PDA

View Full Version : The Zurich Axioms

lou
11-01-2012, 04:10 PM
A book quoted by Hoop in the Trade Me Tread. I thought it looked interesting so I gave it a read. I found it a very good investing book and it had a number of useful rules or Axioms. Alot of this fits into other investing stragegies but I thought I would post a summary for you guys;

There are 12 major Axioms and 15 sub minor axioms.

On Risk:
Major Axiom 1 - If there is no element of risk there will not be a significant return – if you are not worried, you are not risking enough. (smart risks)
Minor Axiom 1 - Always play for meaningful stakes – if an amount is so small that its loss won’t make any significant difference, then it isn’t likely to bring any significant gains either.
Minor Axiom 2 - Resist the allure of diversification.

On Greed:
Major Axiom 2 - Always take your profit too soon.
Minor Axiom 3 - Decide in advance what gain you want from a venture, and when you get it, get out.

On Hope:
Major Axiom 3 - When the ship starts sinking, don’t pray. Jump. Stick to your stop losses 10%-15% of the peak.
Minor Axiom 4- Accept small losses cheerfully as a fact of life. Expect to experience several while awaiting a large gain.

On Forecasts:
Major Axiom 4 - Human behaviour cannot be predicted. Distrust anyone who claims to know the future, however dimly. Forecasts change so don't cling to them. You need to be adaptive.

On Patterns:
Major Axiom 5 - Chaos is not dangerous until it starts to look orderly.
Minor Axiom 5 - Beware the historian’s trap – it is based on the age-old but entirely unwarranted belief that the orderly repetition of history allows for accurate forecasting in certain situations.
Minor Axiom 6 - Beware the chartist’s illusion – it is characteristic of human minds to perceive links of cause and effect where none exist. That head shoulders pattern or elliott wave is nothing more than squiggly lines on a piece of paper.
Minor Axiom 7 - Beware of correlation and causality delusions
Minor Axiom 8 - Beware the gambler’s fallacy – there’s no such thing as “Today’s my lucky day” or “I’m hot tonight”.

On Mobility:
Major Axiom 6 - Avoid putting down roots. They impede motion. An investment you can't sell out of can be costly.
Minor Axiom 9 - Do not become trapped in a souring venture because of sentiments like loyalty and nostalgia.
Minor Axiom 10 - Never hesitate to abandon a venture if something more attractive comes into view.

On Intuition:
Major Axiom 7 - A hunch can be trusted if it can be explained.
Minor Axiom 11 - Never confuse a hunch with a hope.

On the Occult:
Major Axiom 8 - It is unlikely that God's plan for the universe includes making you rich
Minor Axiom 12 - If astrology worked, all astrologers would be rich.
Minor Axiom 13 - A superstition need not be exorcised. It can be enjoyed, provided it is kept in its place.
Be an Atheist when you are investing.

On Optimism & Pessimism:
Major Axiom 9 - Optimism means expecting the best, but confidence mean knowing how you will handle the worst. Never make a move if you are merely optimistic.

On Consensus:
Major Axiom 10 - Disregard the majority opinion. It is probably wrong.
Minor Axiom 14 - Never follow speculative fads. Often, the best time to buy something is when nobody else wants it.

On Stubbornness:
Major Axiom 11 - If it doesn’t pay off the first time, forget it. An investment does not owe you anything.
Minor Axiom 15 - Never try to save a bad investment by “averaging down”.

On Planning:
Major Axiom 12 - Long-range plans engender the dangerous belief that the future is under control. It is important never to take your own long-range plans or other people’s seriously.

RazorX
11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Some interesting points there lou. Thanks for posting.

lou
15-01-2012, 09:56 AM
@Bleg the Zurich axioms are niether TA or FA. That is one of the things I like about them.

It does have a lot detractors. I think it is best to incorporate a range of stratagies rather than relying solely on one.

The problem is chopping and changing between stratagies could do more harm than good.

lou
15-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Yea I see your point.

I guess what the axioms were trying to outline is that is fine but if you are continuously buying into a falling market you will be going nowhere. They are more trying to say pick the bottom. If you mistake the bottom get out and get back in at the bottom.

If you are buying based on fundamentals and being patient that is a different strategy. However it is possible the markets can remain irrational longer they you can remain solvent.

Here is a negative book review http://www.dailyspeculations.com/wordpress/?p=428 blasting the book for what it does not cover. It is funny though the comments are positive.