PDA

View Full Version : automated systems developers

iansane
08-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I noticed there weren't any threads involving automated systems.

Is anyone a developer of such systems? I have been developing strategies by myself, learning what I could. Without a background in statistics I can say for sure I would be broke.

Here are my results since testing live. (forex)
85 trades since august 5th (I actually went live 3 weeks earlier but so many bugs. still quite profitable, but hardly representative of the strategies so I left it out), broker verifiable.

10,000 contract size (1 mini lot) per trade.

Avg net profit(USD): 15.29

Profit factor(gross profit/loss) 2.56, long 1.86, short 3.55

Avg win: 30.06
Avg loss: 59.62
% winrate: 83.53

Stoploss: 50-130 depending on currency pair.

Account size is irrelevant due to different risk preferences, but I started with 4000nzd.

The main drawback of being independent is that it is lonely, it would be great to meet others and share opinions and views(not proprietary infomation)... bad experiences.

RazorX
09-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi iansane

I have tried a few free automated systems with less than convincing results. I haven't yet found a bot that works well consistently, and I don't know how to program them. I manually trade forex. (I don't suppose you'd be willing to let me test your system myself would you?... :D)

If you want a lot more interaction with forex traders then try meetpips.com Sharetrader is mainly a share based website so not an awful lot goes on in the forex boards. (dumbass is trying to keep the NZDUSD thread alive :))

Do you have a timeframe preference, or one that is best with your system? I find most autobots work off the 1 min charts which is probably why they fail.

Cheers

RazorX

iansane
09-10-2011, 10:26 PM
hello RazorX,

i program and test ideas myself, i dont have direct access to the interbank market yet.
i will try that website out, but probably going to try out the STANZ monthly meetings first.

as for timeframe preferences, retail spreads generally kill anything below 10mins that doesnt have relatively wide stops and limits.
people are being ripped off by dealing desks and i dont think my systems would survive with their rediculous execution and spreads.

60min is a good timeframe to start but recently i have been able to develop strategies as low as 10min timeframes (9 pairs, averaging 300 trades /4 years each, going live with them this week).

there is a lot more to auto trading than the strategy itself (fees/infrastructure/monitoring). leasing/public availability is out of the question because of this reason.

arcticblue
10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Your win rate seems very high, is this just based on the past two months trading? And you average loss seems very large. How many consecutive losses can you sustain before you go broke?

iansane
10-10-2011, 02:32 PM
yes since august 5th.
since 10k contract size is the minimum, i started with 4000nzd for testing purposes.

i aim to calibrate each pair for maximum 1% stoploss depending on backtested variance.

if i have a relatively higher variance low profit factor strategy i will be aiming to risk around 0.5% (just an estimate for now, will do some statistics later).

i have enough capital to sustain approx. 500 stoplosses at 10k contracts, but im just testing at minimum levels for another 2 months before i start proper money management