PDA

View Full Version : ASX - Long Term Favourites

Lizard
16-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I need some more ASX stocks for the "Long Term" - the kind of shares I don't have to think about too often and am hoping some kind STer's might have some suggestions. Sort of things I'm looking for here are stocks in the $100m+ market cap. Probably high ROE/ROIC type things with a case for future growth in potential market. Plus, most importantly, a company that is well-managed and where management keep shareholders informed in a no-nonsense fashion. Prefer something that hasn't yet made it to the ASX200, but which has the potential to get there over the next few years.

(Other option apart from high ROE/ROIC would be severely beaten up cyclical with recovery path laid out AND reliable management).

Prefer to hear about stocks you actually hold and have followed for at least a year.

Footsie
16-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Plenty out there Liz.
CUS looks allright
TRS

Dr_Who
16-04-2010, 02:07 PM
How long is long term?

macduffy
16-04-2010, 02:15 PM
My long term favourite for trouble-free investment - now that's tempting fate! - would have to be WOW.

Been following it ever since it listed at some miserable price many moons ago - and one day might actually buy some!

ROE of 26% in FY09, one of the best managements around, market leader in its business.

Huang Chung
16-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I'll give you three Lizard:

Monadelphous
Monadelphous
Monadelphous

RRR
17-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I need some more ASX stocks for the "Long Term" - the kind of shares I don't have to think about too often and am hoping some kind STer's might have some suggestions. Sort of things I'm looking for here are stocks in the $100m+ market cap. Probably high ROE/ROIC type things with a case for future growth in potential market. Plus, most importantly, a company that is well-managed and where management keep shareholders informed in a no-nonsense fashion. Prefer something that hasn't yet made it to the ASX200, but which has the potential to get there over the next few years.

(Other option apart from high ROE/ROIC would be severely beaten up cyclical with recovery path laid out AND reliable management).

Prefer to hear about stocks you actually hold and have followed for at least a year.

Hi Lizard

QBE- Good management/serial acquirer(with good track record)/geographically well diversified/good dividend yield(increasing every year).

I hold

Cheers

ratkin
17-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Ramsay healthcare deserve a good look ,potential for growth all over europe as the old national health systems gradually privatise parts of their operations

Lizard
18-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the ideas. QBE has done really well over the years! Maybe Tony Gibbs should have a look at that as a comparison when he's touting GPG's performance - perhaps they should have just stuck to holding their insurance businesses...

macduffy
18-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the ideas. QBE has done really well over the years! Maybe Tony Gibbs should have a look at that as a comparison when he's touting GPG's performance - perhaps they should have just stuck to holding their insurance businesses...

Yes, an interesting thought!

Except that it's the exceptionally good management that's made the difference with QBE. Somehow, I can't see GPG being able to match that!

voltage
18-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Huang Chung, i looked at your recommended stock performance and the dividend growth has been amazing, is Monadelphous the best in its field?

Huang Chung
18-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Monadelphous is highly regarded in the engineering field, and has tremendous management. If there is any negative about taking a stake in MND, it's that the stock is rarely cheap to buy...but Lizard is looking for a stock for the long term, so paying up now shouldn't be a big deal if the plan is to buy and hold for a number of years.

Penfold
18-04-2010, 07:09 PM
QBE is a cornerstone of my portfolio... seems pretty fairly valued at the moment too. Then there would be infrastructure or banking type stocks too I guess. And then BHP to round it all off.

soulman
19-04-2010, 08:15 PM
MND has a 4 for 1 split in 2005 so the current share price is really $60 odd dollars. I remember MND was between $1 and $2 in early 2000 so a great return in anyone's language. Net profits has increased from $5 mil in 2000 to $75 mil last year. One of the top dog.

JBmurc
19-04-2010, 09:21 PM
well I've said it all before--
CFE is a great long term hold why-downside risk protected by cash&cash receivables not much less than entire market cap -many major Iron ore assets worth many 100mills ,Sappes high grade Gold discovery,35% of Pinnacle group assets(more IRON ore),25% Lady loretta pb,zn,ag,,100% Australis Phosphate
some major holdings other ASX jnrs with huge potential-CVX,NIP,DMM,FEL,GFE,MHL,IPO,OKU-aim-BAO

-As they have just sold one of their copper assets CFE will be paying a 8-10cps divi(S/P-48c) ex date next month likely..

this doesn't include another 00's mill worth of other assets I've forgot

Crypto Crude
19-04-2010, 09:53 PM
JBmurc
this doesn't include another 00's mill worth

you da bomb JBmurc,
but zero million aint that much... lol...
:cool:
.^sc

JBmurc
19-04-2010, 10:10 PM
you da bomb JBmurc,
but zero million aint that much... lol...
:cool:
.^sc

10-90mill I mean

Snow Leopard
20-04-2010, 12:53 PM
There's always WTP Lizard

shasta
20-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Lizard

Have a look into KFM DIVERSIFIED INFRASTRUCTURE AND LOGISTICS FUND (KIL)

The Fund will invest in a portfolio of listed and unlisted infrastructure, utilities and logistics investments in Australia and overseas.

