PDA

View Full Version : Ads causing site havoc again?

Snoopy
14-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi Vince,

For the last week or so I have been unbale to display threads in sharetrader via my dial up account. I can download pages as far as the list of topics on each forum. Then when I click on a particular topic, the loading bar on the bottom RHS of the screen goes all the way across and the screen just hangs blankly. I can view the thread only by disconnecting my dial up connection at this point.

Then all the posts appear, but I get a message 'cannot connect to ad server' where the ad should be. In some ways I don't mind as it means I will never see any of your ads ever again. But do your advertisers realise that with your current system, possibly you entire remaining dial up audience has ad blank glasses on, possibly for good? I use the K-meleon browser, which is a lite version of Mozilla.

I should add that Sharetrader is the only site I have struck that behaves like this. Sharechat is O.K.

SNOOPY

Snoopy
18-12-2010, 09:21 AM
For the last week or so I have been unbale to display threads in sharetrader via my dial up account. I can download pages as far as the list of topics on each forum. Then when I click on a particular topic, the loading bar on the bottom RHS of the screen goes all the way across and the screen just hangs blankly. I can view the thread only by disconnecting my dial up connection at this point.

Then all the posts appear, but I get a message 'cannot connect to ad server' where the ad should be.

Whatever you did Vince , it is now all working properly for me again. Thanks.

SNOOPY

Snoopy
11-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Then all the posts appear, but I get a message 'cannot connect to ad server' where the ad should be. In some ways I don't mind as it means I will never see any of your ads ever again. But do your advertisers realise that with your current system, possibly you entire remaining dial up audience has ad blank glasses on, possibly for good? I use the K-meleon browser, which is a lite version of Mozilla.

I should add that Sharetrader is the only site I have struck that behaves like this. Sharechat is O.K.

This ad sticking problem has reared its ugly head again. I guess I am one of the few that still uses dial up. At the moment each page of sharetrader takes me 6 and one half minutes to load. At that point I get a message 'script is not responding' do you wish to cancel? I then click 'yes' and my screen is unfrozen and the top of the screen filled with an error message 'cannot contact ad server'. I have no idea what ad is causing this because of course I cannot see it.

A few weeks ago I was down at the library using broadband and even there a single page of sharetrader text took ninety seconds to load. As I have said before, sharetrader is the only website where I have this problem. The question is why burden what is fundamentally a text site with such heavy advertising graphics? It just ruins the browsing experience, and as I indicated earlier alienates your dial up customers at heavy cost to your sponsors because dial up users cannot read your ads at all! Is this really the best you can do?

SNOOPY

Vince
14-03-2011, 10:18 PM
What browser are you using on your dail up Snoopy?

Jay
12-11-2011, 08:38 AM
A bit annoying these ads down the side of the page, less width longer page, plus I think it is mucked up my IE6 at work, the reply, reply with quote etc now is in a vertcal line, however work upgrading to IE8 over thw wekend so hopefully will fix that -
Can't download ad blocker etc at work - don't have "permission"

Jay
14-11-2011, 10:34 AM
IE8 installed and now working fine
Still a little annoying - the ads down the side, suppose can't complain too much as all this is for free

Jay
14-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Looks fine to me both at home and at work - oops here comes the boss!

Snoopy
23-11-2011, 01:04 PM
What browser are you using on your dial up Snoopy?

I use K-meleon Vince, which is Mozilla light. However, there is nothing wrong with the browser. The error message it gives me 'script not responding' is correct. And when the browser asks me if I would like to stop running the script, then everything works again.

The problem is your coding forcing all systems to run a very graphic and content heavy script routine which I suspect most dial up systems can't cope with. The solution would be simple. Rewrite the script so that when it encounters the browser K-meleon, (used on older less powerful computers in general), then the advertising should either be turned off (your advertisers wouldn't like that) or by passed into an alternative 'single image' advert that lower grade computer systems could cope with.

SNOOPY

ask it to stop running the script then the site works fine.