PDA

View Full Version : What would you do differently if you could start over again in investing?

lou
27-03-2011, 05:15 PM
If you could wind back the clock and start all over, what would you change about the way you invested?

What would you keep the same?

Corporate
27-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Nothing so far. I'm 26 and started investing seriously just before the GFC. I lost a lot and learnt a bunch. I came back strong during 2010 and 2011 recouping all loss's and more. The learnings have been and will be invaluable!!

I try to combine FA and TA, while never investing what I can't afford to loose.

I'm now trying to decide whether to diversify into an investment property, while maintaining a share portfolio.

JBmurc
27-03-2011, 07:08 PM
you certainly learn very quick when you start taking on major losses...

"I'm now trying to decide whether to diversify into an investment property, while maintaining a share portfolio"---------------
personal after having over a dozen properties --spec building trading an rental investments over a decade of so etc,,,At persent times I wouldn't bother getting back involved unless I had excess amount of cash and our own home debt free then I would be looking at high yield commercial down south with 8%+ yields and good tenents
Don't believe property is risk free or easy money just talk to many chch property owners or landlords that have to rid a p-lab or destructive tenents
And the fact if you want to sell your shares it can usually be done in a day max unlike property which can sit for yrs with low interest
Major bonus with property is the fact banks will loan against(leverage)and in good market treat it like cash unlike shares which banks hate unless there investing..

If you want to divesify from riskier shares TLS is hard to bet at current 14% yield and price

evilroyrule
27-03-2011, 08:31 PM
If you could wind back the clock and start all over, what would you change about the way you invested?

wld never touch ppty again with a barge pole. did more than a few million when she went tits up three years ago. maybe a i grew up. i used to laugh at people who said reitre debt. but that is where i wld start. and look after your family.

Corporate
27-03-2011, 08:51 PM
you certainly learn very quick when you start taking on major losses...

"I'm now trying to decide whether to diversify into an investment property, while maintaining a share portfolio"---------------
personal after having over a dozen properties --spec building trading an rental investments over a decade of so etc,,,At persent times I wouldn't bother getting back involved unless I had excess amount of cash and our own home debt free then I would be looking at high yield commercial down south with 8%+ yields and good tenents
Don't believe property is risk free or easy money just talk to many chch property owners or landlords that have to rid a p-lab or destructive tenents
And the fact if you want to sell your shares it can usually be done in a day max unlike property which can sit for yrs with low interest
Major bonus with property is the fact banks will loan against(leverage)and in good market treat it like cash unlike shares which banks hate unless there investing..

If you want to divesify from riskier shares TLS is hard to bet at current 14% yield and price

Thanks JB. I haven't got a home yet either so it would be nice to get into property in one way or another. Although I don't want to compromise my share portfolio.

Is that TLS on the nzx, 14% yield sounds incredible?

shasta
27-03-2011, 09:07 PM

I wish i'd sold all my ADY when 200% up in 6 weeks & not buy any of them back...

And wish i'd never invested into Uran !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lesson learnt there was not to put nearly all of ones eggs in 2 baskets, oh & not to be greedy & complacent!

I'd also wish i knew what i do now at 34, than when i first started investing at around 18 & stuck with a system, i way over traded & didnt have the patience

buns
28-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Is that TLS on the nzx, 14% yield sounds incredible?

For me it is simply don't invest in what I don't know about.

Yes that div yield from TLS sounds about right. But if you want 14% from TLS you are going to have to pull out the trading books (the SP will not stay where it is) as Telco's right now are a risky bet as governments are set on Fibre being layed independently.

Or simply, regulators stripping away the core business/easy high margin revenues they were given on a plate when privatised. Who is to say regulation will stop there, as mobile will fast become as important as fixed access. Even if mobile is not regulated (already is with Termination rates coming down), it has a lower barrier to entry hence small players can take on these big guys - See 2 Degree's.

Taking Tax into account you could get the same net return from TEL on the nzx which hovers around the 10% mark..

Lets not discuss TLS on this topic.

JBmurc
28-03-2011, 09:12 AM
For me it is simply don't invest in what I don't know about.

Yes that div yield from TLS sounds about right. But if you want 14% from TLS you are going to have to pull out the trading books (the SP will not stay where it is) as Telco's right now are a risky bet as governments are set on Fibre being layed independently.

Or simply, regulators stripping away the core business/easy high margin revenues they were given on a plate when privatised. Who is to say regulation will stop there, as mobile will fast become as important as fixed access. Even if mobile is not regulated (already is with Termination rates coming down), it has a lower barrier to entry hence small players can take on these big guys - See 2 Degree's.

Taking Tax into account you could get the same net return from TEL on the nzx which hovers around the 10% mark..

Lets not discuss TLS on this topic.

Yeah thats right buns TEL,TLS etc good yields one would only dream about in property these days

JBmurc
28-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I wish i'd sold all my ADY when 200% up in 6 weeks & not buy any of them back...

And wish i'd never invested into Uran !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lesson learnt there was not to put nearly all of ones eggs in 2 baskets, oh & not to be greedy & complacent!

I'd also wish i knew what i do now at 34, than when i first started investing at around 18 & stuck with a system, i way over traded & didnt have the patience

LOL yeah if I'd known what I know now back when I was even 22 I'd be a muti millionaire

shasta
28-03-2011, 04:28 PM
LOL yeah if I'd known what I know now back when I was even 22 I'd be a muti millionaire

Wouldnt we all... ;)

Other lessons i've learnt along the way...

