PDA

View Full Version : India

buxlo12
13-03-2010, 01:16 PM
I am wanting to invest in India.
Are there any ETF's or mutual funds that that invest solely in india?
Are there any other ETF's or mutual funds from Aus or the US that invest in india if their aren't any in NZ.

Has anybody has some experience in investing in India? How did they go? What did the invest in? How did they do it?:cool:

RRR
14-03-2010, 12:59 PM
India ETFs - Wisdomtree india earning fund (listed in NYSE-i think), ishares S&P India Nifty 50 index fund(INDY-Nasdaq)

INE-ASX listed company also invests in India-not sure about their track record(I would avoid this)- but an option for you- they are trading at a large discount to NTA but there is a huge number of options(INEO) which expires in august 2010.

I dont think you can buy shares directly from indian stock exchanges.

I hold Indian passport and hence it is very easy for me to invest in India directly. I hold a trading account with a bank in India and have been buying shares since 2009. Indian market is very volatile(opportunity). But, most companies have a very strong balance sheet and manageable debt. Most companies have a dividend pay out ratio of about 20-35% and hence they have substantial cash reserves accumulated over the years. Government of India has started divesting its interest in a lot of state owned companies(at a premium!! and retail investors have been avoiding the IPO's/FPOs recently), but this is an opportunity for long term investors. One can say that Indian market is slightly expensive right now but if India keeps growing at 6-9%/annum the high PE ratio is justified(current PE ratio of Indian market is about 18-20). Corporate governance is a bit weak compared to western counterparts-eg Sathyam fiasco(Enron of india).

Useful website - moneycontrol.com

I hold a mixture of mutual funds and shares(about $10,000) and my performance have been below average(thanks to GFC - i took a 60%hit). My portfolio is now 10% up and aiming to invest regularly

Good luck

RRR
15-06-2010, 08:29 PM
China apparently slowing due to various concerns(not sure whether it is just a noise or genuine). India did well compared to others during this greek concern phase. India growth story is still very much intact and govt targets 10+% growth in 2011/12!! Not sure it is achievable but not impossible by any means. Indian govt is slowly unblocking the road to success for companies and investors. Going concern is poor infrastructure but billions are being invested to address that. 25% public share holding made mandatory recently and those with more than 75% promoter stake will have to dilute-excellent news for retail investor.
Hot sectors-Auto/two wheelers, pharmas, Banks, Non banking finance companies(unlike NZ finance companies), agriculture, IT
Beaten down sectors-Telecom(too much competition), Infrastructure(investment phase)
FYI

RRR
08-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Most experts will agree that India is the most expensive market currently-PE of 20-22!! US is trading half that PE and China is also trading at much less PE. Foreign money(printed paper) is causing the bubble and everyone is waiting for a correction but the market just goes higher!! Although the GDP growth rate is good, does it deserve such a premium!! I am uneasy investing at this level of PE ratio and waiting for a correction.

Valuegrowth
13-08-2013, 07:09 PM
http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/0...97B0G420130813 (http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/08/13/india-economy-highlights-rupee-idINDEE97B0G420130813)

India unveils new steps to prop up troubled rupee

Valuegrowth
17-08-2013, 10:10 PM
http://www.financialexpress.com/news/gold-price-surges-most-in-2-years-up-rs-1310-as-indian-rupee-stocks-tumble/1156154

Gold price surges most in 2 years, up Rs 1,310 as Indian rupee, stocks tumble