PDA

View Full Version : End Of Day Data for NZX

Linds
07-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi there,

I've just started to do a bit of share trading, and I'm having real trouble tracking down a source for reliable End Of Day data for the NZX, that I can import into my charting program.

JustData say they are "changing their supplier" and are currently unable to supply an ASX/NZX data package, which is ideally what I want. (That was back in March, they seem to have given up replying to my emails since then.)

Can anyone recommend an alternative source for EOD data.

Many thanks

Linds Redding

wbosher
07-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Have you tried Yahoo - http://finance.yahoo.com/lookup

You need to enter the stock with a .NZ after (eg TEL.NZ) and click on "historical prices" on the left hand side, then "Download To Spreadsheet" down the bottom. Hope this helps. :D

Jay
07-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Search this forum and you will get some info

Also have a look at www.findata.co.nz (http://www.findata.co.nz) or www.infoscan.co.nz (http://www.infoscan.co.nz)

Linds
07-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi wbosher,

yes Yahoo is fine if you just want a price for any given stock, but what I want is End Of Day data - in the form of Open, Hi, Lo, Close prices for all listed securities. This comes in a downloadable data file that can be read by charting software.

I have been trialing JustData's BhodiGold (http://www.justdata.com.au/Products/BodhiFreeway/index.htm) and it works brilliantly, except that they don't currently supply NZX data (Just about any other stock exchange on the planet - no problem).

Linds
07-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Ah! Thanks Jay,
that looks to be exactly what I was looking for...

Jay
07-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Ah! Thanks Jay,
that looks to be exactly what I was looking for...

No worries

I have just switched to infoscan- mainly due to the data being available before bedtime! ASX Data at around 7pm NZT

AMR
07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Do a google searchfor "Yahoo and Google quotes downloader"

Steve
08-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I must have been using Infoscan for some 15-odd years now with no major hassles...

wbosher
11-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Has anyone used MLdownloader?? It seems as though there is a one off charge for the program with no monthly expenses, I'm looking at getting this for that reason. I can't see a downside, just wondering if there is a catch, because I haven't seen it mentioned as an end of day option on this forum.

Phaedrus
12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Linds,
Findata and Infoscan are both reliable sources of EOD data and at only $20/month there is no point in mucking around with inferior freebies.

You will need some historical data as well (more is better)
Findata $120 for 10 years.
Infoscan $100 for 18 years.

wbosher
12-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but how is data from 10 or 18 years ago relevant to what is going on today? I can understand going back a couple of years, but 10-18? I don't get that. :confused:

Phaedrus
12-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Plenty of trends last a LOT longer than just 2 years, WB! Aren't you interested in the big picture?

History provides a framework, a sense of perspective. It enables us to compare what is going on right now with previous booms and busts.

The aim is to learn from past. You do not need to have experienced previous crashes first hand to learn something from them! Human nature has not changed.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana.

wbosher
12-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Understood...it's just that I read somewhere that if you interested in investing long term then it pays to go back as far as you can, however if you plan to trade short to medium term (a few days to a few months) then old data is less relevant.

wbosher
14-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Linds,
Findata and Infoscan are both reliable sources of EOD data and at only $20/month there is no point in mucking around with inferior freebies.

You will need some historical data as well (more is better)
Findata $120 for 10 years.
Infoscan $100 for 18 years.

I have had a look at Findata.com but can't see a Findata downloader. Are you referring to Data Agent which is advertised on there site? Can't see if this includes NZX though. There is another one on there site called Real Edge, this includes a charting package and scanner. This one looks a little over the top for what I want though, at least at this stage.

I agree that for $20/month it not worth mucking around with the likes of MLDownloader.

wbosher
14-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks a-a.