View Full Version : NZX - NZ Exchange

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Anna Naum
03-06-2010, 05:07 PM
NZX Market Supervision Public Statement

3 June 2010

NZX Market Supervision Public Statement

Introduction

The NZ Markets Disciplinary Tribunal (“NZMDT”) has considered a Settlement Agreement in respect of a Statement of Case brought by NZX Market Supervision (“NZXMS”) against a Market Participant (the “Participant”). In accordance with the settlement reached between NZXMS and the Participant, and approved by NZMDT, the identity of the Participant has been omitted from this public statement.

The Statement of Case related to alleged breaches of NZX Participant Rule E10.15.1(f) and NZX Participant Rule 11.16.5(b) in respect of trading by a client of the Participant (the “Client”).

The NZXMS investigation of this matter arose from NZXMS’s surveillance of the NZDX Market.

NZX Participant Rules
NZX Participant Rule E10.15.1(f) requires that:
“All Trades shall be reported in the Trading System on a gross basis excluding any reasonable brokerage or fees incurred;”
NZX Participant Rule 11.16.5(b) requires that:
“Each Client Advising Participant must disclose on a client’s contract note:

The full extent of any commission and margin charge; and
…”

Description of Breaches

1. Breach One – NZX Participant Rule E10.15.1(f)

(a) An NZXMS investigation uncovered that, over a two month period, the Participant reported 19 trades to market at a price which included the Participants brokerage fee.

(b) Reporting Trades to market inclusive of brokerage fees is a breach of NZX Participant Rule E10.15.1(f).

(c) The Participant has admitted this breach.

(d) NZXMS accepts the contention of the Participant that the breach resulted from the specific request of the Client as set out in paragraph 2(c) below.

2. Breach Two – NZX Participant Rule 11.16.5(b)

(a) Following the trading activity to which Breach One relates, the Participant provided the Client with contact notes which, while it included the brokerage charged, did not separately disclose the Participant’s brokerage fee.

(b) The provision of contract notes to a client, which do not disclose the full extent of any commission or margin charges, is a breach of NZX Participant Rule 11.16.5(b).

(c) The Participant has admitted this breach. NZXMS accepts that this arrangement was entered into at the request of the Client who required the brokerage to be presented in that way. However, NZXMS does not consider it appropriate for Market Participants to contract out of the NZX Participant Rules without express permission from NZXMS.

Decision

NZXMS and the Participant have reached a settlement in respect of the above breaches that:

(a) a penalty of $6,500 (plus GST, if any) be imposed on the Participant for the above breaches in aggregate and that such penalty shall be paid into the NZX (Discipline) Fund;

(b) the Participant will pay the costs incurred and invoiced for both NZXMS and the NZMDT (plus GST, if any); and

(c) this public statement will be published.

The settlement has been approved by the NZMDT, as contemplated by section 10 of the NZMDT Rules, and as such, the Settlement Agreement is the determination of NZMDT.

percy
03-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Nice to see the wording "the Paticipant"is this now the correct term for "the Member"which I always enjoyed.?
Unfortunately the joke still remains.

Anna Naum
03-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Once again the NZX slaps one of its own with a wet bus ticket

percy
03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Once again the NZX slaps one of its own with a wet bus ticket

Learnt from 'the member'days I would think!!!

Capitalist
03-06-2010, 06:19 PM
If you don't like it, don't invest in it. It really is that simple.

Anna Naum
03-06-2010, 07:23 PM

I am more concerned at the lack of real punishment for activities that break the rules. As for the investment case, the only way it becomes better is if the NZX is seen to be a true and fair exchange, this sort of behaviour and punishment does nothing to improve the image of the exchange in the eyes of people looking to commit capital to the market, not just those looking to invest in the stock itself.

percy
03-06-2010, 07:25 PM

You may be right,however I fail t see how anyone can like it.It is a joke that reflects on NZX for issuing it.

Dr_Who
03-06-2010, 07:57 PM

I dont, most of my funds are invested overseas. There is nothing much worth investing on the NZX. This is one of the many reasons why NZers still love properties and not equities.

percy
03-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I dont, most of my funds are invested overseas. There is nothing much worth investing on the NZX. This is one of the many reasons why NZers still love properties and not equities.

Unfortunately I think your post is too true.

Thumpa
03-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I can't stand the NZX announcements . Look's like they are printed on a commodore 64 dot matrix printer .... unreadable

mr.needs
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I can't stand the NZX announcements . Look's like they are printed on a commodore 64 dot matrix printer .... unreadable

If you log into My NZX (that little box on the right of the webpage) you can view the announcements in all their pdf goodness. Its really not that difficult; click on an announcement and then click on 'Related Attachment' to download.

Silverlight
04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't get what the joke is, maybe I am just naive?

Second fine in as many weeks? https://www.i-search.nzx.com/blobs/NZSE0000/2010/330675/NZSE0000-119899.pdf

minimoke
04-06-2010, 08:29 PM
As an aside anyone here familiar with NZX rules. I need some help on a company's obligation (if any) to report a situation that may impact negatively on earnings. Please PM me.

Vtrader
25-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Again NZX getting less than positive publicity. Some issue with late payment for electricity market as administered by NZX. Appears payments were delayed over the weekend and have now been settled. Not good news that the NZX are getting their systems investigated again...
V.

macduffy
23-10-2010, 09:05 AM
ASX and Singapore Exchange to join forces?

I wonder if anyone's interested in taking over the NZX and if so, whether this would breathe some life into our bourse.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/asx-singapore-stock-exchange-to-join-forces/story-e6frg8zx-1225942452702

macduffy
23-10-2010, 10:05 AM
And here's a reminder that we're not the only ones concerned about the "hollowing-out" of our national exchange.

"Richard Holmes wrote:

It looks like we are about to lose another top Australian company, Perpetual, to overseas owners. (See KKR's Perpetual problem, October 18.) KKR are only going to do what was done to Myer. Then we have Foster's which might also disappear, with no Australian-owned brewer left in a country which consumes copious quantities of the stuff.

Why do company directors think selling their companies is the best result for shareholders? They are paid excessively well, along with their bonuses to run the company. If they cannot do it, resign and get someone else to do it. But then they have vested interests in a takeover, such as further bonuses for completing the transaction and a job on the board of the new entity lapping up directors fees.

If these takeovers continue at this rate, there will be fewer and fewer quality ASX listed companies to invest in. Where to then? Into managed overseas funds which rob the daylight out of unit holders with their fees, with no loss to the managers if things go bad? It will be the managed funds that determine what happens and they are only after a profit in the short term which does more for their bonuses than it does for shareholder returns.

18 Oct 2010 2:50 PM

"

remy
25-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Any ASX holders in this joint? Sold mine a few months back.. Hurting big time :(

_Michael
25-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Any ASX holders in this joint? Sold mine a few months back.. Hurting big time :(

Do not hold ASX but hold NZX.

Interested in what the implications are for NZX.

Positive - valuation implications and speculation of further consolidation

Negative - the new combined entity could look to enter NZ market and steam roll NZX in the dairy futures market etc.

Anyone have a view on this?

POSSUM THE CAT
25-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Michael the sooner the better. Preferably they steam roll NZX out of existence the better

lissica
25-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Yep, but only have 300 odd ASX shares. I seem to have the habit of getting the least significant parts of my portfolio being taken over recently, last ones being AVE and AOE. Or maybe there is an 'A' theme.

No one wants my bigger holdings, but I shouldn't really complain ^.^

lissica
25-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I seem to have the habit of getting the least significant parts of my portfolio being taken over recently, last ones being AVE and AOE. Or maybe there is an 'A' theme.

And just for the record so I can tell you all I told you so, the only 'A' share I have left is ANZ.
Start piling in everyone!

Hoop
26-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Do not hold ASX but hold NZX.

Interested in what the implications are for NZX.

Positive - valuation implications and speculation of further consolidation

Negative - the new combined entity could look to enter NZ market and steam roll NZX in the dairy futures market etc.

_Michael you would be happy with NZX positive knee jerk reaction this morning would'nt you?
NZX shares up 5c (+3.2% ) atm

JayPe
26-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Would the combined exchange look to compete and kill NZX, or buy it out? Surely the latter is more likely. New Zealand isn't large enough for two competing companies - and everybody knows it. It would be much simpler & cheaper to just buy NZX, and the threat of competition would be enough to ensure the takeover premium was not excessive.

peat
26-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure exactly how rational it is but the thought of the national securities exchange (which has some regulatory role) being owned and operated by a foreign corporation is unsettling even if there are synergy benefits. Presumably there are conflicts of interest at some stage as well. Strikes me that best interest of the nation is a large factor in this situation
I guess there are securities exchanges not locally owned in other countries but perhaps in these cases they are not the only bourse eg there is competition.

There are a few objectors popping up in Aussie for this one (the SGX bid)
If it goes through then (barring legal restrictions) the NZX will be a goner. Of course it may well get a good t/o offer but that will in the long run just be another contribution to the demise of our own capital markets

edit : relevant article
ironically listed on the nzx website (well I guess not truly ironically given that its angle)
http://www.nzx.com/home/4272737/ASX-deal-good-for-Australia-bad-for-New-Zealand
The ASX attempted to take over the New Zealand stock exchange in 2001, and was rebuffed, largely on national interest arguments.

JayPe
29-10-2010, 04:25 PM
There are a few objectors popping up in Aussie for this one (the SGX bid)

Looks like there's a lot of kerfuffle about this politically (who would have thought eh?):
- the Greens (1 MP + a number of Senators) have stated they will not support the merger
- Independents/crossbenchers Tony Crook, Andrew Wilkie & Bob Katter said they did not support the merger
- the Opposition is talking about how they really do support foreign investment in principle, but there's the whole "national interest" thing
- the Treasurer, Wayne Swan, has issued a statement full of the "national interest", "market integrity" and the "regulatory process" (you can successfully guess the rest)

The transaction needs to be approved by Parliament indirectly, as regulations need to be changed allowing a party to hold more than 15% of the ASX shares. Its interesting to note that the ASX share price jumped 20% when the offer was announced (much less than the 37% premium) and when the Greens leader made his comments they dropped 7.5%. So its no done deal.

Sources:
http://www.smh.com.au/business/asx-takeover-faces-big-hurdles-20101026-171la.html
http://www.smh.com.au/business/independents-to-oppose-asx-takeover-20101028-174is.html

_Michael
07-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Encouraging news on the Dairy Futures market today. Record volume of trading after very slow start.

Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

With regards to their mire recent results does anyone know how they earn revenues from clearing house outside the usual trading revenues?

Thanks And Regards,

M

macduffy
16-01-2011, 04:56 PM
NZX pulls the plug on its Australian exchange jv.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-business/nzx-winds-up-jv-market-on-aust-securities-20110114-19q5v.html

Silverlight
17-01-2011, 01:20 PM
With regards to their mire recent results does anyone know how they earn revenues from clearing house outside the usual trading revenues?

M

A clearing house makes money from interest it receives, on the margin the users (brokers) deposit with the clearing house, to bear the risk of settling every trade (counter party failure). Addtionally the margin the brokers provide will not always be cash, but securities as well. The clearing house can then lend there securities out to third parties, for a fee, and the third parties can use the lent stock to sell short securities.

On the ASX merger taking over NZX, why bother? why target bread crumbs, when you already own a bakery?

NZX completes 2,000 trades a day, compared to ASX 400,000 trades a day, the revenue and effort to secure the extra NZX revenue is easier done by just having the big companies dual list... oh yeah that already happens, FBU, TEL, AIA, AIR, IFT, are already listed on asx, are more traded there, and more liquid, so ASX already get a piece of the pie, and over time their piece has grown.

NZX is a data merchant business, that as a side also runs an exchange. For accurate analysis, compare NZX to Iress, Bloomberg, or even APN, rather than ASX.

Balance
17-01-2011, 08:45 PM
NZX is a data merchant business, that as a side also runs an exchange. For accurate analysis, compare NZX to Iress, Bloomberg, or even APN, rather than ASX.

NZX has been milking monopoly profits by fee gouging industry participants - so much so that the industry is shrinking and the day of reckoning is coming fast.

Mark Weldon will be out of there though with his options etc cashed up before the inevitable happens - his successor will be left with a stuffed goose which used to lay eggs.

What a disgrace.

Vtrader
17-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Meanwhile, 'those that know best' are encouraging NZers to save and invest in wealth creation.
Little wonder the kiwi property love affair is what it is.
V.

Balance
17-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Meanwhile, 'those that know best' are encouraging NZers to save and invest in wealth creation.
Little wonder the kiwi property love affair is what it is.
V.

Property love affair is a global phenomenon - witness the carnage in Ireland, Spain and the US. Witness the obsession with property in Asia.

Difference is that they are more balanced in their investments and not as dumb as your average kiwi investor who thinks property can only go one way. Blue Chip and coastal properties are two prime examples of how dumb kiwis are.

