PDA

View Full Version : Sky TV (SKT)

jeremyhowell
19-08-2010, 12:40 PM
In your opinion, have they reached a peak or will they continue to perform well over the next few months?

STRAT
19-08-2010, 02:27 PM
What peak?

STRAT
19-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Jeremy
What you make of these?

ozzie
22-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Anyone here subscribe to Sky TV? I gather Netflix is coming to NZ next month, and at prices around $10 per month vs Sky's $50 to $100 I'd assume that would be a major reason for the recent weakness in SKT's share price. Or is there some other reason? Info on SKT seems rather sparse on the net.

BlackPeter
22-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Anyone here subscribe to Sky TV? I gather Netflix is coming to NZ next month, and at prices around $10 per month vs Sky's $50 to $100 I'd assume that would be a major reason for the recent weakness in SKT's share price. Or is there some other reason? Info on SKT seems rather sparse on the net.

Gosh - this is a busy thread!

Re Sky TV - no, we cancelled our subscription many years ago. The movies are a joke (endless repetitions of old movies), turning the SKY subscription basically into a payment allowing you to pay extra for newer movies. The news channels are tired (and better news channels available over the internet) and the obligatory sport channel doesn't interest us. They have as well some other revenue channels like e.g. Fatso - basically a mail order DVD library, which we are still using, but they recently increased their charges ... and with NZ Post hellbound to commit suicide (reducing their "service" from 6 to 3 deliveries per week do I doubt that we will hang on with Fatso for the long term.

I understand that SKT is as well planning some sort of Video on demand service over the internet, but if I look at their current pricing and service do I doubt that they will be competitive.

Looking at their future - I still give them some years (however with probably first stagnating and than declining revenue), given that high speed internet is still a rare commodity in our woods. What happens afterwards is everybody's best guess. Maybe they manage to beat the Netflixes of the world, but given their previous business model and flexibility (lack thereof) do I have my doubts ...

macduffy
23-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Hi ozzie. The Sky TV thread is on the NZ forum. Not very busy - the last post was back in November 2014.

Cheers

ozzie
23-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Ok thanks guys, I missed seeing the NZX thread. Seems there's a fair bit of worry about Netflix out there.