PDA

View Full Version : Recommended accountants in Auckland?

seaosh
03-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an accountant in Auckland. It would also be good to know what kind of hourly rate I'd be looking at to use them.

My affairs are getting a bit too messy for me to organize myself, plus recently I am spending a lot of time overseas.

I would need an accountant able to deal with the following:

- Investment property (standard stuff)
- Share portfolio (Aussie shares, with some leveraging against my mortgage, but essentially standard stuff)
- Self-employed income (standard stuff)
- Small NZ-registered company (involving some guys besides myself) that is very active overseas (this could be complicated - income is mostly in NZ but much of the expenses and activity occur overseas).

Anyone got any suggestions? Does the overseas stuff really complicate things?

The sums of money involved are relatively trivial. We're talking tens of thousands of bucks, not millions. Wish it was millions though. . .

Guess I'm asking whether I need to go with some big accounting firm, or whether any small-business accountant (provided they are a non-idiot) can handle this stuff.

percy
07-01-2011, 08:41 PM
As a one eyed Cantabrian I am enjoying the fact that no one can recomend an Auckland accountant. ?.

Jay
07-01-2011, 08:55 PM
OK I'll take the bait percy.
We Aucklanders all leave during holidays that's why no-one has answered :-)
Actually I would have thought someone may have answered by now -Shasta may have a contact?

I'm no expert, but don't think you would need a big accounting firm unless you wish to pay them lots. However, I think you may need a firm as opposed to a 1 man band working from his spare bedroom, unless someone recommends such a person.

Smart Group in Ellerslie (Ann Loudon is the principal partner/owner) and HWI in Newmarket are two I have/had dealings with. Both deal with the people like yourself seaosh & smaller to medium businesses on the whole

shasta
09-01-2011, 10:23 AM
OK I'll take the bait percy.
Actually I would have thought someone may have answered by now -Shasta may have a contact?

I'm no expert, but don't think you would need a big accounting firm unless you wish to pay them lots. However, I think you may need a firm as opposed to a 1 man band working from his spare bedroom, unless someone recommends such a person.

Smart Group in Ellerslie (Ann Loudon is the principal partner/owner) and HWI in Newmarket are two I have/had dealings with. Both deal with the people like yourself seaosh & smaller to medium businesses on the whole

Dont have any contacts in Auckland sorry.

What state are the records in Seaosh, only the company with overseas issues requires someone to look at.

Are there overseas based shareholders, just thinking of potential audit requirements

seaosh
14-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of Smart Group and HWI.

Shasta, regarding the company, the shareholders are myself and another NZer. I guess we are both based overseas, but retain ties to NZ - i.e. visiting regularly, have property in NZ, doing business with NZ companies, etc.). So far as our NZ tax residency goes I guess you could argue it both ways.

During my previous stint living overseas I stopped being a NZ tax resident. Then I took up tax residency again when I spent time back in NZ. Currently I suppose my tax residency is debatable. However, for simplicity maybe it is best to just be a tax resident, even though I spend little time in NZ.

There is a third NZer involved who is not actually a shareholder and not involved in all projects.

shasta
14-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of Smart Group and HWI.

Shasta, regarding the company, the shareholders are myself and another NZer. I guess we are both based overseas, but retain ties to NZ - i.e. visiting regularly, have property in NZ, doing business with NZ companies, etc.). So far as our NZ tax residency goes I guess you could argue it both ways.

During my previous stint living overseas I stopped being a NZ tax resident. Then I took up tax residency again when I spent time back in NZ. Currently I suppose my tax residency is debatable. However, for simplicity maybe it is best to just be a tax resident, even though I spend little time in NZ.

There is a third NZer involved who is not actually a shareholder and not involved in all projects.

You certainly would meet the criteria for being a NZ resident for tax purposes then, which means income from overseas has to be declared on your NZ tax return.

I'd be talking to an accounting firm who deal with smaller - medium sized clients & see what benefits they can come up with taking into account your situation.

If you are trading as a sole trader (employment, shares & property) & have the shares in the company in your own name, there are some liability issues to look into.

I'd be wanting to set up a holding company to own the shares in the NZ registered company & to be the funding"mechanism" from you, & perhaps an LAQC company to trade shares & property with, to avoid having too much exposure yourself personally.

I presume you fund all these ventures personally, ie in your own name?

CJ
14-01-2011, 10:14 PM
& perhaps an LAQC company to trade shares & property with, to avoid having too much exposure yourself personally.LAQC's are going the way of the dodo (effective 1/4/11). Consider the new LTC.

