PDA

View Full Version : How to start with Share Trading?

Zorwarrior
24-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi,

I registered here a few years ago but never made much use of the forum. Recently, I have had a renewed fascination with shares and am thinking of trying a bit of part-time trading. I continue to be involved deeply in real estate but want to try my hand on something different now and something that is less capital intensive.

As I work full time, I cant quite put in a lot of effort into it during the day. Has anyone been successful in trading part-time while working I have got myself the yahoo widget for stock quotes called ‘Yahoo Stock Ticker’ (http://widgets.yahoo.com/search/top-downloads/p/1) and that gives me very accurate and timely (every few minutes) updates on the market prices of shares I am interested in.

However, what I lack is getting my hands on company information, announcements, rations, company reports etc to analyse a company. The other thing I would be keen to find is any Buy/Hold/Sell recommendations from places ABN Ambro etc. Can anyone help a newbie? Thanks in advance!

Zorwarrior
27-07-2009, 09:54 AM
thanks Belgarion. When you say investor not trader, you mean you basically buy and hold? Or are you just not a day-trader? If you just buy and hold, is your income mainly from dividends? I just struggle to see how dividend income could be substantial, but that’s just part of my learning Rather ask the hard dumb questions now than act like I know everything at the moment 

Also, where do you get the information to research? So far I have got info from the newpapers online, ASB bank sharetrading site and this forum. But I am not sure if that is enough

Thanks !

TTrader
29-07-2009, 05:26 PM
My main job is in IT where I work fulltime but my main income is from shares ... Never had a problem working full time and being a sharemarket investor (not a trader). I do spend about 20 hours plus a week researching though, so it could be classed as a second job ... or maybe my main job which pays a better rate ... come to think of it ... wouldn't that make my main job something of a hobby if it pays less but I spend more time at it ... Damn! too much for a Friday arvo when the beer fridge has just opened .... :)

Funny enough... I'm in the exact same situation as belgarion I also work full time in IT but draw a larger income from trading both shares and forex.

I guess it comes down to how you want to trade... In all honesty IT work has always been pretty straight forward for me with plenty of time to spare (give or take the odd horror day)... Because of this and the relaxed attitude of IT managers I trade from work all day. Once home if I am still in the mood which is usually the case on a nice summer evening ill just keep trading through the night until i've had enough.

I guess in your case it comes down to how you want to trade. If you are prepared to sit down and do the research, buy at good value and set your sell points then you should do well for yourself.

Zorwarrior
30-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Another question, where do I get good charting software from?

wbosher
30-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Funny enough... I'm in the exact same situation as belgarion I also work full time in IT but draw a larger income from trading both shares and forex.

I guess it comes down to how you want to trade... In all honesty IT work has always been pretty straight forward for me with plenty of time to spare (give or take the odd horror day)... Because of this and the relaxed attitude of IT managers I trade from work all day. Once home if I am still in the mood which is usually the case on a nice summer evening ill just keep trading through the night until i've had enough.

I guess in your case it comes down to how you want to trade. If you are prepared to sit down and do the research, buy at good value and set your sell points then you should do well for yourself.

Ha,ha, I'm in the same situation. Working in IT, plenty of time on my hands...unless something breaks. One slight difference, my day job pays considerably more that my trading income. Hopefully that'll change over the coming years. :D

gnash
30-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Heya. I'm about to take a punt at share market investing m'self... and yep, I'm in IT too. Don't have much free time at the moment though but I do mad research with whatever time I've got. Really looking forward to getting my foot in the door.

Anybody here read "Sensible Share Investing" by Austin Donnelly? I'm interested in getting feedback on someone who's applied his principles - in full or in part.

AMR
30-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I've been too busy to trade lately so have started looking at weekly candles, trends, and patterns. Most chart programs have a weekly setting.

"Active investing" By Alan Hull also has a weekly trend following system.

wbosher
31-07-2009, 07:35 AM
If you're looking for charting software that won't break the bank, there's a couple of packages on findata.co.nz that do a pretty good job. Take a look at this - http://findata.co.nz/Products/RealEdge.aspx

STRAT
31-07-2009, 08:23 AM
You IT guys who want to trade too must really really really love computers :D

wbosher
31-07-2009, 09:20 AM
You IT guys who want to trade too must really really really love computers :D

Except for the days when I want to throw it across the room in disgust. :mad:

Placebo
31-07-2009, 09:36 AM
To come back to Zorwarrior's query - actually the best place to do your research is on the websites of companies you are interested in. Go and read some annual reports and familiarise yourself with how to read balance sheets/statements of financial performance. They also have a lot of information about a company's culture, achievements and aspirations. This can be informative.

All companies provide updates to the NZX (or other exchanges where they are listed). These can also be informative. You are probably already receiving these through the Yahoo stock tracker service you are up with.

Another quick and dirty service I use is stocknessmonster.co.nz - though it is pretty basic but interesting to compare stocks.

The other thing you can do is talk to financial analysts or financial journalists (if you know any or have access to them). They can provide big-picture insights and have a pretty good grasp of the environment (the smart ones do).

I find brokers reluctant to commit to anything - they don't want to be seen to be recommending something that might go west on them. Having said that many brokerage houses (Forsyth Barr and the like) have libraries full of research notes on companies. If you become a client of one of the full-service brokerages, you can gain access to their library. But do it soon before they all migrate to Australia!