PDA

View Full Version : ELD Elders .... must be money to be made here

Pages : 1 [2]

Dr_Who
13-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Good to see you refettled Dr.

We all have our good ones and bad ones, as long as the good out weighs the bad it is all fun. :)

The last couple of years have been fun, esp the great returns from resources. :) Alot of experience advisors and analysts missed out on the resources sector, so I hear.

shasta
14-07-2010, 05:34 PM
We all have our good ones and bad ones, as long as the good out weighs the bad it is all fun. :)

The last couple of years have been fun, esp the great returns from resources. :) Alot of experience advisors and analysts missed out on the resources sector, so I hear.

ELD - 2010 Woodchip Pricing

http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=ELD&E=ASX&N=338818

Some more good news to keep the share price ticking along

winner69
09-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Still on a roll eh Dr Who .... this is fun

Hope you having a piece of the action !!!!

Well into the 50's now eh Dr and today looks pretty solid after that announcement

This is still fun .... you no doubt still enjoying the ride

Dr_Who
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
ELD sp have put on 100% since their low. Wonder whats up?

winner69
16-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Whats up today Dr ..... large volumes and +12%

Dr_Who
16-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Whats up today Dr ..... large volumes and +12%

Dont know. Maybe possible corporate activity, esp with AWB now with two buyers having a bidding war for its shares.

disc: holder of AWB

shasta
16-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Dont know. Maybe possible corporate activity, esp with AWB now with two buyers having a bidding war for its shares.

disc: holder of AWB

The increased offer for NZ Farming Systems must be playing some role in the sector, with a South American company interested @ 60c

Dr_Who
19-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Geeze alot of buying in ELD. They are all taking turns filing SSH.

Dr_Who
20-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Elders could bank on old-fashioned quality

http://www.smh.com.au/business/elders-could-bank-on-oldfashioned-quality-20100819-12s08.html

macduffy
24-01-2011, 04:04 PM
A long time since the last post on ELD.

Interesting in that someone thinks it's a good "small company" prospect for 2011!

http://thebull.com.au/articles/a/17098-16-hot-small-cap-picks-for-2011,-and-theyre-not-resources.html

percy
24-01-2011, 04:27 PM
A long time since the last post on ELD.

Interesting in that someone thinks it's a good "small company" prospect for 2011!

http://thebull.com.au/articles/a/17098-16-hot-small-cap-picks-for-2011,-and-theyre-not-resources.html

I note in the same issue under 18 share tips; michael Heffernan from Austock has elders as a SELL.

modandm
25-01-2011, 11:55 AM
anyone own any ELDPA - I picked some up not long ago as a medium term capital appreciation play. Looking for ELD to sell of futuris and one the b/s is fully repaired look to either repurchase the hybrids at face value or start paying out on them (less likely as interest post step-up will be far higher than what they could borrow at today).

Could be in with a grin but it's a patient man's play I reckon. The hybrids are currently around $49 so if it takes 2 years and they double to face value I will be happy

macduffy
25-01-2011, 01:21 PM
either repurchase the hybrids at face value or start paying out on them (less likely as interest post step-up will be far higher than what they could borrow at today).

Yes, there will be a real incentive for them to redeem the hybrids if they are able to replace the borrowing at lower rates. Would need a friendly financier - and probably a return to profits first - of course.

Not holding.

winner69
23-05-2011, 01:27 PM
What a pack of idiots running this company

Yet another profit downgrade and the shares 'tumble' again

Maybe one day 'there will be money to be made here' as the thread title says

evilroyrule
23-05-2011, 01:45 PM
jb, you know where he went
???:(

winner69
23-05-2011, 02:10 PM

he was a real fan eh ,,, but didn't listen to balance

Prob lost all money on ELD and had to go back to work to make a living

But the Dr was too clever for that .... let us know what you up to mate

drillfix
23-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Yeah I remember the Doc, posted him many a chart regarding this stock? I think.

Hope he is ok.

Back to ELD, gee's folk, from the fall of July 2010 to 32c it made back gains up to 74c to fill a previous gap and since then has been in a slow step ladder type downtrend.

Chances are if a company are going to do something with promise or pull rabbits out of hats then surely we would have saw one by now. But no bunny running around that I can see.

I hope any holders of this previously bought low as a test of the previous recent low of 39.5c seems likely again (imo) and surpassing that then 32c.

A clear example of a down trending stock though, be it slower than most others but downward nonetheless.

