PDA

View Full Version : AU Mining Stocks

johndeyell
18-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey there! Currently a shareholder in PRC on the NZX and looking for something new and exciting on the ASX in the area of mining...but I don't know the who the stars are for this industry on the ASX so just wondering if anyone could recommend a good stock. Something for short-term gain (i.e. 1-1.5 years). Good opportunity for me to familiarise myself with this industry on the ASX.

Cheers in advance :)

JBmurc
18-03-2010, 09:26 PM
mate there's posts full of imfo on many different mining stock all though the ASX thread do the study reap the rewards

-If I had to pick one safer short term play -CFE would be hard to go past 15% divie on it's way soon

johndeyell
18-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I know there's plenty of stocks in the threads but that's the problem, I don't know where to start! New territory!

airedale
18-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Do lots of reading over the next few weeks. There is plenty of info on these pages. Get a charting package. Run the charts and look for any in an uptrend.
Have a look at Catalpa Resources. They are on track to start production in W.A. in May. They just announced a capital raising and despite that the SP went up.
Set up a watchlist on www.stocknessmonster.com (http://www.stocknessmonster.com) and you will get the company news there.....Cheers

shasta
18-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I know there's plenty of stocks in the threads but that's the problem, I don't know where to start! New territory!

How about you focus on a mineral/metal thats going upwards (ie Nickel, Gold, Silver at the moment) that you like the looks of, then we can post some options for you to look at.

If you want a diversified company, the big ones BHP & RIO offer exposure to the bulk commodities + base & precious metals.

If you dont mind a listed investment company, have a look at my old GMI thread, they invest in large global resource companies

airedale
19-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Do lots of reading over the next few weeks. There is plenty of info on these pages. Get a charting package. Run the charts and look for any in an uptrend.
Have a look at Catalpa Resources. They are on track to start production in W.A. in May. They just announced a capital raising and despite that the SP went up.
Set up a watchlist on www.stocknessmonster.com (http://www.stocknessmonster.com) and you will get the company news there.....Cheers

When I wrote that last night, I didn't even think that CAH would go up 13.5 cents or 9% today.

Dr_Who
20-03-2010, 11:31 AM
John, whats your risk profile mate?

tobo
21-03-2010, 01:52 PM
John, you say "new and exciting on the ASX in the area of mining"
Presume you just want gold
But, as the good Dr says, how exciting do you want it?

Shasta suggests a metal that is going up.
If you go gold, the growth must come from the individual company's development path, (or maybe you believe gold is going up...which is in debate in some people's opinion).

There is a lot (too much:p) to read on the Hotcopper gold thread, but I did start there and ended up with a list longer than my arm. Then I find Sharetrader opinions very helpful.
I currently hold a couple of goldies : I would only recommend MCO :D for now.
NAV might be coming good. (More exciting, anyway)

shasta
22-03-2010, 03:50 PM

John

As i mentioned Gold, Silver & Nickel earlier, here are some companies you might want to look at further

Gold: GDO, TRY
Silver: CXC, ARD (spec)
Nickel: PAN, MCR (i did a spreadsheet comparison of all the Ni producers, these came out the cheapest IMO)

brettdale
22-03-2010, 04:47 PM
RED may be a good penny dreadful for you. Currently 12.5 cents, and is expecting drilling results soon.

Im a holder, so perhaps Im bias.

It seems to have half a cent to a cent movement most days, both ways.