1. Using even basic TA for sell signals would have meant i'd have had more multi baggers (i used to be quite happy with a quick 25 - 50% & move on) & better use of trailing stops would have saved me handing back profits to the market

2. Companies exec's that have so much time to answer your emails probably arent working on the company itself!

3. Companies that are poor communicators are in my experience poor companies!

buns
28-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Points 2 and 3 are slightly contradicting aren’t they?

On the TA thing - I still don't have any knowledge in that, but sometimes wonder does basic buy/sell in line with TA + paying tax still result in one being better of than being an investor and 'riding the waves' yet not paying tax?

Constant TA must equal 'trading' right?

POSSUM THE CAT
28-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Buy twice as much of the Australian shares I bought Soon after 9/11

JBmurc
28-03-2011, 07:36 PM

On the TA thing - I still don't have any knowledge in that, but sometimes wonder does basic buy/sell in line with TA + paying tax still result in one being better of than being an investor and 'riding the waves' yet not paying tax?

Personal I like being a trader an paying TAX(means I'm making money) than beng an investor I don't know how a seroius T/A investor can be anything but a trader

Phaedrus
28-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Constant TA must equal 'trading' right?It is constant trading that makes a trader. The means by which they decide what to buy and when to buy/sell is completely immaterial.

I don't know how a serious T/A investor can be anything but a traderIt's easy. All you do is use appropriate indicators and suitably long time periods. I wrote this 10 years ago, and unfortunately the chart has dropped off, but it addresses that very issue :-
http://www.sharechat.co.nz/archives/2001/06/msg00165.shtml

shasta
28-03-2011, 11:00 PM

I should have added those with investor presentations are good, & who provide guidances etc, not those who email all day with nothing but hype to sell.

Phaedrus has already answered the trader question, TA using long term indicators does not equal trading, but a snapshot of market sentiment using longer term indicators, ie 200 day moving average instead of 30...

trackers
29-03-2011, 11:57 AM
cut my losers faster and let my winners run.

I recently jotted down some things I'm trying (with mixed success) to stick to.. In no particular order:

1. Don't sell a company thats moving up strongly. You will give away more profit doing this than you will potentially lose by bailing out slightly too late
Instead, Compromise: If a share goes ballistic and you want to lock in profits as the company moves to an overvalued state, sell a third or at most, a half. Rethink your exit plan, what TA indicators will I use ??
2. Don't sit outside the trading range when trying to take (or leave) a position!
- You know that this is a cop out and shows you don't decisively know what to do. If you want in or out, identify the range and sit within it.
- If the share moves out of the range and into my order, then it is beginning an uptrend which I'm selling at the bottom of - Minimising returns. If it moves down below its trading range into my buy order its beginning a downtrend which I'm buying into the top of.
3. Research your own bloody stocks. The day you start buying based on HC tips is the day you should quit investing.
4. Do not ever buy a share whose share price is dependant on the outcomes of uncertain events I.E a drilling programme that may or may not be successful!! Easier said then done, but you need to identify undervalued companies / companies with cashflow / companies with a suite of attractive projects... Or you are relying on a single point of failure which does fail A LOT OF THE TIME. The ASX is littered with thousands of these companies. A good idea is to focus on undervalued mining companies with certified JORC resources. For Oil&Gas plays, Buy Early and Sell Before Spud (BESBS) - The money you will save on a dry hole FAR outweights the premium you will pay to re-enter the stock if the drill is successful.
5. "Anticipation of success is much more exciting than the actual fact" - Translation: Get in before the penny drops and the market wakes up to whats about to happen. Don't get in after its happened! I.e Get set early, BEFORE everyone else, not after. In fact ask yourself this: “Is the market already fully aware of all key aspects of this company”
6. Overtrading kills multi-bagger returns. It also drums up thousands of dollars in trade fees that are coming directly out of your pocket - Trust the facts and only take quick wins when you know you are absolutely certain you can quickly get back in
7. You know more about the markets than most people - You CAN do this, but will you?
8. THINK LIKE A FUNDAMENTALIST; TRADE LIKE A TECHNICIAN Use FA to identify and buy into stocks, then use TA to get out of them!! TA will maximise profits and minimise losses. It won’t help you get into stocks though, as we’re looking for under the radar undervalued plays.

What do you fellas reckon about those?

shasta
29-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I'd enlarge the font & have #8 in flashing neon lights!

trackers
29-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Your wish is my command :)

http://iforce.co.nz/i/lvqd3gn4.1hv.gif

shasta
29-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Your wish is my command :)

http://iforce.co.nz/i/lvqd3gn4.1hv.gif

Thats cool, i was joking cos i wouldnt have the foggiest on how to do that, youre in IT arent you?

trackers
29-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I know lol I was just having you on - I just used an online logo generator (wouldve used straight html but the forums wouldnt accept that obviously), only took me a minute

Corporate
30-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Very good list trackers.. i'm tempted to print it out and put it on my wall. I really like this one...
Do not ever buy a share whose share price is dependant on the outcomes of uncertain events I.E a drilling programme that may or may not be successful!! Easier said then done, but you need to identify undervalued companies / companies with cashflow / companies with a suite of attractive projects... Or you are relying on a single point of failure which does fail A LOT OF THE TIME. The ASX is littered with thousands of these companies. A good idea is to focus on u[/FONT][/COLOR]ndervalued mining companies with certified JORC resources[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]. For Oil&Gas plays, Buy Early and Sell Before Spud (BESBS) - The money you will save on a dry hole FAR outweights the premium you will pay to re-enter the stock if the drill is successful.

shasta
30-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Very good list trackers.. i'm tempted to print it out and put it on my wall. I really like this one...

As my LOW EV & NEGATIVE EV lists expand, in future i just might post the JORC resources, or top 10 etc