PDA

View Full Version : Research Combined - Which Co. Has The Most Going On in 2010?

scorp57
06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
All of us do alot of research daily,

So I thought we could share which Co's have some big things about to pop, that the rest of the market may not be aware of yet... Share with each other the "Crystal Ball" as they say... Feel free to put in "expected ETA's" too...

BOW - Certification and Gladstone Feed, as Bermuda said, would be a good example...

URA - (my old dog of a stock) has drill results from New Mexico with "expected high grades" expected in the next few weeks...

anyone else got anything? JBMurc? Shrewd? Drilly? Shasta? Bermuda?

shasta
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM

So I thought we could share which Co's have some big things about to pop, that the rest of the market may not be aware of yet... Share with each other the "Crystal Ball" as they say... Feel free to put in "expected ETA's" too...

BOW - Certification and Gladstone Feed, as Bermuda said, would be a good example...

URA - (my old dog of a stock) has drill results from New Mexico with "expected high grades" expected in the next few weeks...

Scorp

I'll start by explaining my 5 picks for the 2010 comp

I selected BSM, GIR, MAK, OEL, RDR

BSM:

Presentation
http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=BSM&E=ASX&N=468019

They are now looking to ramp up the Hellyer plant & increase production

Broker Research Note
http://www.bassmetals.com.au/aurora/assets/user_content/File/Research/GreenLeader%20Nov09%20Research%20Report_BSM%20Fina l.pdf

Small cap, cashed up, profitable & looking to expand production in 2010.

GIR:

Huang Chung has covered this extremely well on the GIR thread, basically it's a cashed up Iron Ore company with plenty of projects, & a huge drilling campaign to prove up more JORC resources.

In the past GIR has spun out projects into separate listings so has some legacy holdings on the ASX to keep shareholders happy.

Presentation
http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=GIR&E=ASX&N=472284

MAK:

MAK has a large Rock Phosphate project thats now in production, & will be a long life project.

I'm picking land cleared for food production + related fertilizer companies will do very well as the global food supply struggles to feed the planet.

Presentation
http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=MAK&E=ASX&N=466179

Plenty of cash, the price of rock phosphate is looking more positive

OEL:

After a terrible 2009, with the Galoc oil field spending far too long offline, i'm predicting a turn around for OEL.

Market Cap ~ $75m, debt free, & cash now flowing in.

Presentation
http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=OEL&E=ASX&N=473336

Galoc now looking to expand into phase 2, to boast production & life of field, & with OEL's share ~2000 bopd, they are expecting 0.4mmbo total production for 2010.

There is also the Edirne Gas project in Turkey that is expected to come online soon at 10-14mmscf/d, & provide additional revenue (@ relatively good gas prices between $US7-8.00) on expected production of 1.3 Bcf (0.23mmboe).

OEL has a host of deep water permits in "elephant country", & having high equity, it is hoped they will farm down to fund these in 2011+

Joker in there pack is SC50 that includes the Calauit oil field

RDR:

A diversified mining producer with a range of projects at various stages.

Main Projects: (Western Australia)

Mount Marion - Lithium (Very promising project)
Barrambie - Vanadium (World class project)
Comet Vale* - Gold & Nickel (Gold production 09, net <5k/oz)
Mt Finnerty - Iron Ore & Nickel (Exploration stage)
Bell Rock Range - Nickel & Copper (Exploration stage)

* After buying the Nimbus processing plant, production to be ramped up

Listed company KRM are selling out of the Comet Vale Gold JV
http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=KRM&E=ASX&N=464177

Presentation
http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=RDR&E=ASX&N=462897

drillfix
06-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Hi there Scorp, mate I dont know if I can be that much help to you or this thread as my style of investing and trading is changing rapidly, by the day/week/month.

I am holding PLV for the long shot with credit card money, and I am even scaling down on anything to do with URA to pay for the credit card debt to get PLV. My learning curve is coming up for completion, but from there I am always adding to it. Including the mistakes I seem to be making nearly on a daily basis if Im not careful and think things through.

