PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

AMR
26-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Has anyone upgraded yet? I may get a new netbook in the future and am wondering whether it would cope.

Still on XP at the moment.

RazorX
26-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi AMR

I haven't upgraded yet but I have a friend in the IT business who has, and he says its great. Way better than Vista and much less of a system hog. I think if you buy a new netbook it should handle it.

fungus pudding
26-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi AMR

I haven't upgraded yet but I have a friend in the IT business who has, and he says its great. Way better than Vista and much less of a system hog. I think if you buy a new netbook it should handle it.

Go here to upgrade advisor and it will tell tyou if your system is capable.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

My netbook is on xp and borderline fror upgrade. Had my first play with windows 7 last night on a new laptop friend had bought. It's going to take a bit of playing around to learn after years of xp, but most comments appear good. XP still damn good system though.

RazorX
26-10-2009, 10:39 AM
funguspudding: Agreed on XP. I still run it on my desktop. It's been going sweet for years and no problems. If Windows 7 is as good as they say it might replace XP as the best OS from Microsoft. Vista was of course a waste of time, money, and system resources.

TTrader
26-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Has anyone upgraded yet? I may get a new netbook in the future and am wondering whether it would cope.

The new Nokia NetBooks come out of the box with Windows 7. You could use them as a good reference point for a new NetBook.

fungus pudding
26-10-2009, 05:34 PM
The new Nokia NetBooks come out of the box with Windows 7. You could use them as a good reference point for a new NetBook.

Just had a good play with windows 7 today . Im a convert. Big thumbs up. Will keep xp on my netbook, which is great on the small machine - but will update my laptop very soon. It's xp but 8 years old. Still going perfectly and had intended just keeping it for another year or so, but after trying w7, I think I'll bring that forward.

wbosher
26-10-2009, 06:11 PM
You will need to bear in mind that you can't upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. You will probably need to do a fresh install, which isn't such a bad thing really.

fungus pudding
26-10-2009, 07:30 PM
You will need to bear in mind that you can't upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. You will probably need to do a fresh install, which isn't such a bad thing really.

Yes I know that. By update my old laptop I meant replace the whole damn thing. I wouldn't bother trying to update the os from xp.

stevo1
01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
From what i have managed to gather from geek sites Windows 7 seems very good BUT make sure that you have at LEAST the Home premium version.
This link here gives a pretty good summary and is worth a read .

http://www.retrevo.com/my/5875/article/10262175?cmpid=Email

One of the key points is you need at least Windows 7 Professional to run some existing XP programes

James.Anderson
12-04-2010, 03:53 PM

I had Windows XP Pro, Downgraded to Vista then 2 days later I upgraded to Windows XP, Two years later I upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate and its brilliant. Unlike Vista its clean and not full of crap......

So far I have only had 1 problem with it but apart from that its 3 times faster.... If you put it to sleep
> Open it up > Push the power button > It goes to the desktop in 3 seconds - That is good no waiting 1-2 minutes for it to start up.

I recommend everyone to upgrade its Like Windows XP just 10x BETTER.

Regards James Anderson.

fungus pudding
12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
I had Windows XP Pro, Downgraded to Vista then 2 days later I upgraded to Windows XP, Two years later I upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate and its brilliant. Unlike Vista its clean and not full of crap......

So far I have only had 1 problem with it but apart from that its 3 times faster.... If you put it to sleep
> Open it up > Push the power button > It goes to the desktop in 3 seconds - That is good no waiting 1-2 minutes for it to start up.

I recommend everyone to upgrade its Like Windows XP just 10x BETTER.

Regards James Anderson.

Yep - it's great, but I'm puzzled why you turn your computer off? Just turn the monitor off if you are running a big power guzzling screen. Computers like constant temperature rather than the off-on business. I have a laptop that I have used daily for ten years, turning it off only if I'm taking it with me somewhere. It's had one new keyboard, but otherwise still perfect.

Cannibal
12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I have an XP desktop linked to a Windows 7 laptop. Whilst I like both I am impressed with Windows 7 - it is fast and very slick. It takes a while to get used to some of the features thought - and I still can't find the Run thingy to let you ping a site - grr!

James.Anderson
12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I have an XP desktop linked to a Windows 7 laptop. Whilst I like both I am impressed with Windows 7 - it is fast and very slick. It takes a while to get used to some of the features thought - and I still can't find the Run thingy to let you ping a site - grr!

The run thingy to let you ping a site - Do you mean Command Prompt???

If you do click on Start (The windows picture) > then type in cmd and push enter!!

Let me know if that helps you!!!

Cheers James Anderson.

James.Anderson
12-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I dont turn it off it just goes to sleep when i shut the lid - Its a laptop.... Its so fast it dosnt matter if you turn it off!!

Regards James Anderson.