Coastal property in NZ is now stuffed for the next 10 years.

Balance
18-01-2011, 08:57 AM
An idea of the disaster which is coastal properties in NZ :

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/property/news/article.cfm?c_id=8&objectid=10691974

Almost as bad as the Irish real estate market where property prices have collpased between 33% to 75% since 2007.

Or the Spanish coastal properties which has dropped by over 55%.

Love affair with properties, anyone?

She is one ugly asset class in certain segments but the average kiwi is so dumb and starry eyed, they get taken for one big gigantic ride.

Xerof
18-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Coastal property in NZ is now stuffed for the next 10 years.

If you follow the global warming mantra, coastal property is stuffed permanently - it'll be seabed.........

Gee, we could open up a huge debate here though Balance - a lot of the cause of boom/bust can be squarely laid at the feet of loose lending policies by lending institutions, and loose monetary conditions being left in place for far too long by authorities (under Greenspan for example), and finally, our broking/advisory fraternity can take some of the blame for putting investors into totally inappropriate asset classes for individual circumstances, and poor investments per se, simply for the sake of commissions and ongoing trails.....

I agree the NZX is a disgrace and should be put out of its misery. Yet another NZ 'industry' in terminal decline

Balance
18-01-2011, 09:31 AM
If you follow the global warming mantra, coastal property is stuffed permanently - it'll be seabed.........

Look over at Australia - a sign of things to come. There are already cheap beachfront properties in Byron Bay, Noosa and Sanctuary Cove for sale as insurance will not cover them.

Meanwhile, kiwis still look adoringly at their overpriced and unwanted coastal properties and wonder what happened to the queues of buyers who were there 4 years ago.

minimoke
18-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Love affair with properties, anyone?

She is one ugly asset class in certain segments but the average kiwi is so dumb and starry eyed, they get taken for one big gigantic ride.
As a fan of property I was wondering if this ought to get a response. It does and its one of agreement.

One of the properties I have on my "watchlist" is the Twizel Airport Subdivision. You are probably wondering where Twizel is and may be even more surprised it has an airport.

But thanks to the foresight of the city elders and the generosity of the rate payers of the Mackenzie District you to can fly your personal light aircraft to the heart of the majestic Mackenzie country. Taxiing on the runway is a breeze as it is designed to avoid collision with other congested airport traffic and you can park your plane in your own two story hanger and retire in your personalized 150sqm aviator paradise. You're then only a three minute drive to the bustling heart of Twizel. While in town stop off for a satisfyingly cup of Nescafe, enjoy a Shrimp Cocktail before tucking into your Snitzel at the Twizel Tavern before a round of golf at the 9 hole Ben Ohau Links (heads up - sheep only graze on days with an "s" in it"). If you fancy a quiet night at home you can always get Top Gun movie out from the local hardware store (check out the "Latest Releases" stand!) or if you are a bit of a Shane Jones I have it on good authority Boys in the Sand is available behind the curtain.

Heres me thinking the inbreeding around Waimate had bred out any useful intelligence from the local population it seems a few slope foreheaded individuals had the intellectual capacity to cob a ride on the back of a harvester and ended up in a position of power in Twizel and created this brilliant scheme.

Either that, or Alan Hubbards South Canterbury Finance has helped fund a few farmers into an equally successful political career. Either way the Airport Subdivision is an idea dreamt up by numbskull's who can take some comfort from the fact that a few oxygen deprived aviators have seen fit to stump up a bit of cash for their piece of high country paradise. Its no wonder Martin Jetpack has expectations of a successful IPO.

Balance
18-01-2011, 08:34 PM
This is the dumb part about NZ investors and commentators - it's always 'wild west ' stock market and 'no wonder love affair with property' as if both statements are correct.

Imagine how investors and commentators would react if a big segment of the NZ stock market was to collapse, wiping billions off the face of the earth and liquidity dried up completely? And yet, that's exactly what has happened to the coastal property market - likewise the lakes and river markets. Howls of protest and derogatory comments made?

Not letting the NZX off the hook though. It is a disgrace - a fee gouging monopoly which has failed by almost all measures of performance - size, growth, liquidity, dynamism, education etc.

NZ will pay a very heavy price for the way that the NZX has been allowed to be run down even as its executives, especially CEO, are paid astronomical amounts based upon profit.

Balance
19-01-2011, 09:34 AM
And now, even dairy farmers are finding cold harsh reality that farm prices must ultimately reflect adequate reurns, focus on productive gains rather than capital gains :

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10700523

Love affair with property? More like the kiss of leverage combined with dumb thinking by kiwis.

Balance
21-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Yet more fall-out from the love affair so exuberantly promoted and discussed by certain quarters and individuals :

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/4564045/Queenstown-creditors-likely-out-of-pocket

She's an ugly one, the Lakes district property segment. But starry eyed lovers see her as gorgeous beyond reproach.

Just mention the word "property' and the kiwi love-struck blinded suitors come with money in their hands to pour into the ventures.

Balance
21-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Want a section at half-price in Queenstown?

She's a lovely looking one, this one : http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-property/Residential-property/Sections-for-sale/auction-325703288.htm

Only love-struck kiwis need apply.

Xerof
21-01-2011, 08:59 AM
But wait, Sam Stubbs says it's a great time to buy a house......:scared::scared:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/4560372/A-good-time-to-own-a-house

Eeuww, lemme at them......

discl: read at own risk
discl: bin rentin since aug 2007

JBmurc
21-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Want a section at half-price in Queenstown?

She's a lovely looking one, this one : http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-property/Residential-property/Sections-for-sale/auction-325703288.htm

Only love-struck kiwis need apply.

yeah old joke point can't believe the 385,000 rateable value talk about overvalued, the section we've built are new home on at lake hayes is near three times the size and has a Q.V of only 290,000 and a few on the same street have sold in the low 300's recently

another real bonus on that jacks point section is the fact your annual rates are real expensive as not only do you have to pay rates on 385k value to the QLDC but you have a annual golf course fee,jacks point sewerage,landscaping upkeep etc(you have to pay extra to actually get a playing membership)think it's round 4k-5k per ann for this type section double what are rates are

Balance
21-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Back to NZX.

Complaint made by aggrieved note holder in Sept 2010 against inadequate disclosure by South Canterbury Finance referred by NZX to Securities Commission.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/new-south-canty-complaint-referred-seccomm-nzx-p-83953

Oh wow! NZX considers the complaint to be sufficiently serious!

And where was the NZX right throughout this sorry saga? Enforcing its continuous disclosure regime to make sure that investors are adequately informed?

Where were the 'please explain' from NZX even whilst SCF's notes blew out and the news gotten grimmer and grimmer?

Asleep at the wheel, hoping like hell that SCF would keep trading for a while so that NZX can keep clipping the ticket.

An absolute disgrace.

Silverlight
25-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Where were the 'please explain' from NZX even whilst SCF's notes blew out and the news gotten grimmer and grimmer?

In the interest of "balance", NZX did write to SCF on the 5 August.

http://www.nzx.com/markets/NZDX/SCF010/announcements/3994951/Share-Price-Enquiry

SPARKY
26-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I mortgaged myself up to my eyeballs to buy a house in 1972, cost 5000. REPayments were almost crippling. I sold in 1986 and the repayments were a joke, sold for 55000.
If I,d had 5000 cash in the bank in 1972 there is no way that would have got to 55000 in 14 yrs. this demonstrated to me how, in times of inflation, properties can be a good option. The average kiwi is probably not going to buy a beachfront property, he will probably buy the house next door and rent it.
A house is a house and will always be a house, 5000$ will always be 5000$ but it can be worth bugger all over time.
If you believe inflation is going to increase having money in the bank is not a good option, a house is better, or maybe you could own shares, but which ones, or you could trust your cash to a finance co.
good luck whatever you do,

minimoke
26-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I'd set up a poll if I remembered how but what are the chances of Mighty River Power, Solid Energy, Meridian Energy and Genesis entering the NZX in a partial SOE sell off / float. I'd say not high.

CJ
26-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I'd set up a poll if I remembered how but what are the chances of Mighty River Power, Solid Energy, Meridian Energy and Genesis entering the NZX in a partial SOE sell off / float. I'd say not high.This should probably be another thread, but provided National gets elected, at least one of those will be listed in the next term. Ideally I would like to see one partial listing per year for the next few years. Sell off 20%-25% initially and retail the option to sell down again to retain 51%.

If done annually, it will see a lot of (media) interest in the markets and will also mean the public would be able to afford to drip feed into the market. If they dump them all at once, increased likelihood larger poritions will go offshore.

Also introduce a brightline test so if you sell within 1 year of IPO, it is deemed to be on revenue account (ie. taxable) to ensure those that want them get it and to reduce those trying to stag it.

POSSUM THE CAT
26-01-2011, 07:50 PM
CJ Are they just trying to keep the NZX in existence More Money to be saved by rolling the Three power companies into one and saving two thirds of the salaries let alone the reduction of rent. Cheaper finance available for larger company reduction in computer costs as you only need one setup not three. More efficient use of generating capacity. I think it is a brainless idea. Just to prop up the NZX Borrow the money of the Public Just offer Govt Guaranteed term deposits at reasonable interest rates readily available to the public and cut out the banks margin. But that would upset thier mates in Banking would it not?

Jaa
26-01-2011, 10:24 PM
CJ Are they just trying to keep the NZX in existence More Money to be saved by rolling the Three power companies into one and saving two thirds of the salaries let alone the reduction of rent. Cheaper finance available for larger company reduction in computer costs as you only need one setup not three. More efficient use of generating capacity. I think it is a brainless idea. Just to prop up the NZX Borrow the money of the Public Just offer Govt Guaranteed term deposits at reasonable interest rates readily available to the public and cut out the banks margin. But that would upset thier mates in Banking would it not?

That sounds far to sensible to ever happen :(

CJ
27-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Good point - why are they split? The competition argument goes out the window (pretty much) since there is contact and Trustpower.

minimoke
27-01-2011, 08:54 AM
This should probably be another thread, .
I think you are right - have done so.

POSSUM THE CAT
27-01-2011, 11:37 AM
And the NZX is still a Joke the sooner it is replaced with something more competitive the better

Snow Leopard
02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Given that you have been moaning about this one, I thought I should buy some.

best wishes
Paper Tiger

_Michael
09-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Any chance of chart Phaedrus. Some interesting price / volume action this week.

Snow Leopard
09-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Given that you have been moaning about this one, I thought I should buy some.

best wishes
Paper Tiger

So, after a less than stellar start, suddenly it is rising like Mainfreight !

Obviously there has been insider knowledge that Mark was not going to lead the company (http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=NZX&E=NZSE&N=206644) for a while. (But seriously, I am fully in favour of the fund raising).

Tschuss
Paper Tiger

Phaedrus
10-03-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't know how actively you want to trade, Michael, so this chart attempts to cover all the bases.

Active short-term traders would use the short-term trendlines (dotted light green and magenta lines) along with oscillators such as the RSI shown here. Note that every divergence marked a significant turning point, but that not every significant turning point was marked by a divergence.

Those wanting to trade the "medium-term" trends would use the red and green trendlines and the OBV trendline.

Long-term, conservative traders would use the 200 day moving average and perhaps a slow Stochastic oscillator as shown here.

The points at which each of these groups bought should be quite obvious, but if you are unclear about anything, just ask.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/PhaedrusPB/NZX310.gif

_Michael
10-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks Phaedrus.

I am long term and agree the trend is your friend.

There is a lot of institutional money fleeing into NZX now on the back of their dividend hike and very bullish outlook.

Am picking the slow stochastic oscillator is indicating buy currently - is that correct.

I have been hold since mid GFC but added last week on news and assumption the big money would start flowing once it takes one or two weeks to digest the news!

Lizard
03-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I notice that in the middle of the National Property Trust re-organisation, the NZX has managed to delete the links to any info on NAP and not yet loaded anything under NPT... crazy, since this is exactly the time that people might want to know what is happening with their NAP shares...

nosolution
05-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Phaedrus, I'd love to see an updates chart on this. Pretty excited about what my NZX shares have been up to over the last few months :p

Snow Leopard
18-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Good to see this is still on the up and up :)

best wishes
Paper Tiger

Romer
18-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Good to see this is still on the up and up :)

best wishes
Paper Tiger

If it's gonna keep on doing this Anna Naum is gonna have to change the name of the thread :)

nosolution
19-05-2011, 03:37 PM
If it's gonna keep on doing this Anna Naum is gonna have to change the name of the thread :)

Right? This has definitely been the performer in my portfolio as of late. I have to say I'm not 100% sure why. But I'm not complaining.

