PDA

View Full Version : NTA Plays

upside_umop
12-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I've always liked the security of NTA, and find you can easily sleep at night with a lot of them. PPP was my first NTA play, where I went all in and it worked out quite well during the GFC. Now it appears more are popping up...PPP included :)

Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to develop a thread towards stocks with high Net Tangible Assets relative to Market Cap.

In accounting for assets, IAS 36 has some specific requirements for the valuation of such assets on the balance sheet. IAS 36 has the test that:

The Carrying Amount is compared versus the Recoverable Amount. The Recoverable Amount is defined as the higher of:
-Fair Value less costs to sell
-Value in use (Cash Generating Unit).

Fair Value less costs to sell is quite obvious. Fair Value would be defined where there is an active market with the market price being 'Fair value.' If the market is not active, the fair value may be determined by observing events of recent sales transactions. Costs to sell would be legal, taxes, costs of removing assets etc etc.

Value in Use otherwise known as a Cash Generating Unit (CGU) is the old Net Present Value (NPV) of the future cashflows. There are five elements to be reflected in the calculation of the CGU:
-An estimate of future cashflows the entity expects to derive from the asset.
-Expectations about possible variations in the amount or timing of those future cashflows.
-The time value of money, represented by the current risk-free interest rate
-The price for bearing the uncertainty inherent in the asset (risk)
-Other factors, such as illiquity that market participants would reflect in pricing the future cash flows the entity expects to derive from the asset.

Now you say, 'it would be easy to manipulate such elements.' Yes and no.
-Fair Value less costs to sell...think listed investment companies that own stocks etc. Its relatively easy to determine the market price for them. Just make sure you keep up day to day what the price of each of it's investments are..
-CGU. It could be quite easy to manipulate them. When the financial statements get audited, it is the auditors that will give the final 'sign off' whether or not the asset is good for the number it has on the books....but can the auditor really know accurately, or at least semi accurately, and better than the market (otherwise they shouldn't exist), the elements above? I would say probably not. Therefore, NTA plays that rely on these calculations would be inherently more risky than say a Fair Value calculation. Again, there will be easier companies to value i.e. an oil company has a relatively predictable forward curve of production, price (futures..), OPEX and therefore cashflows. Retailers don't. I'm not saying retailers aren't good, just not my idea of an NTA play.

Then there is more. Sure, you have this company that has factors above its market cap in NTA. But what about the burn rate of cash? In most cases, this is what the market values in and the unpredictability in management surrounding those assets.

Say you have got a small oil company, $10m in cash with a management team that is burning $1m a quarter with some slightly cashflow positive assets of $250,000 a quarter. Worth buying? From an NTA play, (prospects aside), probably not. They are burning $3m cash a year...3 years without anything and the company will be knocking for more money. On the other hand, lets look at a play I had a while ago. PPP at the end of 2008. They had $150m cash on hand, were making $300,000 per day from oil operations, had no debt and minimal management costs a portion of their overall position. Their market cap was ~$120m. It was a good play, not multi bagger stuff instantly, but was safe with a good buying strategy.

I guess I've given the run down and what kind of NTA's I like. The point of the thread would be to encourage discussion on potential plays with respect to above comments. Of course, if you don't believe on my points then fire away and correct me if I'm wrong!

To get the ball rolling, I'll chuck down a quickly looked up stock that I thought had a pretty significant discount.

OCP. When I first saw it, it said 'NTA of $3.64 per May 31' then took a huge dive to ~$1.50. On further investigation one of it's listed investments, ISF, declined 75%! This wiped out about $1.50 in NTA. Still, it has around 2.10 in NTA with a good portion of this in cash but it shows you have to look a wee bit into it to see what the story is and not to take ASB's word! OCP was not as good as first looked.

PPP again is a bit of cashbox. $110 million in cash and receivables and $100m market cap. Its still profitable but there is now quite a lot of doubt where the future will lie for this oiler given Tui appraisals have turned up dry. Directors recently bought 6 million shares on market and NZOG own 15% stake, which was bought up around December 08.