I personal like trusts for holding wealth. Use a corporate trustee though. Just purchased 50% of a company, two trusts involved with the refinance and both had one trustee that needed individual legal advice (costly).

shasta
14-01-2011, 10:20 PM
LAQC's are going the way of the dodo (effective 1/4/11). Consider the new LTC.

I personal like trusts for holding wealth. Use a corporate trustee though. Just purchased 50% of a company, two trusts involved with the refinance and both had one trustee that needed individual legal advice (costly).

Thanks again CJ, im showing my ignorance of being out of the loop with the tax changes, gee ya take a year off & the changes are immense

seaosh
15-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Shasta.

And yes, I do fund all these ventures in my own name.

What is a reasonable hourly rate to be paying an accountant by the way? My business partner started dealing with a firm that (I think) really looks after large clients. They are quoting $350 or something. Seems a little over the top. I figured we could easily find someone competent for half that - probably a firm specialized in small to medium clients.

shasta
16-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Shasta.

And yes, I do fund all these ventures in my own name.

What is a reasonable hourly rate to be paying an accountant by the way? My business partner started dealing with a firm that (I think) really looks after large clients. They are quoting $350 or something. Seems a little over the top. I figured we could easily find someone competent for half that - probably a firm specialized in small to medium clients.

That does sound quite expensive, you must remember that each Manager & Partner in these firms review the a/c's, when in all likelihood it will be an intermediate/senior staff member doing the work probably on a charge out of $100 - $150 an hour.

You are best to get a fixed quote for the donkey work, & pay extra for the tax & structure advice

Find a smaller more personal service that will be happy to get the work, just make sure they dont subcontract tax advice to a larger firm, else you'll be paying twice!

percy
01-02-2011, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=Jay;332287]OK I'll take the bait percy.

Still not back from holiday.?

Jay
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Never went away Percy, -- this year

I did answer his request :-)

percy
02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Never went away Percy, -- this year

I did answer his request :-)

"Home alone".

Jay
02-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Looked like it
There advantages - get to work (and home again) in no time at all

So I take time off when everyone else is at work

hang on- on Holiday alone :-(

percy
02-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Looked like it
There advantages - get to work (and home again) in no time at all

So I take time off when everyone else is at work

hang on- on Holiday alone :-(

Sounds to me as though you have it figured out that you get two holidays.Well done.!!!

JemT
14-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I know an accountant in Auckland who deals with all of your requirements. Let me know if you are still looking, as I may be able to get you a decent price (i.e. lower than what they might otherwise quote you).

RazorX
14-04-2011, 09:40 PM
All accounting system used by accountans in new zealand a single demensional , most use a very old software system database that would get a Z- in database 101

they use a working paper system that comes from the dark ages.

having said that most accountants can do the basics, its onyl when you get a public companies and trust's that you need a really good one

That's a rather general, possibly misguided statement. A lot of the accounting software that I see coming out is state of the art.

And remember an accountants main benefit is not being able to whack together a set of figures - most folks can do that. It is in being able to advise and implement tax effective solutions because they have that in depth knowledge of the tax system and laws that would take too much time for business owners to keep up to date with. I think if you do some serious research you'll find that accountants have come a long way from the dark ages. :)

JemT
15-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Yes, most of the work that an experienced accountant will do involves either interpreting accounts and giving advice on profitability, cash flow, and risk (this is the 'accounting' side of things) or it will involve taxation planning and advice. Often a client will have a set of accounts that they have generated themselves, and they will go along to the accountant to ask 'what does this mean?'. The taxation planning side involves both advising on possible unintended or unknown tax obligations that could arise (such as when a taxpayer is selling off some land which they have not lived on there are a number of instances where this could be taxable), as well as advice on realising tax benefits.

The working paper system is used for the purposes of ensuring an accurate set of accounts and compliance with all tax obligations. By using the working papers partner/senior review is made easier as workings are laid out more clearly. The more junior accountants are the ones who contribute the bulk of the material in the working papers, while it is up to the more senior accountants to go and review all this, and deliver the to the client relevant and useful advice.

I would agree with the above post regarding doing some of your own study. If anything it at least makes you aware of everything that needs to be considered when running a business. This will lead you to ask better questions of your accountant, and will allow you to identify potential problems before they get too serious.

Beagle
08-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Can you recommend youself :) 30 Years experience, prompt personal service $190 hour plus G.S.T.
Like to think I have a few clues. Currently 12th out of 100 in the N.Z. Sharemarket competition which speaks for itself, (first year I've entered).
PM if you're interested.
Kind regards
Roger Clark

fungus pudding
08-07-2011, 01:27 PM
sorry,

many ten of millions

Wasn't just the Russian who couldn't write then? :D :p :D