PDA

View Full Version : Long weekend

whatsup
23-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Is the Aussie market closed this Monday, on CNBC they are referring the upcoming weekend as a long weekend!!

drillfix
23-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Is the Aussie market closed this Monday, on CNBC they are referring the upcoming weekend as a long weekend!!

Yes wu, its a holiday / no trading day or settlement day.

http://www.asx.com.au/about/operational/trading_calendar/asx/2010.htm

whatsup
23-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks Dr..., will be a very sloooooow day here in Kiwiland!!!

drillfix
23-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Well probably here too I would say, so think I will have a half day also, and maybe come back to check out the close.

Good luck today mate :)

CJ
23-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Is the Aussie market closed this Monday, on CNBC they are referring the upcoming weekend as a long weekend!!Yep,, there anzac day carries over.

NOte: next year Anzac day falls on Easter Monday so we miss out again, but the Aussies will get a real long easter.

trackers
23-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Yep,, there anzac day carries over.

NOte: next year Anzac day falls on Easter Monday so we miss out again, but the Aussies will get a real long easter.

Ahh that sucks, a holiday should be a holiday regardless....

I exited a major position today with the intent on buying it back on tuesday, the markets making me nervous at the moment and I'm not sure what fri/mon will bring for oil, commodities and gold in the overseas markets... we will see

tobo
24-04-2010, 10:39 AM
One benefit is Ausi will open after the weekend with US already open to set the mood, so you can make some decisions before the open.

drillfix
24-04-2010, 10:04 PM
One benefit is Ausi will open after the weekend with US already open to set the mood, so you can make some decisions before the open.

Correct you are tobo, we get to take the lead from the lead so to speak.

And hey folks, dont forget its then another Holiday the follow week Monday as well, so that will give you heaps of leads to choose what kind of position you want to be in :P

whatsup
26-04-2010, 06:03 PM

Drill, Arnt you chomping at the bit what with the DOW up on Fri ( yet to open tonight but looking good ) and you closed today , tomorrow could be a bonza !!!

drillfix
26-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Drill, Arnt you chomping at the bit what with the DOW up on Fri ( yet to open tonight but looking good ) and you closed today , tomorrow could be a bonza !!!

WS, I am slightly confused? I think what I meant previously was that as you know, ASX takes its lead from a Friday US, which leaves Monday to react. As it is Monday now, we get to see what happens first.

Gee, not sure that sounded right, now even I am confused :P

whatsup
26-04-2010, 10:37 PM
WS, I am slightly confused? I think what I meant previously was that as you know, ASX takes its lead from a Friday US, which leaves Monday to react. As it is Monday now, we get to see what happens first.

Gee, not sure that sounded right, now even I am confused :P

Too much of that ANZAC stuff !! Bundy rum may bee?

STRAT
26-04-2010, 11:53 PM
lol fellas
Shouldnt it be as simple as US markets Friday ( +0.63% ) + Monday ( dunno yet ) = Aussie reaction Tuesday?

whatsup
27-04-2010, 10:07 AM
lol fellas
Shouldnt it be as simple as US markets Friday ( +0.63% ) + Monday ( dunno yet ) = Aussie reaction Tuesday?

What now Dow up Fri ASX closed Mon= no catch up!
DOW down last night(Mon) slightly so ASX slightly down today, so what happened to the Mondays up day , big miss out IMHO !!
See if that makes sense Drill !

drillfix
27-04-2010, 10:30 AM
lol fellas

Now thats pretty straight forward there Strat, I like that.

What now Dow up Fri ASX closed Mon= no catch up!
DOW down last night(Mon) slightly so ASX slightly down today, so what happened to the Mondays up day , big miss out IMHO !!
See if that makes sense Drill !

wu, nope, what you say to me still done make sense as the Dow is + 69.99 (Up) and you are saying the dow is down.

Guess I will just focus on the day and let the market show me what its going to do. Looks like a flattish day as the SPI is -1

Cheers.

whatsup
27-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Surprise surprise < Drill ASX market is UP who would have picked this?

soulman
27-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Common sense said that the our market should be up. The DOW and FTSE has been flying and our market is sitting still. On a like-for-like basis, the All Ords should be about 5100. The thing is I can't see the catalyst to push us higher. The thing that move the index are fully valued. The top 50 shares looks fairly valued so the catalyst would be the second reporting season coming up in the next 3 weeks.