PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a fundy. Energy and resource valuation books?

AMR
25-06-2009, 11:56 PM
With my new lifestyle choice I no longer have time to check shares every day (every 3-4 days is the norm now).

I would like to become a fundamentalist long term investor (combined with long term technicals) but this would imply having to learn how to read balance sheets, PEGs, etc.

Was wondering if someone would be able to recommend a book on investing in junior miners/oilers which discusses valuation of resource in ground, types of transport neccesary, costs for drilling/proving up reserves, etc. I already have one by Kevin Corcoran but it's not great for the coal/oil/gas sector.

dragonz
26-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Amr

You might find this useful for working out Gold miners enterprise values.

http://goldnerds.com.au/o/content/view/28/

I did have a simplified do it yourself version somewhere but I cant find it.

STRAT
26-06-2009, 11:24 AM
So you have been seduced by the dark side eh AMR? :eek:

AMR
26-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Yea STRAT my 40 accounts at hotcopper are getting ready for ramping as we speak :)

Fundamental analysis seems to fit busy people far better actually, I'm also thinking of switching to weekly candlesticks or even monthly candlesticks TA wise.

STRAT
26-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Yea STRAT my 40 accounts at hotcopper are getting ready for ramping as we speak :)

Fundamental analysis seems to fit busy people far better actually, I'm also thinking of switching to weekly candlesticks or even monthly candlesticks TA wise.
You wont need any FA for that. Just take a look at the ITC thread over there today. I read the thread and immediatly went and sold down half :D

ratkin
29-06-2009, 04:25 PM
A wise choice !!

However , do you really think that junior mining stocks are the best fit for such an approach?

Steve
29-06-2009, 05:27 PM
The Securities Institute of Australia use to have a Mining paper that could be taken as part of the NZX Diploma...

shasta
29-06-2009, 06:10 PM
With my new lifestyle choice I no longer have time to check shares every day (every 3-4 days is the norm now).

I would like to become a fundamentalist long term investor (combined with long term technicals) but this would imply having to learn how to read balance sheets, PEGs, etc.

Was wondering if someone would be able to recommend a book on investing in junior miners/oilers which discusses valuation of resource in ground, types of transport neccesary, costs for drilling/proving up reserves, etc. I already have one by Kevin Corcoran but it's not great for the coal/oil/gas sector.

I typed out a long response & lost it...:mad:

PM me your email address & i'll send you some old examples i've used to calculate Enterprise Values (EV).

I also use "Sum-of-the-Parts" as a quick & easy method.

Refer my CXC calcs on that thread a while back ;)

AMR
29-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Shasta, I have pmed you.

shasta
29-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks Shasta, I have pmed you.

Check your email ;)

steve fleming
29-06-2009, 09:40 PM

2 v. good books:

Lonergan, W 2006, The valuation of mining assets, University of Sydney Press ISBN 1920898263

Rudenno, V. 2009, The Mining Valuation Handbook, 3rd edn
John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 9780731409839