PDA

View Full Version : Income stocks (NZX)

Corporate
17-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to park some cash in the NZX (I'm mostly invested in the ASX). I'm looking for companies with solid balance sheets, dividend paying and with the prospect of growth. At the moment I've only really found that RBD fits that criteria. Can anylone else offer some others?

Cheers
C

percy
17-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to park some cash in the NZX (I'm mostly invested in the ASX). I'm looking for companies with solid balance sheets, dividend paying and with the prospect of growth. At the moment I've only really found that RBD fits that criteria. Can anylone else offer some others?

Cheers
C
Have a look at AWF.There is a thread for it.

Lizard
17-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Briscoes Group (BGR) - performing pretty steadily and has strong balance sheet with a good record of dividend payouts. Though I am surprised they haven't come under more pressure from on-line retailing yet. Currently paying total annual divs of 9cps (fully imputed) on share price of $1.45.

Colonial Motor (CMO) - pretty illiquid, but been a good yield share over the years. Currently paying 16cps (I think only partially imputed though) on share price of $2.41.

Often better to look to those with middle of the road type yields, but with a good chance of increasing, as these can bump up yield quite quickly and may end up getting you just as much in divs in the next 18 months, plus some capital gains to boot. SKL, TUR and STU are all possibles for increased dividend payouts over the next 12-18 months, so could be worth a look. Am sure there are others.

CJ
17-07-2011, 01:22 PM
What yeild are you looking for.

Download this table to excel: http://www.irg.co.nz/irgpages/pricerat.php

Filter out all those that dont meet the required percentage - that will narrow it down.

I would look at AirNZ (disc: holder). Provided europe doesn't blow up, I think the shareprice wont fall further and pays a good yield.

JemT
17-07-2011, 01:47 PM
How do you import the above table into excel?

Lizard
17-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Works with copy & paste for me, though had to re-locate the headings above the columns.

modandm
17-07-2011, 02:07 PM
rbd was all you could come up with... seriously? :D

I mean there are plenty of good income stocks on the NZX. The problem has always been a lack of growth stocks.

Two of the blue chips I favour for income are:

- WHS (there won't be any growth but yield and payout ratio is high) - defensive
- SKC - a top quartile returns stock with a solid if not spectacular yield and has growth prospects - also defensive due to monopoly positions
- TPW - best of the utilities - however may rerate lower with listing of SOEs

Smaller companies

DGL - A nice income stock with growth prospects

Looking at the list below - there aren't many besides these that pay a goof yield and importantly DON'T face significant capital risk.

Im invested in AIR but I would never describe it as an income stock - despite the nice dividend at the current low SP

Lizard
17-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Sorted for yield - everything above 4%.

APN News&Media APN 17.1
TeamTalk TTK 13.3
Turners Auctio TUA 13.3
Hallenstein HLG 12.5
Pumpkin Patch PPL 11
Barramundi BRM 10.9
Kingfish KFL 10.4
Restaurant RBD 10.1
Warehouse WHS 9.9
Tower TWR 9.7
Livestock LIC 9.6
Colonial Motor CMO 9.4
NZ Experience NZE 9.4
Telstra TLS 9.3
Briscoe Group BGR 8.9
NPT Ltd NPT 8.9
Telecom TEL 8.9
Methven MVN 8.7
Air NZ AIR 8.6
Argosy ARG 8.6
GoodmanFielder GFF 8.5
NZ Oil&Gas NZO 8.5
AWF Group AWF 8.1
Marlin Global MLN 8.1
Vector VCT 8
Goodman Prop GMT 7.9
Kiwi Income KIP 7.7
South Port SPN 7.6
Vital Health VHP 7.6
Westpac WBC 7.6
Seeka SEK 7.5
Nuplex Ind NPX 7.4
NZ Wool Serv WSI 7.3
TrustPower TPW 7
SKYCITY SKC 6.9
Abano Health ABA 6.8
Cavalier Corp CAV 6.8
AMP NZ Office ANO 6.7
Prop for Ind PFI 6.7
Scott Tech SCT 6.7
Ebos Group EBO 6.6
F&P Healthcare FPH 6.6
Kathmandu KMD 6.6
Contact Energy CEN 6.5
DNZ Property DNZ 6.5
Horizon Energy HED 6.5
Kermadec KPF 6.5
AMP AMP 6.3
Sanford SAN 6.3
NZX NZX 6.2
Finzsoft FIN 6.1
Freightways FRE 6.1
Steel & Tube STU 6.1
ASB Capital ASBPA 6
Zintel ZIN 6
Jasons Travel JTM 5.9
ANZ Bank ANZ 5.8
CDL Invest CDI 5.7
smartMIDZ MDZ 5.7
Smiths City SCY 5.7
Delegats DGL 5.6
ASB Capital 2 ASBPB 5.5
smartTENZ TNZ 5.5
Infratil IFT 5.4
Skellerup SKL 5.2
Northland Port NTH 5.1
Opus OIC 5.1
Auck Airport AIA 4.9
NZ Refining NZR 4.9
Port of Tga POT 4.7
Kirkcaldies KRK 4.4
Michael Hill MHI 4.4
Salvus SAM 4.4
Fletcher Build FBU 4.2
smartFONZ FNZ 4.2
Hellaby HBY 4.2
Tourism Hold THL 4.2

