PDA

View Full Version : Share Sight Portfolio management system.

forest
19-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Resently realised there is a portfolio management system with the option to link to Direct Broking accounts, wondering if any of you use this Share Sight management system and are willing to share the good and maybe not so good of it.

Cheers, Forest

jmsnz
19-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Resently realised there is a portfolio management system with the option to link to Direct Broking accounts, wondering if any of you use this Share Sight management system and are willing to share the good and maybe not so good of it.

Cheers, Forest

Forest,

I'm using it and find it OK. I have emailed them directly on a couple of issues relating to me wanting to maintain a complete portfolio view, and had good responses, including some changes to allow non-shares to be recorded more effectively.

If you are just monitor shares, its excellent.

Cheers

jmsnz

POSSUM THE CAT
20-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Forest & jmsnz Would have to be absolutely Super Duper to warrant the cost. Most of the free ones do just about as much. Cannot see what they do that warrants the cost.

Macleod
20-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi, I too thought this looked great until I saw the price of the monthly fee.

Possum, can you give us a list of some of the better free ones that you have tried / currently use?

Anna Naum
20-10-2010, 09:55 AM
The pricing is wrong, difficult to get excited about it as a result.

sryburn
20-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Forest & jmsnz Would have to be absolutely Super Duper to warrant the cost. Most of the free ones do just about as much. Cannot see what they do that warrants the cost.
Hi Guys,

Scott Ryburn from Sharesight here. Just though I'd jump in and clarify some of the key features that Sharesight offers:
-Automatic recording of dividends including imputation credits, withholding tax etc.
-Proper annualised returns that include the impact of dividends and currency movements over the period that you have owned the shares (or any date range of your choice).
-Automatic adjustments for name changes, share splits, bonus issues, capital returns etc
-Localised tax reporting including 1-click dividend tax reports and comprehensive Foreign Investment Fund (FIF) tax repoting
-Online portfolio sharing so that you can grant access to your accountant, financial advisor, partner, share club etc.
-The ability to connect your portfolio to other online services, for example your Direct Broking account or the Xero accounting system.

Sharesight is designed for self directed investors who want to:
-Reduce the time and hassle of maintaining an accurate portfolio
-Be better informed about their investments
-Reduce accounting fees!

I'm happy to answer any questions!

jmsnz
20-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Possum, Macleod, Anna,

I guess it all comes down to what you see as value. I am comfortable that it is saving me $17.10 per month, clearly you don't. The mere fact that I can grant access to other Trustees and they can see the position with paper changing hands is great.

Cheers

John

Discl: No financial or other interest in ShareSight, but am a user.

CJ
20-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I guess it also depends on the size of your portfolio. Mine is relatively small and all NZ shares (2 small ASX shares) so it is easy to keep track of in excel. If I had more, or was managing multiple portfolios, it could definitely be worth it. Especially if you used Xero for your accounting system - again I just use excell due to the size of my portfolio.

POSSUM THE CAT
20-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Macleod: Yahoo & Google are some of the best I have used as you can mix shares from various exchanges. /www.tradingroom.com.au/apps/index.ac is very good but only for Australian Shares. Microsoft Excel is very good with a Free add in from MSN Money also for Australian Shares http://finance.yahoo.com http://uk.finance.yahoo.com http://au.finance.yahoo.com/ http://nz.finance.yahoo.com/ The NZ & Australian Portfolio functions are being up dated but alterations done to one are done automatically to all. but so far only the NZ & Aust. are the only ones I can get to show prices to more than @decimal places. I mainly Use Yahoo and Excel as they fit in best with my requirements .
JMSNZ you can set up most of these portfolio managers for a group just the same as you want all you have to do is give them the access codes.

Macleod
21-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks Possum, Ill take a look at these over the weekend.

mrmoosy
22-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Beiley Fund Manager available from www.beiley.com is great value for a one off cost of about $30 USD. Offers online updating from a variety of sources and numerous features. Free trial also