Jim
21-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't know why punters are selling it last year and NZX was buying it back big time at around $1.4+ a share. Luckily I picked up some for that price and I intend to sit on it and collect the dividend. Good yield and growth stock I think

nosolution
10-06-2011, 04:35 PM
What do you guys think about this? Immidiate trend seems to be turning. Obviously long term trend still says up but... activity has definitely changed.

nosolution
24-06-2011, 01:43 PM
CEO sold 2 million shares today. Probably not a good sign. Apparently he sold 2 mil, bought $800k worth (looks like options so who knows at what price?) and used the rest to buy a property.

winner69
24-06-2011, 02:17 PM
CEO sold 2 million shares today. Probably not a good sign. Apparently he sold 2 mil, bought $800k worth (looks like options so who knows at what price?) and used the rest to buy a property.

... and just a week after a real rave at the AGM about how great the company was ..... whatever the timing was never going to be brillant

Anyway Mr Weldon ... you have done well over the past few years ... well done

Balance
14-07-2011, 07:29 AM
... and just a week after a real rave at the AGM about how great the company was ..... whatever the timing was never going to be brillant

Anyway Mr Weldon ... you have done well over the past few years ... well done

He has done an outstanding job - of enriching himself whilst stuffing up NZ's capital markets and being a hypocrite when it comes to upholding the highest standards expected from being the market operator and regulator.

Is the FMA investigating this glaring failure to disclose material information to the market before Mr Weldon sold the 2m shares?

Clear founder's 'unpleasant' tactics: NZX
PAUL MCBETH Last updated 12:02 08/07/2011

Stock exchange operator NZX has hit out at Grant Thomas's lawyer, accusing him of "unpleasant" tactics after details of a lawsuit over the Clear grain exchange were leaked to the media.

NZX stock dropped 4 per cent to $2.40 today after BusinessDay and the National Business Review reported that Thomas, who co-founded the Melbourne-based grain exchange before selling to NZX and becoming an employee, may seek as much as $17 million in earn-outs from the soured contract.

A lawsuit from Thomas would come after NZX filed its own action in the High Court this week over its A$6.4 million purchase of the Clear grain exchange in 2009, claiming "breach of warranty and related claims."

That suit named Thomas, grain exchange co-founder Dominic Pym and their companies Ralec Commodities Pty and Ralec Interactive Pty.

NZX said in an unattributed statement that Thomas's lawyer, Rob McGirr, had made "exaggerated and inaccurate" statements and suggestions of $17 million of earn-outs were "irresponsible".

BusinessDay said NZX was ordered to pay Thomas A$259,705 by a Melbourne court six weeks ago that was due under a settlement deal made last year.

"NZX is fully confident it has discharged its obligations appropriately and reasonably, and is not swayed by tactics of this nature - unpleasant though they may be," the company said in a statement.

"The earn-out targets for the Clear business were ambitious, which is why NZX agreed to these being classified as earn-outs, rather than to augment the original purchase price."

"I have nothing to add at this stage as we go through our various internal processes," NZX chairman Andrew Harmos told BusinessDesk in an email.

The media reports cast doubt on the foray into Australian grain. NZX chief executive Mark Weldon is quoted telling the Melbourne court in May that Clear was showing "a substantial economic loss."

BusinessDay said it may need to writedown the value of the asset, eroding first-half profit.

That was despite NZX referring to Clear in its annual report in March as "demonstrating real momentum," the report said.

NZX agreed to pay interests associated with Thomas and his partner Pym A$7 million in earn-outs if the Clear exchange hit certain targets, though these weren't met, Fairfax reported.

NZX said the grain tonnage has been growing season on season, but was "not sufficient to meet the earn-out targets agreed in connection with the Clear transaction."

The grain exchange was set up to take advantage of the break-up of the Australian Wheat Board monopoly, and was looking to capture a slice of the A$100 million to A$150 million growers spent annually on commissions to sell their products.

Grain trading was expected to add another suite to NZX's agricultural products, and came as it was in the process of setting up its dairy futures trading.

At the time of the sale, NZX said the grain exchange had registered more than 1,100 grain growers, 100 brokers and 200 buyers and bulk handlers across Australia are registered, and was set to link with a further 13,000 growers registered with GrainCorp, that country's largest grain bulk handler.

CJ
14-07-2011, 08:50 AM
That was despite NZX referring to Clear in its annual report in March as "demonstrating real momentum," the report said.Did he give any indication of what direction that real momentum was? You were just assuming it was up. :)

Continuous dislosure is a hard call but he definately should have sold while that wasn't disclosed.

Anyone here going to put in a complaint? (I am not a holder)

Balance
14-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Did he give any indication of what direction that real momentum was? You were just assuming it was up. :)

Continuous dislosure is a hard call but he definately should have sold while that wasn't disclosed.

Anyone here going to put in a complaint? (I am not a holder)

Up of course. Have you ever seen Mark Weldon allowing himself to be tainted with anything negative?

Why do you think NZX has such high turnover of staff? CFOs especially?

What is very disturbing is that the law suit was filed in May - so NZX and Mark Weldon were fully aware in Jnne when Weldon sold his shares that :

1. Grain was not doing well and NZX was taking a law suit against the ex-directors.

2. No attempt was made to correct the 'real momentum ..." comment from the Annual Report.

3. It took the Australians to disclose the information to the public before NZX even remotely thought of informing the market.

4. This statement speaks volume about the butt-covering that is already going on in NZX : ""I have nothing to add at this stage as we go through our various internal processes," NZX chairman Andrew Harmos told BusinessDesk in an email.

Ok, FMA - over to you to show you do believe in market integrity and proper disclosures of material information.

Xerof
14-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Have you ever seen Mark Weldon allowing himself to be tainted with anything negative?

Balance, I'm reminded of the fact that Weldon refused to stand beside Brian Henry for a photoshoot at the DIL IPO launch.....

Balance
14-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Balance, I'm reminded of the fact that Weldon refused to stand beside Brian Henry for a photoshoot at the DIL IPO launch.....

Haha ... like Helen Clark refusing to be side by side with and snubbing Owen Glenn at the Uni Auckland Owen Glenn Business School opening. Did not do Helen any good.

Weldon has conveniently got Andrew Harmos to reply to this episode of potential insider trading?

Balance
15-07-2011, 09:39 AM
More like it.

According to NBR, NZX being investigated for breach of disclosure.

Balance
15-07-2011, 09:55 AM
NZX obviously felt that it is a law unto itself.

FMA confirms NZX inquiry
TIM HUNTER Last updated 09:43 15/07/2011

The Financial Markets Authority has confirmed an inquiry into stock exchange operator NZX, after BusinessDay revealed comments by NZX chief executive Mark Weldon apparently at odds with market disclosures.

Last Friday BusinessDay reported details of a lawsuit and employment dispute involving NZX subsidiary the Clear grain exchange, acquired by NZX in 2009.

The lawsuit related to alleged deceptive conduct by the vendors of Clear - interests associated with former St Kilda football coach Grant Thomas and software specialist Dominic Pym.

Both were retained as employees by NZX after the deal, but an employment dispute led to the departure of Thomas last year.

In a Melbourne court hearing in May this year Weldon gave evidence that Clear was showing "a substantial economic loss".

"We've got another audit committee meeting coming up in June where we will look at what the actual numbers are against the purchase price - the business is not performing well," he said.

Published statements by NZX about Clear's performance were more positive. In its annual report published in March, NZX said Clear was "demonstrating real momentum, with trading currently tracking at four times the levels reached in the previous harvest.''

The FMA said it was aware NZX was undertaking an inquiry into matters relating to its subsidiary Clear grain exchange.

''We have asked some questions of NZX and we are following their inquiry with interest. We expect to hear their conclusions late this week or early next.''

As a stock exchange issuer, NZX is subject to its own listing rules, enforced by the special division of the NZX Markets Disciplinary Tribunal.

The FMA has a statutory responsibility to oversee the compliance of listed issuers, including NZX itself, with their continuous disclosure obligations.

Xerof
15-07-2011, 09:55 AM
FMA is off to a good start then - tasty case to sink a new set of teeth into

Balance
16-07-2011, 10:19 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10738763

Contrast the two statements :

"Continuing the commodities exposure available through NZX, the Clear Grain Exchange in Australia is demonstrating real momentum, with trading currently trading at four times the levels reached in the previous harvest." March 2011

"We've got another audit committee meeting coming up in June where we will look at what the actual numbers are as against the purchase price - the business is not performing well," he said.
"There is a substantial economic loss, there is a substantial cash flow loss in Australia." May 2011

And as per usual, Mr Weldon is nowhere to be seen or heard as this is not good for his image. The spin machine has gone into overdrive :

NZX chairman Andrew Harmos said it was not right to say the NZX was under investigation.

"It is not a big, sensational matter at all. It is normal routine inquiry ... and they are awaiting the outcome of our review which we will announce as soon as it is completed."

Accounting firm KPMG had been called in to compile a report for the NZX's audit committee, Harmos said.

Very careful use of words. Not a big sensational thing according to the spin machine. Why then bring in KPMG to compile a report? Will the audit committee answer the question why NZX, Mr Weldon and Mr Harmos saw fit not to advise the market that the Clear grain business is not doing well. Especially when Mr Weldon sold 2m shares after an upbeat AGM and brokers' presentations.

winner69
16-07-2011, 10:44 AM
"Cowboys belong in the movies" says the FMA

Good to see they are going after a high profile cowboy .... doubt whether it will come too much though

Not a good look though - but then we ordinary folk just don't get it - its just a ruse for the rich to screw the ordinary folk .... and they are doing a good job

For one 'setting the standards' interesting to see that NZX don't put much emphasis on reporting their NPAT - all they concentrate on is what they call EBITDAF .... goodness gracious

Never really studied NZX as a company but I thought with a market cap of nearly $300m they must be making heaps and was surprised to see they only made $10m (real profit after the ITDAF bits) last year

just a rave .... doesn't matter cause they will continue on their merry way and be cowboys ... and setting the standards ... we should be proud of them

Balance
18-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh dear, NZX has just scored an own goal in its case in Australia?

Watch out now for the Australians to go for the jugular in court.

NZX audit clears market disclosure
TIM HUNTER Last updated 10:40 18/07/2011

Stock exchange operator NZX has confirmed the value of its Clear grain exchange remains unimpaired after comments by CEO Mark Weldon came to light apparently casting doubt on its performance.

In a statement published to the market this morning, NZX said its audit and risk committee had carried out a thorough review, of the Australian unit with the help of accountancy firm KPMG, over the last 10 days.

''KPMG have reported to the Audit Committee that in their view there are no factors indicating that there is an impairment issue that should be signalled in NZX's accounts,'' it said.

''The board confirms that the carrying value of the CGX asset on the NZX Group balance sheet remains unchanged.''

The statement followed concern from the Financial Markets Authority over the accuracy of NZX disclosure relating to Clear, triggered by comments from CEO Mark Weldon apparently at odds with the company's published accounts.

In evidence relating to an employment dispute given to a Melbourne court in May, Weldon said two years after acquiring Clear the business was struggling to gain customers.

''We've got another audit committee meeting coming up in June where we will look at what the actual numbers are as against the purchase price - the business is not performing well. There is a substantial economic loss, there is a substantial cash flow loss in Australia.''

The NZX annual report published in March had said Clear was ''demonstrating real momentum, with trading currently tracking at four times the levels reached in the previous harvest.''

In its statement today, NZX said Weldon's reference to a substantial economic loss ''was intended, in context, to refer to the periods ending 31 December 2009 and 31 December 2010.

The comments were also directed at the context of CGX - not the NZX Group. Those amounts had already been included in the NZX 2009 and 2010 full year financial accounts.

''Therefore Mr Weldon's comments, in addition to being specific to two previous calendar years and limited to the CGX business alone, were both historically accurate and not material in the context of the NZX Group as a whole. They were not intended to refer, as has been implied, to either the current or prospective performance of CGX, or the NZX Group.''

NZX said to sustain Clear's the current carrying value in its accounts, Clear ''needs to achieve market share in relevant market segments (i.e. not the entire Australian grain market) at or around 7 per cent by 2015, which is not materially above current market share levels. CGX is currently estimated at around 4 per cent of the relevant market.''

Ad Feedback

NZX also said share sales by Weldon disclosed on July 1 had been made with approval of the board.

''The board confirms, including based on the information in this release, that NZX has been and remains in compliance with its continuous disclosure obligations, including at the time Mr Weldon received consent to trade and placed an order to sell shares in NZX Limited.''

Clear was acquired by NZX in 2009 for about $8.8 million from its founders, former Aussie rules football coach Grant Thomas and software specialist Dominic Pym, who had started the business a year earlier.

Its value in NZX accounts as of December was mainly an intangible asset relating to the software of $7.8m.

NZX filed a lawsuit against Thomas and Pym in Wellington High Court on July 5, alleging misleading or deceptive conduct relating to the Clear deal.

Steve
18-07-2011, 08:57 PM
When is the Aussie court case happening?