Fairly conservative, & appears well run, one for the long term

Here's a presentation from Nov 2009

http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=KIL&E=ASX&N=571894

Lizard
20-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the ideas. WTP looks fairly cheap - you are probably right PT, but I am still not comfortable with construction business as a long term buy and hold in current market. Maybe I will put it on the trading list till I get a feel for it. Though I like MND - despite being relatively expensive. Actually, MND is one of the earliest shares I looked at on the ASX and liked back then but, sadly, never bought...

Lizard
21-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Yes, CPU belongs on the list. What do you think of MLB? Have they got what it takes?

wns
22-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Hard to go past WOW. Their track record speaks for itself. They continue to deliver on growing profits faster than revenues.

OldRider
23-04-2010, 08:46 AM
wns
WOW is a good choice, another dividend deposit from them will be made today, and as I look back over more than 10 years of owing the stock
the yearly dividend received has never fallen. This year div per share will be round five times greater than in year 2000.
from year 2000 div in cps 23 27 33 39 45 51 59 74 92 1.04 projection for this year 1.15

I sometimes wonder where future growth lies for them but they continue to perform

whatsup
23-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Hard to go past WOW. Their track record speaks for itself. They continue to deliver on growing profits faster than revenues.

WES would have to be added, in the last yeat while WOW has stayed still while WES has gone from ( on a rerating ) from $20 to its present $31-32, WES has more going for it re Coles turn around but WOW is purely food and focused on that as such, they are both very very good shares and Id say a mix of both a good investment.

lewinsky
29-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Liz,

I would appreciate running your expert eye over EAL.
This seems to me to be a tad undervalued at the moment.
If you buy now you get the bonus of a dividend of 1.5 cents per share payable on the 31 May.
The 3rd quarter result was NPAT of $3.55mill. The half year result was $2.09 mill.
So crudely we may expect a $5.0 mill profit for the full year.
This would represent a pe of just over 6 and assuming a further 1.5 cents final dividend a yield of just over 12%.
They appear to have a reasonable and growing order book.
I purchased some yesterday.
As always I appreciate your analysis and thoughts.
The Olive and Ouzo overhang is a concern to the markets at the moment.

Cheers

LEW

percy
29-04-2010, 08:52 PM
KW. ASZ looks to be growing at over 20% pa.PE not that high with that sort of growth.ROIC is also very high.
CDA does not look to be in the same class.Earnings growth not so steady but just had a great year.
KW you have done it again, 2 interesting stocks.

Joshuatree
21-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Monadelphous is highly regarded in the engineering field, and has tremendous management. If there is any negative about taking a stake in MND, it's that the stock is rarely cheap to buy...but Lizard is looking for a stock for the long term, so paying up now shouldn't be a big deal if the plan is to buy and hold for a number of years.

Up a buck today. A best in breed stock imo.
2017 AGM Presentation (https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/3852365/)

showstring
22-11-2017, 09:20 AM
re: MND
according to my calculations, that's a 22% gain in 7.5 years of holding

and it's only gone up past the buy price of 16 April 2010 in the last month (since August 2017)

fairly terrible...
just goes to show making money in the stock market is all about buying stocks that are cheap and not about "good companies"

reference: howard marks (buying stocks that are cheap), and nifty fifty stocks in the 70s and 80s (how to lose 95% of your money by buying the "best companies at any price")

Joshuatree
22-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your critique. Point taken about "the long term favourite" bit.
We paid $9.26 in 2016ish so have doubled our money +. $19.05 atm
Its very cyclic and M/S , Infra,etc is entering a good cycle atpit
I think its one of the best bigger stocks on the ASX in that sector.

showstring
22-11-2017, 12:35 PM
if you got in on the $6-10 cyclical price dip, then in hindsight you've done very well indeed :)

silu
23-11-2017, 11:26 AM
IAG (Insurance Australia) - had a nice re-rate of late and a great DRP.

airedale
24-11-2017, 03:04 PM
If you have a positive view on the price of gold coupled with a falling $OZ exchange rate then Evolution Mining EVN has a good long term chart going back three years.

Joshuatree
24-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Yep and NST very similar. Both longer term holds for me.

Snow Leopard
24-11-2017, 04:50 PM
I would stick this on the Austal thread if I could find it but I can't.

13.1% of exuberance today after being selected to build the Australian Navy [pdf link (https://stocknessmonster.com/announcements/asb.asx-6A862117/)].

They seem to be winning a good bit of business these days.

Been an OK hold on a sub 2-year time frame.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Joshuatree
24-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Ticker Tigger is ASB

Snow Leopard
24-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Ticker Tigger is ASB

This may come as a surprise to you but:
not only did I already know that the 'tigger' for Austal is ASB;
and I tried searching using 'ASB' and got more threads about ASB Securities than one can comfortably imagine but no shipbuilders.

Meanwhile PNC Pioneer Credit doing well -- except that it's thread is missing also :scared:.

I am of the conclusion that some of our threads have been stolen :ohmy:.

Joshuatree
25-11-2017, 04:25 PM
This may come as a surprise to you but:
not only did I already know that the 'tigger' for Austal is ASB;

Meanwhile PNC Pioneer Credit doing well -- except that it's thread is missing also :scared:.

I am of the conclusion that some of our threads have been stolen :ohmy:.

It was subtle hint to post the ticker on any stock one talks about;)

I own PNC also but its only been listed since 2015

BRG Breville is great longterm fave i also own (indirectly).