PDA

View Full Version : Word processing programme

Skol
15-06-2009, 07:25 AM
My laptop has a Vista version which has no word processing programme.
Can anyone recommend one or point me in the right direction for obtaining such a programme on the internet?
Thanks

whirly
15-06-2009, 08:40 AM
http://www.openoffice.org/

OldRider
15-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I haven't used this program, but saw it listed day or two ago, no harm having a look,

http://www.abisource.com/

POSSUM THE CAT
15-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Skol what about Microsoft Office With everthing in it Or smaller version microsoft Works

fungus pudding
15-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Skol what about Microsoft Office With everthing in it Or smaller version microsoft Works

Problem is if you haven't got it you will have to buy it. Open office is freeware and comes bundled with spreadsheet, word processor, data base and more. I've found it every bit as good as Microsoft office, although I don't use those programs too often. Many users say it's better.

Skol
15-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'll have a look.

POSSUM THE CAT
15-06-2009, 12:30 PM
FungusPudding it depends on your needs as I am mainly interested in spread sheets I cannot coment on open office word processor but the spreadsheet last time I looked at it was an absolute shocker compared to Microsoft Works which is usually given away free with a New Computer and Open Office Free version quite often needs a paid for update to obtain the latest Version.

fungus pudding
15-06-2009, 12:55 PM
FungusPudding it depends on your needs as I am mainly interested in spread sheets I cannot coment on open office word processor but the spreadsheet last time I looked at it was an absolute shocker compared to Microsoft Works which is usually given away free with a New Computer and Open Office Free version quite often needs a paid for update to obtain the latest Version.

Intgeresting comment. I use microsoft spreadsheet, but just for a laugh I cut and pasted a whole speadsheet full of info - from microsoft onto office spreadsheet which is called openoffice.org calc. It's as easy to do that as it is to copy onto another blank microsoft spreadsheet - say for another computer. I played with it for a day or two and couldn't fault it. From memory it had a few advantages in formating display. I stuck with microsoft but for no particular reason. Was it an old version you tried? I am not aware of any paid update required, and I certainly wouldn't call it a shocker.I suspect it may have been some time ago you tried it. But you are right - works always comes free with windows.

POSSUM THE CAT
15-06-2009, 06:09 PM
FungusPudding Some time ago and the version of open office I had was superior to the free download version of office at the time (daughter got it through A university and their were better versions available for purchase. Some of the older versions of Excell had better charting systems than the latter ones for my purposes with the charts on alternative pages to the spread sheet rather than all the scrolling you have to do with the newer ones Some of the graphing features in the older version were better than newerones especially combination of line & Bar charts.

David Hardman
17-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Open Office never charge for updates. Its a very good product.

However more and more I'm finding I'm using google docs for my word-processing/basic excel needs.

docs.google.com