Rusty
28-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Anyone been on the new NZX website?

chippy52
28-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes. Not a fan of the new layout. Nowhere near the same info as the old system.

Rusty
28-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Agree. The charting system use to be reasonably good, with many indicators to choose from. Now it sucks

POSSUM THE CAT
28-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Well what did you expect it is the NZX should have been amalgamated with the ASX years ago

zigzag
28-07-2011, 03:19 PM
And you can't scroll thru the whole market and get bids and offers at a glance. You have to click on each stock individually, which is time wasting, and you lose that overall impression. Has anyone spotted any actual improvements yet?

RazorX
28-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Also I can't find any quick news links - they used to supply headlines as it happened, now the only news link I found on the site you have to pay for. Maybe we should do their survey and tell them what's wrong with the site.... which is pretty much everything. Even the Biggest gainers and losers only shows % of movement now and not the actual $ moved.

DANG the charting system is useless! Cannot specify multiple MA's of my own choosing, very few other indicators. Can only go back two years... sometimes I like to see how a stock has performed for up to 5 years. Now we will have to rely on external charting packages. Can we download NZX data straight to another charting software?

Under Surveillance
28-07-2011, 05:34 PM
It looks a quite pretty, like a bogged up rust bucket given a quick spray job. Functionally, it's gone backwards, big time. Aim must be to require people to subscribe for what was free?

waikare
28-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Anyone been on the new NZX website?
It's terrible, shoddier than the IRD site.

Joshuatree
28-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Ive got it ;you guys are all current or ex sharebrokers ,riigghhtt :)

Ekrub
29-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Try using the sharemarket info on the NZ City website. You'll see the
box on the right with the letters of the alphabet in clusters of three,
for the stocks beginning with those letters. It is an hour delayed, but
makes up for a lot of what NZX has taken from us. I'm still hosed off
at losing the share prices on teletext, now we have to go on-line to
chase up the latest, instead of a quick check while watching telly.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/finance/sharemarket/

yabster
29-07-2011, 03:49 PM
agree re the charting use to have some good indicators to select from - i.e obv etc- now its just moving averages - - hopeless !! I have just taken the opportunity to give Mr Weldon the feedback he has asked for on the homepage.

Lebowski
29-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the link Ekrub

Billy Boy
30-07-2011, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=Ekrub;352625] I'm still hosed off
at losing the share prices on teletext, now we have to go on-line to
chase up the latest, instead of a quick check while watching telly.

ME TOO !!!
Maybe some one might take up the pages...
Since they have gone I have not watch Teletext... I used to flick lots of those pages.
Especially when I was at my crib. Only media I could get.
BB

Lizard
31-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm just back from holiday, went to sort out the end-of-month for the ST competition and came up against the new website... arghhhh!

It would not be so bad if it wasn't that NZX hogs so much info that is only accessible through MyNZX - entire announcements come out with the "the attached announcement has been provided to the NZX" as the sole info available through alternative links. Actually, I wonder if we could persuade the FMA to do something about it!

Anyway, off to track down any divs I can... let me know on the comp thread if there are any other than ZIN for this month! Oh, and I have the SCT recap in there too...

janner
31-07-2011, 08:28 PM
and came up against the new website... arghhhh!

Could not agree with you more Lizard..

yabster
01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
got some feedback after I emailed nxz re graphs etc:

We're working to add more functionality to the graphs.

For the search bar, enter # before a code to jump straight to the page. We need to add in the search results step as a consequence of breaking out the different instruments from the one issuing company, but do appreciate it can slow searching down.

Lizard
01-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Further to my previous post, it might be bad for chartists - but at least you can get charts elsewhere... for the fundamental investors, there is often no other way to get info from some announcements, and having only the last 5 announcements accessible for any stock or day is a joke!

Lizard
01-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Phew! I just found the link to the announcements... not as straightforward as it was (since the markets are now separated), but at least they are all there! :)

waikare
01-08-2011, 05:13 PM
agree re the charting use to have some good indicators to select from - i.e obv etc- now its just moving averages - - hopeless !! I have just taken the opportunity to give Mr Weldon the feedback he has asked for on the homepage.

I also have given feedback as requested on their update site, along the lines it's bloody useless

Lizard
01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I am going to put in a good word for them now. The good word is that they actually answered my e-mails - two of them! This has to be a good thing, since I have had two or three ignored in the past (okay, maybe it was 4 or 5 - I don't think I'm really hard-core querulous though...).

Sometimes it is hard not to come to the conclusion that the NZX does not actually want small retail investor/traders, but my faith (or at least hope) is now restored.

chippy52
13-09-2011, 12:02 PM
What a waste of time changing the website. Yesterday I checked the " All Securities Board " everything above FBU had no trades shown at all. Just checked the board today and see it now shows trades for those missing yesterday. The price we pay for progress.

Joshuatree
13-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Have you been pro active about it and contacted them?

Joshuatree
13-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Or is just another case of Mark weldon Envy.:)

iceman
14-09-2011, 08:17 AM

I don't think people complaining about this utterly useless new website has anything to do with "Mark weldon envy". Investors just want easy access to information through the NZX website, something that is much harder to do since they changed their website.

Balance
14-09-2011, 09:00 AM

It is indeed Mark Weldon envy.

By any measure (save monopoly profits at the expense of a vibrant and growing stock market), the NZX has gone backwards and downhill but Mark gets a big share of that monopoly profit - so very very envious.

NZ is already paying the price and future generations will continue to pay the price as all the rewarding and well-paying jobs and opportunities in the financial sector disappear overseas.

Think about it.

POSSUM THE CAT
14-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Mark Weldon seems to get bonuses for reducing the size of the company, look at the number of companies listed on the NZX now compared with the number listed when he took charge of the NZX. In 1998 the NZ Herald had over A page of Financial listings. N ow it is lucky to have a Quarter of a page of NZX listings

_Michael
18-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Mark Weldon seems to get bonuses for reducing the size of the company, look at the number of companies listed on the NZX now compared with the number listed when he took charge of the NZX. In 1998 the NZ Herald had over A page of Financial listings. N ow it is lucky to have a Quarter of a page of NZX listings

This comment is so stupid that it does not belong in the forum.

NZX Limited has grown EBIT from a loss-making state owned dog ten years ago to diversified cash cow that is not just reliant on listings and earns EBIT of $16m

The lack of listings has been structural in many other countries including US where there was also a decline.

Australia have been more lucky as every Australian has been saving 8% of their income for the last 20 years. All of that has been going into the share market and connecting with entrepreneurs who need capital.

Weldon has diversified revenue streams our of necessity because ignorant tall poppy syndrome types like Possum have refused to save their money and invest in Kiwis with entrepreneurial vision like Weldon.

What have you done lately Possum to contribute to the strengthening of our markets and the prosperity of our country? Should we leave this task up to one person and then criticize them for not achieving it?

Reading these forums it is really no surprise we are going backwards. Very sad indeed...

Joshuatree
18-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Excellent post Mike with true words. Ive made great money out of NZX (and intend to again) because of Mark Weldons leadership in modernising and rejuvenating NZX. Ironic that so many of the brokers (the old boys group) had tall poppy problems with Mark and the NZX that they sold their Free NZX allocations early and missed the fab gains; what does that say about their stockpicking skills:)

Joshuatree
19-09-2011, 08:55 AM
No wonder NZ is such a deadbeat nation.[/QUOTE] Does this sound BALANCED:D

POSSUM THE CAT
19-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Michael The NZX is a service company. And it has sacrificed service for profit eventually it will disintegrate. The high fees have IMO sent several brokers to the wall & other companies to list on other exchanges. 90% of my share investing is now on the ASX as there is F/All left on the NZX. I do not wish to repeat myself on my opinion of Mark Weldon, Please note the ASX is not listed on the ASX

Titus
19-09-2011, 12:48 PM
This is something from the website I find hard to understand ...

"Interactive charts not supported in this browser. Please consider Google Chrome or Firefox."

WTF?

So they can support Chrome and Firefox (who the hell uses that?), but they can't support IE9? Guess I will have to stick with ASB securities' much more user friendly website (which does support Explorer).

Titus
19-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Highly unlikely it would be an in-house job. It would be pointless having fulltime paid staff to manage a website when there are so many capable web developers out there who know how to get the job done properly. The NZX site does have a certain "clunkiness" to it though. Maybe they bought cheap, got cheap?

minimoke
19-09-2011, 01:30 PM
It would be pointless having fulltime paid staff to manage a website when there are so many capable web developers out there who know how to get the job done properly. The NZX site does have a certain "clunkiness" to it though. Maybe they bought cheap, got cheap?
Thats never stopped many companies doing stuff in-house because they have no understanding of the value external experts can bring.

POSSUM THE CAT
19-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Done on the cheap. Take it or leave it. Make bigger profits at all cost seem to me to M Weldon's philosophy. Never mind pandering to the Investors & Traders providing the profits. The Old Web site was more use than the new one.

macduffy
19-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Yes, it is a bit obtuse but personally I don't have a problem with it. I assume the purpose is to ensure that companies make full disclosure of such transactions and don't try to cut corners in their announcements.

winner69
19-12-2011, 01:09 PM
If you read the full form one fills out it makes perfect sense
https://www.nzx.com/files/attachments/151116.pdf

However I have always thought there should be an 'executive summary' at the top - like "Mr Prendergast as a result of his retirement his entitlement to various ahres and options has lapsed"

Silverlight
19-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Michael The NZX is a service company. And it has sacrificed service for profit eventually it will disintegrate. The high fees have IMO sent several brokers to the wall & other companies to list on other exchanges. 90% of my share investing is now on the ASX as there is F/All left on the NZX. I do not wish to repeat myself on my opinion of Mark Weldon, Please note the ASX is not listed on the ASX

I don't think you understand how NZX generates its revenues; listing fees, trading fees, selling data. 10 years ago listing/ trading was 90% of revenues (service). Data is what has driven growth, and the likes of bloomberg, Iress, Reuters paying for NZX's data is what drives revenues. This is a generic product, of numbers, in a text string format, that is collected and crucnhed by computers. If NZX only had five listed companies tomorrow, in CEN, TEL, CNU, FBU, AIA the data buyers would still pay exactly the same amount.

I think there needs to be two threads on NZX, NZX the listed business, and NZX the market operator which is the subsidiary of the listed business. As a listed business there has been phenomenal growth in revenues and profits, exactly what shareholders like in any investment.

In the market operations from a stakeholder viewpoint trade volumes, trade values, and listed companies to invest in have been awful, you can blame Weldon, the NZ savings rate, the dodgy regulations, the property speculators, the small amount of businesses listing, the fact that we are an exporting nation, whatever you want, long term it won't change a great deal, until the government do something to promote (force) companies to list here.

ASX will always have more companies to invest in, so what? NYSE, SWX, LSE will have more again. It's as easy to buy NZ companies as ASX ones, what the heck does it matter where they are listed? What does it also matter how big the sharemarket quotes in the paper are? You buy shares to get returns, if you think NZX is going to keep increasing revenues, then you buy the stock when you think its valuable, if you don't, then say so, and give a reason why (ie the Euro crisis will lead to less foreign brokers subscribing for NZX's data which will impact revenues, or NZX's data is priced in USD, and the NZD is likely to outperform, leading to declining revenues in NZD for NZX)

Lastly ASX is listed on the ASX.

macduffy
19-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Great post, Silverlight!

About time someone pointed out the difference (conflict?) between NZX as an investment and NZX as the market operator with a largely captive business - at this stage. You say many of the things I thought, but was too lazy to point out.

POSSUM THE CAT
19-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Silverlight why would you list With the NZX when listing with the ASX is a better deal. this is what Mark Weldon has done. I am more interested in the ASX as service & news plus the range of companies even NZ ones is better even though There is double taxation on most Australian Dividends. I am still clear better dividend returns of ASX stocks

Silverlight
22-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Silverlight why would you list With the NZX when listing with the ASX is a better deal. this is what Mark Weldon has done. I am more interested in the ASX as service & news plus the range of companies even NZ ones is better even though There is double taxation on most Australian Dividends. I am still clear better dividend returns of ASX stocks

As an investor it does not matter which exchange a business is listed on, you can buy into both just as easily.

If ASX is a better deal, can you quantify that view? The only thing that makes ASX better, in my view, is the greater liquidity, but this does mean an NZ business listing on ASX will be liquid. Outside of top 200 the liquidity falls away fast. If you compare any NZX business vs a similar sized ASX business you will find the same low liquidity levels.

ASX vs NZX companies on your claim dividends are better, is not an NZX vs ASX issue, that is an economic issue, NZX doesn't control the economy.

Double taxation is a government issue not an NZX vs ASX issue, NZX is not the government.