Now, I dont want to go on too long about URA but it has left me totally scared both psychological and financial and I am trying to recoupe from it all (still). I know it sounds like Im still going on about it, but thats only because the experience even continues to affect my trading to this current day and once I am completely out, only then I will truly be free so I hope good news comes from them.

My time to actually study stocks and fundamentals is limited. Currently only see charts, patterns and studying Level II trading techniques, which eventually means, not as much ASX.(who knows when though).

I honestly could not say which company would have the most going on for it in 2010, but that would actually depend on which Sector will take the 2010 prize. I do know there will be many stocks out there that have some Excellent and Positive Fundamentals along with Matching uptrend and Great Technical Analysis to back it and drive the sharepice. Which ones exactly though I am not sure ATM.

Doing so much study recently has left me a bit Over Cooked in the head. I only have another 7 seminars or so to go on top of the approx 18 that I already have done.

There are a couple of small penny stocks that I previously read about and taken a fancy too, but they are not liquid enough for me so I need to lay off them.

If you want me to post them, I will edit this post and add them to the bottom here later.

Cheers~

Huang Chung
07-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Who are you doing these seminars through Drilly?

drillfix
07-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Who are you doing these seminars through Drilly?

Hi Huang,

They are DVD seminars,
(The other month or two ago, I went to a Jake Bernstein seminar up there in south Brisbane that the ATAA had. Was good.)

One of the DVD courses (seminars) was an OTA 7 day series which is about 32 DVDs. Let me tell you that taking notes about each dvd along the way with every little nook and crannie covered took some time.

Also, adding that some material in most of these other sets were already known or aware of the info, but when you hear it again from "another" trainers perspective it can add alot more to what you thought you once knew about something.

There were a few others that were pretty average or lame but there were many that were enlightening.

Once I am done, I will create my own blog of exactly what I have watched and how I felt about what I learned, and how the content was delivered.

As you know HC, you cant really stop learning, and Im at the point where its frustrating trying to implement or assemble all this new knowledge and apply it to the ASX. Its a bit tricky actually, because I cant seem to find anything to trade intra-day with TICK and TRIN as the so called Pro's do using Level II on Nasdaq.

Speaking of which, I know why now webIRESS platform is being used across every broker house in Australia. It provides some Level II function, but it still keeps the USER / TRADER LIMITED. I say this limited because there is No Scanner using it, there is No HOTKEYS available so if I want to BUY or SELL at the click of ONE button (select whichever key or combo ie: F11 BUY, F12 SELL, or F1 SHORT, F2 COVER), it means the average trader is slower, it means the average trader using this cr@p is more stupider to keep using these platforms. You cannot see which Australian Market Maker Type INSTO is pumping it, or dumping it. You can see exactly where you are in a trade cue but you cannot see who (the ID) of others. Half the time when you make trade intra day, or even weekly, be careful as you could easily be played or setup. Advantages of long term. Usually it can even be your own broker whom trys to shake you out because they fully know your position on which funds you use, when you need to cover, if you can cover and etc etc the list goes on and on. And Im sick of wearing a blind fold the way I have been for the past quite a few years.

Another problem I have is, is that nobody else I know over here Trades. What I feel I need is a Professional Trader who is close by who already knows all the ropes and is willing to help an upcoming trader find his Trading Wings, as my previous wings have already been clipped and allowed me to Hit the Ground HARD flat on my face as many here already probably know.

So, if you or anybody else knows anybody on the gold coast who can be of some assistance, please PM me.

Hope this answers your question HC :)

My apologies to you Scorp and others, for taking the thread off subject.

bermuda
07-01-2010, 01:23 AM

I suppose the one with the most serious grunt is STX. Reminds me a bit of Sapex...but STX has some better USA assets. STX could be big.

mattyroo
07-01-2010, 07:16 AM
I really like Perseus (PRU), up a good 20%+ already this year, and reaching all time highs. Should start production of Gold later this year and will likely be a takeover target.

