PDA

View Full Version : Why I dont like Hotcopper

brettdale
05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Thankfully I got out of a certain stock in april, while the hotcopper people were talking it up big time, apparently this stock would be over a dollar at least by December, (this was stated many times in march) these people had friends who were in the know, well its not quite near a dollar, many posters kept reapting,they have huge announcements coming up.

My question is, do people still actually believe what their posters say?

axion
05-11-2010, 10:14 PM
You shouldn't believe anything anyone says.

trackers
05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
i don't believe anything thats not in the public domain. I find HC useful though, people sharing stuff dug up from old data, or being able to intepret techo info etc - Chat backed up by easily verifiable fact.

Anything else (and there is unbelievable amount of stuff that is just beyond belief) I just ignore, and maintain an extensive ignore list which I add to frequently!

h2so4
06-11-2010, 08:50 AM
If it feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels good, I believe.:):):):):):)

Cannibal
06-11-2010, 10:15 AM
There is a heap of good information on HC. The trouble is finding out who you can trust and believe in. 90%+ are rampers with little or no knowledge. Beware their enthusiam as it is rarely justified!
It is also not the place for a balanced discussion. Anything positive is welcomed with arms wide open and anything negative - however accurate - is attacked - the result is that every share is fantastic.
And don't get me started on some of the arrogant, smug, "experts" on there.
This thread - rather brilliantly started by me - will explain all you need to know - http://hotcopper.com.au/post_threadview.asp?fid=5&tid=1215038&msgno=55339#55339

STRAT
06-11-2010, 10:18 AM
You have been around a while now Brettdale. I thought you would have a feel for this by now.
Like all these sites there are some clever people on Hot Copper but it will take an age to find em. If you like what someone posts you can always research their past posting performance.

Though I seldom go there what I do like about Hot Copper is its size. You will find a thread there when no other site has one. Its also a good site to count taxi drivers who arent on their driving shift.
Pages and pages of
It will be a Zillion by Xmas.......
Toot Toot.....
This train is etc.....
Those sellers will regret.....
Back up the Truck...
Thank you to the seller who just sold me a Kadrillion heads at......
etc
etc
Is a sure sign any stock is over cooked and a retrace is on the way.

On some sites a group of people talking up a stock can in fact all be one person with many nicks.

People with genuine inside info dont post it on Web sites. People who say they do want to sell you their shares.

I trust only the people I have met face to face and /or those who offer help without trying to sell me something. Any advice they give I scrutinize.

My advice would be ignore all advice including mine :D

PS For a perfect example of how things operate over there. Dig up the AVB Chart. Look at the dates and check out the posts pre spike, during the spike and during the retrace. It will take a little time but I will bet it will be a wonderful example of how things roll over there.

STRAT
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Nice list Cannibal :lol:

STRAT
06-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I trust only the people I have met face to face :DShare Trader meeting today at the Horse n Trap Mt Eden 4pm. A few drinks and a chin wag.;)

Hoop
06-11-2010, 11:25 AM
My little true life happening with HC
A few years ago I tried to join the HC forum
Hoop was unvailable so I tried Hoop1 ..no good so I had an inspirational idea.... lets go backwards:cool:
so I tried pooH .......ehhh fail!!:scared:....couldn't log in or out after that...I must have got blocked:(

STRAT
06-11-2010, 11:47 AM
My little true life happening with HC
A few years ago I tried to join the HC forum
Hoop was unvailable so I tried Hoop1 ..no good so I had an inspirational idea.... lets go backwards:cool:
so I tried pooH .......ehhh fail!!:scared:....couldn't log in or out after that...I must have got blocked:(LOL.
I joined as Strat and never went back for a while. Forgot my password so I emailed them. They told me Strat was already taken and the real strat lived in Iceland or somewhere. So I re joined as "the real strat" Never seen a post by the Iceland Strat in all these years.

Thought "The real Strat" looked a bit dorky so I emailed them again a few years later suggesting there was no Strat and they should give me the nick.

