PDA

View Full Version : Chalkie

percy
05-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Great news ;" On Wednesdays,The Press is delighted to welcome Chalkie,the contry's best analyst of listed companies"
"Tough,thorough and enduringly sceptical of business spin,Chalkie is every investor's best friend."
Roll on Wednesday!!!

Romulus
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Who is "Chalkie" ?

percy
05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Who is "Chalkie" ?

sorry Romulus I omitted the word analyst in my post.

Romulus
05-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Percy, I was hoping to get a real name to better appreciate Chalkie's abilities as an analyst.

Snow Leopard
05-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi Percy, I was hoping to get a real name to better appreciate Chalkie's abilities as an analyst.
Chalkie is Chalkie. Been commentating for years, well known and well rated.
Read some of her articles and then make your own mind up.

regards
Paper Tiger

Romulus
05-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks folks, I thought it was her- just needed confirmation.

percy
05-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Chalkie is Chalkie. Been commentating for years, well known and well rated.
Read some of her articles and then make your own mind up.

regards
Paper Tiger

Think you have Chalkie's gender wrong.Original Chalkie was offcourse Warren Berryman,then I do not know who or whom Chalkie was.However the present Chalkie writes with Warren Berryman"s spirit,honesty,and brain,so I think he is male.

CJ
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
So Chalkie is the NZ version of 'The Stig'. ????

h2so4
05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
So Chalkie is the NZ version of 'The Stig'. ????

But he only drives stock cars.:D

Sorry folks couldn't help myself

Snapper
05-07-2010, 11:42 AM
But he only drives stock cars.:D

Sorry folks couldn't help myself

That's so bad it's quite good really.

minimoke
05-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Think you have Chalkie's gender wrong.Original Chalkie was offcourse Warren Berryman,then I do not know who or whom Chalkie was.However the present Chalkie writes with Warren Berryman"s spirit,honesty,and brain,so I think he is male.
Dang - there was me thinking Chalkie was Mary Holme or Bernard Hickey!

Enumerate
05-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I think that Chalkie is a great bunch of guys ...

Enumerate
05-07-2010, 11:47 AM
... there was me thinking Chalkie was Mary Holme or Bernard Hickey!

You can tell when a country lacks a mature investment culture ... when you look at the popular investment commentators. Another great demonstration of the Soros Principle of Reflexivity.

percy
05-07-2010, 11:59 AM

AN APOLOGY.
I wish to apologise to all female sharetraders.There is no way of telling whether Chalkie is male or female from style of writing.I apologise for the post.

CJ
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I think that Chalkie is a great bunch of guys ...I also assume it is a bunch of 'people'. That way if one person is away, they can still do the column. Same goes for The Stig - any race car driver will do but they have to pretend it is the same person so the lap board is a fair comparison.

Lawso
05-07-2010, 02:35 PM
For old time's sake and in tribute to old mates Warren and Jenni, and to even older mate Tony Timpson, I bought the final issue of The Independent at the weekend. A great read and made me regret I had let my sub. expire years ago. Whoever s/he is, Chalky will be a great loss. That the Chch Press are picking it up is no use to me in Auckland. Jenny Ruth will also be missed. She's a commentator who always seems to be in tune with retail investors like me. Fortunately I can read her every week in the SSTimes.

percy
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
For old time's sake and in tribute to old mates Warren and Jenni, and to even older mate Tony Timpson, I bought the final issue of The Independent at the weekend. A great read and made me regret I had let my sub. expire years ago. Whoever s/he is, Chalky will be a great loss. That the Chch Press are picking it up is no use to me in Auckland. Jenny Ruth will also be missed. She's a commentator who always seems to be in tune with retail investors like me. Fortunately I can read her every week in the SSTimes.

You never know Lawso.I expect Chalkie will be picked up by the Dominan and it will be interesting to see if his / her articles appear on stuff website.Jenny Ruth article page 31 of the Independent was of interest to me as it was ABA that is the company in the NZX Top 50 index that impressed her the most.Problem for a publisher is a Chalkie article scares advertisers.It will remain to see if Chalkie can stop being watered down.

percy
07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Well Chalkie did a good article on SCF in this morning's The Press. I note it is not on Stuff web page.
Anyone know whether it made the Dominion Post?

macduffy
07-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Well Chalkie did a good article on SCF in this morning's The Press. I note it is not on Stuff web page.

Yes, it did.

Dr_Who
07-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Is there a link to view on the net?

percy
07-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Is there a link to view on the net?

I am sorry I could not find one.

Lawso
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Bother! I'm a SCF investor/loser. I'll have to go to the local shop tomorrow and see if they have a copy of yesterday's DomPost.

percy
07-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Bother! I'm a SCF investor/loser. I'll have to go to the local shop tomorrow and see if they have a copy of yesterday's DomPost.

If you cann't get it try your local library.,Or PM your address and I will post it to you.

percy
08-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Good news. Alex has posted the article on NZDX SCF section of sharetrader .
Well done Alex.