To think I sold my shares at 80c after a quick rise from 40c...... Hopefully I learnt something there!

scorp57
07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
BDG - Gold miner with poor history, but now cash flow positive, increasing production and huge reserves. Market only just latching on...

Skol
07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
While spending your time doing research is a worthy pasttime, experience shows that you may as well throw darts or get your dog to pick shares, professionals are often thrashed by amateurs or by chance.

In the UK last year there was a programme run by a hedge manager using $1,000,000 of his own money. The money was given to a group of complete amateurs to trade for 8 weeks against the pro's.
The pro's lost 4% and the rookies lost 2%.

My pick after doing resarch anyway, SIP, check the chart.

trackers
07-01-2010, 10:47 AM
While spending your time doing research is a worthy pasttime, experience shows that you may as well throw darts or get your dog to pick shares, professionals are often thrashed by amateurs or by chance.

In the UK last year there was a programme run by a hedge manager using $1,000,000 of his own money. The money was given to a group of complete amateurs to trade for 8 weeks against the pro's.

I hear what you're saying, but can't agree with that Skol - I don't believe that the differences between the returns of pros and amateurs are related to research at all (in any significant way)...

drillfix
07-01-2010, 11:04 AM

Skol, I actually have that series (BBC) and I watched it on SBS (I think?) it was pretty amusing really.

But bare in mind that that the series was recorded around the period of the beginning of the GFC so to trade then was like taboo, I am surprised they lost more.

Part of the problem with the ASX is you can only short very few stocks.

Did you know that in the US near 70% of money made by traders is by shorting.

edit: ps: I thought also should have said, it was Monkeys throwing darts at the dartboard have just as much chance or can do better than the pro's ;)

Back to stocks.

Anybody following VMS (venture minerals), in TAS with IO, Tin and Tungsten.
Also RXL with high grade zinc but very Very slow with news and progress it seems.

upside_umop
07-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Your starting to sound like the very one's you despise - academics!

Pelm1
07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I am holding PLV for the long shot with credit card money, and I am even scaling down on anything to do with URA to pay for the credit card debt to get PLV.
Cheers~

I will pick PLV as well:

The location
Top class management
Currently in the "resource definition" stage

Located on an island, next to 2 islands that have been producing for years. Deep water shipping channel close to shore.

Quality, experienced management team.

Have proved up a resource that could become 37 mt at 66% Fe after beneficiation with very near to zero impurities. Still to come is the final resource total for the stage 1 drilling which I believe will rerate the company. That was only really from 5 holes.

I could bang on all day but have to go and chase a little white round ball around a paddock :D

51 cents atm

Edit: Check out the latest presentation on the website http://www.plutonresources.com/

Skol
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Your starting to sound like the very one's you despise - academics!

I don't have much respect for academics at all, in fact, I don't take their advice and pick all my own shares.

Academics didn't predict the current meltdown, in fact it was academics in most cases that precipitated it.

upside_umop
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't have much respect for academics at all, in fact, I don't take their advice and pick all my own shares.

Academics didn't predict the current meltdown, in fact it was academics in most cases that precipitated it.

Academics are the leading proponents of EMH - the efficient market hypothesis. Thats exactly what you are implying with your 'dart throwing,' that EMH holds..

I think you'll find you have more in common with them than you think!

But then, you ruin it all by saying you'll do your research anyway, even though you admit its useless?

Skol
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Academics are the leading proponents of EMH - the efficient market hypothesis.

Well the academics certainly got the EMH wrong recently. While visiting the Docklands Museum I watched all the Oxford & Cambridge grads march out of Lehmans at Canary Wharf after gearing up their assets 35 times and then losing their jobs.

Al that money spent on their educations and now they're janitors and taxi drivers.