They ignored me:crying:

There is a 62Strat on HC. A bloody good model Stratocaster and worth a few bob now.

brettdale
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
You have been around a while now Brettdale. I thought you would have a feel for this by now.
Like all these sites there are some clever people on Hot Copper but it will take an age to find em. If you like what someone posts you can always research their past posting performance.

Though I seldom go there what I do like about Hot Copper is its size. You will find a thread there when no other site has one. Its also a good site to count taxi drivers who arent on their driving shift.
Pages and pages of
It will be a Zillion by Xmas.......
Toot Toot.....
This train is etc.....
Those sellers will regret.....
Back up the Truck...
Thank you to the seller who just sold me a Kadrillion heads at......
etc
etc
Is a sure sign any stock is over cooked and a retrace is on the way.

On some sites a group of people talking up a stock can in fact all be one person with many nicks.

People with genuine inside info dont post it on Web sites. People who say they do want to sell you their shares.

I trust only the people I have met face to face and /or those who offer help without trying to sell me something. Any advice they give I scrutinize.

My advice would be ignore all advice including mine :D

PS For a perfect example of how things operate over there. Dig up the AVB Chart. Look at the dates and check out the posts pre spike, during the spike and during the retrace. It will take a little time but I will bet it will be a wonderful example of how things roll over there.

Your right, I havent traded anything in eight months, Ive been travelling and now working 24/7, so Im getting back into after xmas.

Very good post.

ratkin
06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Toot, toot! Top up time! Whooooshkaaaa!! You'll never get them cheaper! the 'big boys accumulating'
most undervalued stock on the ASX :D

Lego_Man
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
My favourite is all the fluff around market manipulation/distortion - Ie every time your share has a down or flat day, it's because of a "capper holding it below 6c" or "bot trader - hmmm something's up". See PEN thread over there for excruciatingly crap "analysis" of intraday trading. Im more interested in what John Key had for breakfast than that drivel to be honest.

STRAT
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I should add that this stuff is not all bad. Athougn its hard to measure. Big sites with a lot of ramping and a good following must make for better spikes.

Lizard
06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
This thread - rather brilliantly started by me - will explain all you need to know - http://hotcopper.com.au/post_threadview.asp?fid=5&tid=1215038&msgno=55339#55339

Loved the thread, Cannibal!

My favourite would be "the bottom is in!". I can't believe how many times I've read that one when existing holders have lost about 70% of their money and the stock pauses for a moment... a more appropriate heading for stocks that attract this phrase would be "a watched pot never boils".

I like HC as a place to check for other perspectives on stocks I like - tend to cross threads with mostly the same group of posters that are attracted to similar situations and there are probably 3 or 4 posters there whose advice I'd be prepared to follow blindly if I ever ran out of time to do my own research.

Btw, I think the phrase "toot toot" deserves some historical insight, its usage being favoured of one of the larger personalities of HC, Goblin (http://hotcopper.com.au/user_profile.asp?uid=56316) (finally banned 2008).

Enumerate
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
You go to HC to gauge sentiment.

You go to Sharescene for analysis.

But of course, you always DYOR.

carrera
13-09-2016, 09:09 PM
There are some good posters on hotcopper but some ridiculous cheerleading and the usual arguments.

Posts like "this stock is going all the way.. $15 by the end of the week!!!!" are the worst, and the "i bought at x, i hope it goes up" add nothing. i go to read insights and analysis, i want to read posts with numbers and facts to justify their view.

I'm ending up on there more these days, seeing the other forum I'm on seems to be dropping off. Despite their snobbery to HC there are less posts on even fairly common stocks - at least HC has activity on most stocks.

JBmurc
13-09-2016, 09:30 PM
There are some good posters on hotcopper but some ridiculous cheerleading and the usual arguments.

Posts like "this stock is going all the way.. $15 by the end of the week!!!!" are the worst, and the "i bought at x, i hope it goes up" add nothing. i go to read insights and analysis, i want to read posts with numbers and facts to justify their view.

I'm ending up on there more these days, seeing the other forum I'm on seems to be dropping off. Despite their snobbery to HC there are less posts on even fairly common stocks - at least HC has activity on most stocks.

