PDA

View Full Version : Leaky homes-effect of.

troyvdh
24-03-2010, 11:08 AM
If there is another thread about this my apologies.

Ive been following this for ages.Since it made headlines in Canada.Here in ChCH there are 1000's of these monolithic cladded polly castles.There are on some streets and roads rows of them.The Press has twice now in the last year published double page feature stories.
These articles fair take ones breath away.Denial,shame,despair,emotional and financial ruin,suicide...its all there.
In even the more privileged areas there heaps of them.
In more recent times several houses in my area (St Albans) scaffolding has appeared and repairs undertaken.I believe in one instance a 3 BDM apartment -repairs were in the $200k zone.

A few points
-as reported repairs in some instances (Auckland) have been undertaken at least 3 times ????
-as stated above one (around the corner from my place) was "repaired"...it still looks the same...who would buy a "repaired" leaky home ?
-numbers quoted of affected houses is 47000 ?...could be more-probably
-dollars quoted $11B-$23B...not small consequences
-What I really really find interesting I know of some seriously (supposedly) savvy ,shrewd and monied folk who own these things !!!!!.One is a successful retired real estate agent !
-some agents selling these things have aleady begun discounting the price of these houses.In some cases they openly state there will be issues...hence the discount.
-And lastly...I not yet heard or read the possibly effect of say 40,50,60000 homes /units being ultimately demolished and that effect on the price of the remainder of existng units and new properties.

Snoopy
26-03-2010, 11:38 AM
If there is another thread about this my apologies.

You could use a search engine to check, but as an occasional follower of this forum I haven't seen one.
So I think you are in the clear :-)

Ive been following this for ages. Since it made headlines in Canada. Here in ChCH there are 1000's of these monolithic cladded polly castles.There are on some streets and roads rows of them.The Press has twice now in the last year published double page feature stories.
These articles fair take ones breath away.Denial,shame,despair,emotional and financial ruin,suicide...its all there.
In even the more privileged areas there heaps of them.
In more recent times several houses in my area (St Albans) scaffolding has appeared and repairs undertaken.I believe in one instance a 3 BDM apartment -repairs were in the $200k zone.

Last year a relative of mine, partially rebuilt a monolithic cladding house. This was not a result of it being a leaky home, but as result of 40 years of wear and tear in an exposed loation that had cause a timber finished front, built in the 1960s, to need replacement.

The rest of the house, built in the early 1950s had a monolithic cladding finish (so the new bit now matches) but this original construction was before the days of any wall insulation. The rear of the house had stood the 60 year test of time.

Being 'post leaky home' the building restrictions on what was to be done were severe with council inspectors involved and a strict code was followed, putting air spaces in the walls at the appropriate places. This is not a leaky home, even if it now looks like it might be one if you judge by the outside finish only.

I don't think you can imply that just becasue a house is monolithically clad with polystyrene insulation that therfore it is automatically leaky.

A few points
-as reported repairs in some instances (Auckland) have been undertaken at least 3 times ????
-as stated above one (around the corner from my place) was "repaired"...it still looks the same...who would buy a "repaired" leaky home ?
-numbers quoted of affected houses is 47000 ?...could be more-probably
-dollars quoted $11B-$23B...not small consequences

I guess there are 'repairs' and 'repairs'. The house I was talking about above was repaired to the extent of stripping of the outer and inner walls right down to the bare timber frame. Effectively the front of the house is now a new building. If a house has been repaired 3 times, the earlier repairs do not count as repairs in my view.

-What I really really find interesting I know of some seriously (supposedly) savvy ,shrewd and monied folk who own these things !!!!!.One is a successful retired real estate agent !

Just because you can sell a house doesn't mean you know how to build one.

-some agents selling these things have aleady begun discounting the price of these houses.In some cases they openly state there will be issues...hence the discount.

If the purchasers know they are buying a leaky house and go into the deal with their eyes open I don't see the problem.

-And lastly...I not yet heard or read the possibly effect of say 40,50,60000 homes /units being ultimately demolished and that effect on the price of the remainder of existng units and new properties.

Perhaps that will be the catalyst for the long awaited property market correction?

SNOOPY

discl: own my own monolithically clad house, with eaves, originally built in 1991

minimoke
26-03-2010, 03:01 PM
You could use a search engine to check, but as an occasional follower of this forum I haven't seen one.
So I think you are in the clear :-)

At teh top / right of the Shretrader window there is a rectangular white box - you can use that for searching. Alternatively use the "Advanced Search" just below it.