PDA

View Full Version : Best Sectors for 2010

Skol
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Anyone got any ideas for their favoured sectors that could do well in 2010?

My bet - Japanese Shares, up 16% last year but will do better this year. Out of recession, new government and increased machinery sales recently. Been in the doldrums for 20 years but still the world's second biggest economy.
If the thread attracts enough interest I will check who's picked the best sector at the end of the year.

drillfix
04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I never knew Japanese Shares was a ASX sector there Skol,

Should you not change the Title to which Economy is best for 2010...? LOL

Other than that, I would expect to see some gains in Energy this year, as its been a Lame mofo the past while

bermuda
04-01-2010, 01:54 PM

My bet - Japanese Shares, up 16% last year but will do better this year. Out of recession, new government and increased machinery sales recently. Been in the doldrums for 20 years but still the world's second biggest economy.
If the thread attracts enough interest I will check who's picked the best sector at the end of the year.

Coal Seam Gas

Watch for this Sector to explode into life when the first of the Gladstone FID's gets approved. The news out today from AOE and LNG is only an appetiser. The first FID is only a few months away. Still plenty of time to get in as there are plenty of doubters out there. Volte from WPL included.

shasta
04-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Sectors i like for 2010 :cool:

- Alternative Energy, especially those who will receive carbon credits, as more funds start pouring money into these type of investments.

Companies that may benefit: CLQ, JAT, EDE, VIR, CWE, NWF(NZX) + Forestry investments

- Rare Earths, (excl uranium) i expect the Chinese to continue buying into these.

Companies that may benefit: ALK, ARU, LYC, RDR, PGM, GBE

- Land for food production (+ Fertilizers etc)

Companies that may benefit: AWB, NUF, MAK, IPL, PGW(NZX), NZS(NZX)

- Water Services/Water Rights

Companies that may benefit: UGL, TSE, TSI, WDS

Some companies noted above could belong to more than 1 category, & are to the best of my knowledge!

Kees
04-01-2010, 03:35 PM
REITS; The likes of cnp,cer,vpg,aez,ilf these will double if not more ones % rates go
up and values improve.

Dr_Who
04-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Shasta, you are on to it mate. ;)

drillfix
04-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Shasta, you are on to it mate. ;)

Agreed, a well defined post with all the goods ie: FA, the actual stocks etc.

Well done Shasta, now I just need a few Mill that I can spread ;) :D

shasta
04-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Agreed, a well defined post with all the goods ie: FA, the actual stocks etc.

Well done Shasta, now I just need a few Mill that I can spread ;) :D

Cheers Drilly/Dr Who

Whilst i'm completely out of the market & will be for some time (due to an ongoing saga with ASB Sec :mad:), i intend to post more comprehensive FA on stocks this year, so i've started as i mean to go on.!

No use saying "X" sector & not knowing whose in line to benefit aye.

I'm still following alot of stocks across different sectors, as per usual ;)

Dr_Who
04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Keep an eye on the Rural sector stocks in Aussie. ;)

Skol
04-01-2010, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=drillfix;287749]I never knew Japanese Shares was a ASX sector there Skol[/QUOTE

I see what you mean but open to any particular sector, doesn't have to be ASX. I don't look at the NZX threads, don't own any kiwi shares.

drillfix
04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=drillfix;287749]I never knew Japanese Shares was a ASX sector there Skol[/QUOTE

I see what you mean but open to any particular sector, doesn't have to be ASX. I don't look at the NZX threads, don't own any kiwi shares.

You should have a look at Interactive Brokers (IB) and then trade whatever you want for cheap as chips.

As in, you can trade index's, bonds, commodities, NASDAQ and US stocks along with anything else on the planet that moves, or don't move. And if it doesn't move, then put lipstick on it and play Rock n Roll" then watch it move :rolleyes:

I think that will be my next home once I fair up my cash situation back into control.

Time for my afternoon/aftermarket nap, Panadine time~!

Junior80
04-01-2010, 11:05 PM
This may prove to be an interesting read. From SMH.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/punting-on-commodities-20091220-l7il.html

I like iron ore companies with price expected to increase by 30% this year.

The Big Ease
04-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Coal Seam Gas

Watch for this Sector to explode into life when the first of the Gladstone FID's gets approved. The news out today from AOE and LNG is only an appetiser. The first FID is only a few months away. Still plenty of time to get in as there are plenty of doubters out there. Volte from WPL included.

I look forward to it.

Funds management should see a kick up with the markets recovering.
Macqaurie Group - not really a sector, but they look to have come out of this very well.

shasta
22-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Always nice to revisit these threads, maybe we can put our collective thoughts into 2011 sectors/stocks?

Huang Chung
22-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Gold!

he, he...only kidding Skol :-)