Xerof
23-05-2011, 04:55 PM
The Doc is just lurking and not contributing - last visited this site a mere 8 minutes ago - you can catch all the activity in 'community - members list'

drillfix
23-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Prob lost all money on ELD and had to go back to work to make a living

Hi Winner,

I dont believe so, as I do remember the Doc saying that ELD was only a small part of his holdings, so there is no way that he has lost all his money.

At least I hope not, I would hate for anybody to lose all their money in any company as I have been there myself (to a near degree) with Uran (URA) whilst the company sold the Production in July routine and was cheered on by many at the time. Problem was as you know, its all fairy tales. And I can see the same thing repeating by reading some of the rantings on HC. Kate Hobbs selling Production dreams to Gullible Naive wanna shareholders whom know or do not believe that history repeats.

Back to the Doc, and losing all his money? Nahhh, not the doc, or not all of it surely or I hope at least.

Phaedrus
23-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Here are some guidelines on how to maximise your sharemarket losses :-

(1) Buy downtrending stocks.
(2) When they keep falling, buy more. Be confident.
(3) When they fall even further, see this as an opportunity. Claim it is what you want to happen. Buy more.
(4) Never, ever, even consider that you have made a mistake.
(5) Totally ignore prevailing market sentiment.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/ELD523.gif

"Averaging down into a losing trade is the only thing that will assuredly take you out of the investment business. This is what took LTCM out. This is what took Barings Brothers out; this is what took Sumitomo Copper out, and this is what takes most losing investors out. The only thing that can happen to you when you average down into a long position (or up into a short position) is that your net worth must decline." From "The Not-So-Simple” (But Really Utterly So) Rules of Trading" by John Mauldin. http://spahiu.wordpress.com/2006/05/27/the-not-so-simple/

percy
23-05-2011, 09:23 PM
What a pack of idiots running this company

Yet another profit downgrade and the shares 'tumble' again

Maybe one day 'there will be money to be made here' as the thread title says

HaHa!!! He He!!!
I have just learnt the truth.!!Yeah right.!!! you may say? But John Durie let the truth out of the bag in his article in today's www.theaustralian.com.au/business
"Jackman,a former KIWI navy captain". Now we know what happens when you put a KIWI in charge of an Aussie company.

RRR
23-05-2011, 10:14 PM
HaHa!!! He He!!!
I have just learnt the truth.!!Yeah right.!!! you may say? But John Durie let the truth out of the bag in his article in today's www.theaustralian.com
"Jackman,a former KIWI navy captain". Now we know what happens when you put a KIWI in charge of an Aussie company.

Percy, your link is a spam:(

Halebop
23-05-2011, 11:16 PM
This company has a long and unhappy history of subpar returns and diversification that doesn't pay - from the combination that created Elder Smith Goldsbrough Mort to the initially sexy but later disastrous Elders IXL before being acquired by Futuris - a company that proved to have a similar pedigree

Capital intensive, cyclical commodity businesses can temporarily earn spectacular returns but make for terrible business models and poor long term returns. Buffet suggests that even these sorts of businesses can cement a more profitable place in the world with superior, agile management. How do we reckon they are stacking up so far?

Disc: Would trade, would not likely hold for long.

percy
24-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Percy, your link is a spam:(

sorry,should have been www.theaustralian.com.au/business .how to find the article now I don't know but it was byJohn Durie.

evilroyrule
24-05-2011, 09:25 AM
sorry,should have been www.theaustralian.com.au/business .how to find the article now I don't know but it was byJohn Durie.

i was just wondering where he was. i enjoyed the good dr. now we are picking apart his failings?????? good heavens.

Phaedrus
24-05-2011, 09:39 AM
That's not an attack on Dr Who, Roy. He simply provided us with yet another object lesson on the folly of averaging down. The good Doctor broke all the rules and paid a very high price for doing so. We can all learn something from his mistakes.

evilroyrule
24-05-2011, 09:55 AM
yes well true that P, but i was hoping he would come back.

Xerof
24-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Jackman isn't the only Kiwi at Elders - the CFO and IT manager are from NZ, along with a good number at lower levels. The CFO is ex-BNZ, albeit he's australian.

