PDA

View Full Version : Data Agent in Windows Vista

wbosher
25-05-2009, 09:03 AM
I recently subscribred to Data Agent to download EOD data for the NZX. I installed it on my home PC which runs WinXP, and it works fine (after some initial teething problems).

I tried to install it on my laptop which run Windows Vista (I really dont like Vista) and I keep getting Runtime error '53': File not found. This normally means there is a missing .DLL file somewhere, which is easy to solve, but the error message doesn't specify which file can't be found.

I'm just wondering if this program is incompatible with Windows Vista, does anyone else have this successfully working on a Vista machine?? I tried running it in compatibility mode for WinXP but this didn't work either.

Any suggestions??

kiwiwim
25-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Suggest you contact Findata. Either by phone or email.
I have found them always very helpful in sorting out my problems.

wbosher
25-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Have you had similar problems? I did contact them after I posted this, they have given me something to try tonight as I don't have my laptop with me.

kiwiwim
26-05-2009, 11:40 AM
No, I did not have similar problems but original problems with folder arangments. I had stuffed up reloading a crashed disk. The guy at Findata had great patience with me and after a lot of emails to and fro I got everything running.

wbosher
26-05-2009, 11:44 AM
He's made a few suggestions but nothing has worked. I'm going to go through to make sure all the system files are intact and working correctly, hopefully that is the issue. WinXP is so much easier to troubleshoot, I really don't like Vista. :(

wbosher
28-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Nope, updated all Windows updates and has been rebooted several times. Coming from an IT background, that's the first thing we ask our customers - "have you rebooted your PC?". Probably the most spoken words in IT history. ;)

When I get a chance I'll take a good look at it, works well on my XP machine so don't really care too much at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem to save myself some digging.

Thanks for the replies though. :)

Jay
28-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Just a thought - nothing to do with the UAC?? I had this problem with a programme similar to the the Data Agent.
On the properties - select to run the programme as administrator (or similar)- worked for me, though I was getting a different run-time error (44)

wbosher
28-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Tried that too Jay, it was the first thing I tried. I'm logged in as an admin anyway so it shouldn't matter. I also tried running it in compatibility mode for WinXP and it spat out a different error, which I might also look into.

I think I may have some missing or corrupted .DLL files or something similar (Windows is good like that), my friend Google will help. :D

wbosher
28-05-2009, 04:14 PM
1. Uninstall the previous program you have installed.

Tried that.

2. Reformat your PC

Absolutely not an option. I have a working copy of this program on another PC so I'm not blowing away everything on my laptop for one app.

3. Registry cleaner

This was going to be the next thing I try. I've got a good reg cleaner that I trust, some cause more problems than they solve!!

In the error message, DLL_File_Name is the name of the DLL file that is being called.

This is my main problem, the error message doesn't state what .DLL file is missing, they couldn't possibly make this easy for me. :rolleyes:

Runtime errors may also occur due to the existence of invalid registry entries and malware infections.

Have already run a quick spyware and virus scan but nothing was found. Will run a deeper scan over night some time this weekend.

I suspect that a registry scan may throw up some clues but I have to get my wife off of the damn thing first. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll let you know how I get on when I get a chance to have a play with it.

wbosher
29-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Went to have a play with the laptop today but the bloody battery charger has just died on me...Grrrrrr. Oh well, it'll just have to wait. :mad::mad::mad:

wbosher
01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Oops, there's nothing wrong with charger...it was a blown fuse for the power point. :o

The good news is I got the laptop sorted. A good clean out of the registry did the trick. A bit of advice for anyone else planning a registry clean, ALWAYS back up your registry first. It can really mess up your PC, I learned that the hard way a few years back.

Anyway, I'm happy now. All is good in the world. :D:D:D