PDA

View Full Version : Biota

Skol
29-04-2009, 11:54 AM
As the hysteria spreads BTA could be a wild ride over the next few weeks. Up 82% yesterday and the Centre for Disease Control recommending Relenza, which BTA makes, over Tamiflu.
The state of California has declared an emergency. 150 people dead in Mexico.
Can take years to find the exact antidote but Relenza is the best alternative in the meantime.

Skol
30-04-2009, 02:45 AM
Biota is listed on the OTC market in the US. BTAHY.PK
Went from 61c to as high as $4.95.

mark100
30-04-2009, 03:33 AM
As the hysteria spreads BTA could be a wild ride over the next few weeks. Up 82% yesterday and the Centre for Disease Control recommending Relenza, which BTA makes, over Tamiflu.
The state of California has declared an emergency. 150 people dead in Mexico.
Can take years to find the exact antidote but Relenza is the best alternative in the meantime.

My latest reading has the Mexican death toll revised down to 7 from swine flu. And the 23 month old child that died in the US was Mexican and had been transferred to the US for treatment.

I agree that even if this swine flu is all just hype it will still benefit BTA as governments stock up on Relenza. But BTA is still the plaything of day traders and it has fallen 5.4% and 11.7% for the past 2 days respectively. OTC trading in the US is very illiquid so not a very good guide in my view.

Skol
30-04-2009, 08:25 AM
It's still a good story with one analyst pricing BTA at $1.38 before the swine flu outbreak.

The future's bright for this company with the new version, LANI, results out mid-year, and a company that's going places are hard to find these days. BTA taking on 30 extra staff to cope with the workload.

THe WHO have raised it to level 5 so that should keep an upward pressure on the share price.

Footsie
30-04-2009, 10:12 AM
be careful with this stock....

Its very volatile... yuo could easily be on the wrong side.

Huang Chung
30-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Joined the Swine Flu bandwagon today with a small punt on BTA. Up 7c so far (woohoo!), but have a tight stop loss in place.

Skol
01-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Biota up 19% this morning on the OTC but as mark100 correctly points out it's not that liquid.
Up 11% on the ASX yesterday.

Skol
25-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Up as high as $1.35 today, still a lot of interest in this stock with very good volumes since 23/4/09

Skol
04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Technically this is looking good and one I'll be watching carefully for a breakout, either way.
There's some news that swine flu is becoming resistant to Tamiflu and Relenza might be the only answer at the moment.

Skol
14-07-2009, 10:32 AM
BTA moved up yesterday and technically looking very good on good volume.
Swine flu now "unstoppable", might be bad news but good news for BTA.

www.stuff.co.nz/world/swine-flu/2591858/Swine-flu-now-unstoppable

Skol
15-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Up 7c today, hugging the top Bollinger Band, hope you've still got your HC, could be a good breakout.

gambier33
15-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Vaccine rather than treatment will be the big long term play with respect to H1N1. Therefore, look to CSL rather than BTA. If you ever get the chance, as I have, look at relenza's delivery system. You need a PhD to use it. That's why it initially bombed when Tamiflu (classic oral mode of delivery) was first released at about the same time. That's also why GSK initially walked away from their agreement with BTA and ended up in court. They kissed and made up but where there's smoke ... . To be fair, apparently the inhaled powder delivery mode of Relenza is actually more topical, but it's so bloody complicated.

BTA might well collect some royalties from a pandemic but, if you go down that path, be nimble - get in and get out. This strain won't be news forever once the vaccine is out and is included in next years seasonal flu shot. CSL will be banking that royalty for years!

Huang Chung
15-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi Skol

Nah...bailed some time ago for a minor loss.

Word on the box over the last day or so is that the Swine Flu should peak in Oz around August, which, you'd imagine, will probably coincide with a peak in media coverage.

Sounds like that might be a good time to take your profits, Skol :rolleyes:.

Skol
23-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Up 20c today on news that GSK will triple its Relenza production and BTA will receive $8.9m in royalties for the 4th quarter.

Skol
15-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Something going on here, up 25c today.
Maybe possibility of swine flu in the northern hemisphere this winter. Also all pilgrims on the haj to Mecca will have to be innoculated, about 2 million.
Good volume today, about triple the average so far, so there might be more in it yet.

Huang Chung
15-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Stories in Oz about cases of Tamiflu resistant strains now appearing. Might mean more sales for Relenza.

hal
16-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Govt's around the world also will have to restock the antivirals they are using because they are used for the seasonal flu as well as pandemic stockpiling.

I believe the US govt and others have already stated they are going to increase the percentage of Relenza they are holding in their stockpiles. I guess that is why Glaxo S.K. are increasing production capacity to 190 million doses per annum by the end of this year

Dyor

Footsie
07-01-2010, 12:12 PM
last years top performer on the ASX All Ords might not fair so well this year

http://timescorrespondents.typepad.com/charles_bremner/2010/01/swine-flu-france-wants-its-money-back.html

Skol
07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Depends, there are reports of H1N1 spreading in North Korea and in the countryside in China.
The government are concerned about the possible consequences of chinese new year when many travel around the country.