POSSUM THE CAT
22-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Silverlight Brokers provide better service for less because the ASX has far lower fees than the NZX & it costs less to list on the ASX in comparison for a much larger market & better service. If the NZX is charging more it is not a govt. problem. Greed kills. Just go to a library & have a look at the financial section of the NZ Herald & see the difference in listings Basically unless there is some special need for listing on the NZX they go elsewhere, or stay private

Silverlight
23-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Silverlight Brokers provide better service for less because the ASX has far lower fees than the NZX & it costs less to list on the ASX in comparison for a much larger market & better service. If the NZX is charging more it is not a govt. problem. Greed kills. Just go to a library & have a look at the financial section of the NZ Herald & see the difference in listings Basically unless there is some special need for listing on the NZX they go elsewhere, or stay private

Again I ask, please quantify your views, I don't know what better service means for you. Do you mean advice, research or execution? I can't tell the difference between execution on NZX or ASX other than liquidity which I have already highlighted.

If Telecom (3.9b Mcap) listed tomorrow on NZX is would be charged $817k and then and ongoing fee of $91k. On the ASX it would be charged $862k AUD (or $1.135m NZD at 76 cents) then an ongoing fee of $111k NZD.

If Mainfreight (950m Mcap) listed tomorrow on NZX is would be charged $294k and then and ongoing fee of $60k. On the ASX it would be charged $328k AUD (or $431k NZD at 76 cents) then an ongoing fee of $61k NZD.

If Rakon (90m Mcap) listed tomorrow on NZX is would be charged $71k and then and ongoing fee of $30k. On the ASX it would be charged $91k AUD (or $120k NZD at 76 cents) then an ongoing fee of $34k NZD.

These three random examples shows there is hardly any difference in ASX and NZX costs, and that ongoing listing fees are basically irrelevant.

What costs are you referring to when you say "ASX has far lower fees"?

POSSUM THE CAT
23-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Silverlight point one for the same amount of fees you get a bigger market point Two why is brokerage from the Broker I use for an Australian trade less than half the price of a NZ trade of a reasonably large order & they have to pay an Australian broker as well it was even cheaper still when I could use an Australian Broker. Check with your broker how much they are charged every time you push the button for an instant price quote. And remember for the much smaller market the NZX should be far cheaper. I have yet to find an Australian broker that would even bother to trade the NZX for you. But bar for the fact that most of the Australian brokers require you to be an Australian resident. When I was dealing with Westpac Broking Australia it was about 40% of what Direct Broking are charging me
ANZ E Trade was even cheaper but had volume or cash deposited requirements that did not suit my requirements Just check the company information on the ASX web site compared with the NZX one

winner69
04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
ASX up 1% yesterday when NZ closed and up another 1.5% again today ..... and the NZX does what .... allur stocks must have been over valued or something

macduffy
04-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Perhaps it's more a case of the ASX getting carried away by a strong showing in the USA overnight. A classic "relief rally"?

Not much changed in the big picture - Euro/USA debt; sluggish world growth; etc - as far as I can see!

macduffy
09-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Yes, not a lot has changed since the heady days - was it the 80's? - when NZ was going to be an important financial centre. First to trade each day! The fact is that most traders are on holiday in January - those that are left!

Lizard
09-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Well, it's irritating, since this is the one time of year when some of us actually have enough time on our hands to try and clean out the portfolio.... I'm stuck in depth on quite a few trades and bugger-me-days if I don't seem to always get pinged for 100 shares and trigger the brokerage...:ohmy:

zigzag
09-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Well, it's irritating, since this is the one time of year when some of us actually have enough time on our hands to try and clean out the portfolio.... I'm stuck in depth on quite a few trades and bugger-me-days if I don't seem to always get pinged for 100 shares and trigger the brokerage...:ohmy:

Don't you just hate it when that happens! I'm trying to pick up a few TEN. That's me at 70c. The action seems to have moved away from me at the moment, but I'm worried I'll end up with 250 shares and since there is such a large spread, I could end up in no mans land.

janner
09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Well that is why you call yourself ZigZag..

Win some .. lose some .. :-))

janner
09-01-2012, 09:58 PM
" Just $20 mill traded thus far ... Obviously the big boys who'll be back at work are taking their time to get warmed up ... Belgie notes that trading in many small caps has just about come to a halt! "..

Are you saying Belg that it is the big boys are the main traders in " Small Caps ".. ??

Lizard
10-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Don't you just hate it when that happens! I'm trying to pick up a few TEN. That's me at 70c. The action seems to have moved away from me at the moment, but I'm worried I'll end up with 250 shares and since there is such a large spread, I could end up in no mans land.

Several years ago, I had a buy on TEN and some sod crossed the spread and sold me 1 share.... I don't know how they are allowed to do that! It worked for them - after the contract note turned up that night, I gave up the next day and paid up to get a marketable parcel... However, I think there are probably rules on these things and some minimum amount at which I can ask the broker to cancel a trade? Never actually tried it though.

Lizard
10-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Maybe ACC are on holiday? Who else buys the mid-caps? :)

I notice a few big "in" trades in morning trading on dual-listed shares over the past week - does this mean re-distribution occurring of NZ coys (e.g. FPA and GFF) from Aussie to NZ holders?

(Wonder if GFF expected to come out of an Aussie index now and that is triggering some of the selling?)

Silverlight
20-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Silverlight point one for the same amount of fees you get a bigger market point Two why is brokerage from the Broker I use for an Australian trade less than half the price of a NZ trade of a reasonably large order & they have to pay an Australian broker as well it was even cheaper still when I could use an Australian Broker. Check with your broker how much they are charged every time you push the button for an instant price quote. And remember for the much smaller market the NZX should be far cheaper. I have yet to find an Australian broker that would even bother to trade the NZX for you. But bar for the fact that most of the Australian brokers require you to be an Australian resident. When I was dealing with Westpac Broking Australia it was about 40% of what Direct Broking are charging me
ANZ E Trade was even cheaper but had volume or cash deposited requirements that did not suit my requirements Just check the company information on the ASX web site compared with the NZX one

So your grievance with NZX is because your NZX broker charges you more to execute a trade than your ASX broker? Maybe you should use a different broker?

Direct is 20 basis points 29.90 min. Com Sec is 20 bp 19.95 min. Westpac Aus is 11 bp, 29.95 min, if you have an Aussie bank account, or 15 bp if you don't.

Honestly, if your focus on every $50K trade you do, is that your NZX broker charges you $100 vs $55 in Aus, then you are concentrating on the wrong thing.

POSSUM THE CAT
20-01-2012, 02:14 PM
silverlight I am focusing on the over charging by the NZX for a very inferior service. I do not think it is sustainable so I will not buy shares in the company NZX. The same as I say F&P appliances are cr*p so I do not buy shares in FPH. Apparently you think the sun shines out of the rear end of the company NZX you are intitled to your opinion & I to mine. I think the NZX is a joke & we would be better of without it as a company it was far better as a mutual

Silverlight
22-01-2012, 12:30 AM
silverlight I am focusing on the over charging by the NZX for a very inferior service. I do not think it is sustainable so I will not buy shares in the company NZX. The same as I say F&P appliances are cr*p so I do not buy shares in FPH. Apparently you think the sun shines out of the rear end of the company NZX you are intitled to your opinion & I to mine. I think the NZX is a joke & we would be better of without it as a company it was far better as a mutual

I don't think that NZX has done a great job with NZs markets, I already stated that a few pages back and I also don't currently own any NZX stock either, so my views are not biased by a position.

Overcharging again is not sitting with NZX but the brokers.

On the 50k scenario trade, where $100 goes to the NZX broker, roughly $3.50 of that goes to NZX. In Australia of the $55 fee the asx broker charges, about $2.20 goes to the ASX.

Those are not big cuts of your fees are they?

POSSUM THE CAT
22-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Silverlight take all the fees into consideration what about the data charges Direct Broking say that every time you request a current quote it cost them Big Time & at times if you have not had a recent trade you only get the delayed quotes. There has been newspaper articles that companies considering listing that it would be more economical to list on the ASX but they are not known there so they do not become listed companies. Look at how the list of listed companies on the NZX has shrunk since the NZX became a Company not a Mutual. Possibly your problem is that you are working on a 50K scenario how many NZX trades are of that size?

bermuda
01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I know it is only a small point but it really peeves me that the NZX cannot give you news 1st hand. Instead it refers you to the company's website. Take Cue's latest announcement. To read it I just changed to CUE ASX. The ASX are much more on the ball.

Silverlight
01-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Cue's announcement this morning is on NZX?

https://www.nzx.com/companies/CUE/announcements/219078
Click on the PDF.

_Michael
01-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Cue's announcement this morning is on NZX?

https://www.nzx.com/companies/CUE/announcements/219078
Click on the PDF.

Funny thread!:D

Snow Leopard
20-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Results (http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=NZX&E=NZSE&N=219719) out.
Apart from having shares snatched away from me I like it.

best wishes
Paper Tiger

Jim
20-02-2012, 08:21 PM
They will give you more by a share split. Wow I loves ithttp://www.sharetrader.co.nz/images/icons/icon6.png

Silverlight
30-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Small win for our capital markets.

https://nzx.com/companies/WHS/announcements/221331

Halebop
30-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Small win for our capital markets.

https://nzx.com/companies/WHS/announcements/221331

I think NZX's gain is actually WHS' loss. If WHS had a successful Australian strategy or required a deeper capital market to fund growth the ASX listing would have made sense. In absense of anything that looks like profitable growth it doesn't.

Snow Leopard
08-05-2012, 07:15 PM
With the 1:10 share buyback due to happen at a price of $2.85 I am mildly surprised to see this trade above that price.

unable to understand some people :confused:
Paper Tiger

Snow Leopard
10-05-2012, 11:09 AM
With the 1:10 share buyback due to happen at a price of $2.85 I am mildly surprised to see this trade above that price.

unable to understand some people :confused:
Paper Tiger

I forgot about the 3.25c dividend despite owning shares in the NZX !

What a silly Tiger!

Snow Leopard
14-05-2012, 02:32 PM
The divvy is definitely done and dusted and we are definitely only getting $2.85 a share in the buyback.

And yet it is selling above $2.90. Presumably all these buyers reckon that the SP is going to grow post buyback.

BTW there is also a 3:7 share-split involved.

You humans are weird. :confused:

best wishes
Paper Tiger

Under Surveillance
14-05-2012, 03:00 PM
The divvy is definitely done and dusted and we are definitely only getting $2.85 a share in the buyback.

And yet it is selling above $2.90. Presumably all these buyers reckon that the SP is going to grow post buyback.

BTW there is also a 3:7 share-split involved.

You humans are weird. :confused:

best wishes
Paper Tiger

There are a few considerations which might lessen the apparent weirdness. $1.06 of the $2.85 buyback has imputation credits attached (45+ cents worth). Commonly after splits the theoretical value of the new shares serves as a floor which is exceeded by the actual price. The recent dividend on the old shares was hiked to a level beyond the equivalent of the 1 cent a year ratchet policy previously in place, and the policy now appears to be to pay out whatever is not required in the short term.

The split is 7:3.

Snow Leopard
14-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the information:

I, as usual, had missed that the imputation bit (which is of no use to me) may affect others valuations of the price.

Also you are correct and the split should be written as 7:3 and not 3:7

Grrrhhh!
Paper Tiger

macduffy
19-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Well-reasoned article by Brian Gaynor in this morning's NZ Herald.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10806879

Disc: Not holding NZX - unfortunately.

Snow Leopard
23-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Nice little gain from the split shares.
Just waiting for the buy back monies to hit the account.

best wishes
Paper Tiger

Snow Leopard
30-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Today's announcement (http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=NZX&E=NZSE&N=225428) that what with all of us, except me, not doing enough share trading and that they have spent a few dollars more than usual the old half year profit is going to be just a little bit on the lowish side.

Now, some of us do read the monthly metrics, the number of trades are up but the value of trades is down, the first half of that is not totally unexpected however we all appear to have been caught out by the spending and thus the drop of 14c or 10.6% drop in the share price today.

Of course the announcement also points out that a lot of that spend is one off and there is lots of new stuff happening and all may be wonderful, unless it isn't, going forward.

Now. What would McGyver do?

best wishes
Paper Tiger

moimoi
31-07-2012, 11:31 AM
After noting your concerns Tiger, and the 30 odd % profit downgrade made merely a month after the previous Chief sold down the majority of his stake, i could see him shuffling back off to the couch to resume watching re-runs of his T.V show...which is what share traders on the NZX may as well do.

ruaboy
30-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Just got a letter from a Philke Flitcroft analyst at NZX Limited demanding that I send him the name and adress of all relevant people with an relevant interest and the nature of this interest in NZX LTD , also wants email adress and age since the letter was adressed to me at the place I live and they send me emails this only leaves my age that must be of importance to the NZX . If I don't comply he says I may be committing an offence under section 35BA ( is BA short for bugger all) of the securties market act 1988.Any idea why this sudden interest in my age and the heavy handed letter.

ruaboy
30-08-2012, 05:08 PM
NZX Ltd are looking to ascertian who is, or may be a substantial security holder of NZX ordinary shares. Thats what the letter says.

