PDA

View Full Version : Negotiation skills courses

AMR
12-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi, can anyone recommend any courses which focus on property negotiations?

Reading books on it doesn't seem to be helping that much.

Steve
13-12-2009, 08:55 AM
I guess such a topic would be covered in the real estate agents course run thru the open polytech?

duncan macgregor
20-12-2009, 08:00 AM
I guess such a topic would be covered in the real estate agents course run thru the open polytech? no such luck I am afraid. The course done in class has a 100% pass rate which speaks volumes in its self. The course done from home is wide open to fraud by the simple fact that i might do it for you in your name.
In real estate you get taught by your principal to give indefinate answers.
example the area is more or less that size or the owner says this or that you never say anything that may or may not get you into trouble.
The good ones know how to close a sale the bad ones dont even ask them if they want to buy the bloody place.
The good ones do the contract on the bonnet of the car , the bad ones cant do a contract.
Fifty per cent is sold by ten percent, some agents spend most of their time in the office wasting time on computer systems, rather than getting in touch with buyers and sellers.
When selling list the property with every office in the area, that way you get on the web site of at least ten different companies with your property displayed in their window.
Select the agent with the highest profile in each office to list the property, and stipulate only open home signs to be displayed. Nothing worse than a property littered with signs from different agents.
If you intend being a sales person, learn closing the sale first of all. Learn how to ask yes questions where the client keeps saying yes up to the point where you ask them if they want to try their luck with a silly offer.
Once you get an offer on paper regardless of how ridicilous it might seem thats when you set up the competition between buyer and seller. The really good sales person plays it out with both sides thinking they are having a win.
Being a builder I sold most of my own in competition with agents who sold to me most of the land i bought. I used to do a MREINZ course every few years just to keep in touch with the latest trends which was in hindesight a complete waste of time. Macdunk

bambi
21-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Some agents really are useless, I went and had a look at a place a few weeks back, spent about an hour there and then went back again the next day for about another hour. This was on the weekend, then had a think about it over the next few days, never got a follow up call from the agent like I thought I would considering how long I had spent there and that I had shown some interest. Phoned up the agent on the Friday, five days after last going through and said I'd like to make a cash offer. Now it was a low offer but he wasn't even interested in writing it up, he just said that he didn't think the owner would take the offer. I was a bit dumb struck. I would have thought he would write it up and then the owner would counter and either we would or wouldn't come to an agreeable price. I've never been turned down when trying to make an offer on a place, he was basically saying I don't want a chance at the commission on this house.

That was 3 weeks ago, the place is still on the market and I haven't heard from the agent again. It's a pity as I quite like the house.

minimoke
22-12-2009, 11:42 AM
That was 3 weeks ago, the place is still on the market and I haven't heard from the agent again. It's a pity as I quite like the house.
Why not now go back in with an offer lower than your earlier one?

POSSUM THE CAT
22-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Bambi go to the principal of the realestate office and report the saleperson if does not produce the desired result. Phone the local branch of the Real Estate Institute.

Steve
22-12-2009, 05:21 PM

3 weeks isn't so bad. I'm still waiting for Martin Jenkins (at the time of Metro Realty in Dunedin) to return my phone call from 1998 where I expressed my interest in putting an offer on a house.

Sideshow Bob
22-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Good luck Steve!!

bambi
23-12-2009, 12:52 PM
If the place is still on the market after Xmas then I'll go back and try to make an offer. I think my offer is low enough that I don't need to go any lower. :-)