Has anyone else out there done any research/investigating for some NTA plays? Liz, I know you were into looking for Current NTA plays where companies had more current assets on hand than market cap. Any success?

gazprom1
12-08-2010, 10:43 PM
UU,

I have a few shares in WIC. Diversified portfolio of shares in ASX listed companies. Current NTA, after tax, is currently $1.36. Have just paid a 7.5 cent dividend. Share buy back program in place appears to be holding the share price up well. Every share that is "bought back" is cancelled and therefore adding more value. Obviously is suject to the market!!!

Gazprom

Damo79
13-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi U_U

I think Astron (ATR) would fit your NTA idea pretty well. That was the basis I first entered, and am still there. Sorry, no time just now to post details, but will do in the next couple of days. Key points: 1) it has significantly more cash in bank than its market cap. 2) it's profitable, and 3) it has a mineral sands mine due for final approval this month.

Very illiquid. High management ownership (60% +). Very boring historically.

Cheers
Damo

Lizard
13-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Hi UU,
I came up with 11 shares on the net-net thread which had more current assets than total liabilities+market cap. I set up a portfolio watchlist with baseline at 21 June. So far, best performer has been ASC, up 45.5% and ESS up 30.6%. Worst performer is currently CPI group at -13.8%. However, these shares are mostly very illiquid with large spreads, so probably need to watch for quite a bit longer! Overall, the list is still averaging a 5.1% gain.

That former list I would consider fairly low risk as current assets don't tend to get written down like non-current do. Nor do shares that meet the former criteria have excessive debt. At the other side of the below NTA list are the things like AJA and CWT which have very high debt and falling asset values, so trade at close to half the NTA because of the pace at which that NTA can be eroded. However, they are worth watching for a turnaround, as the upside is large.

upside_umop
13-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Cheers for replies. Its tough having to work these days and not enjoy the freedom of the student life, but slowly finding balance to be able to be more active on here!

Looks like I've already got a few to look at from replies so far....I'll keep adding some as I find them. I hope others do too.

I vaguely remember seeing something of that thread Liz, will have to go back to it.

Damo79
16-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Some info from Astron's preliminary full year report out today and the full year presentation from last November.

Net asset value: 210 mil (327 cps)

- 166 mil cash (259 cps)
- receivables, inventory and investments of 4.5 mil (7 cps)
- total liabilities of 4.5 mil (7cps) of which only 1.6 mil are current

...so this leaves NTA of 259 using a very conservative definition of "tangible".

Then on the less tangible side:
- 10 mil land use rights (16 cps)
- 33 mil invested in the Donald Mineral Sands (DMS) project (52 cps)

... giving the total of 327 cps

Apart from the DMS project, they had revenue this year of 15 mil for a small profit of 1.2 mil and a positive cashflow of 3.5 mil.

Regarding the DMS project - mining license expected to be granted this month. From the feasibility study, the initial project area will generate 130 mil EBITDA, and the net present value of the DMS at a base case is 646 mil (compare this to the 33 mil on their balance sheet).

Current share price is 180, for a market capitalisation of 115 mil. I'm tempted to add about 50 exclamations here, but will hold back :)

I cannot understand the current share price, except to say it's extremely illiquid and the executive hold a very large percentage. I consider this pretty safe due to the NTA, while at the same time a potential 5-bagger. Go figure!

Cheers
Damo

buns
18-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I think you need to be careful when looking at some of these cash backed stocks like ATR.

Yes on the face of it you say, wow all cash = no risk.

They also don’t make any money right now, and there NPAT is relying on 3.5% CBA savings accounts.

Look a head a tad, at the Donald business case. What is the capital outlay on that? About $270m was it?

