PDA

View Full Version : aussie bank account

voltage
09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
can i set up an australian bank account as a nz resident. If so does anyone know of one that has no fees. This is for the odd irregular payment.

fungus pudding
09-01-2010, 04:10 PM
can i set up an australian bank account as a nz resident. If so does anyone know of one that has no fees. This is for the odd irregular payment.

I set up an Australian Westpac account online which was simple to do, although they sent papers cover for me to sign and return before I could make withdrawals. The fees can be very low depending on the type of account you choose. Mine is called a Bonus Saver account and allows only one withdrawal per month without incurring large fees. I have an eftpos card for drawing money out at this end which is the cheapest way of doing it.

Steve
09-01-2010, 04:28 PM
You used to be able to set up a CBA account thru ASB or a NAB account thru BNZ. I assume that you can still do this...

OldRider
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I have a Bank of New Zealand Australia account, have had for 25-30 years?

Can be operated via NAB website, no fees, requires minimum balance but not large $1000.00? maybe $500.00 or thereabouts, pays monthly interest 0.1%!! offers paypal which useful for new issues, we have a cheque book and an Eft-pos card for when we are in Australia. Few branches, but can use NAB ATM's, any problem has been promptly
attended to after E-mail communication.

To shift cash to ASB Sec's $AU account I just write a cheque, bit of a nuisance to send the other way, in the past I have obtained a draft, don't know if in future I may be able to use ASB Sec's paypal service?

All dividends directly deposited, very easy. Paper statement is received monthly, but really not necessary with internet

voltage
09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
thanks for the comments will look further, advice appreciated

Snapper
09-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I use a Macquarie CMT, pays a bit of interest with no fees, has a chequebook, APs, etc. No good to get money out of if you're in Australia but good for the odd transaction.