PDA

View Full Version : Opening an Australian Bank account

arcticblue
12-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Currently I have all my cash sitting in NZ bank accounts earning interest here. I've seen a few foreign currency accounts with the NZ banks but they all seem to pay very low interest. Checking out the Australian bank websites (http://www.rabodirect.com.au/) it seems like it is possible to get 6%+ on term deposits of less than a year.

Now I realise there is also exchange rate risk to factor in but I think currently it looks worthwhile.

So how do I open a bank account with a foreign bank? I presume most want you to be a resident, how do you get round this?
Are there extra fees if you don't reside in Australia?
And what is the easiest/cheapest way to transfer between NZ and AU banks? What sort of costs are involved? Is there a minimum size transaction required to make it worthwhile?

Oh and if anyone can suggest somewhere better than Oz then please do tell. EU looks sick, pound too, as does USD.

POSSUM THE CAT
12-04-2011, 05:32 PM
articblue Take a holiday To Australia or if you are a direct broking client email alice saville

CJ
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Unless you are investing in the cross rates (ie. expect to get a forex gain), I dont think it would be worth chasing the higher interest rate in Australia and you could potentially lose out with forex.

janner
13-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Hong Kong looks to be worth consideration.

Difficulties with residency though.. ( not insurmountable ) .

With the HK$ pegged to the US$ and with the US$ tanking.
I think that the HK gvt will in the not to distant future ( 2/3 years ) protect HK's position as a major financial centre by either going with the Rem or float.

trackers
13-04-2011, 09:58 AM
I've investigated opening Aus accounts on a few occasions (mainly to use Aus brokers) - The couple I talked to said the key thing was having a proper postal address in Aus - Tricky!

Agree that interest on foreign currency accounts tend to be rubbish

arcticblue
15-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the responses, it sounds about as hard as I suspected. I think I'll put it on the back burner for now. If anyone has any extra info though please continue to post.

h2so4
15-04-2011, 11:32 AM
https://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/personal_finance/15/23/1/2

JLE
21-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I recently opened an account with CBA which was fairly straightforward (This was to replace the Macquarie CMT account which is no longer available). I use it to direct credit dividends from OZ companies and occasionally B Pay for share offers. They have a NZ toll free number. However you do pay bank charges and NRWT on any interest.