This one looks interesting. The earnings per share has increased 35% since mid 2008 but the share price has stayed pretty much the same.

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks.

macduffy
14-05-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't know the reason but personally I wouldn't touch them at present. The SP has been in a long term downtrend since the beginning of 2008 when it hit $4.00.

If I was interested I'd put them on a watchlist and wait for an uptrend.

h2so4
15-05-2010, 06:32 AM
This one looks interesting. The earnings per share has increased 35% since mid 2008 but the share price has stayed pretty much the same.

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks.

EPS and sp are not always related. EPS does not reflect a companies true picture. EPS is a net income figure that goes on the bottom of a tax return.

TRG does look interesting.

Sp up 4% yesterday.

klid
27-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Hasn't this company done well in the last couple of years.
http://www.fool.com.au/2014/11/10/should-you-buy-tassal-group-limited/

Huang Chung
19-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Seems to have pulled back as a result of the Senate inquiry into Tasmania's acquaculture industry. Always a worry when governments start sticking their noses into industries, but I seriously do wonder what they hope to achieve.

I recently bought in, on the assumption that the inquiry will effectively do nothing (given that at a state level, both Liberal and Labor are supportive of the industry) and that the "fear" gives one an opportunity to pick up a stake at more reasonable prices.

P/E is sub 10, with a 4% yield, according to google finance.

Rumor has it that they are pretty close to finalizing the Di Costi seafoods acquisition, to provide a degree of diversity from Atlantic Salmon. Still nothing official though.

Oh, they also announced last week that they were raising the price of their wholesale whole salmon by $1/kg from 1 May. I don't know how much they are getting for it now, but just a nice change from the ever decreasing prices I see for the output of Aussie iron / coal / base metals / energy companies.