JBmurc
07-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Well research wise evertime I look into CFE it make me want to buy more now it's my biggest holding ---

Why I think CFE will arc up this year(as long as the US-UK market don't crash which may well happen later this year)

#1-their float of lady annie copper- failed late last year because of major UK investor pulling out ,with copper near $3.50lb an CFE looking like taking alittle less the IPO should be all worked out soon many million's will flow into the coffers-

#2-African Minerals wins strategic Chinese partner for flagship Tonkolili iron ore project in Sierra Leone"
CFE now hold key infrastructure an land here which must be now on the shopping list of the majors Tony sage valued it round 400m awhile ago-

#3-gold price -CFE owns 100% of sappes greek high-grade gold mine 830oz -also on the to sell list could well be sold this year for a tidy sum

-so for these 3 assets CFE could well rack-up a gross sale north of 500mill an still have penalty assets to improve further forward sales

-the TGF-COV merge which CFE will hold 36% could well have a major billion dollor gold resource 2-5mill oz GOLD-

-Cash & Receivables-180mill+(nice to have)

-doz or so other asset that could well be worth 100's mills

now even if the market's crashes later this year CFE could well be johnny on the spot if they get the 3 above sales away an have 400-500mill+ in kitty they could well do another --copperco- pay peanuts get billion dollar assets

As I've said before I could really see CFE becoming a major player in the world resource sector an command a billion dollar market cap within a couple years aswell as paying large amounts of cap to SH in Divies

upside_umop
07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Well the academics certainly got the EMH wrong recently. While visiting the Docklands Museum I watched all the Oxford & Cambridge grads march out of Lehmans at Canary Wharf after gearing up their assets 35 times and then losing their jobs.

Al that money spent on their educations and now they're janitors and taxi drivers.

You must have got great chuckles out of that eh skol? Again, your avoiding the questions here..

Just to let everyone know here...skol believes in emh as posted by his comments on the last page, skol is basically an academic haha!

Yes, i dont think you'll find it was the year 1, 2 and 3 new grads calling the shots in those big organizations. It was more the people who had been there longer and got greedier. To say it was the new grads is absurd...

percy
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
kw
i enjoyed your post.
i have wtf ,but the other stocks look great.
iri which i have may also fit the bill.
i look forward to more of your posts.

shasta
07-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Well research wise evertime I look into CFE it make me want to buy more now it's my biggest holding ---

Why I think CFE will arc up this year(as long as the US-UK market don't crash which may well happen later this year)

#1-their float of lady annie copper- failed late last year because of major UK investor pulling out ,with copper near $3.50lb an CFE looking like taking alittle less the IPO should be all worked out soon many million's will flow into the coffers-

#2-African Minerals wins strategic Chinese partner for flagship Tonkolili iron ore project in Sierra Leone"
CFE now hold key infrastructure an land here which must be now on the shopping list of the majors Tony sage valued it round 400m awhile ago-

#3-gold price -CFE owns 100% of sappes greek high-grade gold mine 830oz -also on the to sell list could well be sold this year for a tidy sum

-so for these 3 assets CFE could well rack-up a gross sale north of 500mill an still have penalty assets to improve further forward sales

-the TGF-COV merge which CFE will hold 36% could well have a major billion dollor gold resource 2-5mill oz GOLD-

-Cash & Receivables-180mill+(nice to have)

-doz or so other asset that could well be worth 100's mills

now even if the market's crashes later this year CFE could well be johnny on the spot if they get the 3 above sales away an have 400-500mill+ in kitty they could well do another --copperco- pay peanuts get billion dollar assets

As I've said before I could really see CFE becoming a major player in the world resource sector an command a billion dollar market cap within a couple years aswell as paying large amounts of cap to SH in Divies

JBM

I slapped together a quick spreadsheet for CFE a while back to track its listed investments, & to show the effect of any asset sales.

I'll update it ;)

rev
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
JBM

I slapped together a quick spreadsheet for CFE a while back to track its listed investments, & to show the effect of any asset sales.

I'll update it ;)

The CFE website has a few valuations in PDF format, the Sum of Parts Valuation on page 2 of the Patersons reasearch notes (Aug 09) make the share price seem ridiculously low.

I've only just got into this company and will watch progress with interest.

Cheers.

Footsie
07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Good call KW

everyone is looking for the stock with massive upside.

dreams are free.