Under Surveillance
30-08-2012, 05:11 PM
From the look of section 35BA, NZX must think Ruaboy is a substantial holder who has not exposed himself:

35BA Offence for failure to comply with substantial holding disclosure obligation

Every person who knows or ought to know information that the person is required to disclose under any of sections 22 to 25 (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/act/public/1988/0234/latest/link.aspx?search=sw_096be8ed807ae1c6_35BA_25&p=1&id=DLM140965) and 34 to 35A (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/act/public/1988/0234/latest/link.aspx?search=sw_096be8ed807ae1c6_35BA_25&p=1&id=DLM141301), and who fails to disclose that information in accordance with a substantial holding disclosure obligation, commits an offence (seesection 43A (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/act/public/1988/0234/latest/link.aspx?search=sw_096be8ed807ae1c6_35BA_25&p=1&id=DLM141872) for the maximum penalty of a $30,000 fine).

Under Surveillance
30-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Well, in the absence of knowing the size of your shareholding, I'd send him a quick one line email acknowledging his email but that the size of your holding nowhere near meets disclosure levels and that no one else has an interest in your holding.
You've no problem if you hold less than 12.6 million shares, Ruaboy [5% of 253.7 million issued].

ruaboy
30-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for that, I certainly am not a substantial holder so will ignore this threatening letter , if they want any information they should ask like normal people. Politely.

CJ
31-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Just got a letter from a Philke Flitcroft analyst at NZX Limited demanding that I send him the name and adress of all relevant people with an relevant interest and the nature of this interest in NZX LTD , also wants email adress and age since the letter was adressed to me at the place I live and they send me emails this only leaves my age that must be of importance to the NZX . If I don't comply he says I may be committing an offence under section 35BA ( is BA short for bugger all) of the securties market act 1988.Any idea why this sudden interest in my age and the heavy handed letter.What have you been doing to spark interest.

I didn't think there was any age restriction in owning shares. I know I held shares as a minor (may have had some tax advantages for my parents at the time. Note: I still hold at least one from back in those days, the former Brieleys now worth about $300).

Under Surveillance
31-08-2012, 02:58 PM
What have you been doing to spark interest.

I didn't think there was any age restriction in owning shares. I know I held shares as a minor (may have had some tax advantages for my parents at the time. Note: I still hold at least one from back in those days, the former Brieleys now worth about $300).
I received today what seems to be the same letter as Ruaboy.
It is amateurish in the extreme, and officious.
For example, I am required to disclose my "Investor Type (retail/institutional/staff/board)". What sort of Analyst is NZX employing who lacks the competence to eliminate me as a member of the NZX board? or as a NZX staff member?
The "Age Demographic" choice is 20-40, 41-60, and 61+.
They sent the letter to my physical address, but require me to disclose this to them. This is Pythonesque.

The only thing I can think I have been doing to spark interest is to buy NZX shares recently. I now own about 0.02% of the company, so have another 4.98% to go before becoming a substantial security holder.

macduffy
31-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Is it possible that NZX have something in their constitution that limits investment to certain "types" of investors, eg employees, overseas nationals etc and that they suspect that someone is trying to get around the limits by the use of nominees? Seems unlikely, I know, when you consider the previous CEO's big holding but after all, NZX is both the operator and referee in this game to an unhealthy degree.

Silverlight
31-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Is it possible that NZX have something in their constitution that limits investment to certain "types" of investors, eg employees, overseas nationals etc and that they suspect that someone is trying to get around the limits by the use of nominees? Seems unlikely, I know, when you consider the previous CEO's big holding but after all, NZX is both the operator and referee in this game to an unhealthy degree.

Surely if NZX believed that someone was trying to do that they would just inform the FMA and let them do the work. If a person was in breach of the SSH regulations, it would be the person who did breach the law falling foul of the law, for not filing, rather than the company itself.

Furthermore if they were going to do that, would they not get the registry to do it, as they have list of all holders, they have to pay dividends to someone? (Maybe then filter by Custodians as they may have multiple underlying holders).

Under Surveillance/Ruaboy, curiously, do you hold your share through an advisor, custodian, or on a wrap platform, ie FNZ, AMP advisor, National Bank etc.?

CJ
31-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Stupid question but are you sure it is from the NZX. Could it be an elaborate phishing scam?

Seems a one liner - "I am compliant" - should be a sufficient response.

Jay
31-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Beat me to it CJ
I was thinking the same thing- probably got your details from the share registry

Where/how is he asking you to send him the info - is it their legitimate address or some email address (fake??)

moimoi
31-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Smells like a scam...Bin it.

ruaboy
31-08-2012, 05:31 PM
My first impression also was that it was a scam and a very poor one, the letter was unsealed eg open and he wanted a written reply or email yet no self adressed evelope enclosed , email adress is Philke.flitcroft@nzx.com. Don't intend to reply , if it is not a scam they can ask in a more polite manner

stoploss
31-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Why doesn't someone call the NZX and ask, let them know there is a potential scam.......

BIRMANBOY
31-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Ho, ho Sparky...nice one. Honk the horn for us.:)
Ask them how many "f"s are in the word response.

They will reply "none".

And you can then reply back:

"That's right - no effin response..."

Thank you, I'll grab my coat.

Under Surveillance
31-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Stupid question but are you sure it is from the NZX. Could it be an elaborate phishing scam?

Seems a one liner - "I am compliant" - should be a sufficient response.
Looks genuine to me. Came in an envelope with a seemingly authentic NZX logo printed on it and with printed sender details corresponding to Link Market Services. Email given was philke.flitcroft@nzx.com.

Didn't seek my FIN number, without which mischief shouldn't be possible(?).

I buy/sell through a Direct Broking internet account in my name, and the shares are registered in my name.

glennj
01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
My company which holds NZX shares under the company name received one of those letters too. I'm confident it's genuine but if they want that info they can get it from the Companies Office.

shar187
03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I emailed advising them that the address they sent the correspondence to was obviously the correct address and why did they need to know age etc and this is the response I received:

"Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the letters were sent to our end shareholders in error, please disregard."

CJ
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I emailed advising them that the address they sent the correspondence to was obviously the correct address and why did they need to know age etc and this is the response I received:

"Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the letters were sent to our end shareholders in error, please disregard."Does beg the question, who were the asking how old you were and why?

Also, why haven't they communicated that it was an error and they dont need to know your age.

Under Surveillance
03-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Does beg the question, who were the asking how old you were and why?

Also, why haven't they communicated that it was an error and they dont need to know your age.

The only reason which might explain their failure to acknowledge widely their domestic disarray is that they don't want to compromise the "employment issue" relating to the continuing services of one Philke Flitcroft?

winner69
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
The only reason which might explain their failure to acknowledge widely their domestic disarray is that they don't want to compromise the "employment issue" relating to the continuing services of one Philke Flitcroft?

Linkedin says Philke been at NZX since 2007

winner69
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Linkedin says Philke been at NZX since 2007

And with such an unusual name suppose everything that comes up on google is probably correct ....... interesting slelection of 'reads' at goodreads

Jeez aren't we horrible!!

winner69
03-09-2012, 12:26 PM
And with such an unusual name suppose everything that comes up on google is probably correct ....... interesting slelection of 'reads' at goodreads

Jeez aren't we horrible!!

and shasta would be pleased ...... a Naenae chick

winner69
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Jeez - hope no mistaken identies here .... isn't the internet a terrible place

Under Surveillance
03-09-2012, 12:38 PM
and shasta would be pleased ...... a Naenae chick

I don't care where she's from, or how long she's been at NZX, we can't have people "duly authorised to give this notice" threatening people who have no obligations with penalties up to a $30K fine.

CJ
04-09-2012, 08:42 AM
... interesting slelection of 'reads' at goodreads For those that missed what you were refering to (like me), Cactus Kate was onto it:

http://asianinvasion2006.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/50-shades-of-nzx.html

Balance
04-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I received today what seems to be the same letter as Ruaboy.
It is amateurish in the extreme, and officious.
For example, I am required to disclose my "Investor Type (retail/institutional/staff/board)". What sort of Analyst is NZX employing who lacks the competence to eliminate me as a member of the NZX board? or as a NZX staff member?
The "Age Demographic" choice is 20-40, 41-60, and 61+.
They sent the letter to my physical address, but require me to disclose this to them. This is Pythonesque.

The only thing I can think I have been doing to spark interest is to buy NZX shares recently. I now own about 0.02% of the company, so have another 4.98% to go before becoming a substantial security holder.

Scan and send a copy of said letter to NBR or NZ Herald, cc NZX.

Watch the NZX then respond accordingly.

winner69
04-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Cactus kste will sort it

Hey Under Surveillence ..... appropriate name .... maybe that was what triggered their interest in yoo

Balance
04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Scan and send a copy of said letter to NBR or NZ Herald, cc NZX.

Watch the NZX then respond accordingly.

Well, the NBR is on to it and the NZX is all red-faced.

Looks like Mr Bennett is continuing the fine tradition of Mr Weldon of thinking the NZX is answerable to no-one.

The arrogance of the NZX is now rebounding big time back on it - Mr Bennett was seen on Lambton Quay this afternoon wiping egg off his face.

CJ
05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Well, the NBR is on to it and the NZX is all red-faced.The article is behind the paywall. Anything new or interesting in the article (for those that have access)?

macduffy
05-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Seems that this was fairly close to the mark. Though no excuse for the way they went about it!

Balance
05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
The whole bloody thing was an operational error if you ask me. Get your act together NZX. That is an unacceptable output from New Zealand's only stock exchange.

If it was another market participant making the same error, the NZX would be very quick to extract a fine for bringing the exchange into disrepute.

That John "don"Key and his mate, Mark Weldon, have a lot to answer for.

CJ
05-09-2012, 04:02 PM
If it was another market participant making the same error, the NZX would be very quick to extract a fine for bringing the exchange into disrepute.

That John "don"Key and his mate, Mark Weldon, have a lot to answer for.Hard to blame this one on Mark, he resigned a while ago.

Balance
05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Hard to blame this one on Mark, he resigned a while ago.

Left behind a culture of NZX arrogance and self-interest.

His successful lobbying of John donKey to leave the self-regulating of NZX alone was an incredibly selfish and narrow-minded move.

And John donKey was dumb enough to fall for it.

Silverlight
05-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Left behind a culture of NZX arrogance and self-interest.

His successful lobbying of John donKey to leave the self-regulating of NZX alone was an incredibly selfish and narrow-minded move.

And John donKey was dumb enough to fall for it.

How is NZX self regulating, doesn't the FMA (ex Securities Commission) regulate NZX and the Securities Act.

Balance
05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
How is NZX self regulating, doesn't the FMA (ex Securities Commission) regulate NZX and the Securities Act.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/7192014/FMA-says-NZX-must-change

Listing rules are by NZX, participants' rules are by NZX, enforcement of said rules is by NZX, disciplinary action is by NZX, fines and penalties are for benefit of NZX but guess what, NZX is itself a listed entity and a market participant!

How confident do you feel about NZX being prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner?

Silverlight
05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/7192014/FMA-says-NZX-must-change

Listing rules are by NZX, participants' rules are by NZX, enforcement of said rules is by NZX, disciplinary action is by NZX, fines and penalties are for benefit of NZX but guess what, NZX is itself a listed entity and a market participant!

How confident do you feel about NZX being prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner?

Lol even your article link corrects you, discipline is not by NZX, and the fines don't go to NZX. Last time I check they are not a market participant either.

Under Surveillance
06-09-2012, 12:42 PM
https://nzx.com/files/attachments/162860.pdf

An apology from Tim Bennett.

Thanks for drawing attention to this, Sparky.
It strikes me as lightweight tosh.
He says "Inadvertently the request asked for personal information that is not required under the Securities Market's Act." You would think that, embarrassed by the ballsup he is trying to explain away, he would at least read what he is signing and be at pains to get the name of the Act correct.

_Michael
06-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks for drawing attention to this, Sparky.
It strikes me as lightweight tosh.
He says "Inadvertently the request asked for personal information that is not required under the Securities Market's Act." You would think that, embarrassed by the ballsup he is trying to explain away, he would at least read what he is signing and be at pains to get the name of the Act correct.

And to be able to make grammatically correct sentences??

And to be able to use the market announcements platform to deliver their reports instead of directing shareholders to the company website do get?? Especially when they are selling other participants to use the platform!

I got the letter from the NZX asking me my age how many shares I have etc. I thought it was a scam as surely to goodness after all the forms you need to fill just to buy shares the registry should know your name and how many shares you have.

I do not have any confidence in the new chap. So far his first move has been to add layers of cost in the form of more executive bureaucrat roles - and announce a profit downgrade...

