PDA

View Full Version : Buying LinkedIn shares on the NYSE

crikeymike
30-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi guys, I am wanting to purchase a small amount of shares in LinkedIn on the NYSE, what is the best way of going about this? I have contacted 1 broker already and they said that I would have to buy a significant amount of shares so that brokerage fees wouldn't take up a proportionally large part of my investment.

Was wanting to invest $500-$1000 or so, just small time.

Would appreciate any advice offered, thanks

Stranger_Danger
30-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh dear.

First time poster, first share posted about LinkedIn.

Please don't tell me this is the first share you intend to purchase, or another tick goes in my "Is a new tech bubble clearly forming?" column.

My advice : Keep saving more money, saving is great. When you have enough, buy shares in an actual company, a key sign of which is normally having a P/E of less than 1 zillion.

spmcg
30-05-2011, 08:15 PM
USD$500 would get you 5 or so shares. Using a NZ broker will be too expensive. Brokerage at a US online broker will be about USD10.00 but you need to set up account, will take some time. On the other hand the time spent will be useful in terms of doing some more research and also seeing the volatility of LNKD settle so you get a true idea.

FWIW, I'm a new poster as well but have been in the US market for a few years - I wouldn't touch LNKD with a barge pole. As Stranger Danger said, buy something in a company that actually makes something or sells something. Try Google stock screener for a start. Look for a name/product you recognise.

Entrep
30-05-2011, 10:00 PM
etrade.com is what i use

you should be shorting lnkd as opposed to buying

CJ
06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Cheapest way would be using a CFD via CMC etc