PDA

View Full Version : Pie Australasian Growth Fund - Mike Taylor - #1

Lizard
30-03-2011, 09:08 AM
After a brief exchange on the MAQ thread, I thought it was time the boutique fund/fund manager "Pie Funds" (http://www.piefunds.co.nz/index.html) got a thread of their own.

This little fund was ranked top performing fund in New Zealand for both 2009 and 2010 by Morningstar (http://www.morningstar.co.nz/) and Fundsource - and with a 55% gain in 2010, it quite likely would have been a stand-out in the Aussie funds as well. Having started the fund at, what would seem in hindsight to be, almost the worst possible time - Dec 2007 - Mike Taylor has performed something close to a miracle in almost doubling the value for his first investors in that period.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1204598/performancegraphFeb2011.jpg

History shows how hard it is for a successful small cap fund manager to continue at the top - eventually success forces them to invest in larger and more liquid companies, where finding that valuation edge can be more difficult. To help prevent this, Mike has recently announced that the Australasian Growth Fund is to be capped at $25m of investor funds. A brave move, given the limit that must place on the amount of fees he can command. Instead, there are hints of a new fund.

Anyway, well done Mike and look forward to following progress from here. :)

POSSUM THE CAT
30-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Lizard is this a listed Fund. If so please supply ticker. Thanks

Oiler
30-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Liz
I have a few dollars in this PIE fund and as you say Mike has done a great job. Whats more he sends out a monthly newsletter on various topical things such as his recent trip to meet the team at Red Fork Energy in the US as the fund held a slice of RFE. Very entertaining reading.

A couple of months later he sold out of RFE and is probably whipping the cat now.

Lizard
30-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Lizard is this a listed Fund. If so please supply ticker. Thanks

No, not listed.

Nor do I work for them or have any funds with them (in case I sounded a bit like it!). I just follow them like a favourite sports team (and enjoy the newsletters)... :)

CJ
30-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Mike has recently announced that the Australasian Growth Fund is to be capped at $25m of investor funds. A brave move, given the limit that must place on the amount of fees he can command. Instead, there are hints of a new fund. with those sort of returns, it will grow significantly larger than $25m

If he opens a new fund, presumably it would be in a different area, otherwise, he will just be competing with himself and he may as well just combine the funds.

percy
30-03-2011, 07:41 PM
pretty impressive record.Do not hold,but leaves me for dead.

Sauce
30-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I just follow them like a favourite sports team (and enjoy the newsletters)... :)

Were you teased at school by any chance Lizard?

Sorry I couldn't help it.. Joking of course ! :p

Lizard
30-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Were you teased at school by any chance Lizard?

No. Just regarded from a safe distance... :eek2: :D :p