whirly
17-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I agree with CJ. AIR is looking well priced for capital gains and pays a good divvy with a DRP.

17-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Make sure you check some of those yields in the table before deciding. eg CAV is 4.76% not 6.5% on current prices. NZO is there and has stated no dividend this year.

troyvdh
17-07-2011, 06:08 PM
....as 777 ,,,says please check (sorry Liz)....CEN is 4.65.....tax paid ...which well actually matches Liz"s 6.5 %....so Im not really sure what im saying.....
.....as an aside I do find it interesting that folk report fondly re KIP....and are largely mute re PFI ...given there respective SP performances in recent times......mmmmm.....like 20 % ...which could askew calculations re returns....perhaps it pays to be unsexy

...personally I would rather put pins in my eyes than walk through a shopping mall.....

percy
17-07-2011, 06:17 PM
....as 777 ,,,says please check (sorry Liz)....CEN is 4.65.....tax paid ...which well actually matches Liz"s 6.5 %....so Im not really sure what im saying.....
.....as an aside I do find it interesting that folk report fondly re KIP....and are largely mute re PFI ...given there respective SP performances in recent times......mmmmm.....like 20 % ...which could askew calculations re returns....perhaps it pays to be unsexy

...personally I would rather put pins in my eyes than walk through a shopping mall.....

PFI has Masfen and Rolleston as directors and both have a lot of flesh in the game.I agree malls do not appeal.{ Have retailers as tenants!}

p2r
18-07-2011, 07:15 AM
VCT would have to be safest, pretty much a monoply lines company so they get regulated if they make too much money, and so I presume can never perform spectacularly or poorly.

Watch out for KFL, BRM and MLN as these can have a good yeild as Fisher Funds take it out of the capital value... I don't know if this applies to others.

People are expecting CAV to be a big winner in Christchurch where lots of new carpet is needed.

What about Auck Airport - in for a boost in world cup?

OldRider
18-07-2011, 08:34 AM
I have a rule - always check data. I have found it worthwhile to maintain my own database.
Takes a bit of work and though not perfect is consistent.

Corporate: I am surprised POT did not come up on your search, and has not been mentioned
by any other poster.

I have only made a single purchase of this stock -in March 2001 @$5.68. Since then there has been a capital
reduction and repayment, then a 1/1 bonus issue, giving cost per share of $2.75 Dividends since then have more than repaid the initial buy.

From my data records IRR 18.12 %, dividend never under 5% and dividend growth close to 10% a year average Liabilities @ 30.10 % of assets.
Revenues more than doubled over period. Worthy of consideration I think.

Lizard
18-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Make sure you check some of those yields in the table before deciding. eg CAV is 4.76% not 6.5% on current prices. NZO is there and has stated no dividend this year.

I think the IRG list includes imputation credits. That is probably actually the fairest comparison for the average tax-paying NZer.

Maybe some broker data-bases provide a list of forward-looking yield for stocks they cover - which would be more useful in some respects to anyone wanting to buy now.

18-07-2011, 09:05 AM
To be consistent then Lizard they should include the PIE tax deduction for the property trusts.Puts some of them up around 10%. However a handy table and thanks for pasting it.