PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice please....

pierre
06-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I am soon to receive about $100k from an inheritance and would appreciate some thoughts on where to invest it. I already have a reasonable portfolio of NZ shares but not much in Oz (apart from BHP and TAL).

I think I should probably add more Oz shares but don't really know the market that well. I don't need income right now so I'm looking for best opportunities for cap growth over next 4-5 years. I would quite like to include a bank (which one?) but would be interested in your thoughts on 3-4 best prospects for investment right now (in NZ or OZ).

Mr_Market
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
You may never have a better opportunity to get into U.S. stocks. Prices are low and the NZ$ is high. If you don't want to be bothered trying to pick stocks then just buy an index such as S&P500.

Rabbi
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
You might like to take a look at some Aussie Coal Seam gas shares, in particular Bow Energy (BOW) Victoria Petroleum (VPE) Blue Energy (BUL) and Westside Corp. (WCL).

These are all considered by many pundits, to have outstanding growth prospects.:cool:

voltage
06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Mr Market has good advice. Global shares are a good way to go. Perhaps choose 10 global companies like Johnson and Johnson, Vodafone etc any reputable broker will supply info.

shasta
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I am soon to receive about $100k from an inheritance and would appreciate some thoughts on where to invest it. I already have a reasonable portfolio of NZ shares but not much in Oz (apart from BHP and TAL).

I think I should probably add more Oz shares but don't really know the market that well. I don't need income right now so I'm looking for best opportunities for cap growth over next 4-5 years. I would quite like to include a bank (which one?) but would be interested in your thoughts on 3-4 best prospects for investment right now (in NZ or OZ).

With your stated timeframe of 4 - 5 years, the two key areas i'd be looking at for you are Energy & Healthcare.

Both are not "cheap" sectors but seem fairly resilent to the economic environment.

The ASX has on there website a section dedicated to these areas, including the different sector indexes, & all the companies that are in it

Thats probably a good place to start ;)

Grand Uber
06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Your going to get different answers from everyone, personally I would be looking for stocks with the lowest P/E ratios and highest dividend yeilds which are not in a downtrend.

Then from their pick the ones which are most fundamentally sound, or primed for recovery.

Theres not always something worth buying, if in doubt wait

100k could disappear very quickly in the wrong hands :D

Good Luck!

AMR
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
The mortgage? Debt reduction?

Perhaps an education in shares, both fundamental and technical analysis firstly.

modandm
07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
it depends on how interested, educated, motivated, and how much time you have to monitor your investments.

if you want something hands off i would buy into a managed fund or an index (or several indexes).

Stock picking isnt the easiest thing in the world and diversification is the number 1 rule of portfolio management.

I know good financial advisers may be hard to come by but a good financial advisor is worth their salt. Just make sure you ask for their disclosure statement so you can see hom commission is affecting their opinions. Better yet find a fee for service one (no commission).

100k is a reasonable amount to invest in shares - do it right

Hoop
07-09-2009, 11:00 AM
The mortgage? Debt reduction?

Perhaps an education in shares, both fundamental and technical analysis firstly.

We don't know your financial position in life and we do not know your personality profile so can't advise much...if you have got debt then do as AMR suggests.

If you are debt free but don't have much time in your life to spend keeping updated on your shares and the general market as a whole then invest the 100k into some else*.

Note:... Many Equity markets (Australia included) are in a secular bear market cycles. Therefore investing in sharemarket index funds may not be your best option

* Long term (e.g 5+ years) [invest and forget] investment strategy produces very poor results in a secular bear market cycle periods. Therefore look for other markets that are in Secular Bull market cycles

STRAT
07-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I suggest Shove it in the bank till you have a better idea. An inheritance is pretty much someone elses life savings and someone who thought a lot of you. Personally out of respect I wouldnt put it on anything that wasnt a sure thing.

Good luck finding a sure thing. Im still looking :D

shasta
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I suggest Shove it in the bank till you have a better idea. An inheritance is pretty much someone elses life savings and someone who thought a lot of you. Personally out of respect I wouldnt put it on anything that wasnt a sure thing.

Good luck finding a sure thing. Im still looking :D

Perhaps they could place a small %age in your "chart art"...

Could be a STRATegic investment long term ;)

STRAT
07-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Perhaps they could place a small %age in your "chart art"...

Could be a STRATegic investment long term ;)lol. Im sure thatd be a loooooooser of an investment

JBmurc
12-09-2009, 08:19 AM
at this time- CFE
yes the whole 100k

reason why I say CFE is the fact they have good interests in
-Iron ore,gold,silver,copper,U308,zinc,lead,platinum

they have a good history in returning profits to shareholders

so your really getting a good Diverse holding in resources in one company that also has penatly cash great T/A an F/A an if you keep a close eye on CFE a pretty low risk.

If I could only have one share CFE would be it currently I hold near a doz different shares
As of friday I've doubled my value of my portfolio from 30th march 09 000,000's

CFE-is my largest holding

contrarianinvestor
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
The biggest investment mistake you will ever make is to follow investment advice on public forums such as these. The first step is to study The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. I've read it four times and still learn from it. The next step is to read all Warren Buffett's Bershire annual reports, from 1969 to 2009 (it pays to learn from the best proven money makers). The book One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch is also useful.

JBmurc
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
The biggest investment mistake you will ever make is to follow investment advice on public forums such as these. The first step is to study The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. I've read it four times and still learn from it. The next step is to read all Warren Buffett's Bershire annual reports, from 1969 to 2009 (it pays to learn from the best proven money makers). The book One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch is also useful.

Too right still I'd bet a mill CFE will return be growth that bershire in the next 5yrs

public forums will aways have penalty a rampers an dumpers an thats why investors using forums should still do penalty of their own work Sharetrader is one of the more honest forums IMHO just do a history check on posters post's soon see if they are any good at share selection sometimes trusting only the brokers an Buffett want-ables can send you funds down the drain just as quick...
like trust say Eric Watson he was a successful business man a good money maker say you invested your 100k into Hanover rather than listen to sharetrader poster.
Personal I'd trust my fellow posters higher than most brokers

JBmurc
21-10-2009, 11:27 AM
if your'd invested your 100k into CFE when I said it would now be 120k with a 25k divie likely early next year an a much higher SP LOL