Skol
07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
You must have got great chuckles out of that eh skol? Again, your avoiding the questions here..

Just to let everyone know here...skol believes in emh as posted by his comments on the last page, skol is basically an academic haha!

Yes, i dont think you'll find it was the year 1, 2 and 3 new grads calling the shots in those big organizations. It was more the people who had been there longer and got greedier. To say it was the new grads is absurd...

Taxi drivers and janitors are more worthy and respected occupations than securities analysts. LOL

wns
07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
drillfix - you're flirting with disaster! Buying speccie stocks is enough of a gamble, but on your credit card? You'll get eaten alive.

KW - I agree.

drillfix
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
drillfix - you're flirting with disaster! Buying speccie stocks is enough of a gamble, but on your credit card? You'll get eaten alive.

KW - I agree.

C'mon guys, hold the bus here.

Now we cant all do the proper, nice and SAFE thing our whole life's now can we.

Im already in the sh#t WNS, I am not phased by it. Sure its a inconvenience but its something I am happy to do under what I feel is a great opportunity.

To me, you are calling PLV sh#t, I am saying, ATM over the next month or two, I need BIG gains, not a SAFE 5% with common performing stocks.

But that's just at the moment.

Now, I agree also with KW on some of his thoughts and picks
BUT

You are not completely seeing the full picture, not using 360 degree thinking, and you are still saying ONLY SAFE will work, ONLY SAFE will give you gains.

Well that partially true, but also full of Cr@p, because NOBODY here on this forum or country is the Authority on what will make HUGE gains.

Now why people do this is because the Sector will LIGHT UP and give better gains (eventually), it has to, it is the law of probability.

Question after that would be, do you then STAY in speccies and lose those gains, or does one take the money off the table???

I have mentioned it before my thoughts on Balance to any portfolio, but unfortunately, I have already done my doe, I am starting from scratch.
Balance= 1 third CASH, 1 third Property, 1 third Shares.

Now who out of each of you out there lend me 1 third of each...LOL :D

Anyways, thats the wonderful thing about Discussions, everyone has "their" way. Which one is right??? Well, it depends, and depends on alot of things, doesn't it?

corporateraider
07-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Drillfix
You asked the question about VMS. I have been in this since about October when I started buying at 19.5. They had just raised 10 mill to re-commence drilling with 5 rigs. The results are just starting to come and they look very promising. Already they have a confirmed JORC resource that will produce a discounted cash flow of 700 mill.

The price has moved on each piece of good news, but there should be much more to come. An increase to the resource should be due very soon.

I continue to accumulate and this is now my biggest holding.

I admire your ballsy call with your credit card. When I was in my 20s I went into a finance company and said I wanted to borrow some money to buy shares. They said "how much?" I said, "everything you will give me." I walked out with 42k and proceeded to invest in 3 speculative companies. Life is more exciting when you live on the edge!

No doubt you have read the posts for VMS on HC. I find them balanced and useful.

The company has two DSO prospects that are seldom talked of. I wonder if these will prove an easy win and the kick start for the Mt Lindsay development?

The MD seems to have the track record to take the company into production.

I shall be watching developments very closely.

drillfix
07-01-2010, 10:27 PM
KW, I do not dismiss anything you say. I do agree, I am not battling that.

I am kinda/trying playing both sides of the coin here at once as our circumstances are different.

How about I just give all my money to you and tell you and then you make my money (on credit card) into a 10 bagger, then I wont have to do courses and seminars myself. But then where is the self sufficiency in that?

I am always open to hearing peoples views about a potential 10 bagger, but I have also listened to people before. And (not you) but it was exactly that what got me into my problem because of it, if you see what I mean.

From memory, I really do like the AMM chart. :)

drillfix
07-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi CR,

Yes I previously asked if anyone was following VMS.

I had been in and out of it a couple of times. Traded it mainly even when it was 10c etc.

Don't really follow the posts on HC about VMS, but I do like the company. And another IF, if I had the money VMS would be apart of a long term hold spread across a few companies.

