PDA

View Full Version : AMP

rosey
29-06-2004, 07:40 PM
dont no if this thread is going but.................
holders of this stock should be smiling
close of $7.00 today
not bad comming from $4.80 in february
keep smilin
cheers
rosey

whiteheron
29-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Still below what i paid on average but plenty of upside yet i feel
Regaining some of its (deservedly) lost mana

huss
29-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Ah yes Rosey, but I still remember the ones they gave me at $25+. And the ones I bought during the fall.....before it fell all the way.
So I find the "paid on average" idea still says more climbing needed.
However things are starting to SOUND OK, especially when it is AMP doing the talking.

I managed to quit most of my freebees for $25, so it doesn't owe me much, and I'm using the divvy plan, so have accumulated more, some a reasonable rates.

Does anyone have an opinion on HHG ? I'm holding in an interested way seeing that they have again cost me nothing - except the overall share price loss.

Still watching quietly.
H.

rosey
05-07-2004, 08:03 PM
dont mind me as i have just sussed out how to post a chart
this is an interesting stock and quite a gain in the last 4 months

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-5/715178/amp002.gif

ruethewhirl
08-12-2005, 11:12 AM
One wonders if the sudden institutional interest in AMP
will be enough for the stock to break thru that irritating
resitance level that has plagued the nascent share price
recovery of AMP.

Time will tell.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1117575/AMP.GIF

The BOWMAN
26-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Fellow share traders, does anyone have any clue why AMP share price has been dropping a fair amount recently? What is going on?

Snow Leopard
26-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Not just AMP, but AXA, PMN, etc and most of the banks also. i.e financials in general. Even TWR was being affected by this sentiment, but yesterdays result seems to have kicked that for the day.

I think it started as a feeling that they were fully priced and with the current jitters about the world economy and the recent decline in stock markets there is the worry about their future earnings, bad debts, losses, whatever.

Phaedrus
26-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Do you guys each have an objective? Are you clear as to exactly what you are trying to achieve here?

Do you want to hold AMP so long as the long-term (2 year) trend is intact? Then relax. Current price action is well above a confirmed trendline and well clear of a suitable trailing stop. "AMP share price has been dropping a fair amount recently". Nah! Take a look at the magnitude of this recent drop that is concerning you. It is nothing at all out of the ordinary for this quite volatile stock. If you want to hold on for the long-term you MUST give stocks sufficient room to breathe.

Do you want to trade the secondary "medium-term" trends? Trade them then! You should have a system that you know works reasonably well and you should keep to it. Worried about this little retracement? Why? Most medium-term systems would have you out now anyhow. See what I mean? Either trade these fluctuations or resolve to ride them out. One or the other. It is all too easy to fall between 2 stools and fail to gain the benefits of either approach. Standing on the sidelines wittering on every time there is a minor retracement is just so much wasted effort. Sort yourselves out!

http://h1.ripway.com/Phaedrus/AMP526001.gif

The chart shows secondary trendlines in light green and magenta, with small arrows marking the trendline-break buy/sell points. The long-term trendlines are red and dark green.

Snow Leopard
26-05-2006, 02:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Phaedrus

Do you guys each have an objective? Are you clear as to exactly what you are trying to achieve here?

Do you want to hold AMP so long as the long-term (2 year) trend is intact? Then relax. Current price action is well above a confirmed trendline and well clear of a suitable trailing stop. "AMP share price has been dropping a fair amount recently". Nah! Take a look at the magnitude of this recent drop that is concerning you. It is nothing at all out of the ordinary for this quite volatile stock. If you want to hold on for the long-term you MUST give stocks sufficient room to breathe.

Do you want to trade the secondary "medium-term" trends? Trade them then! You should have a system that you know works reasonably well and you should keep to it. Worried about this little retracement? Why? Most medium-term systems would have you out now anyhow. See what I mean? Either trade these fluctuations or resolve to ride them out. One or the other. It is all too easy to fall between 2 stools and fail to gain the benefits of either approach. Standing on the sidelines wittering on every time there is a minor retracement is just so much wasted effort. Sort yourselves out!

Calm down oh technical one. Our objective is to come a conclusion as to the reason for the recent decline in share price, seems clear enough to me.
Perhaps i should add genereal market sentiment and medium trend TA's selling out to my original answer.
regards ;)

26-05-2006, 02:19 PM
They were ex a 40c(Aust) special dividend today which covers some of the decline.

ScrappyO
06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Phaedrus would it be possible for you to give us an updated chart on AMP.
Cheers ScrappyO

Phaedrus
06-03-2008, 02:15 PM
ScrappyO,

AMP's downtrend is showing no technical evidence of slowing down - in fact it appears to be accelerating. I presume you are looking for possible entry points. (Please don't tell me you are holding this stock!) Buy signals would be generated by a break of the trendline or trailing stop or any of the 3 oscillators shown here. The 4 Sell signals (red arrows) were very widely spaced (spread over about 10 months) but all gave an exit at around $11.50. The trailing stop (blue) is based on the Average True Range of AMP, but if you don't have access to that, a simple 8% trailing short stop is just as good, maybe better in this case, because it lies closer to current price action.

My advice? Don't even think about buying this stock!

http://h1.ripway.com/Phaedrus/AMP36.gif

ScrappyO
06-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Cheers for that Phaedrus...No I don't hold any and won't be looking at buying after seeing that chart.
Thanks Again
ScrappyO

11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
An accurate assessment by Phaedrus. Down to 7.91 now.

Arbitrage
15-01-2013, 11:22 AM
You are right, AMP seems to be rarely discussed and yet it is a major company both here and in Australia. Both AMP and its offspring Henderson Group (HGG.ASX) have been trending upward over the past few months. I believe this may be due to the inflow of money into fund managers from investors looking for yields that are better than term deposits but not too higher risk. I have no solid evidence yet until each of the companies report, however I have noticed some commentators talking about this in the media.

Hoop
09-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Been in a primary downtrend for 1.5 years from ~$7.50 to today's $5.30 up 8c..Mr market seems happy with the FY16 Report (https://www.nzx.com/files/attachments/252600.pdf) announced today..

There's a bit of irony in the report that tickled this Kiwi's perverse funny bone..

Report quote...
Australian Wealth Protection
Performance was impacted by negative experience and the actions to stabilise the business announced in October 2016, including strengthened assumptions, which led to a one-off capitalised loss of A$484 million.....

nice one :D:D

Joshuatree
16-06-2017, 02:46 PM
A$5.08 atm.

"From today's Australian:

DataRoom understands UBS, a long-time close ally of AMP, and Macquarie are working on a range of proposals under which the wealth management giant could offload the life business."

bottomfeeder
16-06-2017, 09:51 PM
The arbitrage traders just seem to take over the SP on the NZX. Yet the big writedown of their assets recently seems to suggest the Directors think they know what they are doing, but they are just dumb asses. Why didnt they see this coming. All of a sudden they write off 1/2 billion. Yeah, continuous disclosures, (my ASS).