Footsie
08-01-2010, 09:49 AM
SKol

its a fear trade.......and that fear is subsiding.

hal
09-01-2010, 01:10 PM
SKol

its a fear trade.......and that fear is subsiding.

I thought it was a cash flow trade. Their product is in demand and they are getting more cash coming in. They recently paid a 11c capital return / dividend. They also have a healthy cash balance.

I suppose we will find out how they are going with GSK's next quarterly report which is coming up soon.

They also have a couple of new drugs in the pipeline one of which has passed phase 3 trials in Japan and could be on the market early next year.. The product is Lanimavir which is a one dose antiviral(lasts 7days). The other drug is a treatment for the common cold which has passed proof of concept trials.
They are seeking partners for both of these products and they have stated that they have a fair bit of interest.

Check out their reports and do your own research. Their website is at www.biota.com.au

COLIN
09-01-2010, 11:25 PM
This stock has failed to meet my earlier expectations. It seems that the threat of a serious global swine flu pandemic has abated - even despite the current severe northern hemisphere winter. I'm not prepared to try and fight the downtrend, so I dumped my total holding on Friday and bought some further mining shares instead.

BUY INTO STRENGTH, SELL INTO WEAKNESS.

Skol
10-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Good breakout on this one today.

COLIN
18-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Long time passing ..

BTA looks as though its turned a corner, and may be on the road to recovery. Picked up a few today.

For some strange reason I bought back into this one a few months ago, only to see it stagnate for quite a while, but good to see a bit of life finally emerging (I'm still with it). I think the reason why I held on was because every time I checked there seemed to be constantly good depth on the buying side. I think the recent rally may be linked to reported fresh outbreaks of the swine flu again, in the Northern winter, with the expectation that this will be reflected in renewed demand for Relenza.

hal
18-01-2011, 11:19 PM
For some strange reason I bought back into this one a few months ago, only to see it stagnate for quite a while, but good to see a bit of life finally emerging (I'm still with it). I think the reason why I held on was because every time I checked there seemed to be constantly good depth on the buying side. I think the recent rally may be linked to reported fresh outbreaks of the swine flu again, in the Northern winter, with the expectation that this will be reflected in renewed demand for Relenza.

Biota also own 50% of Inavir(LANI) which is the new antiviral drug. This is being sold in Japan this season by the producer Daiichi Sankyo.

Biota has been trying to get a partner for the rest of the world for Inavir(LANI) because they need to do further testing. However because the flu subsided last year they didn't do a a deal.

From what I am hearing now and it was mentioned in the AGM addresses they are looking at getting funding for the further testing from another source which is possibly BARDA. It apparently is quite an effort to get this funding but if it comes off it could be a game changer for Biota as they will have the money to do the testing themselves.

This is just what I have garnered from what I have been reading on other sites but it could be quite exciting if it comes off. There are also conditions to get the funding as they have to be involved with an American company and this might be tricky.

Anyway they have 2 income streams at the moment(assuming Inavir has sales). They also have Intravenous relenza in trials and also numerous other products in various stages.

Could be quite exciting times ahead for this one but we will all have to wait and see how it pans out.

Please do your own research

COLIN
07-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Biota also own 50% of Inavir(LANI) which is the new antiviral drug. This is being sold in Japan this season by the producer Daiichi Sankyo.

Biota has been trying to get a partner for the rest of the world for Inavir(LANI) because they need to do further testing. However because the flu subsided last year they didn't do a a deal.

From what I am hearing now and it was mentioned in the AGM addresses they are looking at getting funding for the further testing from another source which is possibly BARDA. It apparently is quite an effort to get this funding but if it comes off it could be a game changer for Biota as they will have the money to do the testing themselves.

This is just what I have garnered from what I have been reading on other sites but it could be quite exciting if it comes off. There are also conditions to get the funding as they have to be involved with an American company and this might be tricky.

Anyway they have 2 income streams at the moment(assuming Inavir has sales). They also have Intravenous relenza in trials and also numerous other products in various stages.

Could be quite exciting times ahead for this one but we will all have to wait and see how it pans out.

Please do your own research

Buyers seem prepared to bid the price up. Suits me!

Indicators mostly favourable.

hal
07-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Buyers seem prepared to bid the price up. Suits me!

Indicators mostly favourable.

Yes it was a pretty high volume day.

Technically it had a breakout from a pennant or flag at about 1.35 so there was quite a bit of buying at that point. It then dropped back but real solid buying came in towards the close and it finished at $1.41.

Hopefully there is some good fundamental news coming.

Huang Chung
07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
An interesting development that may impact companies such as Biota and CSL someday...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1336697/The-flu-jab-need-life.html

COLIN
07-02-2011, 11:28 PM
An interesting development that may impact companies such as Biota and CSL someday...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1336697/The-flu-jab-need-life.html

As an investor I hope it doesn't come too soon, but as a human being (is my "investor persona" human?) I would welcome it!