Jackman has a good pedigree, and was bought in a couple of years or so ago to sort out the mess. Obviously, it's a tough nut to crack. Very similar to our favorite rurals PGGW and Allied - need I say more?

winner69
06-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Good article

http://www.smh.com.au/business/elders-old-enough-to-remember-better-times-too-proud-to-beg-20121005-274oo.html

ELDERS Ltd is a bit like the bloke drowning in the surf. He's waving his arms about yelling, ''Don't rescue me! Don't rescue me!''

Another six-footer breaks on his head. He goes under. He bobs up spewing water and gasping for breath. Gesticulating at the lifesavers who've paddled out to save him he splutters, ''I'm all right, I'm all right!''

The lifesavers are worried though. They think this bloke is definitely drowning. But the bloke, choking on seawater and clearly foundering, lashes out.

''If you come near me again with this rescue proposal, I'll sue. I'm fine. How dare you assault me with this unsolicited rescue approach! I'm going to the pre-e-e-e-ss.''

Advertisement

Just five years ago, Elders had a market value of $2 billion. Back in the day, in the heady 1980s, it even bid for BHP itself

Balance
06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Winner, did you manage to pick up some cheap ELD this morning? I pick up some more stock this morning.

Thanks Bricks. I think the market have factored into the forest writedown. I am waiting for the big one, so short term price movement is an opportunity for me. Watch AWB very carefully.

Cheap, cheaper, cheapest - could be a goner soon?

winner69
30-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Cheap, cheaper, cheapest - could be a goner soon?

Looks like they have given up, or the banks have told them they really are a basket case, but self liquidation seems the way they are going ..... sell the parts to the highest bidder and hope something left for the shareholders

I thought companies owned things toi generate profits year after year for shareholders!

winner69
30-10-2012, 09:28 AM
First few posts of this thread interesting ........ maybe PGW will need to go this way as well

modandm
31-10-2012, 10:44 AM
does anyone have any insight into what will happen to preference share ELDPA holders.

One of the reasons I bought them (at 45c) was that I felt break-up value would see ELDPA be fully paid out. I am still hopeful this may occur although the fact that ELDPA has not shot up on this news suggests I may be optimistic....

Its a small position and I am holding for now. Looking for some research/comment on them - please let me know if anyone finds anything.

winner69
20-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Elders shares sink to all time low

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Elders-shares-sink-to-all-time-low-pd20121120-2824V?OpenDocument&src=hp4

macduffy
20-11-2012, 02:31 PM
This is one bullet I dodged although there were times when I thought they were a good recovery prospect!

Couldn't believe the $12.50 SP quoted in the article - and yes, it's a "misprint" - 12.5c is the going rate. Or 13c, maybe!

Balance
18-06-2013, 03:35 PM
7.7 cents!!!!!!!!!!

Stranger_Danger
18-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah, pretty sad for this once proud company.

percy
18-06-2013, 08:05 PM
I can't stop thinking about Dr.Who.

winner69
18-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Yeah, pretty sad for this once proud company.

Wrightsons was once a proud company

Oh heck - what have I said

percy
18-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Wrightsons was once a proud company

Oh heck - what have I said

Going to take a very well researched interesting sunday morning rave before I forgive you!!!

Xerof
18-06-2013, 10:06 PM
In some ways there have been a lot of similarities - diversification into areas of no particular competitive advantage or decent synergy, just bolt-ons, only to get into various holes, laden with debt, and then extraction at real cost when it turns to custard

in the case of Wrightsons, they possibly extracted themselves in time, but at great cost to long term shareholders.

I agree W69, both once proud companies (sorry percy)

percy
19-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Must admit I agree with you.
Think you are right that they [possibly] have extracted themselves in time.I think Gould will have sorted out the rural servicing,and hope John Stewart can do the same with PGW's Australian seeds business.
Let's hope we see the return of pride.Again I think [hope] we will.

winner69
23-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Going to take a very well researched interesting sunday morning rave before I forgive you!!!

Percy no rave today

Need to go and spend another day cleaning up after the big storm ravaged the south coast. We ok but friends/neighbours need a bit of help cleaning up

Please forgive me

percy
23-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Percy no rave today

Need to go and spend another day cleaning up after the big storm ravaged the south coast. We ok but friends/neighbours need a bit of help cleaning up

Please forgive me

Doing your community work makes me proud of you.
All forgiven.

macduffy
05-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Over two years since there was any interest in ELD in this forum - but here's an interesting take on why there may be some life in that old dog.

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20150703/pdf/42zlssh3fb8jw0.pdf

And a couple of other ideas.