Kind of bummed I did not sell all my shares when Mark Weldon dumped his (always good to follow inside traders, that was the classic pump and dump: "we are confident of our five year forecast of uber-growth" then his shares get dumped, then the profit downgrade - any questions from the FMA? Course not...

Welcome to the wild west

bunter
09-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Of all the NZX threads kicking around, this one seems the best to resurrect.

Yesterday NZX announced it had bought Superlife, for up to $35m in shares and cash.

Superlife according to its website runs a funds management business and sells insurance and is involved in 'investments'.

No mention in NZX's announcement of Superlife's prior or forecast profits. It's not clear if NZX has just bought the funds management business, or if it's now into insurance too.

NZX says the purchase will be earnings 'accretive' (word of the moment).

How is an investor supposed to decide if this purchase is a good idea or not?
The info is out there but only some people have it. The rest of us can wait until February 2015 for an update.

NZX is setting a very poor example in terms of keeping investors fully informed.

New management please.

BFG
09-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Oh I'm sure we all have more than enough examples to add to this thread!

My biggest right now is the total lack of due diligence done on blatant P&D schemes like Mega/TRS & TRU. Always the same characters as well. You'd think they'd be on a blacklist or something by now...

Harvey Specter
09-12-2014, 09:30 AM
No mention in NZX's announcement of Superlife's prior or forecast profits. It's not clear if NZX has just bought the funds management business, or if it's now into insurance too.Brian Gaynor critisised the level of disclosure.

From the funds side, it actually seems like a good purchase. They will take those passive funds and invest them into the EFT products, SmartOZZY and SmartFINZ for the Ozy and NZ funds respectively, and also use the Global fund to start a global EFT. Overall they have over a billion under management.

I actually started in the SmartKiwi kiwisaver but moved to superlife due to the high fees. Hopefully they will use this to get scale and reduce the fees on their EFT products. Which should hopefully make them as desirable as the overseas EFT funds.

bunter
09-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes it sounds good and promising but would you trust NZX not to stuff it up?

Harvey Specter
09-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Yes it sounds good and promising but would you trust NZX not to stuff it up?Well they are the NZX so if they dont stuff it up, they will overcharge. Either or isn't it?

voltage
09-12-2014, 12:29 PM
maybe this is good news and we will now get access to some global rtfs hopefully at a realistic price

voltage
09-12-2014, 12:30 PM
mistake should be etfs not rtfs

Harvey Specter
09-12-2014, 01:28 PM
maybe this is good news and we will now get access to some global etfs hopefully at a realistic priceThey are starting off with 2 new Ozzy ones (property and dividends). I would have though a global would have been the obvious next one off the block but then AMP did struggle with their WINZ product.

They are also introducing a market maker to ensure you can get in and out at close to NTA so there shouldn't be any significant discounts gong forward due to inactivity.

voltage
09-12-2014, 08:18 PM
I thought an aussie dividend does not make sense due to double taxation.

bunter
10-02-2015, 06:50 PM
NZX, via its subsidiary Superlife, has thrown away 2.5m (https://www.nzx.com/companies/MAD/announcements/260453) on a loss-making technically insolvent company - MAD.

It's also potentially underwriting another 1.7m rights issue - total of $4.2m at risk.

Glad I sold. What next?

Joshuatree
10-02-2015, 07:18 PM
"Bring back -B-U-C-K--- ; I mean Mark. "Bring back Mark" "Make them afraid of the dark"....

p2r
11-02-2015, 07:53 PM
NZX, via its subsidiary Superlife, has thrown away 2.5m (https://www.nzx.com/companies/MAD/announcements/260453) on a loss-making technically insolvent company - MAD.

It's also potentially underwriting another 1.7m rights issue - total of $4.2m at risk.

Glad I sold. What next?

The money will not be nzx or superlifes but people with money in the applicable funds?

JimHickey
11-02-2015, 08:04 PM
The money will not be nzx or superlifes but people with money in the applicable funds?
Too much logic for this place.

bunter
11-02-2015, 10:45 PM

If I understand right, Superlife is 100% owned by NZX.

Superlife has several divisions.

One is funds management. The money in those funds should be separate, and safe.

Another division is insurance.

A third division is 'investments'. So Superlife makes investments in certain companies.

One of those companies is Energy Mad. That investment hasn't gone too well and MAD is nearly out of money! Rather than write the initial investment off, Superlife has put more money into MAD.

So NZX, not the Superlife fund investors, are the ones taking the risk.
So I believe.

janner
11-02-2015, 10:52 PM

Glad I sold. What next?

When did you buy ??

Why did you sell ??

Why the rant ??

bunter
11-02-2015, 11:13 PM
When did you buy ??

Why did you sell ??

Why the rant ??

Bought in 2012 because some big share floats were coming and it seemed a bull market was in progress.

Sold because NZX stagnated despite favourable conditions.

Also didn't appreciate them buying Superlife and not giving any financial info.
Nor their nagging other companies about how they run their companies, when they're not even doing a good job of running their own.

Rant - gone now.

janner
11-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Bought in 2012 because some big share floats were coming and it seemed a bull market was in progress.

Sold because NZX stagnated despite favourable conditions.

Also didn't appreciate them buying Superlife and not giving any financial info.
Nor their nagging other companies about how they run their companies, when they're not even doing a good job of running their own.

Rant - gone now.

Fair enough !..

p2r
12-02-2015, 05:13 PM
If I understand right, Superlife is 100% owned by NZX.

Superlife has several divisions.

So NZX, not the Superlife fund investors, are the ones taking the risk.
So I believe.

Sorry. I am sure you are wrong bunter. If you look on the superlife site under investments there are PDFs with the amount invested on investors behalf. The NZ share and Gemino have a few millions of such gems as MAD & WDT owned by the investors. Chosen by forsyth barr I think i saw somewhere. Of course investors can switch out of them including into the smart shares Mozy etc now ... anyway not much of an impact on NZX I think.

winner69
12-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Sorry. I am sure you are wrong bunter. If you look on the superlife site under investments there are PDFs with the amount invested on investors behalf. The NZ share and Gemino have a few millions of such gems as MAD & WDT owned by the investors. Chosen by forsyth barr I think i saw somewhere. Of course investors can switch out of them including into the smart shares Mozy etc now ... anyway not much of an impact on NZX I think.

That Gemino fund looks interesting

Big weighting to PEB

bunter
12-02-2015, 07:04 PM

That's interesting p2r.
I wonder where the new equity came from - a fund or the parent company.
Unimpressed with their stock picks either way.

ETA - sniffed around Superlife's website and found those pdfs.
http://www.superlife.co.nz/data_files/Portfolios/Gemino.pdf
http://www.superlife.co.nz/data_files/Portfolios/NZ_shares.pdf

Other 'Gems' include CAV, RAK, BLT, MOA.

I think you're probably right - there doesn't seem to be anything to stop the funds from selling shares in AIA, for example, and investing in MAD.

I feel sorry for the investors.

JimHickey
12-02-2015, 08:45 PM
That's interesting p2r.
I wonder where the new equity came from - a fund or the parent company.
Unimpressed with their stock picks either way.

ETA - sniffed around Superlife's website and found those pdfs.
http://www.superlife.co.nz/data_files/Portfolios/Gemino.pdf
http://www.superlife.co.nz/data_files/Portfolios/NZ_shares.pdf

Other 'Gems' include CAV, RAK, BLT, MOA.

I think you're probably right - there doesn't seem to be anything to stop the funds from selling shares in AIA, for example, and investing in MAD.

I feel sorry for the investors.
You should really understand how a funds management business works before passing making your mind up

bunter
12-02-2015, 10:08 PM
You should really understand how a funds management business works before passing making your mind up
Passive funds do a little worse than the relevant index, and active funds do worse than the passive ones.
Fund managers do well. What more does a humble Punter need to know?

AppleCrumble
20-02-2015, 04:32 PM

How does it work?

Balance
20-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Vanguard did a comprehensive study of fund managers a decade or so ago, and found that none of them outperformed the markets over the long term.

Investors end up getting the same as passive index funds, less management, performance and admin fees - typically around 3% to 5% pa !

Anna Naum
20-02-2015, 05:39 PM
I think that study was not across all asset classes Balance.

macduffy
26-02-2015, 02:18 PM
An interesting report by Chapman Tripp on prospects for new listings in 2015.

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1675448/chapmantrippequityreport.pdf

JimHickey
26-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Vanguard did a comprehensive study of fund managers a decade or so ago, and found that none of them outperformed the markets over the long term.

Investors end up getting the same as passive index funds, less management, performance and admin fees - typically around 3% to 5% pa !a) your point?
b) bollocks

Balance
26-02-2015, 04:46 PM
I think that study was not across all asset classes Balance.

The latest study is on equities only. Have a read here.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7db9d3ee-4887-11e4-9d04-00144feab7de.html#axzz3Soo4xOO9

"It’s already become a legendary piece of advice. One of the world’s greatest investors tells his adoring shareholders that when he dies, he will recommend that his widow leaves nine-tenths of the money made from a lifetime of value investing in a fund that tracks the S&P 500 index.

“I believe the long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors – whether pension funds, institutions or individuals – who employ high-fee managers,” wrote Warren Buffett in his 2014 letter to shareholders.

William Sharpe, professor emeritus of finance at Stanford University and the creator of the capital asset pricing model, explained why in disarmingly simple (some would say simplistic) terms back in 1991. Investing is a zero-sum game, he reasoned, so active managers who beat the market do so only at the expense of those who do worse. The market return is the average of its participants’ returns, so the average active manager achieves the same return as the passive, before costs. Net of costs, the average result is inevitably poorer.

Others, before and after, have reached similar conclusions. “The results do not support the existence of skilled or informed mutual fund portfolio managers,” said Mark Carhart, of the University of California, of his research in 1997. “We find that mutual funds underperform the market overall,” noted Miguel Ferreira and others in 2012. “The aggregate portfolio of actively managed US equity mutual funds is close to the market portfolio, but the high costs of active management show up intact as lower returns to investors,” said Eugene Fama and Kenneth French in 2010."

kiora
26-02-2015, 05:09 PM
The latest study is on equities only. Have a read here.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7db9d3ee-4887-11e4-9d04-00144feab7de.html#axzz3Soo4xOO9

"It’s already become a legendary piece of advice. One of the world’s greatest investors tells his adoring shareholders that when he dies, he will recommend that his widow leaves nine-tenths of the money made from a lifetime of value investing in a fund that tracks the S&P 500 index.

“I believe the long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors – whether pension funds, institutions or individuals – who employ high-fee managers,” wrote Warren Buffett in his 2014 letter to shareholders.

William Sharpe, professor emeritus of finance at Stanford University and the creator of the capital asset pricing model, explained why in disarmingly simple (some would say simplistic) terms back in 1991. Investing is a zero-sum game, he reasoned, so active managers who beat the market do so only at the expense of those who do worse. The market return is the average of its participants’ returns, so the average active manager achieves the same return as the passive, before costs. Net of costs, the average result is inevitably poorer.

Others, before and after, have reached similar conclusions. “The results do not support the existence of skilled or informed mutual fund portfolio managers,” said Mark Carhart, of the University of California, of his research in 1997. “We find that mutual funds underperform the market overall,” noted Miguel Ferreira and others in 2012. “The aggregate portfolio of actively managed US equity mutual funds is close to the market portfolio, but the high costs of active management show up intact as lower returns to investors,” said Eugene Fama and Kenneth French in 2010."

So do you do your own investing in individual shares or just invest in index funds Balance?If not why not?

Balance
26-02-2015, 05:27 PM
So do you do your own investing in individual shares or just invest in index funds Balance?If not why not?

Not sure what you are actually asking!

I invest in individual shares and not with fund managers.

kiora
26-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Not sure what you are actually asking!

I invest in individual shares and not with fund managers.

Well I thought you were implying the long-term results from this policy of investing in index funds will be superior to those attained by most investors – whether pension funds, institutions or individuals ???

Poet
26-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Well I thought you were implying the long-term results from this policy of investing in index funds will be superior to those attained by most investors – whether pension funds, institutions or individuals ???

Surely the point that Balance is making is that if you are going to pay someone to invest for you, you may as well go for the person that charges the least because the ones that charge the most don't do any better over the long term.

blackcap
26-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Surely the point that Balance is making is that if you are going to pay someone to invest for you, you may as well go for the person that charges the least because the ones that charge the most don't do any better over the long term.

And that person would probably happen to be yourself... even we as individuals can beat the index funds because however they like to skew things.. they also charge fees for looking after our funds. (and incur brokerage costs on the buys and sells they do)

Bjauck
26-02-2015, 08:01 PM
I have read somewhere (cannot remember where or when!) that most actively managed trusts did not return a better performance than passive index trackers. It also makes a difference if you invest in investment trusts (traded on the stock exchange) or unlisted unit trusts. The investment trusts can gear and therefore have the greater potential to outperform (and underperform). I guess it highlights the fact that you need to pick your actively managed trusts well. There are some that will produce a performance (net of costs) that exceed their benchmark index. For example the NAV of Henderson Far East Income Limited (HFL) which is traded on the NZX exceeded its benchmark over the past 1, 3 and even 5 years.