Yes If only we could drag a couple thousand smart HC traders aka to Sharetrader we would be set.......have checked out many of the other forums like Sharescene/top stocks etc but really no better than ST low amounts of posts etc .... seems like with size you get the trash of hyper-rampers and one stock down rampers ..does certainly get lonely around the ST ASX at times ...

percy
13-09-2016, 09:55 PM
We have lost a few excellent posters because they are now involved in the markets, as either advisors, or in a couple of cases fund management.
Others have left to join "networks" where they follow similar companies,and have similar views on investing,and can therefore share ideas without the "trolls" you get on internet sites.
Others unfortunately have lost their capital, on oilers or miners, and have lost interest in the market.
The small cap sector has also become more challenging.
I do find there are still the odd poster worth reading on HC.

JBmurc
13-09-2016, 10:13 PM
have many a time on other forums ....Propertytalk,auto forums ...message boards etc etc put across to others keen on the sharemarket to come and join ST ....
would think with younger generations spending more time online we would see numbers grow ....but like we know ....here in NZ most spare funds get invested into "Property" and many lose on a micro cap and pull the pin ....or just decide the holiday , New car would be a smart use of the spare funds than SM ....

shasta
14-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Still plenty on ST following the threads just not posting, with some encouragement a few more might pop up.

I'm working 60 odd hours a week and too tired to post the analysis like i used to, but have a few goodies i'm following and i will get around to posting some insight on them in due course.

Remember from years ago my posts on here and Sharescene ended up copied onto HC, but too many rampers put me off that site.

levin123
14-09-2016, 10:44 AM
For ASX forum chat I use aussiestockforums.com. Find it to be a relatively objective, useful resource

h2so4
14-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Still plenty on ST following the threads just not posting, with some encouragement a few more might pop up.

I'm working 60 odd hours a week and too tired to post the analysis like i used to, but have a few goodies i'm following and i will get around to posting some insight on them in due course.

Remember from years ago my posts on here and Sharescene ended up copied onto HC, but too many rampers put me off that site.

Quick!! Put the tickers up before the train leaves the station.:):):)

shasta
14-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Quick!! Put the tickers up before the train leaves the station.:):):)

Ok then i shall, my usual criteria is undervalued and somewhat off the radar....

AZM - undervalued goldie operating in ghana, ridiculously cheap on EV v JORC resource, and ann out today shows there drilling program

AZS - large silver JORC resource and have made a gold discovery, refer recent presentation, note, mark creasy/yandal owns a chunk

ALY - very very cheap stock, has a small 87k JORC gold resource, but NST and IGO funding gold/base metal projects, tiny mcap and once it clears 2c could move quick, especially as i'm rejigging more funds to buy more of the above.

HRR - large base metal advanced project, zinc, nickel, copper, silver, currently DFS and there will be an in specie distribution of there non Woodlawn projects, incl a decent nickel project with JORC resource

CL8 - non mining but stumbled upon this and the pie in the sky potential could eventuate, maybe a bottom draw stock but...

OEL - nothing more to say bout my old oil and gas fav...

Others i'm watching, ARD, RXL, WIN, WRM, MGV, MSV, GWR, RED - had a wee trade on this

disc - hold OEL, ALY, AZS, AZM

Usual DYOR disclaimer etc, i'm more of an investor than trader

h2so4
14-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Good to see you back.
All aboard. Toot toot!:):)

heisenberg
14-09-2016, 03:45 PM
So I take it none of you will be getting in on the HC IPO? :p

JBmurc
14-09-2016, 08:35 PM

would rather invest in a ST IPO ......LOL

karlos68
14-09-2016, 08:59 PM

Nap...........

Joshuatree
14-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks shasta; will run those goldies past a Goldie expert friend who is 100% invested in Gold companies large and small, in the $millions.. I originally made contact with this friend and re 4 others on H/C and the sharing and friendship has been invaluable. i will watch the H/C listing and do some more research on it. They can add more value easily imo.I for one wouldn't think twice about paying a subscription to it for example.Also a big moat atp ; no competition.Think i held Mitchell services way back but my money is on SRG and LBL in the M/S sector at the mo. Lost dough way back on RED when they couldn't cope with the water ingress followed by the tailings wall collapse disaster.