PDA

View Full Version : Advise on selling warrants

bottomcoughs
06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone and Happy New Year. I’m unfamiliar with the stock exchange so I would appreciate some advice about selling warrants.

A couple of years ago, I invested in Marlin Global’s IPO and received some warrants to go with it. The warrants expire at the end of the next year but they are not worth much right now. Since the chances of me exercising the warrants before the expiry are very slim, I’m considering selling them so as to get something back.

My question is, how do I go about selling them? I had invested in mutual funds previously but I’ve never used a stock broker or financial adviser. I did spend a lot of time reading investment books so I was confident about doing it myself.

But the IPO was my first experience at purchasing stocks but that didn’t involve a middleman either, as I just sent a cheque to Computershare and that was it. The investment was meant to be long-term so I thought I’d only worry about it when I plan on selling them.

Can anyone advice me on how to sell the warrants in the future. Do I need to go through a stock broker? What are commissions like?

Thanks in advance.

shasta
06-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone and Happy New Year. I’m unfamiliar with the stock exchange so I would appreciate some advice about selling warrants.

A couple of years ago, I invested in Marlin Global’s IPO and received some warrants to go with it. The warrants expire at the end of the next year but they are not worth much right now. Since the chances of me exercising the warrants before the expiry are very slim, I’m considering selling them so as to get something back.

My question is, how do I go about selling them? I had invested in mutual funds previously but I’ve never used a stock broker or financial adviser. I did spend a lot of time reading investment books so I was confident about doing it myself.

But the IPO was my first experience at purchasing stocks but that didn’t involve a middleman either, as I just sent a cheque to Computershare and that was it. The investment was meant to be long-term so I thought I’d only worry about it when I plan on selling them.

Can anyone advice me on how to sell the warrants in the future. Do I need to go through a stock broker? What are commissions like?

Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to Direct Broking - they do one off share sales

https://www.directbroking.co.nz

Have a read, & we do have Alice Saville from Direct Broking here on Sharetrader if you have more questions

bottomcoughs
06-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks shasta!

Anything else I need to look out for? Obviously I can only do it once, which would work for the warrants but not the rest of the investment.

I'll have a read through but if there are other options, do let me know. Other tips are welcomed too.

What user name would Alice be under if I were to pm her for advice?

shasta
06-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks shasta!

Anything else I need to look out for? Obviously I can only do it once, which would work for the warrants but not the rest of the investment.

I'll have a read through but if there are other options, do let me know. Other tips are welcomed too.

What user name would Alice be under if I were to pm her for advice?

Here's the link to her

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/member.php?u=9132

It might pay for you to register with an online broker (such as Direct Broking) so your individual CHESS & FIN numbers are retained, for easy access to buy/sell stocks, options, warrants etc

The DIY online brokers are cheap & usually fairly reliable, yet you retain total control.

If you search the "newbie" thread you will find more threads with info on the merits of different brokers.