Now, if I manage to (aquire) funds from the Trading Gods then no doubt I will be back in :)

Skol
08-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I hold shares in CSR which I think has a bit going for it. Big company, diversified, beaten down, owns property and in the sugar and metals business.

Good chart, up a lot in the last few days, increasing volume, but a check on the internet reveals one analyst says this is lousy company with below average management etc., while another says great company, good future, strong sugar and aluminium prices etc.

Even the 'experts' which charge for their services can't agree.

drillfix
08-01-2010, 12:41 PM
However, for your amusement, my current spec stock is QXQ. I'm hoping it will be the next emitch.

No KW, stick with AMM, totally Excellent chart, its like a 45 degree angle nearly perfect.

QXQ, is difficult to remember, and to type the code in, and the chart looks like spaghetti thrown across your wall :p

upside_umop
08-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I hold shares in CSR which I think has a bit going for it. Big company, diversified, beaten down, owns property and in the sugar and metals business.

Good chart, up a lot in the last few days, increasing volume, but a check on the internet reveals one analyst says this is lousy company with below average management etc., while another says great company, good future, strong sugar and aluminium prices etc.

Thats one reason why throwing darts is actually not a good idea skol, its all about perception. But then again, you agree with the academics on that one dont you....'you cant beat the market!' LOL (that capital lol was for you)

One thing you'll find is that academics have researched and found significant effects:

Small firm effect - Small firms outperform larger firms as they are perceived to be somehow more risky.

Value effect - Firms with higher book-market ratios outperform firms with lower book to market, even if that means the lower book-market firms are growth firms.

Also, there is the momentum effect..but I'm sure you can understand charts for that one.

So in reflection, maybe you have a value play here skol, but certainly not a small firm effect going on.

It was quite nice to see steve flemings strategy of going for small caps in his stock selection for the asx comp.

Skol
08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
One of the things I've taken heed of the 'experts' is a shift towards bigger cap stocks this year for safety, because almost for sure this will be a volatile year and there's going to be some surprises so the big caps should fare better if the storm arrives.

percy
08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
kw
thank you for advice on iri
thank you also for amm which i brought today at 29c
qxq i will watch as i have some www.estaronline.co who have a strong client base.
keep up the excellent posts.

Dusty
09-01-2010, 01:32 AM
I am a big fan of Ben Graham and Warren Buffet - and like them I just try to outperform the market by a few points, but to do it consistently year after year. Usually I do better than that, but I dont go looking for 10 baggers. ALL was just a big no-brainer like AMM was, it just turned out much better than even I expected!

However, for your amusement, my current spec stock is QXQ. I'm hoping it will be the next emitch. But unlike the mining stocks, at least QXQ made a profit last year and was cashflow positive.

QXQ is a very amusing company KW, pre GFC sales revenue was up 193% and 196% from 05-07, during the recession they manage continue to grow sales revenue up 3.9%. Mobile markerting/advertising will be huge in the future so the 3Di division looks set to do well in the earnings front.
EPS of 4.1 in 30/09/09 report so where looking at a P/E of about 2.5.
Directors buying shares in Nov 09,
quick look at the chart shows break above 30 day MA, RSI and stochastic rise above 50 and rising OBV, looking for a bollinger band and breakout above 11c as QXQ seems to be in a trading range at the moment, volume will be key, will need to take a better look when I get home as QXQ could be a great long term growth stock, if earnings continue to rise SP will follow.

strong clients on the books but will need to take a better look at his one when I get back

Footsie
11-01-2010, 02:15 PM
There are better companies out there than QXQ. it might be cheap, but its cheap for a reason.

5.00 to 10c does not inspire confidence.

the best companies are the ones with great track records.

i've made mroe money buying great companies at a good price that I have buying OK companies at great prices.

Skol
12-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Looks like my 'research' paid off. CSR has moved up and it's reported today a chinese company wants to acquire CSR's sugar and renewable energy assets.
Up 11.5c on the open.

Hey UU, I'd probably qualify for a job as a securities analyst. LOL

I will require at least $1,000,000p.a. (USD) plus bonus.