Balance
26-02-2015, 08:25 PM
And that person would probably happen to be yourself... even we as individuals can beat the index funds because however they like to skew things.. they also charge fees for looking after our funds. (and incur brokerage costs on the buys and sells they do)

That is the point - those who can do some analysis, keep an interest in stocks and the markets, and like a bit of excitement along the way should be investing themselves as individuals directly.

Otherwise, as Warren Buffett states, go for the low cost index funds which mirror the returns of the markets.

Fund managers generally do well when they are managing small funds. Then they grow big and maintaining their lifestyles (from the lovely fees they get) becomes the priority.

Schools and universities should at least teach the basics of investing - unfortunately they don't which is why most people end up with managed funds, or worse, financial advisers!

Baa_Baa
26-02-2015, 11:00 PM
I couldn't agree more with what you have said Balance, that is the point. Maybe I'll even buy your book someday (signed of course). The single thing that amazes me the most about investing, especially given that for most sheeple it involves putting their hard earned on the line, is why they would trust anyone, let alone pay them, to make the decisions for them? It beggars belief.

BAA

That is the point - those who can do some analysis, keep an interest in stocks and the markets, and like a bit of excitement along the way should be investing themselves as individuals directly.

Otherwise, as Warren Buffett states, go for the low cost index funds which mirror the returns of the markets.

Fund managers generally do well when they are managing small funds. Then they grow big and maintaining their lifestyles (from the lovely fees they get) becomes the priority.

Schools and universities should at least teach the basics of investing - unfortunately they don't which is why most people end up with managed funds, or worse, financial advisers!

macduffy
27-02-2015, 10:10 AM
I couldn't agree more with what you have said Balance, that is the point. Maybe I'll even buy your book someday (signed of course). The single thing that amazes me the most about investing, especially given that for most sheeple it involves putting their hard earned on the line, is why they would trust anyone, let alone pay them, to make the decisions for them? It beggars belief.

BAA

It's rather similar to why most people don't attempt to perform surgery on themselves. If they havn't either been around the financial world or studied finance/accounting the tendency is to rely on some "expert" to do the job for them. As Balance says, investment education is required but given the competing pressures of other subjects this is unlikely to occur.

Balance
03-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Food for thought this morning :

There is a massive conflict of interest here about Superlife underwriting the $3m capital raising to keep WDT going.

We all know Superlife is owned by NZX which collects fees from WDT - listing fees etc.

How can Superlife justify using Kiwisavers' money to prop up this failed company?

Lola
30-04-2016, 12:15 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10738763

Contrast the two statements :

"Continuing the commodities exposure available through NZX, the Clear Grain Exchange in Australia is demonstrating real momentum, with trading currently trading at four times the levels reached in the previous harvest." March 2011

"We've got another audit committee meeting coming up in June where we will look at what the actual numbers are as against the purchase price - the business is not performing well," he said.
"There is a substantial economic loss, there is a substantial cash flow loss in Australia." May 2011

And as per usual, Mr Weldon is nowhere to be seen or heard as this is not good for his image. The spin machine has gone into overdrive :

NZX chairman Andrew Harmos said it was not right to say the NZX was under investigation.

"It is not a big, sensational matter at all. It is normal routine inquiry ... and they are awaiting the outcome of our review which we will announce as soon as it is completed."

Accounting firm KPMG had been called in to compile a report for the NZX's audit committee, Harmos said.

Very careful use of words. Not a big sensational thing according to the spin machine. Why then bring in KPMG to compile a report? Will the audit committee answer the question why NZX, Mr Weldon and Mr Harmos saw fit not to advise the market that the Clear grain business is not doing well. Especially when Mr Weldon sold 2m shares after an upbeat AGM and brokers' presentations.

OK Boys and Girls its all on this coming week in the Wellington High Court. The chooks are landing over the next six weeks or so. Cross examination time will be popular. Tickets from ticketek probably.

Balance
01-05-2016, 09:36 AM
OK Boys and Girls its all on this coming week in the Wellington High Court. The chooks are landing over the next six weeks or so. Cross examination time will be popular. Tickets from ticketek probably.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/67415077/Judge-concerned-by-NZX-witness-warning

So much for transparency and disclosure by the NZX - attempts to gag witnesses to a court case which will reveal the going-on's in the NZX under Mark 'my way or the highway' Weldon.

Continuing the saga of 'One rule for NZX (ably assisted and supported by the FMA) and another rule for others'.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/79088889/nzx-ralec-grain-firm-battle-finally-in-court

The best part is this : "Ralec has also sought to make an issue of the disappearance of Weldon's notebooks from the time of the deal. NZX and Weldon claims the notebooks have been lost and so therefore are unavailable for discovery in the case. In his last substantial hearing on the issue, Justice Dobson said it would be up to the lawyers in the trial to demonstrate whether the absence of the notebooks should be considered significant." Very convenient!

Hectorplains
01-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Justice Dobson said it would be up to the lawyers in the trial to demonstrate whether the absence of the notebooks should be considered significant." Very convenient!

A dog ate my notebooks, Sir...

Catch 22 isn't it - how do you demonstrate that they'd be significant without access to them to ascertain this?

Fascinating case. Should be some good drama ahead.

Lola
01-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Catch 22 isn't it - how do you demonstrate that they'd be significant without access to them to ascertain this?

Might just be one truth there.....he did have a dog . MRI it if the mutt is still around or if not an autopsy could be ordered.

Balance
02-05-2016, 11:14 AM

The FMA decided to clear NZX in August 2011 in respect of disclosure requirements over Grain - something about timing differences (re below).

Will be absolutely fascinating to see what comes out of the court case, and to see if FMA has prematurely cleared NZX of breach of continuous disclosures.

As for amount in dispute being immaterial, there will be many who will beg to disagree as NZX is suing (and being counter-sued) for at least A$20m.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1108/S00108/fma-sees-no-conflict-in-nzx-disclosures-over-clear.htm

Excerpt : Fairfax Media reported Weldon as saying in court testimony that CGX was operating at a “substantial economic loss”, whereas its annual report, published in March, said Clear was "demonstrating real momentum, with trading currently tracking at four times the levels reached in the previous harvest."

NZX said in a subsequent statement that the court reference to economic loss referred to the 2009 and 2010 calendar years, and related only to CGX rather than NZX as a whole.

“The amount in dispute was not, and is not, considered material, consistent with the treatment of similar amounts in this business line, and others, over previous financial periods,” the NZX board said in today’s statement."

stoploss
04-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Busy week ....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/79593244/mark-weldon-resigns-as-mediaworks-chief-executive

Balance
04-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Busy week ....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/79593244/mark-weldon-resigns-as-mediaworks-chief-executive

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time. But you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

Balance
04-05-2016, 09:35 AM
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/nzxs-weldon-saw-agri-bloomberg-clear-grain-exchange-ralec-case-opens-b-188521

Agri-Bloomberg was his vision from acquiring Grain. At the first sign of trouble, as we saw with Diligent, he fled from the scene in case shxt stuck to him.

Tells one a lot about the state of the NZX today.

Lola
04-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Busy week ....

Oh pity this didnt happen 3 months ago.! JK may have offered him the GGs job and let him loose on re structuring parliament. No better man to bring the number of MPs down 50% or more.

Balance
05-05-2016, 11:36 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/79595961/ralec-claims-weldon-did-not-pass-advice-to-nzx-board

Excerpt : "Mr Weldon, who produced the [due diligence] reports for the board talked about that there'd been a reference to ProFarmer. He left out the relevant part. That is, that there was material kept from the board which it was not advised of."

If this is true, it explains why the dog ate Weldon's notes of the acquisition!

drcjp
06-05-2016, 12:15 PM
It seems Speedo can't stop piddling in the pool.

Lewylewylewy
06-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Complete change of subject, but could NZX.NZX be considered as a defensive stock. The reason being that as the economy collapses, interest rates drop to build the economy, companies see value in creating bonds, NZX gets more listing fees.

Balance
08-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Complete change of subject, but could NZX.NZX be considered as a defensive stock. The reason being that as the economy collapses, interest rates drop to build the economy, companies see value in creating bonds, NZX gets more listing fees.

As the economy collapses, investors flee the stockmarket - which is where NZX makes most of its money. Interest rates as low as they are now should see companies creating bonds but they do not.

Lewylewylewy
08-05-2016, 08:34 PM
I thought NZX gets a fixed fee from broker subscriptions?

Hectorplains
08-05-2016, 09:26 PM
IPO pipeline is looking drier than North Canterbury - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11634274. That's not helpful for NZX.

Balance
09-05-2016, 07:47 AM
I thought NZX gets a fixed fee from broker subscriptions?

That's but one fee which the NZX charges.

There are fixed fees which the NZX raised to exorbitant levels and received a backlash from participants threatening to file complaints via Commerce Commission for abuse of monoploy position. The NZX backed down as it was clear it was already making exceptional returns on the miserable service it provided participants.

Then there are variable fees like transaction fees - the NZX charges participants a fee for every single transaction and on value of trades as well. Guess why the exchange refuses brokers from bundling orders?

trader_jackson
09-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Not sure if this is the right place, but is the NZX website having problems right now? I note the S&P/NZX 50 is currently at 0 (top left corner), with none of the usual 8:30am (aprox) announcements...

(if the NZX 50 being 0 is not an error, then we have a very serious problem! ;))

Balance
09-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Not sure if this is the right place, but is the NZX website having problems right now? I note the S&P/NZX 50 is currently at 0 (top left corner), with none of the usual 8:30am (aprox) announcements...

(if the NZX 50 being 0 is not an error, then we have a very serious problem! ;))

Site not updating.

Staff probably still asleep - huge celebration over the weekend over the demise of a much loathed exCEO of MediaWorks (& NZX)?

Lewylewylewy
09-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Definitely the right place to discuss issues with the product.

Also, thanks balance!

Balance
09-05-2016, 07:58 PM

Setting up the cross examination to come about how the dog ate the notes?

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/paviour-smith-denies-nzx-only-spent-110th-100m-development-budget-grain-exchange-b-188776

"North also questioned Paviour-Smith about Mark Weldon's note-taking habits at board meetings. Paviour-Smith said he had seen Weldon taking notes at meetings, which he would expect a CEO to do."

Hectorplains
09-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Setting up the cross examination to come about how the dog ate the notes?

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/paviour-smith-denies-nzx-only-spent-110th-100m-development-budget-grain-exchange-b-188776

"North also questioned Paviour-Smith about Mark Weldon's note-taking habits at board meetings. Paviour-Smith said he had seen Weldon taking notes at meetings, which he would expect a CEO to do."

"...a commitment in principle." Weasel words. The whole thing oozes lack of principles! You'd be up to be committed if you trust anyone involved in this, and I'd happily sign the necessary papers.

Balance
16-05-2016, 06:36 PM
NZX shooting itself in both feet in its testimonies to date. Annual reports all have glowing comments about Clear Grain but court case testimonies by NZX directors contradict the rosy pictures painted in the annual reports.

In future, read NZX commentaries with big big grains of rock salt which punters need to suck on as they read and digest the information!

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/ralec-played-graincorp-relationship-concealed-internal-grumblings-weldon-b-189052

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/harmos-defends-weldon-ralec-presses-former-nzx-chairman-over-a100m-commitment-b-188960

Hectorplains
16-05-2016, 09:13 PM
NZX shooting itself in both feet in its testimonies to date. Annual reports all have glowing comments about Clear Grain but court case testimonies by NZX directors contradict the rosy pictures painted in the annual reports.

In future, read NZX commentaries with big big grains of rock salt which punters need to suck on as they read and digest the information!

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/ralec-played-graincorp-relationship-concealed-internal-grumblings-weldon-b-189052

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/harmos-defends-weldon-ralec-presses-former-nzx-chairman-over-a100m-commitment-b-188960

Short of NBR there's been a dearth of coverage on NZ MSM. Fascinating reading but! Agreed, it's not looking good for NZX!

Lola
17-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Short of NBR there's been a dearth of coverage on NZ MSM. Fascinating reading but! Agreed, it's not looking good for NZX!

Not really surprising (lack of coverage) given the general public's lack of understanding about what goes on in the ethereal realms of business and how the chips are shared about.

BUT HOPEFULLY some journo will get a sniff soon on what this case could unearth , and maybe start to concentrate on; viz the timing of the announcements from the NZX about how well the Clear deal was going and then the dealing in quite substantial lines of stock and then the exit of the the then CEO. Yeah Nah surely there will be notes lost. Move on they say , and run a new program for the PM.