Enumerate
08-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Is the Chalkie column going to be syndicated throughout all Fairfax newspapers - surely it can't just be the Christchurch Press?

Was it in the Dominion Post?

How will Aucklanders get it fresh?

percy
08-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Is the Chalkie column going to be syndicated throughout all Fairfax newspapers - surely it can't just be the Christchurch Press?

Was it in the Dominion Post?

How will Aucklanders get it fresh?

Macduffy posted that it was in the Dominion Post so may be in other Fairfax papers.

macduffy
08-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Yes, indeed!

Probably keep me paying my sub to the DomPost a bit longer!

percy
08-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Yes, indeed!

Probably keep me paying my sub to the DomPost a bit longer!

I know how you feel.First thing in the morning I go to Yahoo Finance,then share chat,then the Herald,then the australian,then I look at the Press,except wednesdays when first port of call
will be the Press,and Chalkie.

Anna Naum
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I understand that Chalkie used to be called Ferdinand and wrote for the Independents predecessor called the Examiner, then when that became the Independent he changed his name to Chalkie. Has mainly been one guy who has worked as a Sharebroker, Investment Banker and also as a Funds Manager. At one stage he was a company director of a NZX listed company. Jenny Ruth did write it for a while when his employer would not let him write it.

percy
08-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I understand that Chalkie used to be called Ferdinand and wrote for the Independents predecessor called the Examiner, then when that became the Independent he changed his name to Chalkie. Has mainly been one guy who has worked as a Sharebroker, Investment Banker and also as a Funds Manager. At one stage he was a company director of a NZX listed company. Jenny Ruth did write it for a while when his employer would not let him write it.

Thanks Anna.With that kind of experience no wonder he is such a good analyst.

Lawso
09-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I was lucky to get the last unsold copy of Wednesday's DomPost and read Chalkie's piece. Apart from that, I was impressed with the DP. Seemed to be much more genuine news than in the NZHerald. To say nothing of the other columnists, e.g. Jenny Ruth and Joe Bennett PLUS all the best cartoon strips, incl. PEANUTS!! I'll make a point of buying the DP every Wednesday

percy
28-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I notice that Chalkie's somber article on SCF is on www.stuff web site.

minimoke
29-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I notice that Chalkie's somber article on SCF is on www.stuff web site.
I'm not too sure quite what to make of it. Chalkie has now written four Opinion Pieces in as many weeks and three out of these have been on South Canterbury Finance. Maybe its because the column is syndicated through the Press which has a wide South Island readership. Perhaps its the most significant story in the NZ market. Perhaps there's not much else to write about. Maybe I'm reading too much into it - but all the same the Pieces make interesting reading.

percy
29-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm not too sure quite what to make of it. Chalkie has now written four Opinion Pieces in as many weeks and three out of these have been on South Canterbury Finance. Maybe its because the column is syndicated through the Press which has a wide South Island readership. Perhaps its the most significant story in the NZ market. Perhaps there's not much else to write about. Maybe I'm reading too much into it - but all the same the Pieces make interesting reading.

I think you may be right that is the most significant story at present.He did a good article on Bridgecorp about 3 years before they fell over.Over the years I have enjoyed his topical articles.He has done a couple of crackers on Allied Farmers and a really good one on Alan Hawkins.I donot Know if you saw the one I gave Bermuda on Ruth Richardson? It was Brilliant.

Dr_Who
29-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Do you guys have a link? I cant find it. Cheers

percy
29-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Go to NZDX South Canterbury Finance Limited ;Post number 1652 gives it .

trackers
29-07-2010, 02:23 PM

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion/3964940/Its-time-to-extend-statutory-management-to-SCF

westerly
07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Chalkie the anonymous commentator (shame about that) has been getting stuck into Allan Hubbard in recent weeks. He (or she) writes " your columnist knows of at least one other substantial investment operation in NZ that would not pass commonsense questions that investors ( in HMF ) should have asked Mr. Hubbard. "

Surely for Chalkies credibility he should lay it on the line and name the investment operation ?

Westerly

CJ
07-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Surely for Chalkies credibility he should lay it on the line and name the investment operation ? If Chalkie made a complaint to the companies office/securities commission and signed it 'Chalkie', would they claim it was an Anonymous complaint???

percy
15-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Chalkie article in this mornings The Press on Red Group,owners of Whitcoulls and Borders is right on the money.Would appear book sales are going to Paper Plus and [not mentioned ] The Warehouse.Not much room for Red Group to move as I expect book wholesalers will not be keen to extend further credit.Looks to me they require a lot more capital.Hard for them to compete on line,as on line Amazon,the Bookdepot are very clever.
Investors can count themselves lucky it was not floated on to the market earlier this year.

percy
02-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Well it looks as though David Hargreaves is the new chalkie.He has a history of excellent chalkies to live up to.I will reserve judgement,but never thought much of his articles when he was at The Press.