So in fact these guys are actually short of cash, and need another $100+. They can’t really expect much from a rights issue when 30 people own 90%+ of the company. Unless they all want to stump up some big $$ again (recently been some off market transactions), these guys will be borrowing money for a project which needs to be built up from absolutely nothing. Donald is non existent right now isn’t it? Still In need or roads/rail, water/dam construction, plants, a front office, and just some controls around the whole operation. On top of this, it’s a project none of the big boys wanted to touch, Rio Tinto said it wasn't feasible yet this small $100m market cap thinks it is? ATR seemed sure they can get this stuff out of the ground when the business case looked merry, however are now going in for a second dig just to check again because of the recession impacts? Didn't know the recession also sapped minerals from the surface..

Lot’s of risk here. Look beyond the cash backing, and why this backing exists.

A link to some similar stocks - http://www.intelligentinvestor.com.au/articles/comparative-review/The-search-for-cash-backed-bargains.cfm?articleID=888217

Catalyst
18-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Cellnet (CLT.asx) - a small but profitable wholesale distributor of mobile phones and accessories across NZ and Aus.

# shares = 73.135m
Current share price = A$0.30
Market cap = A$21.94m
Cash in bank = A$20m no debt

The company is due to report its FY10 result this week or next week. It has given guidance of NPAT between A$1.4m - $1.5m.

My valuation is A$32m (43c). The company should trade on a PE of about 8x (8 x 1.45m = A$12m) + $20m cash.

The only problem is that it has been sitting on A$20m for the last year and haven't announced any acquisition or dividend/capital repayment. It has, however, got a big share buyback program going and has mopped up quite a few shares at A$0.30 (it is the big buyer always sitting on the bid at A$0.30). I'm hoping it will say in its upcoming announcement that it will return all the $20m back to shareholders. Otherwise the share price may just sit around A$0.30 for another 6 months.

NTA from 1H10 result = A$0.40

Note: the shares are very illiquid and the only way to pick up any shares is generally at the opening or closing bells for 30c or sit patiently at 30.5c

Lizard
18-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Cellnet (CLT.asx) - a small but profitable wholesale distributor of mobile phones and accessories across NZ and Aus.

Yes, agree. That was one of the shares that came up in the "Net-Net Bet" (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?7813-The-Net-Net-Bet) thread.

(PPX is a bit suspect for that thread - meant to get back to check the quasi-equity. Also CSS has had a bit of a change to numbers with large cap raising.)

Damo79
20-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the input Buns re. ATR

It's good to get another point of view which helps explain why the share price is so far below NTA. The comment about Rio Tinto particularly was quite telling, and could indeed be the reason for the languishing price. All I can say is Rio deemed it uneconomical in 1998, and in 2003, Astrons "concluded that it was now economic to develop, because of the improved zircon prices and advances in processing methods". This from the background summary of the Environmental Effects assessment in 2008. So it is now 7 years on from the original conclusion that it was economical, and a massive amount of feasibility work has been done and bureaucratic hurdles passed, with the actual mine license coming this month and the latest feasibility study giving massive EBITDA numbers.

To conclude that the Donald project is high risk is to assume that the last 7 years or lead up work and the feasibility studies are based on lies by management. Given that amount of shares they hold, I'd say that would be economic suicide. Of course nothing is without risk, but I still stand by my pick of ATR as a promising NTA play.

Cheers
Damo

soulman
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Bought some PPP today at 14.5. Cash at $100 mil. MC at $85 mil and upcoming capital return of 5 cents. Seems like a safe play.

Stocks such as GLL and WEC are the other 2 I hold. More cash than MC. Geez, even those are getting ram raid.

bung5
06-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I also hold GLL . Is significantly under its CASH NTA and if you include the coal seam gas development it has a 50% interest in it is eye popping to see the discount to NTA!!

bung5
06-09-2012, 11:17 AM
DGR is another one well under NTA. Has holdings in a variety of listed and unlisted explorers . The main two are 30% in MET and 25% in AJQ.